Beerduro ideas?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Beerduro ideas?

Addicted to 2 wheels

Beerduro ideas?

After Estrella, I WONDER WHAT WILL BE NEXT?

- Dayduro - Cooler days temps can mean one do one of these during the day. Would need to start after 12 o'clock of course. Would likely open this up to a new crowd too.
    - Poker Run (Carduro) - Doug's brain child.
    - Campduro - Maybe a two day event, or just a real messy post race.
    - 40oz Beerduro - 20+ mile long event with chug at the the end, and likely not recommended to pack beers? Also, not meant for folks that are not used to going longer distances.
    - Chunkduro - Mormon National - More like trials than timed sections.
    - What will the next trail system be? Need a local that knows it well and can recon it.
    Comp Loops at MMP
    BCT
    Picket Post
    Sedona
    Prescott

Ideas? Any volunteers for a post Estrella event.

How much further ???
    Can always do a Hawes 3.0 during the day like you mentioned.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I can almost say with 100% certainty that the next Picketpost to Kelvin shuttle ride will involve a Beerduro. Way too many great sections on that route ripe for a timed segment. Due to the nature of that ride, the beer chug will be at the finish. It's also not a bad spot to camp out. Biggest challenge for this one will be securing enough shuttle vehicles.

Hmmmm, bikepackduro.....oh wait, we pretty much do that already, just need to time a couple sections.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    - Campduro - BCT.
    Well, I thought antelope canyon would be too far.. but gee you mention Sedona in there...

My vote would be either a day or night campBeerDuro on BCT off of Antelope Canyon Road Near the intersection with Bloddy Basin... We could use the dirt road as the climb Muligan...

Also keep in mind Cave Creek Park has a campground... No way could we do a Duro in the day there, But a nighttime one is feasible...

How much further ???

- Dayduro - Cooler days temps can mean one do one of these during the day. Would need to start after 12 o'clock of course. Would likely open this up to a new crowd too.
    - 40oz Beerduro - 20+ mile long event with chug at the the end, and likely not recommended to pack beers? Also, not meant for folks that are not used to going longer distances.
    - What will the next trail system be? Need a local that knows it well and can recon it.
    Comp Loops at MMP
    BCT
    Picket Post
    Sedona
    Prescott

To me the key elements need to be the following to maximize participation.

1) Needs to be close. The farther away the ride is, participation will drop.
    2) Need to be accessible. Both in terrain and ride type. You will lose more and more people the further the ride distance is, and the more difficult the terrain is.

I think the next step in Beerduro evolution is solidifying a series of annual events and creating a Beerduro Cup. We can then have over all winners at the end of the season. We limit it to 5 venues and make them well know. Each venue will have a lead coordinator to choose the segments and collaborate with the other leads on best practices. I think keeping it simple is always best.

2014 Beerduro Cup schedule (example)

Beerduro Hawes
    Beerduro Gold Canyon
    Beerduro PMP
    Beerduro PSP north
    Beerduro Estrella
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Oh and for the record. I went for an early morning ride out at Hawes this past Sunday morning. As I popped out of the trail system I saw a demo tent at the canal parking lot. It was the Two Wheel Jones shop so I stopped by to see what was going on. As I was talking with the guy about the bike I over heard a couple guys talking in the back and I overheard one of the say to the other? "Have you ever heard of a Beerduro? Its a total blast you should try it."

The word is getting out !!!!

Addicted to 2 wheels
    MTBAZ44, You want to coordinate or work with a coupe others to make the BCT happen?

Good points Doug.

I agree that longer drive and distance = less participation. I am OK with that, as the long haul should be a smaller group. It is not like we will not have the standard close short fun ones. A long beerduro could also entice some of the AES folks, and get folks from Flag, Prescott, Tucson to attend one, and maybe start organizing smaller ones in their area?

We can have a Beerduro Cup winner end of this year? We have results for all events. I think we should keep event and locations open. A little unknown and some chaos is good for the vibe of this thing.

Also, maybe we say we use your best 3 or 4 events, so folks don't have to make them all. I have chased points in a series in the past and it almost becomes a job and can take the fun out of it.

Awards should be very cheap and insignificant, like a 12 pack of Natty Light or something like that?

Also, we should should recognize the top women at each event.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=SugarHigh;11394182]MTBAZ44, You want to coordinate or work with a coupe others to make the BCT happen?

Yes, I can do that. I think march or april 2015 ? or is that too far away ?

Addicted to 2 wheels
    MtbAZ, It is your Beerduro. Totally your call when you want to do it. I would like to do something by November, but also want to do something in March/April. Work it out with with your collaborators. Cheers to you for bringing stoke to the community and let us all know how we can help!

mtbr member
    ...Also, maybe we say we use your best 3 or 4 events, so folks don't have to make them all. I have chased points in a series in the past and it almost becomes a job and can take the fun out of it....
    I also have participated in forms of racing where there area season points and can be highly competitive. My advice is to keep beerduro "freeform" and casual. I personally think there are other places to be highly competitive. Beerduro will attract people who want a fun experience with a little fun light hearted competition. Make it too tightly packaged and competitive and will be just another race series. I will say that it is not always easy to keep it light and fun with some competitiveness tossed in. As it gets more popular and more prestige it will increase the competitive drive which can change the feel of the event. Growth can be good, but also brings other hassles as well. Right now beerduro is really just a few mtn bikers enjoying an evening ride. We don't want turn these into formal event as the overhead grows as does the scrutiny from places we rather not have it if you know what I mean.

I for one do plan on attending more beerduros, but I can't make the next one due a schedule conflict.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    An idea for a location could be the lost dog trailhead. Would be similar to the PSP North in that there is a trailhead with a gate that closes at 7 so we wont be bothered sitting in the parking lot and there are some awesome trails to be ridden. I have a somewhat course planned out in my head but need to do some fine tuning

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Rad! Lost Dog is in Scottsdale around Shea and Frank Lloyd. I have never been there. Looks cool.

DJ, When did you want to do it? Anyone want to help him? I will help with start timing again if I can make the date.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I most likely wont be in town in October so I was thinking November. Gotta figure out an exact course. We can have a timed climb that is pretty treachorous and rocky but about half the distance of the 40 oz climb. No chance for it being in the daytime as their is usually a ton of hikers there.

mtbr member
    OK, so far this is what I have for a BCT Duro.
    When : Don't know, either March 7th or March 14th depending on MBAA races. Also an alternative rain move date will be given.
    Format : Start time around 2PM-3PM, DayDuro
    Where : BCT Antelope Canyon section. Camping, meet at top of mesa. Near Bloody Basin road intersection. There are plenty of parking areas and camping spots. I know the area pretty well.

If we don't get any Duro's in the near future, I could move this to November. But I don't want to step on anyone's toes , so, for now lets call it early March.

I thought of January. But that is too cold possibly. And February is Javelina season. And this is a VERY popular pig hunting location.

mtbr member
    FYI- The Lost Dog trail closes at sun down so I would think that 50 mtb riders might bring too much attention depending where you go. If you go past the Tallieson (sp) overlook you will start to go by houses and people will call the cops.

Meatbomb
    I thought the cops were called on the sunrise trail by Hidden Hills residence.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    FYI- The Lost Dog trail closes at sun down so I would think that 50 mtb riders might bring too much attention depending where you go. If you go past the Tallieson (sp) overlook you will start to go by houses and people will call the cops.
    The beer chugs are practically silent. They would never know we were there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    yeah i was thinking about that as well. the trails are just so nicely set up for a beerduro though its almost tempting to risk it. Most of what I had planned was inside the lost dog area including the beer chug with a little bit down taliesin and back up. ive ridden there at night a ton and never had a problem with people but you never know. The TH is away from everything so we would be fine there

mtbr member
    Meet in Colorado...

WEEDURO !

Addicted to 2 wheels
    We need to do our best to keep Beerduro out of the land manager spot light. No one wants to deal with the red tape, fees, ...

Good judgement should be used and we should not ride areas that have closed trails while we are there.

We also need to use good judgement if we do one in the day. It should not be a busy trail system.

If we do get questioned by a land manager, we are always on a trail ride. No one is in charge. Just an online thing.

I discussed writing an article with someone about Beerduro to spread the stoke, but I think it could back fire on us big time.

Maybe we are being too worried though? Short Track Papago is in the middle of the city in the day time every week during the summer. They chug beer on trail too.

Give it a crank
    Anyone consider moving the Estrella Duro next month to SoMo instead? More central, well known, more riders, more beeeer, more fun, more duro.

mtbr member

We also need to use good judgement if we do one in the day. It should not be a busy trail system.
    I'm confident the antelope bct won't be busy... espcially in the afternoon.. we may come across a biker or two.. but I rarely see other folks on that section.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Mtn-Rider, The folks from Estrella have invited us to their spot to ride a sweet course they are laying out. It is worth the drive. Going to new locations is another benfit too.

Someone else brought up doing one at Somo, but no one has made anything happen there yet. I imagine one will happen there eventually though. You want to coordinate it?

Ahhh the pain....
    We eliminated the AES race out at BCT because the land manager paid us a visit in our last race a few years ago. I'd suggest keeping it way under the radar. That same year, the short track papago dudes were gonna run a time trial out there and they nixed it due to excessive costs with insurance etc.

mtbr member
    The Estrella ones (FINS) one will be awesome. There is not a bad trail in the system. Almost seems like those trails (both the original and pirate) were built for a Beerduro! Very worth the drive.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    The Estrella ones (FINS) one will be awesome. There is not a bad trail in the system. Almost seems like those trails (both the original and pirate) were built for a Beerduro! Very worth the drive.
    I agree!
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member

Comp Loops at MMP
    BCT
    Picket Post
    Sedona
    Prescott

Canal race from Spoke and Wheel on Central to OHSO.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Winner idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Canal race from Spoke and Wheel on Central to OHSO.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mtn-Rider, The folks from Estrella have invited us to their spot to ride a sweet course they are laying out. It is worth the drive. Going to new locations is another benfit too.

Someone else brought up doing one at Somo, but no one has made anything happen there yet. I imagine one will happen there eventually though. You want to coordinate it?
    I'd be willing to help with this one. Some eastern loop stuff combined with the Mormon/national loop. Definitely would be a lot more technical then past duros

Give it a crank
    Sounds good, I'm in for Estrella then.

mtbr member
    So we are ON at Estrella for September 19th at 7PM. All of the trails out here, FINS and Pirates are on private property but approved by the HOA and land owner. We just got the go ahead with hosting from both (so we wouldn't run into troubles). It's a GO!!! But, we have to "officially" call it EstrellaDuro for legal reasons, but no waivers or anything like that. All the same fun aspects of the previous events will be there, and MORE!! I\we will start a thread under the name of Official EstrellaDuro Thread, where we'll post the details, really soon.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by kohill View Post
    So we are ON at Estrella for September 19th at 7PM. All of the trails out here, FINS and Pirates are on private property but approved by the HOA and land owner. We just got the go ahead with hosting from both (so we wouldn't run into troubles). It's a GO!!! But, we have to "officially" call it EstrellaDuro for legal reasons, but no waivers or anything like that. All the same fun aspects of the previous events will be there, and MORE!! I\we will start a thread under the name of Official EstrellaDuro Thread, where we'll post the details, really soon.
    SAAAAWheat! Looking forward to it!
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kohill View Post
    Is this at the Estrella Mountain Regional Park ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    These trails are west / south west of Estrella Mountain Park, on private property that allows mountain biking.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Nothing like that POS MBAA course by PRI. The trails are sweet and worth the drive.

mtbr member

Beerduro ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    No. Sweet sexy single track though. We are refinalizing the route tomorrow.
    It will be a blast.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Estrella is about to happen this Friday, and then we have no other Beerduro's on the near horizon. BCT is planned for March. Sure would be cool to get another riding area in the mix. SoMo? White Tanks?

Unless others want to line something else up, I am shooting to do the first 40 oz Beerduro at Hawes/Usery in the early November time frame. This will be a day event, with beers not encouraged until the late part of the ride. It will be around 30+ miles, 3,000 feet climbing, and take 6-7 hours. Tests will be in downhill, flow and tech. Think Pass Mtn CW, Twisted Sister, a chunk of Wild Horse, the entire length of the Hawes Downhill and some other fun thrown in. You will need to have your fitness, bike, and gear in order for this ride, as to not be an undue burden on the pace.

I will be doing a ride to figure it all out in the next few weeks if anyone wants to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I thought the cops were called on the sunrise trail by Hidden Hills residence.
    No way, Hidden Hills is bike friendly.

And yes, the cops did get called (I think chollaball is the one who dropped the dime). Sounded like Scottsdale residents were afraid that Fountain Hills people were illegally crossing the border into S'dale. That tends to bring down the property values, which lowers the amount of $$ available for schools. And it goes downhill from there.

But seriously, it is a REALLY bad idea to do something like this out in the preserve. You "might" get away with it out at Brown's Ranch, due to the relative remoteness, but there are just too many people living near Lost Dog and Gateway. They WILL see the lights and the WILL call the cops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Estrella is about to happen this Friday, and then we have no other Beerduro's on the near horizon. BCT is planned for March. Sure would be cool to get another riding area in the mix. SoMo? White Tanks?

Unless others want to line something else up, I am shooting to do the first 40 oz Beerduro at Hawes/Usery in the early November time frame. This will be a day event, with beers not encouraged until the late part of the ride. It will be around 30+ miles, 3,000 feet climbing, and take 6-7 hours. Tests will be in downhill, flow and tech. Think Pass Mtn CW, Twisted Sister, a chunk of Wild Horse, the entire length of the Hawes Downhill and some other fun thrown in. You will need to have your fitness, bike, and gear in order for this ride, as to not be an undue burden on the pace.

I will be doing a ride to figure it all out in the next few weeks if anyone wants to check it out.
    O yeah this sounds awesome. Soooooo down. And I have a feeling once Estrella happens then someone will come up with something for October.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    No way, Hidden Hills is bike friendly.

And yes, the cops did get called (I think chollaball is the one who dropped the dime). Sounded like Scottsdale residents were afraid that Fountain Hills people were illegally crossing the border into S'dale. That tends to bring down the property values, which lowers the amount of $$ available for schools. And it goes downhill from there.

But seriously, it is a REALLY bad idea to do something like this out in the preserve. You "might" get away with it out at Brown's Ranch, due to the relative remoteness, but there are just too many people living near Lost Dog and Gateway. They WILL see the lights and the WILL call the cops.
    Ive ridden in group rides of 5 or 6 people at the Lost Dog area and never had a problem. Maybe I can try and talk to the land owner or someone and see if we can get on going there. All of the riding for the course I have planned stays in the area and there isn't too many houses there.

Quote Originally Posted by djyoung4 View Post
    O yeah this sounds awesome. Soooooo down. And I have a feeling once Estrella happens then someone will come up with something for October.

Ive ridden in group rides of 5 or 6 people at the Lost Dog area and never had a problem. Maybe I can try and talk to the land owner or someone and see if we can get on going there. All of the riding for the course I have planned stays in the area and there isn't too many houses there.
    The land owner is the city of Scottsdale. So, good luck with that.

Consider that the rules of the preserve prohibit alcohol (or as they so gracelessly put it "any spirituous liquor, including beer") and that you are only allowed there from sunrise to sunset I'm thinking they won't be real excited about a group of 50 MTBers swigging beer and riding trails at night. Sounds like a blast to me, but some people don't have the same idea of fun.

But, hey, give it a whirl. After all I did contact the Hidden Hills HOA to try and get permission for AES to go through the neighborhood for like a 2-3 hour period, one day of the year. You can guess the rudeness that polite request was met with. We all have our windmills...

mtbr member
    Sean- I may be down for that recon and hopefully for the ride too. You thinking a Saturday or Sunday? Kid has soccer games on Saturdays- unless our team/group implodes.

mtbr member

Beerduro ideas?

Pending the success of the first Estrella beer duro Friday, we will be planning Another one to take place across the street on the FINS trail system.

Looking forward to seeing you and meeting some of you Friday night!

mtbr member
    I've been toying with the idea of hosting a beerduro in the Santans. There are some fun and fast trails out there and it would be a blast.
    Shit happens...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of hosting a beerduro in the Santans. There are some fun and fast trails out there and it would be a blast.
    In, except for Friday until after Thanksgiving.

mtbr member
    Post ride parts swap? Bring a box of your old bike junk and trade/sell?