Best Desert Lube- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Desert Lube

I was just wondering what everyone was using? I pickup some white lightning epic but it seems to pickup alot of dirt just wondering what you guys use here in Phoenix?

Shred...it's the new drug
    A.T.B. absolutly the best. Local AZ company. Best lube on the market!!! Buy local, ride global!

Powered by ice cream.
    Dumonde Tech.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Dumonde Tech.
    I used Dumonde Tech until I could not find it locally anymore and then switched to ATP. You do need to apply ATP more frequently than Dumonde - every ride or every other ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Dumonde Tech.
    It's so good that Dave Turner uses it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    ATB. I've used it for years with great results and it's made locally.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

thisportistoodamnexpensiv
    Oct 2008
    Just curious, are these all dry lubes you're talking about?

I was using tri-flow but was getting a lot of dirt build up so someone gave me a bottle of dry lube, not sure what brand but definitely not made in the U.S. (some other affluent country but I can't remember which). It seems to be attracting less dirt but I wanted to get some other opionions on what's better, specifically for the chain.
    REAL MEN LOVE JESUS!!! (...but only when the wife's out of town)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRosie
    Just curious, are these all dry lubes you're talking about?

I was using tri-flow but was getting a lot of dirt build up so someone gave me a bottle of dry lube, not sure what brand but definitely not made in the U.S. (some other affluent country but I can't remember which). It seems to be attracting less dirt but I wanted to get some other opionions on what's better, specifically for the chain.
    dumonde tech is in between, it's neither a wet lube or a dry lube, it's a suspended polymer lube, and it works pretty well. Usually people don't use dry-lubes as they are supposed to be used (give hours for it to dry).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

My other ride is your mom
    lubing with dry aint a problem as long as you lube after your ride, not before....so it's ready for your next ride.

thisportistoodamnexpensiv
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    lubing with dry aint a problem as long as you lube after your ride, not before....so it's ready for your next ride.
    Thanks for the info, guys. That's the way I've been using it, just lube up after I'm done, unless I'm feeling lazy or in a hurry.
    REAL MEN LOVE JESUS!!! (...but only when the wife's out of town)

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    It's so good that Dave Turner uses it.
    Say no more.

Pivotal figure
    I've been using ProLink for the last couple of years. It's another "dry" lube, pretty similar to the others mentioned. TriFlow may be one of the worst lubes for out here, it just picks up everything the trail throws at it and makes a mess. It has it's place for sure (QR's, Wet rides).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    A.T.B. absolutly the best. Local AZ company. Best lube on the market!!! Buy local, ride global!
    +1

p.

mtbr member
    just what everyone else has already said, ProLink, Dumonde and ATB.
    After trying them all back to back, I can't say one is better than the others.

My bike is loud anyways tho...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Meatbomb
    I've been using Pedros and it appears to work fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Purple Extreme lasts a long time and if you do a good job cleaning the chain is the best lube I've found. Get a Park chain cleaner for good results.
    Tried Dumonde, haven't heard of ATB.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Boeshield T-9, once dries it collects very little dirt. After a ride just brush of what you did collect.

mtbr member
    another vote for dumonde tech.

Black and Sticky
    I switch back and forth between Dumonde Tech and ATB. Good results from both. From what I have seen, many people over lubricate their chain, meaning they don't wipe off the excess after application and/or they apply too often for their frequency of riding or riding conditions. Somewhere I read that spray applied lube causes over application and I agree with that.

Here is a very interesting article that says lubrication doesn't affect chain efficiency, where efficiency is defined as lack of measured heat build up from friction. In other words their theory is low friction = low heat generated = high efficiency.

www.sdearthtimes.com/et1199/et1199s13.html[/url]

They tried three different types of lubes and saw no effect on efficiency. They theorize that chain lube only plays a role to displace moisture. Pretty controversial, but interesting nevertheless.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman
    They tried three different types of lubes and saw no effect on efficiency. They theorize that chain lube only plays a role to displace moisture. Pretty controversial, but interesting nevertheless.

Bob
    Perhaps, but I have found that an unlubed chain does not shift easily. Anyway, I have never found a lube that works "great" here in AZ. But I am currently using White Lightning (not the Epic version) I put it on at the end of a ride. It works good, but does not seem to last for more than a couple hours of riding.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRat67
    I was just wondering what everyone was using? I pickup some white lightning epic but it seems to pickup alot of dirt just wondering what you guys use here in Phoenix?
    Since I started using chainsaw bar oil about three years ago I haven't had to replace a chain because of measurable chain stretch. But I only ride about 20 miles a week or so these days.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

Pwning Trails
    lol chainsaw bar oil ... not a bad idea. Hell if its good for a chainsaw its good for a bike chain. Those chainsaw chains get crazy hot, that bar oil has got to have some good lubrication goodness

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

yep, my formula as well...

Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave
    Since I started using chainsaw bar oil about three years ago I haven't had to replace a chain because of measurable chain stretch. But I only ride about 20 miles a week or so these days.
    I use Chain saw chain/bar oil mixed with Mineral Spirits (that cuts it down some). Cheap and effective. One bottle of this oil will last a lifetime

mtbr member
    I use White Lightning every three rides or so, or just as the chain begins to squeak. The trick is to wipe off all the external lube before you ride, you only need it to stay on the inner surfaces of the rollers, and the chain stays cleaner.

Shovel Ready
    Another vote for A.T.B. Drop on every link - let it set for a few hours and wipe the excess off before the ride.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Slow but unsteady

White Lightning

I use White Lightning wax. It has to be reapplied frequently--after about a week of commuting or one long ride. I have two SRAM Powerlink chains for the bike and keep a clean, dry, lubed chain on hand to swap on when the one on the bike gets dirty or needs lube.

I clean the chains by shaking them in a jar with a little Simple Green, brushing off any stubborn crud, then rinsing and drying. To apply the Lightning, I put the chains in a small Ziploc bag, add a small quantity of lube and shake. Afterward I let the chains air-dry.

The time this procedure takes (not that much, really) is saved in cleaning other components. Any wax buildup on cogs/derailers can be knocked off with a dry parts brush.

Don't know that this is the best procedure, but it's what works for me. Removing the chain to clean it would be a hassle if not for the Powerlink.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I used Dumonde Tech until I could not find it locally anymore and then switched to ATP. You do need to apply ATP more frequently than Dumonde - every ride or every other ride.
    I was at Landis (Indian School) as I needed some A.T.B. I noticed they had an A.T.B. with a white cap and red cap. Asked Tim if there was a difference or just packaged with a different cap. White is thinner and will need to be applied more. Red is thicker and should last longer. I lube my chain regularly and don't put down large miles on my rides, so I stuck with the white cap.

mtbr member
    I use t-9 boeshield, it is better than white lightning and has the added benefit of being yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

mtbr member
    WOW thanx for so much input. I had bought some white lightning epic but after I use it up I'm gonna pickup some ATB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I use DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant on all my chains pedal or moto. I clean with WD-40 and use then use the DuPont. I always do this the night befor riding.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/moto...chain-lube.htm
    Last edited by 1050st; 10-10-2008 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Dirt bike lube hum thats a good idea and alot cheaper

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    In our sand and grit, I tired of dirty legs and gunked sprockets. I finally reverted to a method we used on our motocross motorcycles in the 60s. I soaked my chain out in gasoline, hung it to dry in the sun for 1 hour, coiled it carefully in the bottom of an old can, threw in a block of parafin wax (available in the canning section of all local grocery stores), put it in the barbeque, took 10 minutes to melt, let it boil for 20 minutes. Fish it out with a wire, let it cool for 5 minutes and wipe off most of the excess wax. I feed it whitelightning once a month. I'm getting no squeaks or stretch

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New Clean Ride by White Lightning

On week 3 of White Lightening's new Clean Ride dry lube.

Dry lube. Self cleans now as it should have in the past. Looks very watery but stays on very well. Every other ride on the single speed but I bet it can easily go three. The bottle needs a narrower exit since it's not as thick as even RaceDay White Lightning.

It's okay on the road bike but not my favorite.

$8 for 8oz at Performance.

Kathleen in AZ
    Say no more.
    South Mountain Cycles in Ahwatukee on Ray is carrying the Dumonde line of lubes again at the request of their customers!!!

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I managed a shop for years that had a rule: No Dumonde Tech lubes in the shop. Due to the awful smell. It was the owner's rule, not mine.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy
    In our sand and grit, I tired of dirty legs and gunked sprockets. I finally reverted to a method we used on our motocross motorcycles in the 60s. I soaked my chain out in gasoline, hung it to dry in the sun for 1 hour, coiled it carefully in the bottom of an old can, threw in a block of parafin wax (available in the canning section of all local grocery stores), put it in the barbeque, took 10 minutes to melt, let it boil for 20 minutes. Fish it out with a wire, let it cool for 5 minutes and wipe off most of the excess wax. I feed it whitelightning once a month. I'm getting no squeaks or stretch
    Squeaks or stretching wasn't mentioned before. Are you still getting dirt and sand stuck to it, or building up on the cassette and getting your calf black anymore? Just wondering how it's holding up to the grime?
    I need to ride more and work less.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    I managed a shop for years that had a rule: No Dumonde Tech lubes in the shop. Due to the awful smell. It was the owner's rule, not mine.
    Everyone likes bananas.

Was that shop pouring it all over the floor or something? I can't imagine how to get the "smell" out of the bottle unless you're doing something like that. Simple solution: sell it, don't open it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger
    I use DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant on all my chains

https://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/moto...chain-lube.htm
    +1 for the Dupont stuff. I get a big can at Lowe's for $5 and it lasts awhile. I also clean the chain every now and again by shaking it in a jar of kerosene for 5 to 10 minutes. Then I rinse it in the sink and blow it out with compressed air.

I do live in San Diego and only ride here occasionally, but for the most part my trails are rocky, dry and dusty too. (I'm lurking b/c I'm in town for the week and looking for fun!)

Master Gardener
    Everyone likes bananas.

Was that shop pouring it all over the floor or something? I can't imagine how to get the "smell" out of the bottle unless you're doing something like that. Simple solution: sell it, don't open it.
    Nope, didn't mop the floor with it. Applied to a chain, it would make the entire shop smell. It defies explanation, but it's the truth. File it under "X".

We stocked Dumonde Tech, but it didn't sell well in the Midwest.

For the original poster: IMO, the difference from one chain lube to the next is negligible. No matter which lube you use, dirt will stick to it and you'll have to clean your chain and apply fresh lube to keep the pins and bushings from wearing out. Trying to get around that is like trying to get around scrubbing your toilet with those "no-scrub" cleaners. It's really more about marketing than reality.

The exception is a dry lube, which are much better about attracting dirt, but the margin allowed for error with dry lubes is very narrow.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Another option that's worked very well for all riding conditions (AZ, Colorado, wet, etc.) that keeps the chain dry, clean, quiet and has extended the life of my drivetrain.

The product is Maxima Chain Wax (also used for motorcycles and ATV's).
    Here's the product link:
    http://www.maximausa.com/products/ch...s/chainwax.asp

I have a SRAM chain with a Powerlink, so after my 6th or so ride, I take the chain off the bike and soak it in an oil pan with some WD-40 (I buy the one gallon can in liquid form).
    While in the pan with WD-40, I scrub the chain with an old toothbrush to remove any dirt between the side plates and cross pins (note I wear latex gloves during this process to keep the WD-40 off the skin).

I then dry the chain with a rag, lay it on a piece of cardboard and then spray the chain with the chain wax. I let it sit for a few minutes to let the carrier evaporate, then put the chain back on the bike and it's ready to go.

I've found this treatment to last much longer and be less messy than all of the other treatments I've used in the past. I've tried Whitelightening, ATB (darn good option), and some of the other products mentioned in this tread and I've found the aforementioned treatment to work the best.

My chain is so quiet that when it starts sounding a little dry (after ~6-10 rides), I know it's time to re-treat. I don't have to touch it in between.

I should also mention that I pour the used WD-40 from the oil pan into a pickle jar for
    future use (all the sediments filter to the bottom, so I just pour the clean stuff on during the next application. One gallon of WD-40 has lasted several years now).

Some of my riding buddies have commented because when I do trail maintenance on my bike, I don't get all dirty and oily.

Elitest thrill junkie
    For the original poster: IMO, the difference from one chain lube to the next is negligible. No matter which lube you use, dirt will stick to it and you'll have to clean your chain and apply fresh lube to keep the pins and bushings from wearing out. Trying to get around that is like trying to get around scrubbing your toilet with those "no-scrub" cleaners. It's really more about marketing than reality.

The exception is a dry lube, which are much better about attracting dirt, but the margin allowed for error with dry lubes is very narrow.
    Well, you're leaving out the 3rd type of lube, so the assertation that it's negligible isn't really true. You got wet lubes, dry lubes, and then dumonde tech, which is a suspended-polymer (different than the other two). Each of these 3 catagories has some pretty different characteristics and has to be used accordingly.

Master Gardener
    Well, you're leaving out the 3rd type of lube, so the assertation that it's negligible isn't really true. You got wet lubes, dry lubes, and then dumonde tech, which is a suspended-polymer (different than the other two). Each of these 3 catagories has some pretty different characteristics and has to be used accordingly.
    OK then. I didn't mention suspended-polymer, so there must be a huge difference between one chain lube and the next.

Elitest thrill junkie
    OK then. I didn't mention suspended-polymer, so there must be a huge difference between one chain lube and the next.
    Well, lets see;

Dry lube. Can be great for desert. Must be applied significantly before riding to give time for carrier to evaporate and wax to dry. Doesn't attract much dirt/dust. Wears off rather quickly in more extreme conditions (especially wet).

Wet lube. Can be great for wetter conditions. Can be applied fairly effectively at riding-time. Attracts more dust and grime. May require more frequent chain cleaning.

Suspended Polymer (which is kind of like "plastic"). Kind of middle-ground between the two above. Has a carrier that evaporates, but can provide adequate lubrication when applied at time of riding. Not quite as good for extreme wet conditions as wet lube, not quite as good for dry-conditions/dust repelling as dry lube. A good middle ground a lot of the time, but I've had times when the above two seem better.

As far as brands, yeah, sometimes not much difference between the same/similer types of lube, so that's never really been much of a thought to me, just mainly the different types of lubes.

Shovel Ready
    Was in Rage tonight and they also have the Dumonde Tech line, yellow and blue. ATB has been working very well for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0