Best Rideable Loop for SOMO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Best Rideable Loop for SOMO

Hey everyone. This is my first time riding SOMO and would like to hear some recommended trail loop info.

We will be riding everything, no shuttling. I am looking for the easiest climbs up to hit the best down. I cannot wait to hit National, of course. I plan to ride at least 3 hours and would LOVE to cover the entire SOMO trail network.

We are AM riders and will walk a few sections when the going gets gnarly. You DH stars make it look easy, yet I am averse to broken bones.

Thanks for your help everyone!
    You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding - KRob

nodejitsu
    The entire trail network in 3 hours? Wow, that's ambitious.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    OK - 3 hours is crazy - looking for the best 3-4 hour loop basically.
    You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding - KRob

nodejitsu
    Y'all be able to spend 3 hours out there easy. I don't know what "loop" to recommend depends where you start and all that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I Went up Mormon, to national and then up national right up to the DH section before the parking lot(i was too tired to wanna climb back up it). Then i took national back down all the way, took me a few hours but was extremely fun both ways surprisingly. took me around 3 hours although i didn't really check the time.

"No Clue Crew"
    Your best bet is Mormon up to National, climb till you think you're short on time and flip a U-Turn and head down............Drew

I love bike!
    Not really a loop but for your SOMO inauguration I would recommend riding up from the Pima Canyon lot via the fire road, up Mormon loop trail, up National to the saddle. Then turn around and bomb down National all the way back to the fire road. If you're a strong climber (or not) and want to test your technical climbing abilities then climb up National all the way from the fire road and skip the Mormon option. Not sure of your abilities but as an FYI this is a fairly technical trail both up and down with some consequences if you're over your head or not on your game. No matter what though you likely can ride the vast majority of the trail and just hike the short sections that you're not comfortable with. Happy hunting!

"No Clue Crew"
    I covered the entire SoMo trail network in 3 hours once.

No wait- it was 5 hours.

and come to think of it, that was just to get up to BV and back.

Never mind.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39

No wait- it was 5 hours.

Never mind.
    It takes you 5 hours to get up the fire road!!!!

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    It takes you 5 hours to get up the fire road!!!!
    Yeah but you have to admit, my glutes look sensational when I pedal.

mtbr member

Javelina Mormon National

If you start at Pima Canyon, you can take the east loop over to Javelina, ride up Javelina to Mormon, hang a right, ride up Mormon to National, hang another right and go up to Buena Vista. Do a u-turn and ride down National. When you get back to the jeep trail and have some time left you can get back on Javelina (via Mormon) the opposite direction and take it back to Pima. That should give you an achievable schedule with a lot of fun trail time, both up and down. All the trails are ridable, maybe some HAB depending on your skills.
    Check my pulse...

skilldest©

got my laugh for the day...

No wait- it was 5 hours.

Never mind.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon

You were there to witness the 5 hour fire road ride!

skilldest©
    You were there to witness the 5 hour fire road ride!
    That was a good ride. I was soo out of shape then *sigh* and recall sitting under a bush wanting to cry towards the end. I still don't know how that centipede dude lost his shoe while riding! What is up with that guy anyway? Hehehehehe.

"No Clue Crew"
    That was a good ride. I was soo out of shape then *sigh* and recall sitting under a bush wanting to cry towards the end. I still don't know how that centipede dude lost his shoe while riding! What is up with that guy anyway? Hehehehehe.

HOLY CRAP ! I fogot that was the ride that I crashed so hard that my shoe came off and that was after I was unclipped from the pedal and the shoe was still stapped and tied !

Good times for sure.

I love bike!
    You always know Cenobite is on his way when you start hearing this, I don't know why but it just always follows him wherever he goes:

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Not really a loop but for your SOMO inauguration I would recommend riding up from the Pima Canyon lot via the fire road, up Mormon loop trail, up National to the saddle. Then turn around and bomb down National all the way back to the fire road. If you're a strong climber (or not) and want to test your technical climbing abilities then climb up National all the way from the fire road and skip the Mormon option. Not sure of your abilities but as an FYI this is a fairly technical trail both up and down with some consequences if you're over your head or not on your game. No matter what though you likely can ride the vast majority of the trail and just hike the short sections that you're not comfortable with. Happy hunting!
    That's about an hour and a half ride. To turn into a 2.5 to 3ish hour ride, continue on National past Buena Vista until you reach the Telegraph saddle. Take the road back east to Buena Vista and then ride down National.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    That's about an hour and a half ride.
    Maybe if I was on a motorcycle I'm maybe a scoach faster than Cenobite tho

mtbr member
    I'd agree, start at Pima Canyon off 48th st, but i recommend climbing up Mormon Loop connect to National and continue up to Buena Vista parking lot first. From there you've got a couple options: 1) for the longest descent ride back down National, then to extend the ride a little go back up Mormon Loop from the bottom before you get down to the fire road, but this time split off too the right across the wash and up a short climb to a fun descent down Javelina, then connect back to Pima lot via East Loop (that's about 2.5-3 hrs total at a relaxed pace); or 2) from Buena Vista lot you can drop off the north side on Geronimo for probably the funnest couple miles of downhill on the mountain, then you ride the road to 24th St trailhead and climb (hike-a-bike) up to connect back to Mormon Loop and descend that or Lower National back to Pima. Those are my two favorite loops/out-and-backs for that amount of time, the second option will run a little longer and kick yer ass a little more, but both will give you a good sampling of the east side.

Kathleen in AZ
    Maybe if I was on a motorcycle I'm maybe a scoach faster than Cenobite tho
    Hour to BV, easily half that time going down.... unless you choose to session and take pictures and socialize like I usually like to do

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah but you have to admit, my glutes look sensational when I pedal.
    That's only because you have glute implants.
    Because, one is never enough.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BeerJoe
    That's only because you have glute implants.
    Don't be hatin' Joe !

Where were you for Sunday's ride, ya' big Sissy ?

Eroding into the trail
    You always know Cenobite is on his way when you start hearing this, I don't know why but it just always follows him wherever he goes:

&nbsp
    &nbsp

Not sure if that is inspirational or a good reason to hurry to a good vantage point to view the inevitable carnage!
    Good choice of music though! Benny Hill was always hilarious!

I love bike!
    Hour to BV, easily half that time going down.... unless you choose to session and take pictures and socialize like I usually like to do
    Tru dat DG. I forget that most of my time spent riding up Natty is sessioning a handful of sections 3, 4, or 5 times or until I've just taken enough abuse. That takes up a good chunk of time and I'm not usually in any hurry to get to the top anyways.

skilldest©

Poor Cenobite...

Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones
    Not sure if that is inspirational or a good reason to hurry to a good vantage point to view the inevitable carnage!
    Good choice of music though! Benny Hill was always hilarious!
    Drew is bagging on him, I am calling him centipede, you guys are poking at him... I just feel bad for the guy now because he is pretty darn stand-up-ish and if I had a preference I would prefer to not piss him off... now having said that this is some funny stuff (nothing personal Rick).....
    Last edited by _dragon; 12-29-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    PC > NE side-hill junk > Javelina > National > Geronimo > Mormon Tr > Mormon Loop > Javelina > NE side-hill junk > PC

"No Clue Crew"
    Drew is bagging on him, I am calling him centipede, you guys are poking at him... I just feel bad for the guy now because he is pretty darn stand-up-ish and if I had a preference I would prefer to not piss him off... now having said that this is some funny stuff (nothing personal Rick).....
    Dang, whatever it is that dsittman posted is blocked on my work computer so I will have to wait and watch it at home beacuse it must be something good !

"No Clue Crew"
    Dang, whatever it is that dsittman posted is blocked on my work computer so I will have to wait and watch it at home beacuse it must be something good !

STOP slacking off at work and do something productive!!!! Oh and my new wheelset is here so I should be in for this weekend

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Ah, SOMO

I've riden SOMO 3x; it sent me to the hospital one of those times These were all during AZSF trips. To ride SOMO in 3 hours means you'll just have your head down and blasting through everything with out looking up. So plan on taking more time than that if you're going up there. As for the climb, I don't recall there being an "easy" climb to the top.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

"No Clue Crew"
    STOP slacking off at work and do something productive!!!! Oh and my new wheelset is here so I should be in for this weekend
    Get off the forum and go swap out those square wheels you have on the EG because it is on for Saturday !
    Dog the Bounty hunter ???

"No Clue Crew"
    Get off the forum and go swap out those square wheels you have on the EG because it is on for Saturday !
    Dog the Bounty hunter ???

YES it is Pee Wee????..............Drew

"No Clue Crew"
    Is going to look more like mafia.

I love bike!
    It's just a little "yakety sax" made famous by the Benny Hill show. If you'd quit putting music on top of your crashing videos we should be able to hear it in the background

BTW...Rick can take some good-hearted ribbing with the best of 'em...at least I think he can. I've seen a couple of his MMA vids and believe me I don't want to end up like any of those poor souls

"No Clue Crew"
    It's just a little "yakety sax" made famous by the Benny Hill show. If you'd quit putting music on top of your crashing videos we should be able to hear it in the background

BTW...Rick can take some good-hearted ribbing with the best of 'em...at least I think he can. I've seen a couple of his MMA vids and believe me I don't want to end up like any of those poor souls

2wheelsoul has earned the right to hammer us all for thread-jacking his post !

No Clue Crew
    You two are so cute together...

BTW...Rick can take some good-hearted ribbing with the best of 'em...at least I think he can.
    I hope so. If not, please disregard the above line Mr. Cenobite

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    PC > NE side-hill junk > Javelina > National > Geronimo > Mormon Tr > Mormon Loop > Javelina > NE side-hill junk > PC
    Having never ridden much of SoMo is there an obvious/easy way to get from the bottom of Geronimo to the bottom of Mormon Trail? Dale's map isn't clear but looking at googlemaps of the area I think I see the parking lot and trailheads for both. Do you have to wander through a little bit of the subdivision or are there trails to get you around it that I can't see on googlemaps?

I love bike!
    Mike. Not sure if there is a trail but I usually just take pavement. It's a quick ride. When you come out of Geronimo by the Boy Scout camp you will take Dobbins/20th St north to Euclid. Take Euclid east to 24th St where you'll make a right turn. You'll see the 24th/Mormon lot.

No Clue Crew
    Mike. Not sure if there is a trail but I usually just take pavement. It's a quick ride. When you come out of Geronimo by the Boy Scout camp you will take Dobbins/20th St north to Euclid. Take Euclid east to 24th St where you'll make a right turn. You'll see the 24th/Mormon lot.
    That's what I thought. Just didn't know if there was a "secret" trail that wasn't visible on googlemaps.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    That's what I thought. Just didn't know if there was a "secret" trail that wasn't visible on googlemaps.
    Secrets suck!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Take the canal for as long as you can to reduce road time on Baseline. Then at 46th St go south to grab the Javalina trail head but go east instead of west from the lot and grunt up the Powerline trail and loops 1 and 2 if you have the energy to get you back to the Pima parking lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There are no shortcuts..............you earn them all.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    There are no shortcuts..............you earn them all.
    As there are no "best loops"...... they're all good!!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    As there are no "best loops"...... they're all good!!
    I was thinking there are no loops period. You have to out and back some section of trail to get the "best" rides.

Maybe,

Pima Canyon
    Desert classic to telegraph pass
    Up telegraph pass to national
    National all the way back to Pima canyon

Probably 3-4 hours...

Bob

Members who have read this thread: 0