Beta on Payson area trail conditions- Mtbr.com
    DFL>DNF>DNS

Beta on Payson area trail conditions

Anyone been riding the Payson area trails lately? I'm interested in the condition of the Highline trail from the 260 TH west to the Fish Hatchery, I believe some recent trail work has been completed but haven't heard of any ride reports. What about the Horton Creek trail? Derrick Trail? Any intel on the three trails mentioned would be greatly appreciated.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I rode the Highline trail on Saturday. It is beautiful up there this time of year. The leaves are red, orange and yellow and make you feel like you're in another state. Below is a breakdown of what is ridable on Highline.

1. 260 TH to See Canyon. This is a fun 6 miles that ends with a killer 2 mile DH.
    2. See Canyon west to Derrick. It's 6 miles from See Canyon to the top of Derrick. This trail is all new and is a load of fun.
    3. Derrick to the Campground. This stretch is all down hill and is 2.7 miles long. It is hard to say if this trail is rough cut or completed. I'm hoping more work will be done on it, as it is pretty rough. That said, it is really fun in a Pass Mountain sort of way.
    4. Top of Derrick to Top of Horton. The first mile is done, but 1.5 miles remain to be completed. The hike a bike is not fun so unless you're full of energy, I'd skip this section for a while.
    5. Horton Creek. Horton is all tuned up and is one of the best rides in the area. It's mostly ridden as an out and back. 4 miles up-4 miles down.
    6. Top of Horton to Fish Hatchery. This section is completed and is worth doing.

Very soon you'll be able to ride from the 260 TH to the Fish Hatchery. I don't think I would ever do that, as I would always opt for the 4 mile downhill that Horton Provides. We have VOAZ to thank for all of this tremendous work.

Here is my Strava tracks for Saturday's ride. The first 3 miles got cut off because I forgot to turn on Strava. The little dog leg represents the 1 mile in-between Derrick and Horton that is completed. I rode it, saw it was not completed, and turned around to go down Derrick. It was an awesome ride.

Beta on Payson area trail conditions-screen-shot-2014-11-03-11.22.59-am.jpg

Evan

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Evan,
    That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. I think I'm going to hold off on this one until the Derrick to Horton Creek section is completed.

What I was planning was a shuttled ride, drop a vehicle at the Pine TH then ride from the 260 TH to Pine. I would take the Highline to Horton Creek, down Horton Creek, climb Derrick trail then continue west on the Highline to the Hatchery. From there drop down and pick up the Control road over to Pine. Puts it right around 55 miles.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Evan,
    That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. I think I'm going to hold off on this one until the Derrick to Horton Creek section is completed.

What I was planning was a shuttled ride, drop a vehicle at the Pine TH then ride from the 260 TH to Pine. I would take the Highline to Horton Creek, down Horton Creek, climb Derrick trail then continue west on the Highline to the Hatchery. From there drop down and pick up the Control road over to Pine. Puts it right around 55 miles.
    Soooo... barring unforeseen circumstances, I'm inviting myself to this ride.
    Shit happens...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you wait a week or two the connection between Derrick and Horton will likely be completed. There is a crew actively working on it as we speak. They have a machine out there cutting, so the work is moving swiftly. Once again, thank VOAZ for doing all of this amazing trail work up here.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Like another Beerduro? Time to peg the HTFU meter....

Evan,
    I think I can hold out for a few more weeks. If the weather cooperates perhaps a December run is in order. I need to test out some colder weather gear anyway.
    My Two Schillingsworth

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Like another Beerduro? Time to peg the HTFU meter....

Evan,
    I think I can hold out for a few more weeks. If the weather cooperates perhaps a December run is in order. I need to test out some colder weather gear anyway.
    keep me posted!!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    umm....being the angry a-hole that I am, let's use a bit of data to estimate the probability of Arturo's so called "unforeseen circumstances". In the last 22 days, he has ridden 3 times... so, unforeseen circumstances have obviously happened around 19 of 22 times, assuming equal probability of them.... doing that higher level math that I learned as a grad student at ASU, that is about 86%. However, since this is proportion data, we must look at the confidence intervals of a 19/22 proportion. Doing this math, it actually turns out that Arturo could see these unforeseen circumstances anywhere from 65% to 97% of the time(at a confidence level of 95%. So, Mr. Schilling, the highest probability that you'll not have the Cuban Gator along on your ride is at best 65% but could be as bad as 97%. Plan accordingly.

mtbr member
    Evan, thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    umm....being the angry a-hole that I am, let's use a bit of data to estimate the probability of Arturo's so called "unforeseen circumstances". In the last 22 days, he has ridden 3 times... so, unforeseen circumstances have obviously happened around 19 of 22 times, assuming equal probability of them.... doing that higher level math that I learned as a grad student at ASU, that is about 86%. However, since this is proportion data, we must look at the confidence intervals of a 19/22 proportion. Doing this math, it actually turns out that Arturo could see these unforeseen circumstances anywhere from 65% to 97% of the time(at a confidence level of 95%. So, Mr. Schilling, the highest probability that you'll not have the Cuban Gator along on your ride is at best 65% but could be as bad as 97%. Plan accordingly.
    You are one persistent mofo!! LMAO! Soooo when are you taking me around PMP Ray? Hmmmmm?
    Shit happens...

parenting for gnarness
    so much analysis, and yet so wrong about 7 Springs...

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    so much analysis, and yet so wrong about 7 Springs...
    Ain't that the truth... When I saw Schillings track on strava make a bee-line outta spur cross and take road all the way south, I had a sinking feeling.

parenting for gnarness
    Ain't that the truth... When I saw Schillings track on strava make a bee-line outta spur cross and take road all the way south, I had a sinking feeling.
    i filled my camelback bladder with beer, was too drunk to care by the time we finished Reach 11.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    i filled my camelback bladder with beer, was too drunk to care by the time we finished Reach 11.
    Every time I looked up CB was chugging that bite valve!! Reach11 became quite twisty by the end.....
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    *** Update*** I rode Highline from the fish hatchery to the top of Horton Creek. VOAZ has been working on this section. In fact the trail machine is sitting in the middle of the trail.The sections they have cut are really really good, especially between the powerlines Horton Creek. According to Strava, they have about .08 miles to go until they reach the top of Horton creek. The unfinished portion of trail is still very rideable, but steep in sections. As for Horton, there was a crew of forest service employees working on it today. They were reinforcing several sections with rock. They were also rerouting portions of the trail and adding drainage channels. It's nice to see so much attention given to such an awesome trail. This is going to be a great spot to ride when the temperatures rise in the valley.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks for the update Evan!! Please post up when the final touches are completed.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

This is why we ride Horton Creek

I snapped this photo on my iPhone yesterday while climbing Horton Creek. The forest service (or VOAZ) was there with a large crew tweaking the trail. They had a campfire going and this photo was the result. AZ is truly a beautiful place.

Beta on Payson area trail conditions-horton.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Rode Highline again yesterday. The trail has been connected to the top of Horton. Also Horton has been significantly re-tooled and is better than ever. Word has it that Horton now connects to the Highline east towards Derrick. I was not able to confirm that with my own eyes. Currently the trail machine is halfway down Horton Creek.

That's what I know. Now get out there and ride it.

mtbr member
    Any locals riding in the area this weekend? We are in Sedona thru Sunday and plan to check out some pine/Payton trails on of the days. I have maps but it's always better to ride with someone who knows the trails if possible. Don't mind climbing or HAB, I ride the same type rides as freeskier though not good for that kind of distance right now.

mtbr member
    Gonna give the trails a try tomorrow if anyone wants to join us. Just post up here I'll check before we drive over in the morning. Probably going to roll around 11 am

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How was your ride yesterday?

mtbr member
    Had a pretty good ride despite late start, just posted RR here --> http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/sedon...-a-942095.html

Went up Derrick, across Highline and down Horton. Pretty fun ride. Part of Highline between the two trails is still steep up (HAB) / steep down and really raw, and quite a few big trees down. I don't mind that type of trail but I can see how it would wear people down if it goes on that way for long distances. Sounds like a lot of the Highline trail has been worked on, so I'm sure there are other good routes to put together.

If you guys have suggestions it would be appreciated. I may make this a destination for Memorial day. Thanks for the info you have posted thus far!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Had a pretty good ride despite late start, just posted RR here --> http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/sedon...-a-942095.html

Went up Derrick, across Highline and down Horton. Pretty fun ride. Part of Highline between the two trails is still steep up (HAB) / steep down and really raw, and quite a few big trees down. I don't mind that type of trail but I can see how it would wear people down if it goes on that way for long distances. Sounds like a lot of the Highline trail has been worked on, so I'm sure there are other good routes to put together.

If you guys have suggestions it would be appreciated. I may make this a destination for Memorial day. Thanks for the info you have posted thus far!
    Unfortunately that HAB section is not going to get re-routed or fixed up any time soon. VOAZ has pulled out for the season and it is unknown if they have any plans to link Highline to Horton from the east. It's a shame, because a Derrick-Highline-Horton loop would be amazing. It would offer a challenging and beautiful loop on the summer months when PHX is on fire.

The only other loop option is climbing the road up to the fish hatchery-riding east on Highline- and then down Horton. The 3 miles in the road is a drag, but the rest is fun.

Really the best bang for your buck is an out and back on Horton. It is the jewel of the Rim and is the most fun to climb and descend.

IPA tester

Nice TR as always Evdog We are planning a Memorial day trip already and had the rooms reserved for months. Might see you out there again (not with broken bike parts this time )
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    So I know the section of Highline that's part of the AZTR is heinous.

What about the section from Washington Park to Fish Hatchery? I have noticed that every TR bypasses that in favor of the control road. Does it suck? Has it been worked on? The elevation profile doesn't look friendly.

I haven't decided on plans for this weekend yet but Payson area is a candidate.

mtbr member
    So I know the section of Highline that's part of the AZTR is heinous.

What about the section from Washington Park to Fish Hatchery? I have noticed that every TR bypasses that in favor of the control road. Does it suck? Has it been worked on? The elevation profile doesn't look friendly.

I haven't decided on plans for this weekend yet but Payson area is a candidate.
    I tried to ride it a couple years ago and the trail was totally impassible within a couple of miles of leaving Washington Park. The area was burned in the Dude fire in the early 90's and I do not think the trail had been maintained since that time.

There have been rumors of trail work up there, but I have not gone back to investigate.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    A friend hiked that section just last weekend and said it was 'rough'. I'd probably skip it. Plenty of good stuff to ride up there.
    My Two Schillingsworth