Beginner trails for 10 years old boy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Beginner trails for 10 years old boy

Looking for trails for my son in Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa area.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Browns Ranch in Scottsdale. I have taken my 10 yo girl and she loved it.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Brown's Ranch and Papago

mtbr member
    Desert Classic is good, also Usery is a great introduction. If you are interested in riding with other kids I help run a youth program called Thrive Youth Cycling. Check us out on FB and Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Mind if I piggyback? Any recommended trails in Tucson for a 10 year old?

parenting for gnarness
    Reach 11. canals, pump tracks at Rage, Desert Trails and McDoweel Mtn park.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Desert Classic on SoMo, SanTan, and Papago. Papago is fun for kids because you can park at Tempe Center for Arts and ride up to Papago and back down around Tempe Town Lake. It's a mix of paved trail and dirt trail. Plus you can break at the hole in the rock.

mtbr member
    I have been checking this since my monkey is 6 and wants to ride more too. I got to thinking of when I was a kid growing up here from ten on and where I rode. Back then in NW PHX there were lots of open areas and desert at hand. The pool guys would dump (illegally) piles and piles of dirt behind the strip malls and we would massage them into jumps and rollers. Hours spent in the desert exploring and riding around pretending I was Bob Hannah.

Back on topic- I like all the answers and think my little one is ready for Papago. He can pump track and we have done most of Reach 11. Thanks!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

slower than you

too bad HE'S not a 10-year-old GIRL...

'cause if he were (and y'all were in FLG), we'd have a few suggestions for ya...

Beginner trails for 10 years old boy-10425402_10152543564723123_1970191202947933470_n.jpg
    Rocky Ridge

Beginner trails for 10 years old boy-11164797_10152901068438123_9092030664380234790_n.jpg
    Schultz Tank

Beginner trails for 10 years old boy-13404_10152937561093123_8982257651482644726_n.jpg
    Arizona (Onceler) Trail

Beginner trails for 10 years old boy-11392952_10152993329768123_3844120942321139889_n.jpg
    Schultz Creek

Dogfood and Schultz (back when she was 9)
    Last edited by rockychrysler; 07-13-2015 at 09:21 AM.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Posted the same question here a while back. Error on the side of too easy and encourage him to walk where he does not feel comfortable. Remember to take breaks even if he looks fine.

Usery Park is likely the best location I have seen for a newbie. (have not been to Browns) Very little chunk or climbing if you stay around Blevins/Moon Rock. Really anything on the South side.

Hawes has some good stuff just off Power Road. park at the Park and ride and pick up the trail between Power and the Canal. Follow it past the Las Sendas entrance and stay to the West of the canal. Exit before you get to the red hill and head over to TRW (silver power pole 1/4 mile further North, go West.

Papago loop around the Golf Course is perfect. Most other Papago is fine, but the place is a little chunky at times for a first timer. Those places can be walked though. Can also go ride by the zoo and check out turtles too, Tempe Town lake, ....

I would wait on Desert Classic out of these. Some areas will be a little chunky for a newbie and some of the drops and climbs in and out of washes will be too much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Pretty much agree with above (Sugarhigh).

I intro'd my son (11yrs) on TRW. We would ride from the culdesac in Red Mtn Ranch out to Power and back. Did that several times while he got comfortable on the new-to-him 26" bike.

We'd then start adding some extra distance by dropping into Hawes over by the canal. he knows when to walk the bike, so still working several of the Hawes sections.

We now start at park-n-Ride and run out behind the houses and do the ridge "loop". He likes this "real" mountain biking!

Usery is great for a true beginner. I definitely agree that starting too much too soon can very likely just them afraid to go. But depends on kids' personality.

Have fun! My ride days with the boy are far from my hardest efforts, but sure are enjoyable!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Oh, and one of the things I found to actually be most intimidating to him was other riders. He knows what to do, but having someone come up behind can make a kid/newb nervous. And even I'm leary of oncoming traffic. I just assume everyone now has no idea how to ride or when to yield! ;-) For those reasons, I'd caution against a popular trail like DC.

mtbr member
    Usery in the east valley is what I think one of the better kid friendly training areas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Great information!

parenting for gnarness
    also highly recommend pads and gloves. If that means maybe you wait til it cools down, so be it. Nothing kills enthusiasm like a bad crash, and the flip side is walking away from a crash gives them experience and confidence. Cant say enough good things about Desert Trails - there is climbing and pucker moves (for noobs). You really need to build skills, confidence and strength alltogether and it all contributes.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Great info. Now to get my 4 year old off the training wheels. Tough to motivate her when it's so hot out.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    The G-shock pads are great for kids.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    I would wait on Desert Classic out of these. Some areas will be a little chunky for a newbie and some of the drops and climbs in and out of washes will be too much.
    I started my kid on DC when he was 8 and riding a 20" bike. It all depends on the skill level of your little one. Dad needs to be the judge of that. I did have to push him up some of the bigger rollers but he had no problems dropping in on them. Made sure he had pads and gloves to protect him but rarely needed them. Helmet and gloves are minimum requirement though. I liked to have him ride with long sleeve BMX/dirt bike jerseys for added protection.

Always appreciated when other riders would stop to let him drop in...Probably because they didn't expect an 8yr old to be riding DC.

Beginner trails for 10 years old boy-tris-mtb-2011.jpg

mtbr member
    I would agree! I started both my daughter and son on DC when they were 6 yo. We ride it at least twice a week now with my son being 9 and my daughter 8. Even my daughter rides Secret and Lower Corona without stopping and even on night rides.

Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    I started my kid on DC when he was 8 and riding a 20" bike. It all depends on the skill level of your little one. Dad needs to be the judge of that. I did have to push him up some of the bigger rollers but he had no problems dropping in on them. Made sure he had pads and gloves to protect him but rarely needed them. Helmet and gloves are minimum requirement though. I liked to have him ride with long sleeve BMX/dirt bike jerseys for added protection.

Always appreciated when other riders would stop to let him drop in...Probably because they didn't expect an 8yr old to be riding DC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tris MTB 2011.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	1001988

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    Browns Ranch in Scottsdale. I have taken my 10 yo girl and she loved it.
    I have never been out to Browns ranch, thinking about taking my 8 year old son in the morning. Any advice you have on where to park, what trail to hit and in what direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

livin' the dream......
    I have done some 7-8 mile rides with my daughter out at Browns Ranch over the past year, no problem. She just turned 9 last week, rides a 24" Raleigh and just loves using her bell to pass hikers
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Where are you guys finding riding clothes for the kids? Especially shorts. He'd probably prefer baggies, but Lycra would be OK, too. Anything has to be better than basketball shorts!