Just another half mile...

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! BCT Trail Work - Dec 10th

It's that time of the year again to add more trail to the word famous BCT! This time we will be working on a more technical loop off of the east Little Pan Loop. We built close to a mile of it last year and have four more miles to complete. The first mile we built has several little fun rock features to rock over and the trail is narrower and tighter. So come out and lend a hand!

UPDATE:

Work Event Description

Date: Saturday December 10, 2011

Time: 9:00 AM

Meet At: Location described in “Directions” below

Work Location: Little Pan Loop eastern segment

Activities: Construct non-motorized trail using accepted trail building techniques and hand tools.

This is a physical activity requiring certain health and safety considerations. Please be aware of your personal physical condition, wear appropriate attire, such as long sleeves and hat if you are sun sensitive, gloves and sturdy footwear.

Bring sun screen, your own soft or sports drinks. We will provide bottled water and lunch.

Tools to be used: Pulaski, McLeod, shovel, pick mattock, limb lopper, and pruning saw. Tools will be provided, but you are welcome to bring your own if they are marked for easy identification.

Directions: From Interstate 17, either direction; take exit 236 (Table Mesa Rd) toward Table Mesa Trailhead, proceed approximately 1.6 mile to the first “Y” intersection. Take the right fork and proceed approximately .6 mile to the next “Y” intersection. Take the left fork and proceed approximately .6 mile further to the parking area. Directional signs will be posted. We will carpool from there. The road to the worksite is a little rough, so high clearance is recommended.

MAP to meeting place from I-17,

The road is a little ruff getting out the meeting place, but my Subie can make it easily.
    Last edited by Epicrider; 12-06-2011 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Put this on my calendar. It's been too long since I made a BCT work day. Mmmmm Techy BCT! can't wait to move some Rocks!

When MonkeyButt, SL, and I we riding north from Emory H to Table Mesa, we saw a bunch of new trail marked out. Is this more re-routes or new trails to be built??? looked like some nice terrain!
    b

mtbr member
    A few of us were planning to ride on the 10th from RS to LPL and maybe even take the loop too. If we find you guys, maybe we can pitch in for a bit.

How much further ???
    Assuming this is to bypass the Jeep Rd section?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Assuming this is to bypass the Jeep Rd section?
    not intentionally. this is to add additional loop options. I have not seen the planed new trails, so can't say if they will result in a bypass of anything. The intension was to add trails that have more technical features that MTBers *may* like. relaxing the requirements of a true multi use trail a little bit to add intrest. i.e. not make it as horse accommodating. adn add things like Dale mentioned, Rock to Rock features.
    b

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc View Post
    not intentionally. this is to add additional loop options. I have not seen the planed new trails, so can't say if they will result in a bypass of anything. The intension was to add trails that have more technical features that MTBers *may* like. relaxing the requirements of a true multi use trail a little bit to add intrest. i.e. not make it as horse accommodating. adn add things like Dale mentioned, Rock to Rock features.
    I guess this answers the question: How could you make the BCT even more awesomerrrrrr?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This is the best news I have heard in a long time! I thought I had lost this sport to amature and geriatric riders...

Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    It's that time of the year again to add more trail to the word famous BCT! This time we will be working on a more technical loop off of the east Little Pan Loop. We built close to a mile of it last year and have four more miles to complete. The first mile we built has several little fun rock features to rock over and the trail is narrower and tighter. So come out and lend a hand!

We will be meeting Saturday morning out near the east Little Pan Loop off of Table Mesa Road. I will post up tiem and direction s later once I get them.

Sounds great. However, that is the day of the McDowell AES ride.

Is there a date for the next work day yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Sounds great. However, that is the day of the McDowell AES ride.

Is there a date for the next work day yet?
    Here are the tentative dates on the website. As information is updated I'm sure Epicrider and others will post up on MTBR. Given the intension of these loops, it would be great to get a buch of MTBRs out there to help out.

November 19, 2011

December 10, 2011

January 14, 2012

February 11, 2012

March 10, 2012

April 14, 2012

Other workdays can be scheduled to suit your groups availability. Please contact bob@bctaz.org.
    b

Updated meeting time and location in top post

mtbr member
    Updated meeting time and location in top post
    Thanks Dale!
    b

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are the orange/black-stripe "proposed new non-motorized trails" in this figure from the BLM proposed plans the ones that you're working on?

And, are any parts of the them actually open. I've never actually pitched in and actually help build any trail, but this seems to fit my schedule.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BCT Trail Work - Dec 10th-bct.jpg  

Great! Come on out! Yes the orange/black-stripe are "proposed new non-motorized trails". They show the general area, but the actual layout is different once Troy started to flag the trail in the field. There is about a mile of trail built but it doesn't connect to the exising BCT trail yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Are the orange/black-stripe "proposed new non-motorized trails" in this figure from the BLM proposed plans the ones that you're working on?

And, are any parts of the them actually open. I've never actually pitched in and actually help build any trail, but this seems to fit my schedule.

My epitaph

Hope

First off let me start by saying I appreciate all of the effort that many people have made to make this trail possible. The trail from New River north is some of my favorite places to ride in the state. Today I rode from the Carefree Hwy. TH north to the EH TH and back. I knew this was not supposed to be the best ride going into it but I wanted to check it out for myself. To say this part of BCT sucks is being kind. 90 % jeep road and river rocks. At least it was marked well with signage. I realize this isn't the most scenic or hilly part of the trail but I see no reason we couldn't reroute a nice 7 mile ribbon of singletrack through here. It sure would be nice to be able to ride to trail instead of loading up the truck and driving. Please look into some trail work on this section. I will be the first to sign up to help.

The BCT between Carefree Hwy and EH lies in a narrow BLM owned corridor that was purchased from State Lands many years ago. So there is no room really to reroute the BCT within the narrow corridor, and there are no plans to do much more work on that section in the near future except building trail head with parking and restrooms just off of Carefree Hwy. Eventually that section of BCT will be surrounded by development once State Land sells off the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rode View Post
    First off let me start by saying I appreciate all of the effort that many people have made to make this trail possible. The trail from New River north is some of my favorite places to ride in the state. Today I rode from the Carefree Hwy. TH north to the EH TH and back. I knew this was not supposed to be the best ride going into it but I wanted to check it out for myself. To say this part of BCT sucks is being kind. 90 % jeep road and river rocks. At least it was marked well with signage. I realize this isn't the most scenic or hilly part of the trail but I see no reason we couldn't reroute a nice 7 mile ribbon of singletrack through here. It sure would be nice to be able to ride to trail instead of loading up the truck and driving. Please look into some trail work on this section. I will be the first to sign up to help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rode View Post
    Last January I rode from home (43rd ave/Happy Valley), across the desert to Carefree hwy, and the wide rocky river crossing used to be almost fun? and rideable, nothing like it is now...obliterated/HAB/big rocks/sand. I would only recommend riding north from Emery Henderson, although it would be nice to ride from the Deem Hills area to BCT, crossing that southernmost section of BCT really sucks cholla balls plus the crossing the new 303 fences? Maybe go under through a culvert?

Closekids.com
    I have never been to BCT, but am excited to try. What is the best TH and direction from there please?
    Thank you for the input.
    BJ
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    I have never been to BCT, but am excited to try. What is the best TH and direction from there please?
    Thank you for the input.
    BJ
    How much climbing do you want to do and what kind of distance are you looking for?

There are tons of options.....

Closekids.com
    I just decided to give it a whirl on my own. Parked at the Table Mesa TH and took the west side of the loop north. Got to where the trail met the jeep road and someone said I would have to take the jeep road for a bit. Saw a few trail signs when I hit the creek crossing, but never picked it up after that.
    Ran into a couple of cops arresting some people and took jeep roads back to the car.
    Trail was great IMHO. Getting lost blew.

To answer your question, I'm looking for fun! 15 miles or so.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".