big0 v Trail 8, part II- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew

big0 v Trail 8, part II

Some of you probably remember my first attempt at tackling that tight switchback drop turn on trail 8 in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.

Well, I got back at it Tuesday. Four months later. Made some progress...

from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice work Mike!...........Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice job Mike!
    My favorite two quotes from that one:
    - "Must be the extra weight from the camera throwing me off"
    - "And that's how it's done and I ain't going back"
    Last edited by jcsxj; 08-24-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Huffy Rider
    I love watching your videos.

"No Clue Crew"
    Oh and just to answer your question.......

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsxj View Post
    Nice job Mike!
    My favorite two quotes from that one:
    - "Must be the extra weight from the camera throwing me off"
    - "And that's how it's done and I'm ain't going back"
    I'll add another one -
    - "F*cking Rock!"
    I say that at least 10 times a ride out there!

Way to go Mike! If anything, you are one 'persistent SOB!'

"...and when all else fails, the 'EG Line' prevails!"
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

pedaller
    "3rd time didn't work so well"

I actually cringed as you fell into the rock pile. Nice work.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Ya, ****ing A, nice ****ing video. Way to keep ****ing after it. Your a ****ing hard charger. Dude, just messing with ya. . ****ing sweet.
    SHITBIRD

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post

Hey. I have video footage naming it the Verde Line which I believe predates you EG jockeys started abusing it, but I could be wrong...

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Congrats on the fine achievements there Mike!

mtbr member
    Wish I had sound on my com. I know I'm missing out on some comedy! Great persinstace once again. ALways inspirational,

After watching several of your videos I have noticed your handle bars are a little long. Ever thought of shaving an inch or two off of them. It might help you with your balance on tight turns such as this one.
    Also, I like to do some figure 8's in the parking lot before a ride. Tightening them up til i'm almost turning completly to my knee. It helps A LOT!
    Also lower your seat so you can put some more weight on the back tire whe you pull back through the turn.
    Never argue with a f%cking Know it all!

mtbr member
    Thanks. As usual, nice video and great commentary!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is youll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Mike that was a huge improvement from last time, you have come along way in a short time.
    Good job

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by LJYJ View Post
    Wish I had sound on my com. I know I'm missing out on some comedy! Great persinstace once again. ALways inspirational,

After watching several of your videos I have noticed your handle bars are a little long. Ever thought of shaving an inch or two off of them. It might help you with your balance on tight turns such as this one.
    Also, I like to do some figure 8's in the parking lot before a ride. Tightening them up til i'm almost turning completly to my knee. It helps A LOT!
    Also lower your seat so you can put some more weight on the back tire whe you pull back through the turn.
    You may have that backwards on the bars.

Wide bars are typically better for control because they are less sensitive to minor input. A small movement at the end of a long lever results in even smaller sweep of movement at a point along the lever closer to the fulcrum.

That's why DH and FR riders typically have 28-30" bars. Shorter bars mean a small movement will have a bigger impact, not something you want when being jostled about, and small adjustments can be made without huge consequences in order to finesse through whatever one is trying to accomplish.

Longer bars may limit movement in other ways, of course, and may be a liability on narrower trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    You may have that backwards on the bars.

Wide bars are typically better for control because they are less sensitive to minor input. A small movement at the end of a long lever results in even smaller sweep of movement at a point along the lever closer to the fulcrum.

That's why DH and FR riders typically have 28-30" bars. Shorter bars mean a small movement will have a bigger impact, not something you want when being jostled about, and small adjustments can be made without huge consequences in order to finesse through whatever one is trying to accomplish.

Longer bars may limit movement in other ways, of course, and may be a liability on narrower trails.
    Never mind

mtbr member
    Never mind
    DesertCrawler is right.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Its personal preference really...

No Clue Crew
    Man you have a lot of time on your hands down there at the station!

Shovel Ready
    Nice job Mike.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

mtbr member
    His bars are wider then his shoulders.... Nuff said.

Does the above quote look familiar . If its personal preference why did you bring it up? You would be amazed with 30" bars.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good job Mike, way to stick with it.

I don't think it was the camera weight though, take a look at your gps zip ties, trim them down a bit and you should cruise right through there next time.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Man you have a lot of time on your hands down there at the station!
    Not really, almost 20 years of working in Photoshop has it's advantages.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    I don't think it was the camera weight though, take a look at your gps zip ties, trim them down a bit and you should cruise right through there next time.
    Dammit! I didn't think about that. You're probably right...

Not really, almost 20 years of working in Photoshop has it's advantages.
    20 years and that's all you got? Weak

"No Clue Crew"
    20 years and that's all you got? Weak
    Is that a stone being tossed my way?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is that a stone being tossed my way?
    Looked more like a brick to me

He's kinda got a point though....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    His bars are wider then his shoulders.... Nuff said.

Does the above quote look familiar . If its personal preference why did you bring it up? You would be amazed with 30" bars.

No Clue Crew
    I appreciate the tips...

I definitely like the wider bars. I just upgraded from the stock 660mm to 711mm and it feels better. And my seat was as low as it would go. I do practice tight circles & trackstanding moderately often. I practice the tight circles in my double garage with my truck in it so I only the width of a vehicle with which to turn. I usually have plenty of room. That practice and all the freeriding on National & Mormon have improved me greatly in just a few months.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I appreciate the tips...

I definitely like the wider bars. I just upgraded from the stock 660mm to 711mm and it feels better. And my seat was as low as it would go. I do practice tight circles & trackstanding moderately often. I practice the tight circles in my double garage with my truck in it so I only the width of a vehicle with which to turn. I usually have plenty of room. That practice and all the freeriding on National & Mormon have improved me greatly in just a few months.
    My 6" bike came with 28" bars and a 70mm stem. Tonight I put 30" bars and a 50mm stem on the rig. They are wide. We'll see how that works out on Mingus this Saturday, and how much I have given up on climbs sometime next week.

I love bike!
    That is a heckofa tricky obstacle. Headed out that way after riding with noosa2 for a quick loop and was glad I did. Rode up trail 8 north to south which is a pretty fun/challenging in itself. Scoped out the sharp turn in your vid and decided I'd continue up to the top where the bench is and turn around for the fun DH. Got back to the sharp left with an idea to stay high right as it just looks too sharp a turn to stay centered in the trail. Tried it a couple times and then the third made it down the step but just couldn't ride it out. Decided to try one more time and clean the whole thing and it turned into about 12 more tries with an arse over elbows mixed in with some leg carnage. Finally cleaned the whole thing and rode it out on my final attempt

Mike. I think your persistence in your video kicked in for me too. Not to mention all the hikers that kept commenting how crazy I was for even trying. Glad I stuck with it as I was pretty stoked and made for a nice last part of my ride

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    That is a heckofa tricky obstacle. Headed out that way after riding with noosa2 for a quick loop and was glad I did. Rode up trail 8 north to south which is a pretty fun/challenging in itself. Scoped out the sharp turn in your vid and decided I'd continue up to the top where the bench is and turn around for the fun DH. Got back to the sharp left with an idea to stay high right as it just looks too sharp a turn to stay centered in the trail. Tried it a couple times and then the third made it down the step but just couldn't ride it out. Decided to try one more time and clean the whole thing and it turned into about 12 more tries with an arse over elbows mixed in with some leg carnage. Finally cleaned the whole thing and rode it out on my final attempt

Mike. I think your persistence in your video kicked in for me too. Not to mention all the hikers that kept commenting how crazy I was for even trying. Glad I stuck with it as I was pretty stoked and made for a nice last part of my ride
    The easiest line for me was the middle line.

There's the left line that's a rut which puts you so tight that the turn at the bottom of the step is nearly impossible. To someone of my meager skills anyway.

The high line is a good one 'cause it lines you up real well for the turn. But, it bounces you around a lot which makes it an even bigger challenge.

The middle line runs to the right of the rut and to the left of the double/triple rocks on the high line. You roll over the middle rock but it's not as big as the rocks above it and it puts you in a pretty good spot for making the turn. A couple of times I made the turn fine and a couple times I actually rolled up and over that rock on the right side of the trail at the very bottom.

Glad you made it by whatever line you could. All three are challenging and there definitely is a HUGE feeling of success when you roll it clean

When my balance improves I may go try it again and see if I can make the left line. It's such a tight turn it requires ENORMOUS amounts of balance. I don't have enough yet...