BCT Trail Building Event Sat 12/15- Mtbr.com
    wrecking crew

BCT Trail Building Event Sat 12/15

Hi everyone,

Hope you aren't sick of my BCT posts! I received this email from Bob Cothern of the Black Canyon Trail Coalition this morning regarding the trail work event this Saturday. Jeff and I are planning to attend as usual. Please come join us if you can. We are almost finished with tie-ing the two ends together and with a good sized group, this could be a reality at this next trail building event!

Su Ling

Season's Greetings Volunteers,

First, I wish you all a safe and happy holiday season.

Next, I want to invite you to the trail workday this Saturday, December 15th, to participate in our "Golden Pick" day, which will (hopefully) be the day we complete the connection in the center of the Skyline trail segment. We are getting very close and, with a sizeable group of motivated volunteers, should be able to connect the ends.

Then, everyone will be invited to attend the grand opening celebration in January. Details of that event will be on our website, www.bctaz.com, by the end of December, and I will send an e-mail.

Please join us this Saturday,

Bob

Work Event Description

Date: Saturday, December 15, 2007

Time: 8:00 AM

Meet At: BCC Trailhead, Black Canyon City, Arizona

Work Location: Skyline Trail Segment of the Black Canyon Trail

Activities: Construct non-motorized trail using accepted trail building techniques and hand tools along previously flagged route.

This is a physical activity requiring certain health and safety considerations. Please be aware of your personal physical condition, wear appropriate attire, such as long sleeves and hat if you are sun sensitive, gloves and sturdy footwear.

Bring sun screen, your own soft or sports drinks and snacks. We will provide bottled water and lunch.

Tools to be used: Pulaski, McCloud, shovel, pick mattock, limb lopper, and pruning saw. Tools will be provided, but you are welcome to bring your own if they are marked for easy identification.

Directions: From Interstate 17, either direction; take exit 242 (Black Canyon City), turn west, proceed to stop sign, then turn north on the frontage road, drive approximately 290 ft to first road on left, turn left on Warner Rd, drive approximately 1290 ft to first crossroad, turn right and proceed approximately 430 ft to parking area at the end of the road. Directional signs will be posted.

For the GPS aficionados the coordinate is N34 3.140', W112 9.048', using the NAD27 Datum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by su.ling~; 12-14-2007 at 07:55 AM.
    ~~~

I'm "bad" different
    I should be there. Gotta get my pickin' fix. I've got my subzero suit all ready to go. The truck needs a BJ or 4 , so I might be lookin' to bum a ride in the monkeybuttmobile if I don't find time to get the job done this week.

Now, if the triple sticks to Sunday this is looking to be a kick@ss weekend!

mtbr member
    bump.........

I'll be making an appeance. depending on lighting and the status of the scenery I might want to pose a few pictures...if someone were to bring a bike.
    b

mtbr member
    I am a maybe for this Saturday. Is anyone planning on riding from the trailhead to the work area?

mtbr member
    Sorry to miss the Golden Pick day but I can't make this one. Have fun!

ride.

I heart BCT

i love riding BCT from table mesa road so much that i am planning on riding it from as far north as possibe to carefree hwy monday and tuesday (me and my BOB trailer)
    I would love to help dig since i use this trail so much, but i am a poor sap that works on saturdays.

Is there there enough interest to get a Sunday trail day fired up before summer?

mtbr member
    I'm in for 1/2 day. Hey Brian I'll bring a bike If you're going to have one.
    I'll also bring a big backpack with trail working shoes and so on. I remember the day that sam hiked and built tril in his bike shoes. my feet were screaming for him!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    I'm in for 1/2 day. Hey Brian I'll bring a bike If you're going to have one.
    I'll also bring a big backpack with trail working shoes and so on. I remember the day that sam hiked and built tril in his bike shoes. my feet were screaming for him!
    I'll have a backpack with the big camera but no bike. too many things to keep track of.

Are you going to Vato's tonight?
    b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    I'll have a backpack with the big camera but no bike. too many things to keep track of.

Are you going to Vato's tonight?
    Si, Hasta Luego

wrecking crew
    Hey Weezy...check your PMs if you need a ride!
    ~~~

I'm "bad" different
    Not gonna make it. I answered the phone on a Friday afternoon and now I have to go to Detroit this weekend for work. No pickin' and no triple - this blows. Good luck getting the 2 ends together, wish I could be there.

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by WeezPuff
    Not gonna make it. I answered the phone on a Friday afternoon and now I have to go to Detroit this weekend for work. No pickin' and no triple - this blows. Good luck getting the 2 ends together, wish I could be there.
    Bummer!!!! Detroit = No fun! That really sucks...Well, have fun if you can.

Next time,don't answer the phone on a Friday afternoon!
    ~~~

mtbr member
    We did it! The BCT now runs all the way to Black Canyon City. The new trail past the old dead end is amazing. The river has a lot of water in it and was COLD! A huge thanks to everyone who helped out on trail days

Maybe a BCT epic next weekend? Any takers?

mtbr member
    Good job guys, you put in alot of work on that trail. They should name a section of it after you two, hows about the monkeyling section??? I might be in for the epic soon.
    SHITBIRD

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    We did it! The BCT now runs all the way to Black Canyon City. The new trail past the old dead end is amazing. The river has a lot of water in it and was COLD! A huge thanks to everyone who helped out on trail days

Maybe a BCT epic next weekend? Any takers?
    Very cool!!! Ya'll must have had a good showing of workers today. I'm sure it was great fun to make the final connection.

Monkeybutt and SuLing deserve huge thanks for motivating so many in the mtn biking community to help out on on BCT trail days. Their dedication to working on the trail and inspiring others to do the same has been, well, inspiring! Thanks to you both!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Very cool!!! Ya'll must have had a good showing of workers today. I'm sure it was great fun to make the final connection.

Monkeybutt and SuLing deserve huge thanks for motivating so many in the mtn biking community to help out on on BCT trail days. Their dedication to working on the trail and inspiring others to do the same has been, well, inspiring! Thanks to you both!!
    +1

I'll pack some cold ones for the after ride toast
    Do what it takes to move through

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

mtbr member
    You guys rule.
    I think Suling, Jeff and Chris have been there nearly every time for the last 2 years! What a committment. Thanks!
    Hey Chris. Did you cross through the water again, or did you take the horse across? Brian crossed at the rope and it seemed even deeper. I climbed up some rocsknand found some shin deep water.

Meatpuppet
    You guys rule.
    I think Suling, Jeff and Chris have been there nearly every time for the last 2 years! What a committment. Thanks!
    Hey Chris. Did you cross through the water again, or did you take the horse across? Brian crossed at the rope and it seemed even deeper. I climbed up some rocsknand found some shin deep water.
    Wheres my bridge????
    all I saw was a log half a$$ thrown into the water

we crossed over where we first looked (I just wanted to take my pants off again), it was real shallow but the bottom was covered with little rocks- it hurted
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrodr
    Wheres my bridge????
    all I saw was a log half a$$ thrown into the water

we crossed over where we first looked (I just wanted to take my pants off again), it was real shallow but the bottom was covered with little rocks- it hurted
    hehe. the bridge plan didn't work so well.

Tucson, AZ
    hehe. the bridge plan didn't work so well.
    Did someone lose their Utah license out there yesterday? When I was crossing the creek (most southern crossing), I stumbled upon it; left it at the TH today. The crossings were not too bad. just a little rough on the feet. I did a crossing on the Oak Creek yesterday, have to admit is was a little easier.

Great trail and work. The horses made some of the sections a little bumpy and rough (for those with hardtails).

Members who have read this thread: 0