Bee Encounters- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bee Encounters

mtbr member

Bee Encounters

Weird for the second time in two years I was attacked by two maybe three bees. That few bees makes me think I wasn't near the hive so the attack seemed unwarranted. Curiuos if anyone else has had a similar incident or a bee swarm attack?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    bees will be bees

Meatbomb
    I hope not. I'm highly allergic.

mtbr member
    Bees don't attack while swarming but they often attack if you're near their hive. The fact that there were only a few isn't unusual ime, they were gaurd bees doing their job. Most bees in the hive are workers.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I've never had anything like that happen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Bees don't attack while swarming but they often attack if you're near their hive. The fact that there were only a few isn't unusual ime, they were gaurd bees doing their job. Most bees in the hive are workers.
    That makes sense but why do people get hundreds of stings if not by a swarm. I was only stung twice. They like the back of your head/neck area...

livin' the dream......
    I read someplace that those 'patrol' bees will only go so far from the hive. Sometimes, a change in terrain will be the end of their zone. For example, I have had 1-2 bees buzzing me at close range for a few minutes coming up a climb. Once I crested that climb, they left me alone and were gone.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    I read someplace that those 'patrol' bees will only go so far from the hive. Sometimes, a change in terrain will be the end of their zone. For example, I have had 1-2 bees buzzing me at close range for a few minutes coming up a climb. Once I crested that climb, they left me alone and were gone.
    Initially I was stopped but easy enough to outride them once it started. I rode maybe 700' then stopped to get the stingers out and in few seconds another one showed up going for the back of the head again. Didn't stop after that till the parking lot.. lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    That makes sense but why do people get hundreds of stings if not by a swarm. I was only stung twice. They like the back of your head/neck area...

Maybe the multiple stings were from hornets or wasps, bees are one and done.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Initially I was stopped but easy enough to outride them once it started. I rode maybe 700' then stopped to get the stingers out and in few seconds another one showed up going for the back of the head again. Didn't stop after that till the parking lot.. lol
    According to the article linked below, Africanized bees will chase up to a quarter mile, compared to more docile bees which only chase for around 100 yards.I don't think I've every run into those, my last bee sting was 20 years ago when I sucked one into my mouth and got bit on the lip, which swelled up enough to make my post-ride beer a drizzly mess.

https://www.grandcanyonnews.com/news...way-to-grand-/
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Bees release pheromones when stinging. If there are other bees around the pheromones will attract them and stimulate them to also attack the threat

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Weird for the second time in two years I was attacked by two maybe three bees. That few bees makes me think I wasn't near the hive so the attack seemed unwarranted. Curiuos if anyone else has had a similar incident or a bee swarm attack?
    Sounds like African bees, they are very aggressive. I've been noticing more of them all around the valley. African bees will pursue you for hundreds of yards. Normal American bees ignore you unless you provoke or threaten them. African bees are the ones that you read about people getting stung a hundred times, their stings in large quantities can kill you if untreated.

Since 2 or 3 stung you unprovoked and another followed you on your bike, they were definitely African bees.

What trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A/C in Az View Post
    Sounds like African bees, they are very aggressive. I've been noticing more of them all around the valley. African bees will pursue you for hundreds of yards. Normal American bees ignore you unless you provoke or threaten them. African bees are the ones that you read about people getting stung a hundred times, their stings in large quantities can kill you if untreated.

Since 2 or 3 stung you unprovoked and another followed you on your bike, they were definitely African bees.

What trail?
    Latigo at Browns Ranch. A Steward happened to be in the parking lot so I pointed it out on the map for him. Probably take more than one report for them to do anything from what he told me...

mtbr member
    Hopefully they leave them bee, even if they're Africanized ones they're essential for many reasons. They may not have been Africanized though, even normal honeybees can be pretty aggressive, my wife kept bees for awhile and they could get really defensive at times.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Like I told him maybe a warning sign like they do at PMP but I'm not convinced I was anywhere near the hive. May have more to do with me since this is the second time it's happened. Maybe the back of my head looks just like a honey badger...

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Bees will go for your head. I worked on a ranch years ago and drove a rake. I drove over a couple of hives in my time and would find bees going for my head, neck, and face.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.