BCT - Copper Mt. Loop: Cattle tracks, catclaw, and cacti- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BCT - Copper Mt. Loop: Cattle tracks, catclaw, and cacti

What a sweet little bit of xc singletrack. Much more fun than the rest of the Russian Well section of the BCT. And the catclaw wasn't all that bad, but that will change when the growing season kicks in.

Rode south to north and the only "technical" spots were a few loose, steep, uphill switchbacks. But man what views! Especially from the traverse around the shoulder of Copper Mt. proper. Interesting geology, too. I suspect the trail builders utilized parts of an old mining road as the higher portions of trail twisted through what looked like copper mine railings.

This trail, while easy to follow, is in serious need of tires, though. I did some cc trimming but more is needed. Check it out.BCT - Copper Mt. Loop: Cattle tracks, catclaw, and cacti-img_20190324_110405.jpg

Yes, this is the trail.
    BCT - Copper Mt. Loop: Cattle tracks, catclaw, and cacti-img_20190324_110432.jpg
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    The Copper Mountain Loop was getting thick with catclaw late last year, based on your report it sounds like some trimming was done since I rode it in December.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    The Copper Mountain Loop was getting thick with catclaw late last year, based on your report it sounds like some trimming was done since I rode it in December.
    Seems so. Not all that bad, really. My arms and shins were less bloody than after a typical BCT ride.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    I did some trimming over thanksgiving, riding the loop CCW starting from Hwy69. Cut out the worst offenders on BCT and then a couple miles along Copper Mtn from the turnoff. There was plenty of catclaw after that spot but not as bad as I was expecting. It was mostly overgrown with non-pokey plants on the back and south sides of the loop.