Best and most up to date Sedona trail map?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Best and most up to date Sedona trail map?

My wife and I will be in Sedona this month on a road trip. We've been there several times but it's been a few years. What is the best map? Where would we find it, Bike And Bean?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I rarely find myself using paper maps anymore. If you have a reasonably modern smartphone, Trailforks is what I end up using 99% of the time. Research/plan on a computer, then use your phone while on the trail (they have iPhone/Android apps).

Sedona, Arizona Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

But if you prefer paper Bike and Bean has maps. Or they did a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Bearfoot map is what I use. I got mine at bike and bean.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp-End View Post
    I rarely find myself using paper maps anymore. If you have a reasonably modern smartphone, Trailforks is what I end up using 99% of the time. Research/plan on a computer, then use your phone while on the trail (they have iPhone/Android apps).

Good suggestion. Thanks. I'll download the app but probably get a paper map for backup.

IPA tester
    I have the map from B&B and it's great. Plastic covering and folded so it will last for a while and easy to get out when needed.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Beartooth is the best map. Everything is on it except for the recent adoptions this spring and winter in the Carrol Canyon area. Next revision will be this fall. Recreational Topo Maps and Guidebooks, Beartooth Publishing, Sedona, Arizona Outdoor Map

Otherwise, use Trailforks or MTBproject. This is another resource with some loop suggestions. Sedona Mountain Bike Trail Guides

mtbr member
    this the best FREE one that I know of...
    Coconino National Forest - Recreation

tip -- click on each map individually... the map/s are not on this page you need to choose the section

trailforks one is good too... I would think this one prints off slightly better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp-End View Post

I did not know this. Thanks for sharing!
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for all he great info!

mtbr member
    thanks for not asking about tire recommendations. have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Beartooth is the best map. Everything is on it except for the recent adoptions this spring and winter in the Carrol Canyon area. Next revision will be this fall. Recreational Topo Maps and Guidebooks, Beartooth Publishing, Sedona, Arizona Outdoor Map

Otherwise, use Trailforks or MTBproject. This is another resource with some loop suggestions. Sedona Mountain Bike Trail Guides
    YEs, this one is a MUST HAVE. It clearly shows which trails allow bikes. It also shows the semi-official trails as black lines.
    Think of it that way. You spend thousands on your bike and your trip. $5 for a map is cheap in comparison to maximize your enjoyment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    YEs, this one is a MUST HAVE. It clearly shows which trails allow bikes. It also shows the semi-official trails as black lines.
    Think of it that way. You spend thousands on your bike and your trip. $5 for a map is cheap in comparison to maximize your enjoyment.
    And you support the time honored profession of Cartography. Will of Beartooth makes a really nice product. He personally comes down from Montana to GPS the trails and QA/QC his maps.

Always in the wrong gear
    And you support the time honored profession of Cartography. Will of Beartooth makes a really nice product. He personally comes down from Montana to GPS the trails and QA/QC his maps.
    Man that map is legit. Who in Sedona has those in stock? I kinda want one just for the swag-factor, even though I ride Sedona like 2x a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Man that map is legit. Who in Sedona has those in stock? I kinda want one just for the swag-factor, even though I ride Sedona like 2x a year.
    You can order it online but any one of the 4 bike shops in Sedona should have it. And a percentage goes to the trail fund. Another way to contribute
    Sedona Red Rock Trail Fund | Preserve the Red Rock Trails

mtbr member
    Best and most up to date Sedona trail map?-sedona_map.jpg

So this map version must have been from before Hiline became an official trail. It's just a black line just on the left of Slim Shady trail. Wait, it is an official trail right?

I like how he clearly shows which trails allow bikes. Great map !

Always in the wrong gear
    You can order it online but any one of the 4 bike shops in Sedona should have it. And a percentage goes to the trail fund. Another way to contribute
    Sedona Red Rock Trail Fund | Preserve the Red Rock Trails
    Exactly the reason I was looking for a local source. Nice.

mtbr member
    The problem with paper maps is you need to know where you are on the map for them to be useful. However, with Trailforks, it shows you where you are on the trail. You can expand or contract the image you see as well. Paper maps are a great back-up but Trailforks and the FREE mapping feature at MTB Project dot com are what I use 99.9% of the time. They are amazingly accurate.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    The problem with paper maps is you need to know where you are on the map for them to be useful. However, with Trailforks, it shows you where you are on the trail. You can expand or contract the image you see as well. Paper maps are a great back-up but Trailforks and the FREE mapping feature at MTB Project dot com are what I use 99.9% of the time. They are amazingly accurate.
    The problem with phone apps is you are out of luck if your batteries die due to not being charged enough or inclement weather. So, both have their pluses and minuses.

Elitest thrill junkie
    MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps

Because I can look at my position on the map on my phone in real-time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    papermaps are superior to phone apps because never need to worry about power, signal and most importantly can see large area at one time with both detail and expansiveness. Better judge of distance and spatial orientation. Even with GPS track to follow paper maps are great for making changes on the fly.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Except it's not as if you are carrying a binder with you or have space for a laminated paper map, so I think it ends up being a wash, as said paper map ends up being wadded/folded and constantly referring to it significantly degrades it (plus you are just going to throw it away, wasteful). The modern apps like mtb project download the trails for the area you are going to ride, and thereafter just use the GPS signal to determine your position, because it already "has" the map. Used it successfully in CO and WA.

I'm a big fan of maps and map-reading, but I have to admit technology has made it somewhat outdated.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Except it's not as if you are carrying a binder with you or have space for a laminated paper map, so I think it ends up being a wash, as said paper map ends up being wadded/folded and constantly referring to it significantly degrades it (plus you are just going to throw it away, wasteful). The modern apps like mtb project download the trails for the area you are going to ride, and thereafter just use the GPS signal to determine your position, because it already "has" the map. Used it successfully in CO and WA.

I'm a big fan of maps and map-reading, but I have to admit technology has made it somewhat outdated.
    I keep mine in a zip lock freezer bag in my pack to insure they stay fresh. Here's the current stash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best and most up to date Sedona trail map?-20160430_170323.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I have never had a problem with that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    papermaps are superior to phone apps because never need to worry about power, signal and most importantly can see large area at one time with both detail and expansiveness. Better judge of distance and spatial orientation. Even with GPS track to follow paper maps are great for making changes on the fly.
    It's also nice to sometimes just disconnect from the digital world when you are out in the bush.

mtbr member
    Except it's not as if you are carrying a binder with you or have space for a laminated paper map, so I think it ends up being a wash, as said paper map ends up being wadded/folded and constantly referring to it significantly degrades it (plus you are just going to throw it away, wasteful). ...
    Well my pack has room for a papermap or can carry a small printed one in my jersey pocket.Ziploc bag is perfect for the simple paper ones to keep the sweat away. As for waste. Well I will recycle when the time comes and I use zero electrical power when I use it. Phone power is not free. Power has to come from some where you know
    Joe

mtbr member

mtbr member
    remember when Cosmic Ray had the best maps ?... I still have one of his books, its about 20 years old now

mtbr member

You are wrong in so many ways. There will always be a place for the good-old fashioned map. Blindly trusting the little gps blip on your phone or garmin is fool's folly. You are too dependent on modern technology and someday it will bite you in the ass. Probably tomorrow when you forget to charge your 'smart' phone and head out an adventure ride you've never done before.

Map reading, knowing what contours mean, reading a compass, and orienteering are basic skills and anyone at spends time in the outdoors should be proficient at it. Anyone that can't find space in their pack for a map is an idiot. But maybe that's just me, I like maps. I have dozens if not more than 100 and perhaps even all the ones made by Beartooth.

Best and most up to date Sedona trail map?-maps.jpg

mtbr member
    You are wrong in so many ways. There will always be a place for the good-old fashioned map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maps.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	1067323
    I agree 100%.. I thought I would start to drift away from using paper maps, but I find them more convenient usually.. I will still use google maps however..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You are wrong in so many ways. There will always be a place for the good-old fashioned map. Blindly trusting the little gps blip on your phone or garmin is fool's folly. You are too dependent on modern technology and someday it will bite you in the ass. Probably tomorrow when you forget to charge your 'smart' phone and head out an adventure ride you've never done before.

Map reading, knowing what contours mean, reading a compass, and orienteering are basic skills and anyone at spends time in the outdoors should be proficient at it. Anyone that can't find space in their pack for a map is an idiot. But maybe that's just me, I like maps. I have dozens if not more than 100 and perhaps even all the ones made by Beartooth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maps.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	1067323
    Dude! You didn't show me this when I stopped by a few weeks ago. I love maps and I totally geek out over em.

I can seriously sit and stare at maps and atlases daydreaming over the places I want to explore for hours.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    remember when Cosmic Ray had the best maps ?

No.

My map of the B-24 crash site on Mt Humphreys as I flew by at 11,000' in an airplane was better map.Best and most up to date Sedona trail map?-39235_594284292748_2427546_n.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    You are too dependent on modern technology and someday it will bite you in the ass. Probably tomorrow when you forget to charge your 'smart' phone and head out an adventure ride you've never done before.
    You seem to be way more worried than me. If I head 5 miles in the wrong direction, I enjoy it. I usually go out to ride for a set amount of hours and I usually don't mind if I modify the plan while I'm riding. Part of the fun is the adventure and not knowing exactly where you are or where you'll end up. I take the correct precautions and research enough so I have a pretty good idea, but I'm far from "watching the dot on the map" all the time. I just like the technology/sites that actually make riding pleasurable for out-of-towners, because getting good trail intel when you are not from the area is usually like pulling teeth and one guy/shop who raves up and down about one trail can often turn out to be a total farce.
    Best and most up to date Sedona trail map?-11952679_10100659363697058_1815884581343164530_o.jpg

1 bike to ride them all
    Amen Jayem...

Aren't we all seeking a bit of an adventure after all?

Truth is, I'm a huge fan of both Cosmic Ray and Will at Beartooth.

Both have made a significant investment in Sedona. Ray for well over 20 years, and Will for over 16. Both, long before Sedona was a 'destination'. Almost every year, they've put the time in to refine their maps; keeping them up to date, dealing with the USFS B.S.politics, etc. Love em or hate em, these two have earned their turns. Which is a lot more than I can say for mtb project or trailforks.

As good as digital maps can be, they are still FAR from a paper map replacement. Don't believe me?... O.K., forget having enough battery, enough bandwidth, enough data, or enough cell signal for the download and run time. Try squinting into your 5" screen as the sun beats down over your shoulder, and reflects back at you. Oh yeah! I'm riding in the desert! As for navigation, pinch and expand is terribly overrated, viewing the general course of a trail with adequate detail is tricky at best. And last but not least, it is VERY difficult for more than one person to view the map at a time.

The kicker...

Do you truly 'own' your digital, downloaded maps? And, Without a hard copy, how do you know what has changed; if their was a reroute, if you lost access to land/trails, etc... when the digital files can be altered or deleted without notice and without a trace?. Conspiracy Theory? Umm... try Conspiracy Fact:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te...azon.html?_r=0

All those Kindle 'owners' really thought they 'owned' the e-book content that they downloaded to their devices and paid for... before it vanished without a trace.

Don't get me wrong I love technology. It is amazing and convenient, and let there be no doubt, I agree, it is the future. Unfortunately like all technology, there are bugs that need to get worked out before we give up the old technology. And even then we need hard copies for historical reference.

Back to Cosmic Ray, and Will at Beartooth. Please consider supporting these guys. They've earned it, and they have definitely helped put Sedona on the map.

Fat Tire Tales & Trails: Arizona Mountain Bike Trail Guide: Cosmic Ray: 9780966476989: Amazon.com: Books
    Recreational Topo Maps and Guidebooks, Beartooth Publishing, Sedona, Arizona Outdoor Map

Lastly, try and get your stoke on the night before a ride, with your buddies round the table, beverage in hand... while you squint at someones phone.

Maps are cool!
    CB

mtbr member

Data can be slow. Just take a picture of the map section you are interested on your phone. No data or signal needed. I don't carry the map either but I like to examine it before a ride or a race.

mtbr member
    No.

My map of the B-24 crash site on Mt Humphreys as I flew by at 11,000' in an airplane was better map.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39235_594284292748_2427546_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	1067368
    I have been to the site. That was in the days long before strava. Cosmic Ray... He was the man back in the 90's/2000's. He books were far from the best maps, but excellent guides. Not just lines, but intel on what was worth riding and not. Beartooth maps are much better maps, but not as good when it comes to guides.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CANADIANBACON View Post
    And, Without a hard copy, how do you know what has changed; if their was a reroute, if you lost access to land/trails, etc...
    Over the years I have collected many versions of maps of a few of our National Parks. Trails that were on the old maps no longer appear on the new maps as they don't want hordes of people visiting certain areas. Using the old maps it's still possible to seek and find the old trails.

Your point is a good one!

I, too, enjoy paper maps and have a filing cabinet full of them...but also use digital.

-db-

Just another half mile...
    I total agree. I always carry a map with me and a GPS with geo referenced trail map layers of the same map. I have a four drawer file cabinet full of maps and other trail info, plus a self full of old guide books that I reference often. Not everything is on the WWW.

The AZ drawer, one of four that cover the US and Europe. Can never have enough maps and trail info.

Best and most up to date Sedona trail map?-20160502_190116.jpg

Self full old guide books. Great place to start research on new areas to ride.

Best and most up to date Sedona trail map?-20160502_190231.jpg

Map reading, knowing what contours mean, reading a compass, and orienteering are basic skills and anyone at spends time in the outdoors should be proficient at it. Anyone that can't find space in their pack for a map is an idiot. But maybe that's just me, I like maps. I have dozens if not more than 100 and perhaps even all the ones made by Beartooth