Big news for future bike parks at ski areas!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Big news for future bike parks at ski areas!

Check it out. Flagstaff, FBO, Flagstaff Gravity Riders, and many others across the US have been waiting for this to pass in order to have much more summer activity options at US ski areas and yes this includes bike parks! Get stoked AZ, we will be doing everything we can to get the wheels turning to hopefully have a real bike park here at the Arizona Snowbowl! If you want to help please make a donation to the Flagstaff Gravity Riders or get yourself a t shirt by way of the link on Flagstaffbiking.org!

Senate passes bill to allow ski areas to develop offseason activities - The Denver Post

"No Clue Crew"
    That would be so freaking awesome.

That FGR shuttle shirt is sweet but there's no 2X?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That would be nice to see!

Alive and Lurkin'
    Awesome! Thx for posting this!
    Pumpin & Pimpin

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Two things:

1. Great news.
    2. I bought a cool shuttle T-shirt.
    3. If Cenobuns lost some weight he'd fit in an XL shirt. Just buy one. It'll be skin-tight like everything else you wear.

That's actually three things. I wasn't a math major.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Two things:

1. Great news.
    2. I bought a cool shuttle T-shirt.
    3. If Cenobuns lost some weight he'd fit in an XL shirt. Just buy one. It'll be skin-tight like everything else you wear.

That's actually three things. I wasn't a math major.
    Listen up Skinny-fat, just because you fit into an extra-medium that doesn't mean I should be made to feel fat for wearing a man size shirt.

Us big guys have feelings too.

"No Clue Crew"
    Double post
    Last edited by Cenobite39; 10-19-2011 at 09:39 PM.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I need a boys small! I'm bringin back baggy jeans and skinny shirts.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

"Lurkers R us"
    That's awesome! To be honest I had no idea there was regulation in the way of building bike parks at ski resorts. Trestle bike park at Winter park ski resort. Not on Government land maybe?
    Zip lines would be pretty cool too.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

No Clue Crew
    And why did the Snowbowl need the gubment to pass legislation for this to happen? Or should I ask why did the gubment pass legislation that would prevent ski areas from growing business and making money?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I would probably need to read the whole bill to see if this applies to mountains on tribal lands before I get excited. I guess snowbowl is not technically on tribal land but my main concern is this:

Notably, neither the Snowbowl Ski Resort nor the path of the TransCanada pipeline are on tribal lands. Yet the tribes have found footing to challenge these projects because of the religious and/or cultural significance afforded to the respective lands by the tribes that, the tribes argue, must be respected under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993, 42 U.S.C. 2000bb et seq ("RFRA") and the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, as amended through 1992, 14 U.S.C. 470 et seq ("NHPA").

I hope we can work this out with little pushback.
    Last edited by azdog; 10-20-2011 at 08:28 AM.

The .05 percent
    BOOYA its on....
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I would probably need to read the whole bill to see if this applies to mountains on tribal lands before I get excited. I guess snowbowl is not technically on tribal land but my main concern is this:
    That's the first thing I thought, too, as Sunrise is Indian land so they have DH trails...

******ed or Branded??
    I need a boys small! I'm bringin back baggy jeans and skinny shirts.

What you mean "bring back". I Have been seeing you in your Baby GAP size baseball Tee's for over 4 years now.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi View Post
    what you mean "bring back". I have been seeing you in your baby gap size baseball tee's for over 4 years now.
    doh! :d
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    That's the first thing I thought, too, as Sunrise is Indian land so they have DH trails...
    I guess you could call those DH trails. AZ snowbowl is on Forest Service land and that is why this bill is necessary. After the bike park opens at Snowbowl will Sunrise even exist?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    After the bike park opens at Snowbowl will Sunrise even exist?
    Negative!

The .05 percent
    Negative!
    Not really negative, just asking a question. When was the last time you saw any tangeable improvements at Sunrise? Definately have not done any maintance on any of the facilities there. The trails have been unchanged since '06 With the exception of the you can come up and tune our trails and we might give you a lift ticket, what kind of trail development/ maintance has there been? 18.00 is cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for. Have you ever looked into the woods at the top? Garbage all over the place. You don't go to Disney world and get asked to help build the roller coaster if you want to ride.The place is a dump and I am glad that an alternative is on the way. Best news for the Gravity crowd in AZ ever.

"Lurkers R us"
    If snowbowl is on tribal land this ruling has no affect on it. Right? I would think if the tribe rules whether or not to have a bike park. The federal Gov. doesn't have much say there. It's kind of like when Bobby Knievel jumped the canyon on tribal land. The fed told him no, the tribe took the money.
    Even in places that are on fed land I would say the EPA will have something to complain about.
    Just my opinion.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I doubt snowbowl is on tribal land. It's "sacred", but if it was "tribal" they could do what they want and block any development. It's just forest service land that is leased.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Not really negative, just asking a question. When was the last time you saw any tangeable improvements at Sunrise? Definately have not done any maintance on any of the facilities there. The trails have been unchanged since '06 With the exception of the you can come up and tune our trails and we might give you a lift ticket, what kind of trail development/ maintance has there been? 18.00 is cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for. Have you ever looked into the woods at the top? Garbage all over the place. You don't go to Disney world and get asked to help build the roller coaster if you want to ride.The place is a dump and I am glad that an alternative is on the way. Best news for the Gravity crowd in AZ ever.
    I meant negative as in there will be no reason to visit Sunrise anymore. I would much rather ride and party in Flag.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I doubt snowbowl is on tribal land. It's "sacred", but if it was "tribal" they could do what they want and block any development. It's just forest service land that is leased.
    Correct it is not on tribal land but religious and sacred ground to the locals which per my earlier post can still be impacted with the law included in that post.

mtbr member
    There hasn't been much incentive for Snowbowl in the past to build DH trails but maybe this will help. They seem pretty content with the scenic skyride business and the wedding/catering gig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wonder of Mt Lemmon Ski Valley will get interested. Aspen Draw Trail runs right on the ski area boundary in places and the trail starts 200' from the top of the lift.
    Even if they do I'll still ride the road up cause I do the trail with my dogs alot. They won't be allowed on a chair.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    There hasn't been much incentive for Snowbowl in the past to build DH trails but maybe this will help. They seem pretty content with the scenic skyride business and the wedding/catering gig.
    RM, We actually had a meeting with JR and Coco NF a few weeks back and he was pretty enthusiastic, I think their plate has been full with snowmaking though. We are planning to do some hiking soon to scout out the possibilities. It's a fairly new sport but is rapidly growing and as JR put it they believe if it's done right it would make money and if that's the case they are interested. This bill was a real issue that put progress toward possibly having a bike park on hold.