Best South Mountain Trails- Mtbr.com
    Living the Dream

Best South Mountain Trails

Hey all. I live in Tucson and I haven't ridden South Mountain Yet. What is the most fun route to ride on National. Looking for a long technical ride with good climbs and decents. I have a downhill bike & a 5 Spot. I'm would probably ride my 5 Spot. Oh Yeah, I already own Cosmic Ray's & Paul B's Books. Thanks.

I am Doctor Remulak

That depends...

You can't go wrong with a coast to coast ride on National. You'd start at the Pima Canyon parking lot off of 48th Street and ride the full length of National to San Juan then take the road back up to Telegraph Pass, down Telegraph to Desert Classic and return to Pima Canyon. Somewhere around 30 miles.

If you don't want to do that, you could take National to Buena Vista and then go down Geronimo. You come out at a Boy Scout camp and take the road back over to Mormon and back up to National for the final descent back to the parking lot.

Pretty much any route that you take will have plenty of climbing and descents to amuse you.

Mike

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Geronimo is my favorite. Holbert is the most technical. National and National-to-mormon are pretty fun as well, longer, not quite as fast, but still some good technical bits thrown in. I don't recommend Corona Loma, it's simply just too loose to have much fun on it.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Saucy Size
    Agree with Jm. about Corona Loma -- Brian (silversurfer) and I bombed that in mid-December and it was waaay too much work and danger for the payoff. Fun, but I have much more fun on the north side of the mountain.

Geronimo is my current favorite descent off SoMo, followed by National East, then National West, then Mormon (24th St., scary and too short), then Telegraph Pass (tooo crowded).

Mikey laid out a nice combo which I'll just repeat and modify here:

Pima Canyon parking lot up National to Buena Vista Lookout. Turn north, take Geronimo dowwwwwn to the boy scout camp. Hump it over to 24th St and hike-a-bike up Mormon (there's quite a bit of dirt between Geronimo and Mormon, you can avoid a lot of the road bit). Mormon over to National, National down to Javelina, hump up to the top of Javelina, bomb Javelina down to 46th St. lot, then back up Beverly Canyon and back to Pima Canyon parking lot.

It's a long day, probably 4-5 hours at a non-ballbusting pace. Allow up to 6 if it's your first assault on the mountain.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

south mtn trails.

With your 5-spot, all the trails mentioned above will suit your fancy. Good technical climbs and awesome descents.

Drugstore Trailrider

South Mountain

WOW! Just yesterday on the "Introduce Yourself" thread I mentioned that I had never ridden on S. Mountain. Today we were forced to drive to Phoenix from Oro Valley to pick up a rental RV for use at the 24HITOP. (Don't get me started!)

Anyway, my #1 riding buddy here in the Tucson area spent six years in Phoenix, and she knows S. Mountain, so we left early, drove up to Pima Canyon and rode National, Mormon Loop, and more of National beyond Buena Vista parking area and to a point a bit west of all the big comm towers. Time restraints forced us to turn around and double back, but we returned all the way on National to Pima Canyon. It was 14 miles of terrain that I must say is entirely different from anything we ride in the Tucson area. It was a flat-out thrill, and I lost only a modest amount of skin, and less blood. I

t was obvious that we only scratched the surface, but it was way less than a two hour drive so I am certain I will head back there pretty soon. Great to try a new area!
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

Living the Dream

Thanks fellas, One last question

Which sections have the waterfalls on them? Thanks.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

waterfall

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    If you are referring to the "waterfall" on National. here is a photo looking down it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    National Trail, about halfway above the intersection with Mormon Loop and below the Buena Vista lookout.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mr. wonderful
    golly. . .that looks sc-sc-sc-scary!!

by the way, you cropped out the gabe's diamondback perry.