mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Best section of the BCT

I have been riding the Boy Scout loop a lot since it the closest access from home. But looking to try something new. I like to climb so I can reward myself with some down. I like tech too. Anything thats is a challenge.

Trail Monger
    The best section of the BCT is starting from the Rock Springs exit(BCT main TH). Ride all the way down to the Little Pan loop and simply turn back. There is mega exposure and a long climb. Most of the trail is level(i.e. easy going each direction). The best payoff is the 25min down hill rush down to the river(Agua Fria). Go do the Oct 11th group ride and find out(or go sooner..) Also check out the new section going North. That was similiar and would payoff the same.

Dooosh!
    ^^^^^ Exactly what he said^^^^^ Litlle pan loop is a good ride as well, its the section off Table Mesa road. But I second the opinion above, Starting near the Rock Springs area is the best, it has a lot of everything you are looking for! In fact, sounds like a good idea to ride this system saturday morning!!!
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Foget that, the best is starting in New River heading out to Rock Springs then head back. you get to see the best of the trail, little pan and some extra. Just plan on spending 6+ hours and have plenty of water with water stashes along the routes.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    The best sections my not have been built yet. as the trail goes further north, everything just gets amplified!
    b

Trail Monger
    " Forget that, the best is starting in New River heading out to Rock Springs then head back. you get to see the best of the trail, little pan and some extra. Just plan on spending 6+ hours and have plenty of water with water stashes along the routes. "

Wow! 6 hours in summer is a hell of a long time! Kudos to you. I want to shuttle Rock Springs to New River sometime. That would be easier(and doable) than the out and back!

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    The best sections my not have been built yet. as the trail goes further north, everything just gets amplified!
    That's the beauty of this trail, it gets better the farther it goes...just wait until you can shutt...er, point to point Sunset point to Rock Springs...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog
    The best section of the BCT is starting from the Rock Springs exit(BCT main TH). Ride all the way down to the Little Pan loop and simply turn back. There is mega exposure and a long climb. Most of the trail is level(i.e. easy going each direction). The best payoff is the 25min down hill rush down to the river(Agua Fria). Go do the Oct 11th group ride and find out(or go sooner..) Also check out the new section going North. That was similiar and would payoff the same.

How many miles is the route and how long should I plan for?

Dooosh!
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    How many miles is the route and how long should I plan for?
    Dont quote me on this, but if I remember correctly its about 14 miles.....
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

I am Walt
    Here's the GPS data for BCT out-and-back to Little Pan from Rock Springs. Key points:
    - Distance: 17.43 miles
    - Elevation Gain: 2,403 feet
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12753628

I don't have good GPS data for the full-meal deal, which includes the Little Pan Loop, but the distance is 23.63 miles (making the LP Loop about 6.2 miles), and the additional elevation gain from that loop is likely 500-800 feet (guess).

So the full-meal deal is 23.63 miles, with about 2,800-3,000 of elevation gain.

aka Diesel
    SHOW ME!!
    I've only done it once (Chalkpaw and I attempted the North side, before the scorching heat kicked in) and we ended up lost (but had fun), so now that it's cooling off, I'm thinking it's time to get my Lewis & Clark on!
    Thelma and Louise?
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    SHOW ME!!

just pick a date and I'm there. SO many places to show you.
    b

aka Diesel
    just pick a date and I'm there. SO many places to show you.
    Jes. Jes we vill.
    *snoopy dancing*
    Cheers to cooler weather! Lez do eeeeeet!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Jes. Jes we vill.
    Lez do eeeeeet!
    Just follow the path of Gold
    b

Members who have read this thread: 0