"No Clue Crew"

Beginner trail in Flagstaff ?

We are headed to Flag tomorrow to get out of the heat and will have a beginner riding with us. Can anybody point me to a beginner trail in Flag ? ( think Pemberton)

Thanks in advance.

My other ride is your mom
    ft. valley trail system is good

mtbr member
    Ditto on Fort Valley. You may want to consider riding from the west end trailhead. It's a lot more low key than the bottom of Schultz. There was probably 30 or 40 cars there today.

Cambell Mesa on the east site is good as well.

"No Clue Crew"
    Cool, thanks guys. I have only ridden Flag once. how do I get to the Fort Valley trail system ?

banned
    Campbell Mesa is more like Pemberton. I took a beginner out on Fort Valley and the climb up Moto was too much for him. Campbell Mesa is a cloverleaf trail system. From the trailhead, you can do a short two mile loop and then do a 3 mile loop and then the five mile loop, all without a lot of vertical. You will need to drive to exit 201 on I-40 (Country Club), and turn right. Drive a half mile and turn left onto Old Walnut Canyon Road. It's the corner where the driving range is. The road turns to dirt after a quarter mile. A quarter mile later you will see a parking lot on the left side of the road. Park there and ride uphill to the trailhead. The loop to your left is a 2 miler. They are in the process of putting up new signage so there is not a map of all the loops right now.

If you decide to ride Fort Valley, just drive from downtown out highway 180, about two miles. Turn right on Schultz Pass Road and drive about a half mile. You will see parked vehicles. The trailhead is about a quarter mile uphill. You will ride up Schultz Creek Trail about a half mile, until you see a trail splitting off uphill towards Schultz Pass Road. Follow that trail across the road, onto the Fort Valley Trails.

"No Clue Crew"
    Awesome, thank you for all the info !

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son
    Campbell Mesa is more like Pemberton. I took a beginner out on Fort Valley and the climb up Moto was too much for him. Campbell Mesa is a cloverleaf trail system. From the trailhead, you can do a short two mile loop and then do a 3 mile loop and then the five mile loop, all without a lot of vertical. You will need to drive to exit 201 on I-40 (Country Club), and turn right. Drive a half mile and turn left onto Old Walnut Canyon Road. It's the corner where the driving range is. The road turns to dirt after a quarter mile. A quarter mile later you will see a parking lot on the left side of the road. Park there and ride uphill to the trailhead.
    second prodigal's recommend, but only for the truly-nooby.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

shred my gnar
    soldiers and the bridge trail at ft. tuthill are good as well... bridge trail has some easily walkable tech sections that would keep things interesting for the non-newbs. soldiers is easy with some short climbs and fun twisty downs.

ft. tuthill is right off i-17 at the pulliam exit, west of the highway.

mtbr member
    Did you get out and ride at all? My girlfriend, friend and I got to check out the FT. Valley trails and they were pretty fun.. I coulda ridden that stuff all day not too much up and downs... After we did that we shuttled shultz creek

"No Clue Crew"
    We ended up doing 6 hours on Mt Humphreys. A little longer then we planned but definetely good times ! I am anxious to get back up there and check out more trails.
    I also sent you a pm.

Members who have read this thread: 0