BCT newbie- Mtbr.com

Thread: BCT newbie

How much further ???

BCT newbie

Any suggestions for a first time out to BCT? I was thinking of starting at the BC City TH and heading south to do the little pan loop and back. How is the ride heading north of the BC City TH?

Oh I also remember people saying either CW or CCW is better when going around the little pan loop but I cant remember.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

No new blood
    First time out I'd suggest riding with someone who knows the trail. Riding from Rock Springs (BC City) south to the north end of Little Pan and back is a 17-18 mile ride. The loop (CCW if you do it) adds 4 miles, 2 river crossings, more climbing and slower (rockier, twistier) descending compared to rest of the trail north of the loop. Bring lots of water and hope for a day like today where temps were down and the sun never broke through the clouds.

We did a spring fling group ride to the north end of the loop that was great for some a a real challenge for others, but everyone finished.

North from Rock Springs is a direction most people come FROM. Maybe others can chime in on what that is like, I've never been on the section between Bumblebee and RS.

You can get a feel for BCT by going north from the Emery Henderson TH off New River Road towards Table Mesa. That's good ride, but not as challenging as other sections.
    "I've upped my standards. Now, up yours." - P. Paulsen

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Douger, I am all about getting out there and trying new stuff. I hit BCT solo the first couple times I did it. You do not want to ride from RS to Bumble Bee, unless you want a brutal and sustained uphill back to your vehicle. RS to the beginning of the Little Pan Loop and back (out & back) is a great intro on some of the most dramatic single track of the entire BCT (IMHO). Shuttling from RS to the Table Mesa Road trailhead is another good first-ride option. A buddy and I are riding RS to the Little Pan turnoff and back on Tuesday if you want to go with someone. Otherwise, get out there, solo it, take plenty of water and gear, let someone know where you're going, and have a great--and sensible--day, and tell us about your exploits.

How much further ???
    Im actually planning to head out to do the exact same ride tomorrow myself with another forum member. Im hoping todays rains dont have a big impact on the river crossings. Im not familiar with the area and not how much rain is needed to get the river really flowing.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just rode out there yesterday, river crossing was not bad at all. It was lower then last time i crossed it. Bring a pair of sandals with you or extra socks for river crossing to keep your feet dry. It sucks riding with wet socks/ shoes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sandals is a great suggestion, those rocks f-ing HURT walking barefoot. You might not think so, but trust me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Got a suspension fork
    Check the water flow before you go, to be safe probably under 100 is good.

5 of us just did BCT Rock Springs & Little Pan Loop on Friday - great ride. Here's the GPS info.

I was glad I brought sandals.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr dismember

Try here

Try here. Rode it Saturday.

How much further ???
    Any idea how BCT sheds water after a rain? Id hate to make the drive up there and the trail is in bad shape. I will not ride if Im damaging a trail. Would you think riding tomorrow morning is a good idea or not?

Just another half mile...
    For the most part, BCT drains really well south of Black Canyon City. Should be good to go a day after a rain. There are few clay areas on the northern sections just north of Glorianna TH that may need a couple of days to dry out or your bike will load up with mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Any idea how BCT sheds water after a rain? Id hate to make the drive up there and the trail is in bad shape. I will not ride if Im damaging a trail. Would you think riding tomorrow morning is a good idea or not?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Rode BCT Rock Spgs south yesterday morning, and I must say that the trail condition was perfect. The rain left the trail tacky, traction was perfect, I did NOT fall into my cactus, never had more fun riding it!! And the cumulus clouds? Man, they sure make the already-spectacular scenery even more so!

Members who have read this thread: 0