Best/funnest AM trail in flag?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best/funnest AM trail in flag?

Hey guys I'm heading to flag tomorrow have the wife to drive me to where ever I need to go. I will have to ride back to the mall area on the east side (I believe it's east). Anyway where should I go.... Looking for a fun ride, technical flowing, fast all mountain ride.... I don't mind tech climbs either. .... What ever... If you only had one run to make and 2 hours to kill what trail would it be? Thanks in advance... (Minor directions appreciated).

My other ride is your mom
    One run, 2 hrs? Up Schultz from the Y (parking area at the base of Schultz), up brookbank, down sunset, down Schultz. Plenty of maps on line if you are aware of a thing called the google.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That or get the wifey to drive you up to Snowbowl. Ride the Aspen Loop trail down to the Arizona Trail and follow that back towards Shultz.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I think he said all mountainy with flowy?? isn't that xc trails. Jedi..ginger..rocky moto..newham all accessible from Schultz if you want am. Those others that are posted above for flow or xc. If you are riding back to the mall though that would cost you an hour.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    That or get the wifey to drive you up to Snowbowl. Ride the Aspen Loop trail down to the Arizona Trail and follow that back towards Shultz.
    ^ This, maybe add on Rocky Ridge to lower Oldham to finish in Buffalo Park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Dropper not need for any of that ****, not AM.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Re: Best/funnest AM trail in flag?

if you have a shuttle, why not use it? get a ride to the top of Elden and ride sunset all the way, then brookbank to jedi to schultz or AZ trail, , or some variation of that. 80% downhill...

why climb if you only have 2hrs?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Head to snowbowl rd, take rocky moto to schultz to fatmans loop. Mostly downhill, but fun as heck. Or take the route posted just above me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The Elden Road shuttle to ride Sunset is a great option but it's up 4 miles of dusty dirt road. If that doesn't sound so sweet use Snowbowl Road. Get dropped off at Snowbowl, right below the Humphreys Peak Trail head You can see a trail heading to the viewers left. That is the Aspen Loop Trail, go down that and take the fist two lefts at the intersections and follow the AZ Trail all the way across to Lower Moto. Take the right onto Lower Moto and follow that to the next major intersection. Take a left onto the unmarked social trail, this will drop across a gully then into another gully, here a trail drops to your right, follow that one down. That is Easter Island and imho the most fun section in the Fort Valley system. Follow it to your next intersection. Take a left and follow this to Shultz. If you have enough time take Rocky Ridge but you will likely not so take Lookout Road up to Lower Old-Ham. Follow Old-Ham down through the canyon after crossing the Pipeline and out to Safeway. Easy paved miles after this back towards the mall.

I swear that with only a two hour window it's probably the best bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaldenbune View Post
    Head to snowbowl rd, take rocky moto to schultz to fatmans loop. Mostly downhill, but fun as heck. Or take the route posted just above me.
    Don't take this personally but if you are going to provide beta at least be accurate. Rocky Moto sucks and from SB rd does not remotely resemble mostly downhill and Schultz doesn't go to Fatman's Loop.

mtbr member
    The Elden Road shuttle to ride Sunset is a great option but it's up 4 miles of dusty dirt road. If that doesn't sound so sweet use Snowbowl Road. Get dropped off at Snowbowl, right below the Humphreys Peak Trail head You can see a trail heading to the viewers left. That is the Aspen Loop Trail, go down that and take the fist two lefts at the intersections and follow the AZ Trail all the way across to Lower Moto. Take the right on Lower Moto and follow that to the next major intersection. Take a left onto the unmarked social trail, this will drop across a gully then into another gully, here a trail drops to your right, follow that one down. That is Easter Island and imho the most fun section in the Fort Valley system. Follow it to your next intersection. Take a left and follow this to Shultz. If you have enough time take Rocky Ridge but you will likely not so take Lookout Road up to Lower Old-Ham. Follow Old-Ham down through the canyon after crossing the Pipeline and out to Safeway. Easy paved miles after this back towards the mall.

I swear that with only a two hour window it's probably the best bang for your buck.
    This^^^

RA, what to do when it's raining in Jackson and can't ride? Hookers and blow?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    This^^^

RA, what to do when it's raining in Jackson and can't ride? Hookers and blow?
    Are you there? Not much for hookers in Wyoming, at least not ones with teeth.

Whiskey? But you don't really drink so........not much else really.

mtbr member
    Are you there? Not much for hookers in Wyoming, at least not ones with teeth.

Whiskey? But you don't really drink so........not much else really.
    Yeah, but instead of riding ALL MOUNTAIN trails I'm posting on MTBR in the AZ forum. How pathetic is that? Almost as bad as living in Alaska.

Too much snow here anyway, most of the high elevation stuff isn't open. Thinking of heading over to The Big Holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best/funnest AM trail in flag?-arrow-trail.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There are some cool rides off of Fish Creek Road if I remember right that might be clear of snow. Stop in Wilson Sports and get beta. I used to enjoy Paint Brush.

Send Rideit a pm on here and the TGR forums, he will know where to go and will probably offer up some free guiding. There is a Jackson specific thread on the TGR forum as well that might help.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Do the Phillips Ridge loop with a micro shuttle. Dirt will be HERO after this mornings rain!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Do the Phillips Ridge loop with a micro shuttle. Dirt will be HERO after this mornings rain!
    Did that one yesterday. Pretty dang fun. Really nice routing. Hat's off to the trail builders and scouts

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Ok, are you willing to drive to Driggs/ Big Holes, or would you prefer jackson side?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Ok, are you willing to drive to Driggs/ Big Holes, or would you prefer jackson side?
    Sun is coming out and heading to do a Game-Ferrins-Cache-Game loop. Maybe Spooky-Corral-Red Canyon in the Big Holes tomorrow. Hit both Hoback and Wilson for beta and did not get much info other than Phillip's Ridge might be dry (it was dusty) and everything else was too wet. I posted in the Idaho-WY forum for info and got one reply. There ya go, one more day and I'm heading south to a wedding in PC. Tasty ahi burro Picas and a good burger at Q's.

Thanks for the help and I hope the OP in this thread makes it back to the finest Mall in northern Arizona after his all mountain ride without getting divorced.

Next time I'm back I'm doing Mile-Sheep for sure. Maybe in an El Nino year. La Nina and La Nada and it appears the trails are no go until July.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You picked a good healthy loop in Game. That should do you for a day or two. Have fun!

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wilson Canyon used to be a real fun trail in that area too rm. I wouldn't know what it's like now though.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    It's ok, but pretty blown out from the traffic during the Horsetheif fire. I only go down it once or twice a year (and NEVER up it!)

Ps, I hope Rockman found shelter, it is pouring buckets now! Meanest lightning/thunder event of the year...
    Last edited by rideit; 06-26-2014 at 02:43 PM.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    It's ok, but pretty blown out from the traffic during the Horsetheif fire. I only go down it once or twice a year (and NEVER up it!)

Ps, I hope Rockman found shelter, it is pouring buckets now! Meanest lightning/thunder event of the year...
    The hail was a bit of a bummer. The fir trees are pretty good cover. Much better than Ponderosa Pine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sorry OP for the thread derail but seriously follow the advice and directions I gave ya from Snowbowl. It's a great ride for a quick 2 hours in Flag.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry OP for the thread derail but seriously follow the advice and directions I gave ya from Snowbowl. It's a great ride for a quick 2 hours in Flag.
    I'm finally moving to Flagstaff this weekend -- should be in town Sunday night. Thinking about doing that loop on Monday. Sounds like you guys got some rain last night though. Do the trails in Flag dry out pretty quickly, or will it be a pretty big mess out there?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cabarnett92 View Post
    I'm finally moving to Flagstaff this weekend -- should be in town Sunday night. Thinking about doing that loop on Monday. Sounds like you guys got some rain last night though. Do the trails in Flag dry out pretty quickly, or will it be a pretty big mess out there?
    It's summer, there's sunlight, the air pressure is low, it's warm. Water, as you know it, doesn't stick around for anything in AZ. It's gone before you know it. It's amazing if you can hit it right after a rain. The next day, it will be quickly turning to dust again.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's summer, there's sunlight, the air pressure is low, it's warm. Water, as you know it, doesn't stick around for anything in AZ. It's gone before you know it. It's amazing if you can hit it right after a rain. The next day, it will be quickly turning to dust again.
    Yeah, having lived in Phoenix for the past few years I know all about how long water sticks around haha

I've been stuck in Arkansas with work since February... it's so humid here, it takes DAYS for the trails to dry out. And as my luck has been going, it'll be sunny / hot / humid for WEEKS, then rain exactly 1 day before my day off.

Can't wait to get out there and hit the trails!

Meatbomb
    I think the rain discussed above was in Idaho... Not Flag.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ah, yeah wasn't seeing rain on google weather. Humidity seem's to have gone up a bit though. Was like 3% earlier this week, up to 30% now. So humid! (/sarcasm... it's in the 90's here with near 100% humidity. I feel like I'm drowning).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    In Flag I would take it easy until the monsoon rains pick up. Most trails you can ride IN the rain and not wait at all. The trail quality improves quickly with any moisture, unlike the east... That said, the dust isn't that bad as long as you stick to the flatter XC trails.

Hopefully it's only another week or two. Last year July 4th weekend was the first soaking. I am anxiously awaiting.

Flag locals, any signs of the floodgates opening yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    things are looking very Monsoon-y this week. Some cloud development throughout the days. I think we start to see a chance for precip later this week.

The .05 percent
    things are looking very Monsoon-y this week. Some cloud development throughout the days. I think we start to see a chance for precip later this week.
    Forecast says 30 Percent chance rain thurs
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

bland
    Monsoons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freak out!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Looks like humidity has been creeping up, too. Last week was like 3-10%. This week has been closer to 30%... Beats the hell out of the 90-100% here.

Trails get... better with rain?

mtbr member

Best/funnest AM trail in flag?

Oh yeah, a little rain and instant hero dirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Got to town early this morning after driving all weekend. Been hanging around the Hostel after dumping my crap in my storage unit. Headed to the Grand Canyon with some chicks I just met, but I'll probably hit up the trails tomorrow.

Anybody wanna join?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So I scared a bear out of the creek on Shultz today. I was climbing, almost to the Lincoln logs. It jumped out and ran up the trail a bit, then looked back at me. I waited for it to mosey up the trail, but had to shoo him out on to the road a bit higher up. It was hot, and it wanted a drink/bath. I tried to get a photo, but when I stopped and went to get the phone, he started looking nervous. I headed up the trail, and it headed up the road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Found a pretty good loop for my first time riding at elevation.

Rode out on 180, then took the Mt Elden (?) road towards the towers. Climbed like 2 miles on the dirt, turned off on the lower Eldridge (?) trail. Took it down to the Arizona trail, and got back on the road at Buffalo park. No idea how far it was, but it had a good mix of different surfaces, some technical stuff, some fast parts. Great ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Eldridge=Oldham?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Eldridge=Oldham?
    Maybe. I was really worn out when I typed that out. Lower Oldham sounds right. Crosses over Pipeline or something?

I was really hoping it would rain.