BCT Monstercross- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

BCT Monstercross

Some of us are looking to do a "BCT Monstercross" in the next few weeks, before it gets too hot, and have some questions.

First of all, the "BCT Monstercross" is loosely defined as doing a point-to-point ride from one end to the other. It seems that going from north to south is the recommended, and most flowy, option.

Dale's (epicrider) latest maps for the BCT trail system are here:
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th....php?album=163

Some questions:
    - Assuming we ride north to south, which is generally "downhill" and flows much better, is it worth riding the section south of the Emery Henderson TH? That's the six miles down to the Bob Bently TH off of Carefree Hwy.
    - Where is the farthest point north that can be accessed by a car? Looks like there is some parking around M46 near Mexican Gulch. What is the access to get there? Looks like the Bumble Bee TH can be reasonably accessed via car, but I'd like to get north of there to start.

We're looking at dropping a car at the southern terminus, and "shuttling" to the northern start. Just trying to plan, and appreciate the feedback from those that have done this (Monkeybutt, et al), or those in the know...

Thanks!!

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    :edit:
    Last edited by CoyoteKis; 04-11-2010 at 08:41 PM.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    walt, I would definitely make the Emery Henderson TH the end point of the monstercross ride. Nothing really good to ride mtb south of EH, just flat trail/jeep road to Carefree Hwy.
    EH has good parking area, restroom, and covered tables if I recall. The trail from Table Mesa to EH is good and almost all ST.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    South of Emery Henderson can be confusing and sandy in parts but you'll see plenty of wildlife, wild burros and owls... the trail ends with about 1.5 miles of dirt rod to carefree hwy. What you should do is take it south to the Maricopa trail at Daisy Mountain Rd and I-17 by taking a right at the dirt road that heads east to I-17 approx. 1 mile and head east thru Anthem and connect with either the Cave Creek Park or keep heading east to Spur Cross Ranch....That would be epic and would add another 15 miles maybe to cave Creek.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    - Where is the farthest point north that can be accessed by a car? Looks like there is some parking around M46 near Mexican Gulch. What is the access to get there? Looks like the Bumble Bee TH can be reasonably accessed via car, but I'd like to get north of there to start.

Walt
    The town of Bumble Bee (or the whole way to Crown King) is doable by car. So M46 or parking in Bumble Bee is OK. Mexican Gulch road is pretty tame by truck standards, but I wouldn't say "car" accessible... depending on how much you like your car or how well you drive. :-) 2wd truck is fine though.

At Spring Fling, I actually biked down Mexican Gulch road, then through Bumble Bee and back to the parking lot. I wanted to check out the abandoned mine you can see from BCT, so I took the truck and drove up Mexican Gulch Road... only to find that it is blocked a little bit beyond where the BCT crossed MGR (betw M47 and M48). Sigh. MGR isn't that nasty, but it is an uphill climb on a dirt road. So a couple of sections were loose and rutted, etc. So it's not like a car "couldn't" make it, but wouldn't be my first choice as a meeting spot.

FYI bombing down MGR to Bumble Bee is a quick way to get back home on the bike. If you want max BCT ride distance, you could park in BB and ride up MGR, then start the BCT at M47. But I'd just start at M46 and say good-enough.

-Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin_O; 04-11-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Occidental Tourist
    We did Bumblebee to Table Mesa on Sat and it was already almost too hot. Bring a water filter.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    We did Bumblebee to Table Mesa on Sat and it was already almost too hot. Bring a water filter.
    We did this on Sat too, three of us ran out of water about 1hr or more before the finish. Got steamy in the open areas. I'll be posting my ride report tonight. Yuri, were you the guys that gave us the gallon of water at the end?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Just another half mile...
    Walt, you definitely need to start at the farthest north end at Hidden Treasure Mine (HTM), which will be at M52 once I get my map updated. HTM is easily accessable by car just a few miles up the Bubble Bee Road from BB. The section starts out riding across a relatively flat section for a couple of miles, then climbs up a couple hundered feet then you wuill have a really fun three mile flowing decent down to BB. I went out and rode it on Sunday as an out an back, which is a great moderate ride, and I will be updating my map for that section in the next day of so. The BLM hs signed and installed route markers up all the way out to HTM, so it should be easy to find your way. It is still a little confusing at where the trail crosses over BB bridge and it is easy to ride by the signs off the road. So from HTM to EH, will be a huge ride, something like 46 miles. As other have said, take a water filter and plenty of food.

Here are few pics from our ride yesterday to give you a flavor of the northern segement:

More Pics HERE

Some of us are looking to do a "BCT Monstercross" in the next few weeks, before it gets too hot, and have some questions.

First of all, the "BCT Monstercross" is loosely defined as doing a point-to-point ride from one end to the other. It seems that going from north to south is the recommended, and most flowy, option.

Dale's (epicrider) latest maps for the BCT trail system are here:
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th....php?album=163

Some questions:
    - Assuming we ride north to south, which is generally "downhill" and flows much better, is it worth riding the section south of the Emery Henderson TH? That's the six miles down to the Bob Bently TH off of Carefree Hwy.

We're looking at dropping a car at the southern terminus, and "shuttling" to the northern start. Just trying to plan, and appreciate the feedback from those that have done this (Monkeybutt, et al), or those in the know...

Thanks!!

Walt
    Last edited by Epicrider; 04-12-2010 at 09:39 AM.

I am Walt
    Thanks guys...where did you both start?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    From the M41 parking area on the west side of bumble bee road. I am definitely looking into a filter now

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    We did this on Sat too, three of us ran out of water about 1hr or more before the finish. Got steamy in the open areas. I'll be posting my ride report tonight. Yuri, were you the guys that gave us the gallon of water at the end?
    Yup, that was us.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Occidental Tourist
    We started just south of the bridge that is just south of Bumblee. An extra 4 miles to where AZ dog and crew started I think. Pics
    Last edited by YuriB; 04-12-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Tucson, AZ
    I would leave cars at EH and get a ride over to Sunset Rest Stop, drop down to the BCT via the road (see Google aerial shots), do a quick out and back to Hidden Treasure before making your way back. Be prepared to be out there all day if you do BB to EH. It took us nearly 8 hours with bikepacking gear to get from EH to a little before Hidden Treasure (a quick stop at BCC Chevron). The longer option would be get someone to drive you from Cordes Junction to the Old Cordes and bomb down to Crown King Rd, then start at the end of BCT.

BTW, I am still hoping to finish my exploring up in the Bradshaws to make a one-day loop out of this ride.

mtbr member
    Yup, that was us.
    Much obliged
    Water never tasted so good.

Shred...it's the new drug
    dates depending, the burgandy braap braap (shuttle van) might be available to get you guys to the top. it holds 15 with 15 bikes in the trailer. post up if you all are interested.

wrecking crew
    Walt,

Start at the top where Dale mentions and end at EH. Plenty of parking there for the shuttle vehicle. Definitely bring a filter. Keep the crew small to keep the speed up.

When are you doing this monster of a ride? I think when Jeff, Gangi, Will did the BB road (Arrastre Creek) to EH is was over 35 miles and they hustled a pretty quick time even with Jeff's almost destroyed hub. Make sure you have food and water at your end point. You will be famished. BBQ pits at EH if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by su.ling~; 04-12-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    ~~~

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Much obliged
    Water never tasted so good.
    Indeed, thank you!

banned
    Yup, that was us.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

That water was so good. By far the longest ride I have taken on my single speed, but it was great.

Chad, the old jeep roads that drop off from Sunset Point cross over private property at Bumble Bee Ranch. Not recommended unless you ask permission first. Also, I would leave a car at the rest area. The rest area is not for long term parking and you could get a ticket and/or towed.

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    I would leave cars at EH and get a ride over to Sunset Rest Stop, drop down to the BCT via the road (see Google aerial shots), do a quick out and back to Hidden Treasure before making your way back. Be prepared to be out there all day if you do BB to EH. It took us nearly 8 hours with bikepacking gear to get from EH to a little before Hidden Treasure (a quick stop at BCC Chevron). The longer option would be get someone to drive you from Cordes Junction to the Old Cordes and bomb down to Crown King Rd, then start at the end of BCT.

BTW, I am still hoping to finish my exploring up in the Bradshaws to make a one-day loop out of this ride.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Chad, the old jeep roads that drop off from Sunset Point cross over private property at Bumble Bee Ranch. Not recommended unless you ask permission first. Also, I would leave a car at the rest area. The rest area is not for long term parking and you could get a ticket and/or towed.
    Ah thanks, Dale. I had a local Bumble Bee resident tell me that the road was okay. BTW, I saw some singletrack near Old Cordes when we did our bikepacking trip. Have they started that section of the BCT to Mayer yet?

Yep, work has started on the sections to the north of Hidden Treasure Mine. The volunteers have built a mile of trail south of SR 69 and hired crews have been building to the south of old Cordes. The hired crews are done for this building season and will be back next fall. Teh section from the old Cordes area down to HTM will be a tough sectin to build an dmay or may not get done next season. BLM has hired a contractor to build 13 miles of trail with mechanical equipimnet between old Cordes and the volunteer section. This should be complete sometime in May. Might be able to connect some of the new northern sections with road sections to get from HTM to SR 69.

Ah thanks, Dale. I had a local Bumble Bee resident tell me that the road was okay. BTW, I saw some singletrack near Old Cordes when we did our bikepacking trip. Have they started that section of the BCT to Mayer yet?

I am Walt
    Did this ride yesterday...ride report and pics later today.

What an EPIC!

I am Walt
    Here are some pics...words to follow at some point...

GPS info here:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31964011
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BCT Monstercross-p5010013.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010015.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010020.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010022.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010023.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010026.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010027.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010028.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010030.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010031.jpg  

Last edited by waltaz; 05-02-2010 at 11:06 PM.

I am Walt
    More pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BCT Monstercross-p5010034.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010035.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010036.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010037.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010042.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010043.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010044.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010045.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010048.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010049.jpg  

I am Walt
    What the hell...hope your connection is fast...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BCT Monstercross-p5010050.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010052.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010054.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010055.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010056.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010059.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010060.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010063.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010064.jpg  

BCT Monstercross-p5010066.jpg  

Shred...it's the new drug
    Sweet pics!!! Thanks for the virtual BCT montercross ride...all I'm missing is saddle sore, yellow pee and some rattlesnake bites Good stuff waltaz!!!

Losing Ground
    Nice ride. Good Job ToneBone! Thanks for the GPS info Walt; it's always interesting and helpful to see. Hope to see you guys at the Casner Mtn. DC. Who else was with you?

Tucson, AZ
    Now someone needs to ask, who is going to do the entire BCT to Crown King Rd/Treasure Mine and back in one day? That would really envelop the word "monstercross"

8 stream crossings, ~70 miles (I will get the exact amount from my GPX file tonight) with around ~12k of climbing.

We did it in two days as a bikepacking trip and did both sides of the Little Pan Loop (east side while heading north, west side while heading south).

Losing Ground
    Sounds like AES to me.

I am Walt
    Now someone needs to ask, who is going to do the entire BCT to Crown King Rd/Treasure Mine and back in one day? That would really envelop the word "monstercross"

8 stream crossings, ~70 miles (I will get the exact amount from my GPX file tonight) with around ~12k of climbing.
    ~70 miles...? If one was to start at the EH TH, and do an "out-and-back" to HTM, wouldn't that be around 94-95 miles (figuring around 47 miles each way)...?

sprocket
    ~70 miles...? If one was to start at the EH TH, and do an "out-and-back" to HTM, wouldn't that be around 94-95 miles (figuring around 47 miles each way)...?
    I'll do it.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    I'll do it.
    Yeah, I kinda want to do this, in some weird, twisted sort of way...

Also thought about doing the North -> South run as an all-nighter this summer...leave at like 8 or 9 pm, and ride all night. Or something like that...

Tucson, AZ
    I do not have the GPX file in front of me and was doing it from memory.

Wow! That is amazing. This is probably the second single greatest ride in all of Arizona.

Two days doing it was perfect though. One day would be sublime. Maybe we'll add it to the November schedule.

wrecking crew

Puss-puss tracks

That's a looong trek you are proposing...btw ~ did you happen to see our big kitty tracks Jeff posted up on FB? Ran into these last Friday on the route from the top of L. Pleasant up to Tip Top Mine.

...5"-6" tracks = big BIG kitty! Talk about nervous...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BCT Monstercross-pusstracks.jpg  

~~~

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    That's a looong trek you are proposing...btw ~ did you happen to see our big kitty tracks Jeff and I saw last Friday on the route from the top of L. Pleasant up to Tip Top Mine?

...5"-6" = big BIG kitty!
    *gulp*...

I am Walt
    I do not have the GPX file in front of me and was doing it from memory.

Wow! That is amazing. This is probably the second single greatest ride in all of Arizona.

Two days doing it was perfect though. One day would be sublime. Maybe we'll add it to the November schedule.
    In.

EH has good camping and picnic facilities, and restrooms, so a good place to stage/start/finish. Thinking something like a 4 am, or so, start on a Sat? Route would probably take 12-16 hours, depending on the rider...?

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Guipago
    Sounds like AES to me.
    It has crossed my mind several times. We already have a good number of races and one could argue that more "races" would just decrease the overall participation of AES races.

I already need to come up with some better names, most notably PMC and MMC.

mtbr member
    I have done the EH to BB road and back once this year and had a really good time... about a 70 mile ride with a lot of singletrack - If this was an AES race I would totally do it (no chance for me to spend a day lost in the desert!!!)

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I have done the EH to BB road and back once this year and had a really good time... about a 70 mile ride with a lot of singletrack - If this was an AES race I would totally do it (no chance for me to spend a day lost in the desert!!!)

Well shoot, it Tom is in, then we'll make it a race.

Losing Ground
    It has crossed my mind several times. We already have a good number of races and one could argue that more "races" would just decrease the overall participation of AES races.
    I don't know about that argument. You could also argue that it could lead more peolple to other events. I think it could draw a lot of interest depending on route and length.

This trail is going to become classic though. I have some ideas.

I already need to come up with some better names, most notably PMC and MMC.
    Ha, Ha. Just add Monstercross after everything.

wrecking crew
    Ha, Ha. Just add Monstercross after everything.
    Monstercross is sooo 90's. How 'bout adding "Tenderizer" to the end. After one of those darn races you basically end up with jello-y sewing machine knees...The Prescott Tenderizer. The Kaibab Grinder. McDowell Machinations.

Better yet...start a new thread for AES naming possiblities.
    ~~~

Tucson, AZ
    ...The Prescott Tenderizer. The Kaibab Grinder. McDowell Machinations.
    Those are good ones...reminds me of MBAA though.

Better yet...start a new thread for AES naming possiblities.
    Yeah, that would prolly not go very far. Have you seen the threads on the board recently?

Tucson, AZ
    This trail is going to become classic though. I have some ideas.
    Delegate...that is the new theme for AES. Aaron K., wanna get on board with a group of nutty riders?

Tucson, AZ
    Hmmm....wow, the whole enchilada is ~94 miles with 13,400 feet of climbing! Given the amount of singletrack, this could be a 14-15+ hour ride at least.

Disclaimer: this is with a quick out-n-back to the Chevron at BCC and starting from New River. It also includes both east/west of the Little Pan and the southern section.

That's a looong trek you are proposing...btw ~ did you happen to see our big kitty tracks Jeff posted up on FB? Ran into these last Friday on the route from the top of L. Pleasant up to Tip Top Mine.

...5"-6" tracks = big BIG kitty! Talk about nervous...

Hmmm.
    So Chad is proposing a ride that will likely involve darkness for mortals who attempt it - in the general vicinity of where those kitty tracks were found? And big kitties like to play with things that move at night - right? Make sure there is a waiver if this one ever comes together. Not sure my wife would be in for that.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    Hmmm.
    So Chad is proposing a ride that will likely involve darkness for mortals who attempt it - in the general vicinity of where those kitty tracks were found? And big kitties like to play with things that move at night - right? Make sure there is a waiver if this one ever comes together. Not sure my wife would be in for that.
    With all the gun totters out there, I find it hard to believe that this big cat will not be back up in the Bradshaws soon.

Good news though: Tip Top Mine is a mere 6 miles (as the crow flies) from the BCT.

Jeff, if I cannot convince you to do the route, nobody would. You and Nancy are the lifeblood of singlespeed enduro nuts in Phoenix.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 05-03-2010 at 07:20 PM.

With all the gun toters out there, I find it hard to believe that this big cat will not be back up in the Bradshaws soon.

Good news though: Tip Top Mine is a mere 6 miles (as the crow flies) from the BCT.

Jeff, if I cannot convince you to do the route, nobody would. You and Nancy are the lifeblood of singlespeed enduro nuts in Phoenix.
    Hmmm....wow, the whole enchilada is ~94 miles with 13,400 feet of climbing! Given the amount of singletrack, this could be a 14-15+ hour ride at least.
    Anyone who has done the EH to Little Pan section has to have seen the battlefield of shotgun and other shells out there. There is certainly sufficient firepower to send that kitty racing for the hills.

Nuts pretty much sums up this plan.
    However, some strategic water stashes, a stop at Rock Springs for pie and beer, and lots of ibuprofen - it just might work. It would have to be in early spring, late winter. Going to be too frickin' hot now.

I can't believe you have me contemplating this level of self-abuse.

Tucson, AZ
    Just wait until early October comes around and you start tinkering with the idea of riding 250 miles in northern Arizona.

AZT + Sedona + Mingus + Bill Williams + Sycamore Rim + Elden

I checked my moving time for our New River to Treasure Mine and back, it took about 14 hour of moving time, fully loaded with bikepacking gear (sleeping bag/pad, food, stove/fuel, etc.) That gives us hope in making this a bit shorter since we were moving pretty slowly going both ways.

I am Walt
    Nuts pretty much sums up this plan.
    However, some strategic water stashes, a stop at Rock Springs for pie and beer, and lots of ibuprofen - it just might work. It would have to be in early spring, late winter. Going to be too frickin' hot now.

You KNOW you want to do this...

Dude...you don't need to stash any water; get a filter or purifier. I drank 96 oz. of river water, that I purified with a SteriPen, without issue. Hell, it was better than Phoenix-area tap water...

Everyone would need to pack lights for probably both the start and finish.

And are you envisioning a Rock Springs stop on the return? Imagine that...about 72-74 miles in, after eating carb-laden trail food, Perpetuem and river water...then walking into that cafe for beer, a bacon-cheeseburger and pie...and THEN having to do that big-ass climb shortly thereafter. Talk about projectile vomiting...!

This is a cool idea...big dependency on the weather, though, and the amount of rain in the days/weeks preceding it.

Re a name...hmm...no idea; I'm a right-brain guy...

I am Walt
    I checked my moving time for our New River to Treasure Mine and back, it took about 14 hour of moving time, fully loaded with bikepacking gear (sleeping bag/pad, food, stove/fuel, etc.) That gives us hope in making this a bit shorter since we were moving pretty slowly going both ways.
    My moving time for 48+ miles (including an extra mile or so due to a missed turn) was 6:22, on my singlespeed. That is North -> South; it will be slower the other way.

mtbr member
    I checked my Garmin for the data from the route that I did a couple of months ago - from EH to BB road and back... it ended up 71 miles with 5:57 ride time - a race or AES event would be totally doable during daylight hours.

When I did the ride I just took 3 water bottles, and filled up at Rock Springs on the way out. If there was a water drop at table mesa road and rock springs it could be done without filtering any water.

Also, there are a few really good dirt roads/etc that can turn it into a really nice loop so you do not have much two way traffic on the trail... man this is sounding good... Chad - you interested? You mentioned delegating to someone... I may be up for it..

Tucson, AZ

Disclaimer: this is with a quick out-n-back to the Chevron at BCC and starting from New River. It also includes both east/west of the Little Pan and the southern section.

It has become official now...check out the details here on the AES website. It is around 60 miles right now, I am searching for a harder, longer option also for those wanting to ride 12+ hours.

Depending on weather and water crossings, this may become a February race in 2011.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It has become official now...check out the details here on the AES website. It is around 60 miles right now, I am searching for a harder, longer option also for those wanting to ride 12+ hours.

Depending on weather and water crossings, this may become a February race in 2011.
    You had me at "it".... can we just make sure it doesn't conflict with Old Pueblo because I may have a loss of judgement in October and register for something I am sure to regret.

I am Walt

Chad...some questions:
    - For the route on AES, after doing the LP Loop, are you then returning to the Bumble Bee starting point?
    - What about the sections south of LP Loop, primarily the next couple miles to the Table Mesa TH, then the ~10.5 mile section down to Emery Henderson? After the first couple miles, there is some nice singletrack in there.
    - Agree with Phil re the timing...can you set it two weeks prior to OP?

And I'd be up for the 12-hour option.

Thx bud...
    Ride more; post less...

Chad...some questions:
    - For the route on AES, after doing the LP Loop, are you then returning to the Bumble Bee starting point?
    - What about the sections south of LP Loop, primarily the next couple miles to the Table Mesa TH, then the ~10.5 mile section down to Emery Henderson? After the first couple miles, there is some nice singletrack in there.

Thx bud...
    I can answer one of those questions. The loop we are looking at right now starts at the BCC trailhead. It will take the road through Black Canyon City onto dirt road. We'll take that dirt road all the way out to then northern end of BCT at Hidden Treasure Mine. We'll then take the trail all the way back down to the BCC area and continue south to do the Little Pan loop and return to BCC. A pretty stout ride in my estimation.

We could add the extra section down to Emery Henderson, but that'd be just sick. So I expect Chad will want to do that.

Losing Ground
    The thinking is to have two versions of this. One in Nov. for around 60 mi.,(I guess we could always have a long and xtra long version down to Emery and back if that's your fancy) and one in Feb for I guess about as many miles you can do in 12+hrs (80-100?).

I have one route planned that would start somewhere outside Prescott (Groom Creek via FS rd to BCT) and end at EH trailhead. Approx. 85 mi one way. Or there could be a more single track involved route on the Walker side (not planned out yet) leading to the BCT. Either of these would require a shuttle or planned transportation. Would anyone be interested in that?

Tucson, AZ
    Chad...some questions:

Thx bud...
    Two weeks prior, done and done.

About the race. I did not want to have any out-n-backs on the route, hence the dirt road to Treasure Mine Rd, Little Pan Loop, then back to Black Canyon City TH. I would love to see a one-day ride take place from BCC to Crown King, down Milk Ranch and back to the BCT via the Cottonwoods. I have the route on GPX, just a few unknowns south of Crown King. The Bradshaws are the most underestimated area around Phoenix; we need to be riding there more. Methinks this ~100-mile route could be done in February in one day, the same day as we are offering the shorter 60-mile route. Two races, one 60 miles and the other 100 miles.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I am Walt
    Hmmm...imagine doing the North -> South route as a night ride...

It's almost 50 miles, and 7-8 hours on the trail...start at 8 pm...ride all night...?

Hmmmm...
    Ride more; post less...

parenting for gnarness

It's almost 50 miles, and 7-8 hours on the trail...start at 8 pm...ride all night...?

Hmmmm...
    you had me at "imagine".
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member

All Nighter

Hmmmm...
    Walt,
    I'd do it. For real. Battery life would be a bit of a *****.
    Steve

My other ride is your mom
    meh.......I like night riding as much as the next guy/gal in the summer....but part of the BCT that draws folks are the views....I could get the same experience by riding the Hawes loop for 5 laps at night....and get more climbing in too. I'd rather do this in cool weather during the daytime so I can enjoy the unique mountain views of the Bradshaw's.....

mtbr member
    I've been wanting to ride that whole section from top to bottom...If any of you guys are planning riding let me know...I can shuttle or whatever...Wanting to do this pretty soon...I dont care if it's hot...

Quote Originally Posted by kensellu
    I've been wanting to ride that whole section from top to bottom...If any of you guys are planning riding let me know...I can shuttle or whatever...Wanting to do this pretty soon...I dont care if it's hot...

.....you should

mtbr member

Views?

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    meh.......I like night riding as much as the next guy/gal in the summer....but part of the BCT that draws folks are the views....I could get the same experience by riding the Hawes loop for 5 laps at night....and get more climbing in too. I'd rather do this in cool weather during the daytime so I can enjoy the unique mountain views of the Bradshaw's.....

Maad,
    I ride it every weekend, the view is ok but I dig the trail. If I look at the view I'll wind up on my haircut.

Steve

Trail Monger
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    Maad,
    I ride it every weekend, the view is ok but I dig the trail. If I look at the view I'll wind up on my haircut.

Steve
    Alot of people biff tring to look at the views. There is just too much exposure to be sight-seeing! Brian

mtbr member
    I'm gonna...Thanks for your smartass input...

Trail Monger
    I'm gonna...Thanks for your smartass input...
    What's your problem? How is that "smart-ass"?

mtbr member
    No Problem...just trying to be funny...It wasn't directed to you so don't know why your getting butt-hurt

Trail Monger
    No Problem...just trying to be funny...It wasn't directed to you so don't know why your getting butt-hurt
    I can't really tell what you were tring to say. Most of the time hooey is what is coming out of peoples mouths. Why would this be any different?

mtbr member
    You've got a good point

my point is that you should care about it being hot....especially on the BCT and it's micro-climate....

Trail Monger
    Most def. I think that place is pretty much an oven. No shade except when the suns down. Be careful with water. Anyone checked out the north most parts yet?

banned
    Sep 2007
    I'd do 25 miles at night, North to South, and get to bed at a reasonable hour, barring no mechanicals. That would be an awesome ride for those that aren't quite up to Epic endurance condition like Walt. I think a MagicShine 900 would go the distance on one battery for a ride like that, plus no need to do a drop off for water.

Losing Ground
    I think batteried lights would be ok. Not that technical, not too fast. I reckon it'd be a pretty good looong night ride; better than laps IMO.

mtbr member
    my point is that you should care about it being hot....especially on the BCT and it's micro-climate....
    Yep, especially all the SHALE.

Ahhh the pain....
    Whenever you guys/gals plan on doing this, night or day, let me know...I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    Yep, especially all the SHALE.

Wow...

I am Walt
    Thinking maybe the next full moon, so in about four weeks or so.

I'd have an HID on my helmet, with two batteries for it, plus a Magicshine 900 on my bars, also with two batteries. I'd set the MS on "Medium" to augment the HID, and provide backup should the HID(s) fail. That should cover me for 8+ hours.

We will also need to purify/filter water at some point...last time, we did so at the second river crossing coming south, and that worked perfectly. I'll carry a camp headlamp for light during stops.

If you're considering this, make sure you have experience on the bike for long rides, and know how to manage your nutrition, hydration, and general sh*t...

RandyBoy's option is also good...start up north, and bail around Bumble Bee or Black Canyon City...make it half the distance and time...

Any thoughts/comments/questions welcomed...
    Ride more; post less...

banned
    Sep 2007
    Thinking maybe the next full moon, so in about four weeks or so.

I'd have an HID on my helmet, with two batteries for it, plus a Magicshine 900 on my bars, also with two batteries. I'd set the MS on "Medium" to augment the HID, and provide backup should the HID(s) fail. That should cover me for 8+ hours.

We will also need to purify/filter water at some point...last time, we did so at the second river crossing coming south, and that worked perfectly. I'll carry a camp headlamp for light during stops.

If you're considering this, make sure you have experience on the bike for long rides, and know how to manage your nutrition, hydration, and general sh*t...

RandyBoy's option is also good...start up north, and bail around Bumble Bee or Black Canyon City...make it half the distance and time...

Any thoughts/comments/questions welcomed...
    What would be the starting time of the ride? A Saturday night, Sunday early AM ride? BCT is one of my very favorite trails in AZ. Last time I did it was in late Feb, it was great fun in the day.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    What would be the starting time of the ride? A Saturday night, Sunday early AM ride? BCT is one of my very favorite trails in AZ. Last time I did it was in late Feb, it was great fun in the day.
    Thinking 8 pm...
    Ride more; post less...

banned
    Sep 2007
    Thinking 8 pm...
    Gotta get rid of this Whooping Cough virus I caught somehow, I think, in Prescott at the races. I was showing symptoms early Tuesday AM. Did the 24 hour endurance champ Taylor Lideen leave the race and quit with the same symptoms? Scratchy throat, headaches, light fever, dry unproductive cough that leaves you out of breath, barfing, dizziness?

I shared my Garden Salsa SunChips with Mary, his support team member. She was hungry that night, and that's the only contact I really had hands on with anyone with hand to mouth contact, the sun chips in the bag, that I shared with her. It''s had me inside, not riding, 5 days straight, coughing a lot... not good, very flu like symptoms, but in summer? Not riding for a week is bad, bad juju.

I can't figure out how I got this bug... has me stumped.

Eroding into the trail

Great Phtos

Thanks for all of the great photos to let those of us who have not ridden this area appreciate its potential as one of the better trails.

Trail Monger
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones
    Thanks for all of the great photos to let those of us who have not ridden this area appreciate its potential as one of the better trails.
    BCT is definitely one of the better trails in Phoenix. It is a real gem.

mtbr member

Wow?

Wow...
    Maad....your the geologist, not me.

mtbr member

night ride route

Walt,
    I think a "good solid" night ride would be from Bumble Bee trailhead w/ so's drop off then proceed to Table Mesa road. The pace throught the fast would obviously be slower at night, I would think that suggested route would preclude the need to either hide or filter water.?????

Members who have read this thread: 0