Best viewing area for Whiskey Pro Race- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    28

    Best viewing area for Whiskey Pro Race

    Hey - with the new course what would be some good viewing sites for the race on Sunday?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,322
    The trail on the left side of TB road right before it crosses over to 318 is good, lots of open forest. Thereís a good tech section in Spence Basin with a creek crossing like the old course, that section should be interesting.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  3. #3
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The trail on the left side of TB road right before it crosses over to 318 is good, lots of open forest. Thereís a good tech section in Spence Basin with a creek crossing like the old course, that section should be interesting.
    On my pre-ride last week, which was my first time on that trail, I walked and crossed to the right of natural routing, with the rock slab. Seems to be a pretty difficult move, trying to maintain speed through the water, then climb that uneven rock with wet tires.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,322
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    On my pre-ride last week, which was my first time on that trail, I walked and crossed to the right of natural routing, with the rock slab. Seems to be a pretty difficult move, trying to maintain speed through the water, then climb that uneven rock with wet tires.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There was no way with my tires wet, with no water it would be fun, I tried just riding upstream, but itís like quicksand. The far right bypass line doesnít appear to really be ďon the trailĒ, but I suspect those with foreknowledge will take this. The attempts at riding should be interesting, with some pro dismount action im sure.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There was no way with my tires wet, with no water it would be fun, I tried just riding upstream, but itís like quicksand. The far right bypass line doesnít appear to really be ďon the trailĒ, but I suspect those with foreknowledge will take this. The attempts at riding should be interesting, with some pro dismount action im sure.
    The far right crossing is so much quicker and easier. I was able to ride the main crossing today, but it was hard, and I didn't enter it breathing out my eye balls.

    I will look for you on course Saturday, I am on an Orbea Oiz with a Pendrel Racing Kit. For some reason I suspect that we might end up racing around each other.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  6. #6
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,322
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    The far right crossing is so much quicker and easier. I was able to ride the main crossing today, but it was hard, and I didn't enter it breathing out my eye balls.

    I will look for you on course Saturday, I am on an Orbea Oiz with a Pendrel Racing Kit. For some reason I suspect that we might end up racing around each other.
    Maybe, Iím recovering from foot surgery in December, I donít think Iíll be where I want to be, with limited training, but Iíll know Iíll have fun no matter what. Iíll be on my red 429sl and unmistakeable Alaska Jersey.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  7. #7
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,492
    Injury's are no fun.


    I am entering the race pretty fit, but the temperature and to a lesser extent altitude will be a challenge. I have had 4 rides over 10C this year, does not take a lot to over heat me right now.

    And the trails are so different then what I ride at home. That first descent is so sketchy, my wife left me for dead on it the other day. I am not use to trails that fast and that loose.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    The far right crossing is so much quicker and easier. I was able to ride the main crossing today, but it was hard, and I didn't enter it breathing out my eye balls.

    I will look for you on course Saturday, I am on an Orbea Oiz with a Pendrel Racing Kit. For some reason I suspect that we might end up racing around each other.
    Good luck out there. I am going to race this for the first time a few years. 50 for me. Black Epic with Orange Fox fork. Early Bird kit (Grey with yellow circle. BTW.. Hope Catherine does well and cool to see top level pro talent at this event.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Injury's are no fun.


    I am entering the race pretty fit, but the temperature and to a lesser extent altitude will be a challenge. I have had 4 rides over 10C this year, does not take a lot to over heat me right now.

    And the trails are so different then what I ride at home. That first descent is so sketchy, my wife left me for dead on it the other day. I am not use to trails that fast and that loose.
    I see a high of 78 for saturday... and very dry.. that won't be hot... last year's fire on the rim, the high was 92... so, relatively speaking, you are lucky

  10. #10
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,492
    Well that was hard. Most unfortunate that the 30 entered the single track before me. I think I passed 300 people today.

    Good day though ended up 49th. I cannot complain about that.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  11. #11
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,322
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Well that was hard. Most unfortunate that the 30 entered the single track before me. I think I passed 300 people today.

    Good day though ended up 49th. I cannot complain about that.
    Brutal with the heat, but I survived and finished! Was a bit frustrating descending like you said, but Iím super happy to have finished with no post-surgery issues!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  12. #12
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Brutal with the heat, but I survived and finished! Was a bit frustrating descending like you said, but Iím super happy to have finished with no post-surgery issues!
    I over heated pretty bad on the last climb. I was moving pretty good and then all of the sudden I was in trouble. Fortunately that was close to the end.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  13. #13
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,322
    Well, I rode at the creek really hard like I was going to pin the crossing, which got everyone cheering, then I abruptly stopped, got off my bike, and laid down in the creek
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  14. #14
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,880
    Back on ot....where best to view?🤔
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Well that was hard. Most unfortunate that the 30 entered the single track before me. I think I passed 300 people today.

    Good day though ended up 49th. I cannot complain about that.
    Nice Job,
    I had the same issue with passing. Finished 152nd. They need to start the 30 field at least 30 minutes later (maybe more). I ran into the wave 3 chill pace folks from the top of Sierra Prietta and pass many many riders. I talked to a couple guys in the top 10 and they had the same issue. Except they had faster 30 proof, but effect was similar given speed differential. 30 min might have been enough to ensure the top of 50 merged with the top of 30 rather than the 50 riders merging with 30 riders who were generally slower all across the board.

    Also Cathrine did well. Saw her and Haley in the garden party section running nose to tail in 4/5 at the time.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Back on ot....where best to view?🤔
    i found a really cool spot to view the pros. Easy walking access, cool rock features and long S bends mean I could watch from one spot for 20 seconds. Garden party near white rock.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  17. #17
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,880
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Well that was hard. Most unfortunate that the 30 entered the single track before me. I think I passed 300 people today.

    Good day though ended up 49th. I cannot complain about that.
    300? Dayham! Nice placing with all that traffic.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Similar Threads

  1. Good viewing spots for mountain stages atUSA pro cycling?
    By eggdog in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 03:37 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
  4. Best Whiskey for Riding and Interwebbing for the Front Range?
    By Pabs in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Members who have read this thread: 75

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.