drink coffee, ride.

BCT - wow, what weather is this?

That cool front was something else. Made a solo run to the Bumble Bee trailhead, hadn't ridden from there headed south yet. Pretty killer piece of trail.

From Biking

Anybody else look across the valley and just wish there were switchbacks going up those things?
    From Biking

It was a great day for a ride. Then, back home to have coffee and pancakes with my wife.

Trail Monger
    Today I participated in a shuttle from Bumble Bee TH. That trail is getting better and better by the minute. I think it is my favorite even though we lost the actual trail. We could not find the singletrack heading off the jeep portion of BCT. We had to ride on some streets to get back to Rock Srpings TH. BTW the weather was AWESOME today! Brian

aka Diesel
    SHHHHH! Don't skeer it away! Is this awesome or what??
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    it was a perfect weekend for MTBing anywhere in AZ. nice photos.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

Team Tortuga
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog
    Today I participated in a shuttle from Bumble Bee TH. That trail is getting better and better by the minute. I think it is my favorite even though we lost the actual trail. We could not find the singletrack heading off the jeep portion of BCT. We had to ride on some streets to get back to Rock Srpings TH. BTW the weather was AWESOME today! Brian
    The weather was awesome today! I think we wouldn't have missed the turnoff if we weren't going warp factor 9 down the fire road. For anyone who wants to experience the BCT for the first time and is worried about it I think the shuttle from the Bumble Bee TH to the Rock Springs TH is the perfect intro.

drink coffee, ride.
    I would agree, the switchbacks down into the BCC valley were a lot of fun - Although I still look across that valley and think...if there were just some switchbacks going up that...

I know AKAmonkeybutt's made the ride up the road to Crown King, in the winter, in the snow (that's just nutty) but on a cool sunny day, that would be an awesome climb.

Trail Monger
    Bumble Bee TH to RS TH is a good mix of trail types. It seems to be a technicians pipe dream and xc marathon. It only adds up to 13mi and is basically downhill. Of course there are some serious climbs. Overall it is best in the spring, when it is not hot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We had a group of 6 for a Saturday night ride from Bumble Bee north. Other than 2 flats in the group it was awesome out there in the dark. That section of trail needs more use. My shins look I got in a fight with a feral cat from the over grown brush. Amazing tail construction though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog
    Brian,
    How??? I thought you had it dialed. And yes it was awesome out there. I didn't need to consume all 8 gallons I brought

Trail Monger
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    Brian,
    How??? I thought you had it dialed. And yes it was awesome out there. I didn't need to consume all 8 gallons I brought
    I guess crazy irish said it best, "warp 9." We always went south from Rock Springs. This time we set up a little shuttle. I am glad we did because it was kinda tough to tackle all the obstacles. I think that this is my favorite section now. All I need is the turn off data at the top of the jeep road(thanks Dale) to complete this section. Chip, I have the trail "dialed in" but been been going south instead. I have completed the the north switches but have been lame in figuring out the jeep road situation. I wish the trail was only "switchback" and not jeep roads.

Tucson, AZ
    Love that section of the trail. The rock work is down right amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough
    I would agree, the switchbacks down into the BCC valley were a lot of fun - Although I still look across that valley and think...if there were just some switchbacks going up that....
    I have a route that you could do that would steer you toward Senator Highway. The word brutal and steep as hell come to mind to describe it. Although not switchbacks, it is pretty small double track that you would like, plenty of mines to peer into also.

I have been daydreaming about a BCT (end to end) to Crown King and back, lollipop style (you would drop down into the Cottonwoods) day-ride.

Just another half mile...
    BLM signed and marked all the trail junctions all the way to Hidden Treasure Mine north of Bumble Bee a few months ago. You should be able to follow it unless you are flying down a section and blow by the sign. Sometimes they are not the easiest thing to see. Always take map just in case you miss a turn to figue out your way back on course.

Hopefull by then end of the next trail building season we will have it open all the way to SR 69.

Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    Brian,

Team Tortuga
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    You should be able to follow it unless you are flying down a section and blow by the sign. Sometimes they are not the easiest thing to see. Always take map just in case you miss a turn to figue out your way back on course.
    I just reviewed your map and some satellite imagery and that is exactly what happened. We somehow missed what looks like a 90deg turn to the west when heading south down the jeep road just north of K-mine. We ended up on the purple lines (jeep roads) that are on your map just east of the K-mine south segment and wound up crossing the wash and riding Kings Way back to the TH. Should have printed a map or slowed down or backtracked or........what am I talking about, it was an adventure. What more can you ask for on a cool mid June day in AZ?

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by crAZy Irish
    .......what am I talking about, it was an adventure. What more can you ask for on a cool mid June day in AZ?
    that line right there - I need to ride with you guys sometime

Chad - that would be an interesting loop, maybe a little farther than I have the fitness for right now, but still, it's an adventure, right? Still looking forward to a Flag to Sedona ride, point to point ride with pizza in Sedona for me though

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by crAZy Irish
    I just reviewed your map and some satellite imagery and that is exactly what happened. We somehow missed what looks like a 90deg turn to the west when heading south down the jeep road just north of K-mine. We ended up on the purple lines (jeep roads) that are on your map just east of the K-mine south segment and wound up crossing the wash and riding Kings Way back to the TH. Should have printed a map or slowed down or backtracked or........what am I talking about, it was an adventure. What more can you ask for on a cool mid June day in AZ?
    When we did the BCT Monstercross N -> S a month and a half ago, we missed that too. We blew past it, then went down a long downhill, then realized we were off-track, thanks to a GPS. We reversed course and climbed the long hill, and still couldn't find it. We had to zoom in on the GPS, and really, carefully look, before we spotted a trail sign on the singletrack. The problem was that the sign was not at the junction of the jeep road, where the singletrack turned off; rather, it was in about 25 yards or so. Hopeully, they will move the sign to mark the juncture...
    Ride more; post less...

Just another half mile...
    This is good user input on sign placement. I am not exactly sure where you are talking about. Can you point out the locations on my MAP using the MP's as a reference point. I then can relay the info to BLM to see if they can add some more way finding route signs at the critical turning points.

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    When we did the BCT Monstercross N -> S a month and a half ago, we missed that too. We blew past it, then went down a long downhill, then realized we were off-track, thanks to a GPS. We reversed course and climbed the long hill, and still couldn't find it. We had to zoom in on the GPS, and really, carefully look, before we spotted a trail sign on the singletrack. The problem was that the sign was not at the junction of the jeep road, where the singletrack turned off; rather, it was in about 25 yards or so. Hopeully, they will move the sign to mark the juncture...

drink coffee, ride.
    Somebody just needs to bring a boot! - That has been the best trailmarker I've seen, and has stayed there an amazingly long time.

mtbr member
    I lost the trail in this vicinity as well about two weeks ago. Never did figure out where it picked up again headng south on the jeep road (M33 or so on Epicrider's map). I thought I was on the Kay Mine North segment but I could have been on what is traced in as a purple line (Soap Creek Rd0. I was out of time (the fam was waiting at the pie place) so I backtracked down to Maren Ave. and had them pick me up at the Greyhound Park.

Still, what I rode is some great trail. Kudos to the builders and maintainers

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    This is good user input on sign placement. I am not exactly sure where you are talking about. Can you point out the locations on my MAP using the MP's as a reference point. I then can relay the info to BLM to see if they can add some more way finding route signs at the critical turning points.
    Dale - I think it's that 90-degree turn between M32 and M31. We went past that on the purple line, up the hill, then down the other side, then backtracked to find it.
    Ride more; post less...

Members who have read this thread: 0