BCT: Little Pan Loop from BCC Trail head 4/17- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BCT: Little Pan Loop from BCC Trail head 4/17

Thats the plan. I'd like to ride this and Brilog has expressed some interest in joining me. I'll probably have a couple friends with me too but we've never ridden the trail system. I'd like to be to the trail head and on the bike by about 7am.

I'm not a very fast rider, nor am I an expert climber but I do alright. Anyone interested in meeting out there and showing us around would be welcome. i'll probably roll up in a silver Focus with my orange raleigh on the back.

i think its about a 22mile loop which I should be game for.

That's it. All are welcome to join us!

See ya out there!

Team Tortuga
    I took a friend out to the Little Pan Loop on Sunday and by 10:00am it was feeling rather toasty. Summer is coming! TG for the river crossings to cool you off! The trail was bursting with color and was in great shape. The river sections did get a facelift from the fall/spring rain but overall it was an excellent adventure!

I might join if I can get a hall pass for this!

Team Tortuga
    What are your thoughts for a possible BCC to Carefree shuttle ride? I think it is in the 20+ mile range as well.

mtbr member
    that could work too. I've never done a shuttle ride before, and really this would be the biggest ride i've ever been on. i think I'd like to keep the ride to less than 25 miles. lets see who else posts up in here.

maybe an earlier start time should be considered, especially since it was 92 out at PMP at 3 this last saturday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I might be able to make this one and I can show you guys around if ya want.

It is going to be hot, so the earlier start time the better I think.

Tiffany

mtbr member
    Would 6 be a better start time for this ride then?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrone.minton
    Would 6 be a better start time for this ride then?

6 or maybe 6:30 would be better I think. But some may not want to start that early!

Tiff

mtbr member
    one more way to weed out the hard core from the posers! (hahaha, I jest, i'm such a poser, i just hate the sun!)

Trail Monger
    It looks like I am expected to be somewhere on Sat. However I can cruise out Sunday. It would be cool to try the Northern sections of BCT. Anyone have any plans to ride BCT sun? Shuttle sounds like the way to go if distance is too great.

mtbr member
    I might be down for this too... I've been wanting to do BCT (but not alone).

mtbr member
    Brian, i'm going to stick with saturday, I feel like i'm going to need a day to recover from this ride!

Trail Monger
    A ride out to Little pan loop from Rock Springs TH should only be about 16mi. If you are going to go around lpl then add a couple mi. This should'nt be too hard(even if it is hot!) I am really bummed to miss the fun. Bring gummy worms!

mtbr member
    So, what is the verdict? Would people rather do a shuttle from carefree up to BCC or just do the loop?

Looks like my friends are going to bail so it'll just be me meeting up with whomever decides to go. I'm game for whatever.

mtbr member
    I might be in ... need to check the schedule with the wife and kids. Might be my last chance to ride BCT till the heat starts up. What time are you planning on meeting up? I would be coming out from Gilbert so I figure it will take me about 1 1/2 hours to drive up there.

mtbr member
    Cranky, I'm at the 101 and guadalupe so about the same drive time. I think ms. tiffany is right, 630 sounds like a good start time.

Need to decide if we want to loop or shuttle to decide where everyone is meeting.

Team Tortuga
    I can't make it on Saturday cause my lady has to cover a shift at work. I will be up for a Sunday haul if Brilog or anyone else is interested. tyrone you won't need a full day recovery after this, just a couple of beers and off to recovery land you will be!

And Tiffany is correct, a 6-6:30 start time is reccomended. We started at 6:30 last week and rode just the Lil Pan loop and by the time we got back to the car it was plenty warm.
    Last edited by crAZy Irish; 04-13-2010 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    hmm, maybe we should push it to sunday then if that works better for most people. I don't want to be out there by myself!

I know, I sound like i'm waffling, I would just like to meet some more riders and enjoy this, rather than being lost all day!

mtbr member
    Sunday would probably work better for me too.

Trail Monger
    Sunday looks best for everyone! Now we can decide if we want to shuttle from BumbleBee on down to Rock Springs TH - or - just ride from RS to LPL n back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If anyone is interested I'll be doing this ride on Saturday - at about 6:30ish. I'll be happy to show anyone around.

Team Tortuga
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog
    Sunday looks best for everyone! Now we can decide if we want to shuttle from BumbleBee on down to Rock Springs TH - or - just ride from RS to LPL n back.
    What's the mileage difference between the two? Looking at Epicrider's map it looks like to start from RS ride to the LPL TH and back is about 26 miles. If we were to shuttle (park one car at one end and drive another to the top, not hammer Gnar Gnar for my gravity friends) Bumblebee to RS it looks like only 13 miles. Does this sound right? I have never ridden north of RS.

mtbr member
    there was also mention of riding from RS down to Carefree highway and setting up a shuttle which was said to be a little over 20 miles also.

Team Tortuga
    Tyrone it looks like it may be your call since you are the OP.

Ride 1) RS to LPL and back - approx. 26 miles

Ride 2) BB to RS - approx. 13 miles one way, 26 miles roundtrip.

Ride 3) BB to LPL - approx 26 miles

Ride 4) RS to Carefree Hwy 29? miles , to Emery Henderson 23?

Any verification of these mileage guesses would be great! I am down for any one of these rides or any other modification of them.

mtbr member
    Lets go with the original plan for Ride 1) Rock Springs to Little Pan Loop. Then we don't have to deal with shuttling.

Meet at the BCC trail head at 630? I'm assuming the Rock Springs and Black Canyon City trail head are the same place.

mtbr member
    Alright guys. I'll be up at the Rock Springs trail head early sunday morning. Who all can we expect out there. My phone # is 480-229-2195 if you need to reach me! Cya there!

Trail Monger
    I'll be there with one other rider. What time for FIP?

Team Tortuga
    6:30am FIP

It's going to get hot quick!

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to skip, I have a 1 month old baby who's been a fussy butt for the last couple of nights. The prospect of getting up at 4:30 am to be on the road by 5 am to meet up with you guys at 6:30 am is not very compelling. BCT might have to wait till next fall for me (unless we get some kind of cold spell between now and then).

mtbr member
    what is FIP? Feet in pedals? looks like i'll have 2, maybe 3 coming with me, all o n 9ers. I got a new seat post, chain and rear tire today that i gotta get put on!

mtbr member
    Hey Irish, you still planning to join us? Brian and I will be out there between 6 and 630, leaving as soon as we know nobody else is showing up. Give me a call/text if you are going to join. 480-229-2195.

Team Tortuga
    I'll be there, see ya in the morning!

mtbr member
    Awesome ride today. Had six riders, Brilog and Crazy Irish from here and three of my friends. Weaponry included a Kona Dawg Primo, 2 HiFi pros, a Niner Rip9, my Raleigh Mojave, and Brians brown beast.

Ended up completing the Little pan Loop from the Rock Springs parking lot (24miles) in 6 hours. Left a little before 7 and got back at one.

We spent a lot of time playing around in the streams. I had a couple OTBs, one at the cattle gaurd by the parking lot (wasn't paying attention) and another dropping into the first river crossing ( I was in awe by the scenery and wasn't paying attention again, almost went down the cliff). ZERO mechanical failures other than a broke spoke at the very end of the ride.

I'm beat to hell but i had so much fun. This ride was everything I hoped it would be and nothing like what I thought it would be. I would also like to add that I dropped about 4 lbs today on this ride alone. so much closer to my goal of losing 60 lbs this year! On my way to sub-260 territory!!!

Pics and video will come later.

Team Tortuga
    Ty thanks for the awesome ride. I am completely beat! Even after all of the post ride fluids I managed to drop from 264.5 on Friday to 259.6 post ride. Thanks to Brian for making sure I got my arse out after the last river crossing. I did not want to get out of the water. GPS and pics to follow...

Team Tortuga
    Some pics from todays ride..........

Ty
    Ty

Joel
    Joel

Brothers 1

Brothers 2

Brian
    Brian

Brothers 3

Trail Monger
    Thanks TJ,
    great ride today! I am beat and feel pretty good. Great group and lets do some other riding. It is getting really hot. Little pan was an extra step but I am glad we got to see it. The river did feel pretty good. After ride refreshments were nice!

Team Tortuga

GPS info from today's ride.

Lil info from my GPS. Time does not reflect the group time as I started it early, opted to refresh in the river a little longer than the others, that on top of my stunning tortuga like speed today! Plenty of climbing today though!

Name:  GPS Info.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  52.9 KB

mtbr member
    here is Sahibs GPS data, there are some gaps and it doesn't go all the way through, water crossing may have friend it or something.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/30525174

I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Some of my pictures before I go too tired and was just slogging along in the 95* heat.

In the background you can see the trail climbing the mountain on the far side of the river.

I just went straight through this, then had to wait for the guys to take their shoes off.

climbing out the other side of the canyon

Tony and Tiffany from MTBR

Couple of my buddies (niner and HiFi)

Sunrise over Black Canyon Trail

Chris climbing on his Kona Dawg

more trail in the distance

some switchbacks

where's waldo? I think Brilog is in there somewhere.

still happy to be riding, so far!

munchin some noms!

NO MORE CLIMBING! But dude, we aren't even half way yet!

another river crossing

people were shooting in the river bed behind this cactus, we high tailed it outta there.

almost to half way!

after a little dip in the river before the long climb back to the car!

so ends my BCT adventure!! I'll be back in the fall when it cools down a bit! A camelback and 2 bottles was not enough water for this guy!

!@#$%&!
    Great pics. Look like a good time. I've only been on the BCT between CF Hwy and Table Mesa Rd. I'd like to see it where you guys were at sometime.

Members who have read this thread: 0