Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bicycle Showcase - RIP

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  dirtbyte 
#1 ·
Damn...I just found out that the Bicycle Showcase on 32nd St and Cactus has been closed forever. I tried to call Kevin this weekend to get my bike scheduled for its routine service and I got the awful "doo doo doo.....the number you have called...602-xxx-xxxx has been changed.....the new number is 480-xxx-xxxx". And the "new" number I was given was the store at Scottsdale/Shea.

I called the Scottsdale/Shea store to see what was up and they told me the 32nd St and Cactus store was shut down "for various reasons". Kevin, the manager of the old store, was moved to the Scottsdale/Shea store but the rest of the staff was let go. I never did speak with Dan (owner of Bicycle Showcase) to get the real story. Someday I will need to stop in the Scottsdale/Shea store and see why they closed the other shop.

Now I've got to find another bike shop to become my "main" shop for my bike service. I just found out that the main wrench at the Landis on Scottsdale/Shea is a friend of a friend, so I might try switching to that store. I had bad luck a long time ago with Landis, but that was with another staff. The guys at the 32nd St and Cactus Bicycle Showcase store were a bunch of nice guys AND they were good mechanics. I don't like the knucklehead wrenches at the Scottsdale/Shea Bicycle Showcase. They never get things right on the first try.

That sucks. I hate seeing a bike shop close. Good luck to the guys who lost their jobs.

Thx...Doug

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you also hear that the New England Pats won the Super Bowl :) (sorry, I knew about BS for about a month now).

Where exactly do you live? I actually avoided the 32nd street shop because they seemed to be clueless when it came to my mt bike (road, on the other hand, they had a grasp). I go to Excellent, but they are at 1-17 and Bell (not close to 32nd street, but close to me). I've heard good things about Valley Cyclery (7th and Bell?). Avoid the running/biking store in the Target shopping center on 7th and Greenway. Prices are way too high.

#3 ·
They were the closest shop to me

skinny-tire said:
Did you also hear that the New England Pats won the Super Bowl :) (sorry, I knew about BS for about a month now).

Where exactly do you live? I actually avoided the 32nd street shop because they seemed to be clueless when it came to my mt bike (road, on the other hand, they had a grasp). I go to Excellent, but they are at 1-17 and Bell (not close to 32nd street, but close to me). I've heard good things about Valley Cyclery (7th and Bell?). Avoid the running/biking store in the Target shopping center on 7th and Greenway. Prices are way too high.
I live near 24st and Shea, so the Bicycle Showcase on 32/Cactus was the closest bike shop to me. I've known Kevin and crew for a long time and they always took good care of me. Yes, Kevin is a roadie, but his wrenches were all good with my old 8-speed Trek 8000. I never had a problem with that shop in the 6 years they worked on that bike.

Originally I went to the Bicycle Showcase at Scottsdale/Shea becuase I worked in Gainey Ranch. They never fixed my bike very well, but I put up with it because they were close to work and a better option than Landis.

Years ago the 32/Cactus shop was Sun Cyclery and they were total *******s. But when it changed to Bicycle Showcase, I starting using them instead of the Scottsdale/Shea store. And I used that shop ever since.

The next closest shop to me is Tommy-O bikes on Tatum and T-bird. I gave them a shot on 2 separate occasions and they dropped the ball. I know Tommy Osborn and he's a really nice guy and will spend a lot of time with you telling stories, but his wrenches are not very good.

So the Landis and Bicycle Showcase shops on Scottsdale/Shea are the next closest bike shops to me. As I said before, I never had good luck with the Scottsdale/Shea Bicycle Showcase. My friend recently purchased a Titus RX from that shop and they did a terrible job putting the bike together.

As it turns out, the main wrench at the Landis on Scottsdale/Shea is a friend of a friend, so I am going to give them another try. I never liked Landis in the past because they felt too "big", like they didn't care about my business (Landis is now a "chain" with 3 shops in the Valley). If I don't get satisfaction from them, I'm not sure where I'll go. The next cluster of bike shops is Airport bikes (Pima/Shea) and Bicycle Ranch (101/FLW).

Thanks for the recommendation about the bike shops. They are all pretty far away from my house. The guy that runs the Valley Cyclery on Bell/7 St used to own the Schwinn dealer on 32/Shea. I bought a Scrambler from him back in 1981 or so. That shop deals in some pretty low-end stuff now.

Thx...Doug

#4 ·
Try Slippery Pig

Eric Angermeier is the owner. He rides MTB and loves the sport. He is always experimenting with new setups on his own rides. Tom Osborne (TommyO) used to be his head wrench. They support both MTB and road.

The shop is on Central Ave, just north of Camelback on the west side of the street.

From your house, down SR51 to Bethany Home, west to Central, then south, its not too far.

I've had good service at both Slippery Pig and TommyO. But, I can understand wanting to change if you have had a couple of poor experiences at a shop.

#5 ·
The Pig

I go to the Pig. I purchased my bike there and also have become friendly with them all. They are very friendly. There is something to knowing the wrenches and them knowing you. I have never liked Landis because the people I dealt with were aloof in the least, but so am I. Others dig Landis. I also have been very happy with Adventure, although they are too far for me.

#6 ·
I know the Pig

pedalAZ said:
Eric Angermeier is the owner. He rides MTB and loves the sport. He is always experimenting with new setups on his own rides. Tom Osborne (TommyO) used to be his head wrench. They support both MTB and road.

The shop is on Central Ave, just north of Camelback on the west side of the street.

From your house, down SR51 to Bethany Home, west to Central, then south, its not too far.

I've had good service at both Slippery Pig and TommyO. But, I can understand wanting to change if you have had a couple of poor experiences at a shop.
My neighbor is good friends with many of the guys at the Pig. He also bought his Kona King Kikapu there. I guess he knows Eric very well.

The only reason I never tried that shop is because my neighbor chooses Landis over the Pig for service (same neighbor who knows the head wrench at Landis). I never asked why...I just assumed they had lousy service. But since both of you vouch for the shop, maybe I'll give them a try.

Thx...Doug

#7 ·
Learn to Wrench...it's cheaper

Learn to wrench and do all your own work. It's much cheaper in the long run and you know it's done right. Plus, if something breaks down out in the field, you will have a much better chance to fixing it or putting temporary fix to get back. I have been doing my own wrenching ever since I bought my first bike and can't remember when I last time took my bike to the LBS.

dgangi said:
I live near 24st and Shea, so the Bicycle Showcase on 32/Cactus was the closest bike shop to me. I've known Kevin and crew for a long time and they always took good care of me. Yes, Kevin is a roadie, but his wrenches were all good with my old 8-speed Trek 8000. I never had a problem with that shop in the 6 years they worked on that bike.

Originally I went to the Bicycle Showcase at Scottsdale/Shea becuase I worked in Gainey Ranch. They never fixed my bike very well, but I put up with it because they were close to work and a better option than Landis.

Years ago the 32/Cactus shop was Sun Cyclery and they were total *******s. But when it changed to Bicycle Showcase, I starting using them instead of the Scottsdale/Shea store. And I used that shop ever since.

The next closest shop to me is Tommy-O bikes on Tatum and T-bird. I gave them a shot on 2 separate occasions and they dropped the ball. I know Tommy Osborn and he's a really nice guy and will spend a lot of time with you telling stories, but his wrenches are not very good.

So the Landis and Bicycle Showcase shops on Scottsdale/Shea are the next closest bike shops to me. As I said before, I never had good luck with the Scottsdale/Shea Bicycle Showcase. My friend recently purchased a Titus RX from that shop and they did a terrible job putting the bike together.

As it turns out, the main wrench at the Landis on Scottsdale/Shea is a friend of a friend, so I am going to give them another try. I never liked Landis in the past because they felt too "big", like they didn't care about my business (Landis is now a "chain" with 3 shops in the Valley). If I don't get satisfaction from them, I'm not sure where I'll go. The next cluster of bike shops is Airport bikes (Pima/Shea) and Bicycle Ranch (101/FLW).

Thanks for the recommendation about the bike shops. They are all pretty far away from my house. The guy that runs the Valley Cyclery on Bell/7 St used to own the Schwinn dealer on 32/Shea. I bought a Scrambler from him back in 1981 or so. That shop deals in some pretty low-end stuff now.

Thx...Doug

#8 ·
second the motion

Epicrider said:
Learn to wrench and do all your own work.
Epic is on it. Over the years, each time I've needed something done, I've diverted the money to buying the tool(s) and then just done it myself. Its usually the same price, but you only have to make the initial outlay - then its all you and all free. You can get complete Pedros tool kits from Nashbar pretty cheap.

All I use shops for any more are things that require expensive tools (headset presses, reamers, BB taps, frame alignment tools, etc). I also go to the pros for wheelbuilding because its something that takes tons of practice to be good at and its crazy cheap when you only pay 20 or 30 for the labor.

Bike down.

#9 ·
Definitely hear ya...but...

AZBound said:
Epic is on it. Over the years, each time I've needed something done, I've diverted the money to buying the tool(s) and then just done it myself. Its usually the same price, but you only have to make the initial outlay - then its all you and all free. You can get complete Pedros tool kits from Nashbar pretty cheap.

All I use shops for any more are things that require expensive tools (headset presses, reamers, BB taps, frame alignment tools, etc). I also go to the pros for wheelbuilding because its something that takes tons of practice to be good at and its crazy cheap when you only pay 20 or 30 for the labor.

Bike down.
I definitely agree that doing my own work is better than having somebody else do it...

...but you're forgetting about a significant ingredient in your equation: time. With a 1 yr old girl and a full-time consulting job, I have very little free time available for leisure, and what little time I do have I'd rather spend riding my bike than fixing my bike. So that's why I usually take my bike to the shop instead of fixing it myself.

Don't get me wrong. I do all of the "little" stuff myself, like adjust the derailleur and v-brakes. Those are simple 5-15 minute adjustments. But when it comes to truing wheels, bleeding disc brakes, and fork maintenance, I take the bike to a shop. And given how much I use my bikes, those "somewhat major" repairs come every 3-4 months.

Thx...Doug

#10 ·
I gotcha...

...bleeding disc brakes, and fork maintenance...

Oh, those repairs. Yeah, I wouldn't mess with them myself either. Then again, my rigid singlespeed with v-brakes, which gets the most use, doesn't have a lot of issues in those departments. And the free time vs children factor is a non-issue, with my wife and I being committed DONKs (dog owners, no kids).

Regards.

#11 ·
Airpark Bikes & Bicycle Ranch

undefined
dgangi said:

Thx...Doug
I live up in N.Scottsdale and know both shops pretty well. I have not had any repairs done at BR but on the occassions I have been in the shop they have been helpful and pretty knowledgeable. I really like Airpark. They are in the shopping plaza on the North side of Shea just West of the 101. Steve is the owner and Brian is his head mechanic. Both are very knowledgeable and are extremely fair from a price perspective. Also, if they don't have to order a part they usually turn the repair around within a day. I had a headset go on my bike at 5:00 on a Saturday, they opened at 11:00 on Sunday and by 3:00 I was back on the trail with a new headset at no cost (I bought my bike there). Point is they know what they are doing, won't oversell you on anything and are fair when it comes to fees. Good luck.

#12 ·
I know this is a *really* old thread.... Came across it searching for something else... Anyway trying to remember what the name of the bike shop that used be be at Tatum and Thunderbird was from back in the 90's (long story - came up in a conversation with a friend) and it is eating me up... I used to hang out in there when I was a kid...

Thought you guys may remember... It was over next to Little Caesars pizza..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.