Bees Knees- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bees Knees

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Bees Knees

Bees Knees .
    This is a really fun good ride with lots of climbing and some great hack and tech along the way .
    It will hurt and suck your lungs out there is no doubt , but pain is why we ride isn't it ??

from James Kelly Byrd on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    where is this at?

My other ride is your mom
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=10505458

Here are the results of a search on the AZ forum for Bees Knees.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by angry_young_and_poor
    where is this at?
    At the south west end of the mountain , we park right at the end of "Chandler blv" where it dead ends right at 19th ave .

"No Clue Crew"
    Sweet!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Did this ride from the ramadas last week on the SS. Tough climb with great views. Spot on about sucking the air out of your lungs!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    Did this ride from the ramadas last week on the SS. Tough climb with great views. Spot on about sucking the air out of your lungs!
    My God, that thing would kill me on a single speed , and you left from the ramadas also.
    You are into punishment , pain S&M , etc etc. you gota love it

mtbr member
    Are there any rideable trails into South Mountain from the far West end at 51st Avenue that would hook you up with Bees Knees, or just get you into the park? I'd be interested to see any Garmin links anybody has on this end of the Park. Thanks!

MTBikeAZ.com
    You could access National from Estrella, east of 43rd Ave. I don't have it mapped but it's a short connector from Estrella to San Juan Road. Zoom in on the aerial map to see. Ride National to Gila West to Bees Knees:
    http://mtbikeaz.com/trail-index/phoe...ark-trail-map/

West SoMo is a beautiful place. Have fun.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    My God, that thing would kill me on a single speed , and you left from the ramadas also. You are into punishment , pain S&M , etc etc. you gota love it
    My new sig! Thanks kelstr. FYI - it was also a night ride. Kind of wild to hear the coyotes from on high.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

It's a slugfest!
    Nice. Dang that looked steep in some sections! I thought we were going to get a little "Smoke on the Water" in the beginning there....also.... I think I saw the bees knees pumping a few times in the video...
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    Nice. Dang that looked steep in some sections! I thought we were going to get a little "Smoke on the Water" in the beginning there....also.... I think I saw the bees knees pumping a few times in the video...
    Oh my little Knees were a pumping like mad , Justin,Rob, Sam I Am , and Myself just finished the Bees Knees again this morning and the thing just does not let up , it just keeps getting steeper and keeps going and going .....
    Then when you are comming back out on "Gila" I believe its called , that thing is a long hard tech pull comming back out ,
    The thing is a great work out , but it does hurt

mtbr member
    My God, that thing would kill me on a single speed , and you left from the ramadas also.
    You need to sample the Koolaid Kelster, I think you would really enjoy it. As good as you are at the tech stuff you would be awesome on the SS. Mine is available for test ride any time.

mtbr member
    ...I don't think my lungs will be the same after breathing in all that ka-ka and small particulates in the air.

Nice little beatdown this morning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EZSHUM_331
    You need to sample the Koolaid Kelster, I think you would really enjoy it. As good as you are at the tech stuff you would be awesome on the SS. Mine is available for test ride any time.
    Man Ezra, you Alex and Andy really ride those single speeds very well and just keep on going .--( And Alex's bike is a ridged single speed at that )

I guess I will have to try one someday and see, but I would imagin it would take me along time to get strong enough to make one go .

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I rode that trail from Desert Classic. three months after surgery on a broken ankle, on a rigid SS. Should have known better but couldn't turn away from it! Made it to the top of the ridge and saw what was on the other side. Decided at that point that it was wiser to turn around and come back later! Could barely walk for two weeks afterwards, but it was a ride to remember!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    ...I don't think my lungs will be the same after breathing in all that ka-ka and small particulates in the air.

Nice little beatdown this morning.
    +2 on the heavy dirty air, it was nasty and tasted funny .
    Beatdown is right , coming out on Gila I was anaerobic for along time trying to catch up to you , -----I think coming out on Gila hurt's me worse that climbing up Bees Knees .

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dinglespeed
    I rode that trail from Desert Classic. three months after surgery on a broken ankle, on a rigid SS. Should have known better but couldn't turn away from it! Made it to the top of the ridge and saw what was on the other side. Decided at that point that it was wiser to turn around and come back later! Could barely walk for two weeks afterwards, but it was a ride to remember!
    My God you single speed guys are really into pushing it hard , Thats is a long ride coming up from DC, not to mention your ankle

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dinglespeed

Nice work! What gears? I've been working at some big climbs out at PMP on my SS (32x20) and want to start riding it out at SoMo........Drew

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Crank on Enduro brotheren nice work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MJRDR View Post
    Crank on Enduro brotheren nice work.
    Thanks, I am really starting to love that goofy little ride , even tho it just kicks my a$$ ,
    old "Sam I Am" really rides that whole loop really well , he put the hurt on me tuesday morning.

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Apologies for the bump, guys. I did the this trail a couple weeks ago, but instead of completing the loop, I went west towards the power line road to see where it led and it took me to a place where I had a "close call" in the past. A word of warning to any of you that want to approach the Bees Knees trails from the west avenues...

About 10 years ago, my brother and I were riding our CR125's back there and we came across a creepy shack now located at the far west end of the Bees Knees trail (if you follow the wash). If you've ever seen the movie "The Hills Have Eyes", the setting is pretty similar. We didn't make it very close because the occupants/mutants of said shack began shooting rounds overhead. We quickly made our way back on the power line road that brought us there. Yes, we were riding motorized vehicles in an area where it is now strictly prohibited, but that wasn't always the case and it didn't warrant shots being fired in our direction. I'm not sure if the same people live there, but I did see the shack in the distance a couple weeks ago and I wasn't about to approach it again. I'm not sure if he was a squatter, meth cook, or if he somehow owned the piece of land... but I'd be careful if any of you take that route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StabMasta View Post
    ...and we came across a creepy shack now located at the far west end of the Bees Knees trail (if you follow the wash). If you've ever seen the movie "The Hills Have Eyes", the setting is pretty similar.
    A couple weeks ago I went ahead and explored an entry from the West side around 51st Ave. and Pecos. I ended up riding right by those creepy shacks. Your description is accurate, but they were completely abandon. Didn't look like anyone had lived/squatted there for years. You can see my path right by them in the attached Garmin map. The loops on the northeasterly track is where I circled around them and checked them out. Click on aerial and zoom in. I ended up on the far west end of National and took it over to Gila. I think a better way in though, would be to enter a little to the northeast off Dusty Lane near those large round tanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0