Crazy

mtbr member
    ok so Im a weather geek.. 19,200 cfs at 920am

21,400 cfs at 940am

30,200 cfs at 10:10am

35,000 cfs at 10:15am

38,400 cfs at 10:30am

40,000 cfs at 10:45am
    Last edited by RajunCajun44; 08-19-2014 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    ok so Im a weather geek.. 19,200 cfs at 920am

21,400 cfs at 940am

very surprised the gauge isn't being swept away...
    The gage can handle way more than that. The folks that install them and monitor them are pretty serious about their gages not being washed away

59,500 cfs in 1980 is the the max in the historical gaging record but an event in 2010 came close to that. I'm not sure how they calculated it but the historic peak is thought to be 85,000. USGS Surface Water for Arizona: Peak Streamflow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The gage can handle way more than that. The folks that install them and monitor them are pretty serious about their gages not being washed away

59,500 cfs in 1980 is the the max in the historical gaging record but an event in 2010 came close to that. I'm not sure how they calculated it but the historic peak is thought to be 85,000. USGS Surface Water for Arizona: Peak Streamflow
    Yeah I just noticed that... and fixed my post.. I had to go way back on the record to see that high value..

Meatbomb
    4" of rain in a hurry will flow a lot of water.

Give it a crank
    That still doesn't take us out of this drought.

mtbr member
    Yeah I just noticed that... and fixed my post.. I had to go way back on the record to see that high value..
    The high value is probably back-calculated using high water marks or other evidence. I don't think there was a gage there. But since I am a weather as well as streamflow geek I will ask around.

How much further ???
    Last edited by Douger-1; 08-21-2014 at 05:50 AM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    That still doesn't take us out of this drought.
    Of course it doesnt. Nothing can. How can we keep the peasants under our control if we don't use fear. It could rain for 40 days and 40 nights, causing more erosion that a hundred million mountain bikers skidding down the same trail at the same time, resulting in too much under brush growth causing a future horrible fire season, and we would still be in a drought, because the underground aquifer is still not full. And it didnt rain at my house.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Brian,
    Any pics?? That has to be impressive!! I'm sure you've seen this, but in case others haven't:

Rain gauges for Maricopa County, 24hr interval.

FCDMC ALERT Google Data Display Map
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Brian,
    Any pics?? That has to be impressive!! I'm sure you've seen this, but in case others haven't:

Rain gauges for Maricopa County, 24hr interval.

FCDMC ALERT Google Data Display Map
    Thanks for that website. I may have seen it in the past, but I forgot about it or maybe I have never been there

I wish I could leave work and take some photos. I may go out there after work and ride down from Rock Springs... I 17 nothbound at dixileta is back open now.. it was closed due to flooding..

mtbr member
    Last winter, CSTEM and I rode down to the first crossing going south from Rock Springs. I tried to cross, kinda in the normal spot. I went in to my shoulders. We re-grouped and found a waist deep upstream a bit.

Tony A and I rode it Sunday. The damage to the trail was pretty impressive. Very, very rocky from the topsoil washing out, in many places. I have seen BCT hold up to a pretty good pounding of these storms. This summers monsoons have been much more aggressive that what the trail has seen in recent years.

If you look across the river at that first crossing, you can see trees and debris up on the cliff 30-40 feet. THAT must be impressive. Natures fury.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    sprinkles out in the east valley... last we heard, FEMA will be out in the area tomorrow with a package of tampons to get things cleaned up

I am Walt
    The event from 2010 that was referenced occurred in January. I recall riding BCT the week before that, then came back the week after that flood, and it was utterly epic. All of the crossings and trail sections connecting to/from each were completely destroyed...just gone...for 100-200 YARDS on each side. Unrecognizable. I recall that first crossing was pretty much impossible to figure out...not where it was, just how to get across. The far side was a jumbled mass of trees, branches, boulders, mud, etc, etc, about 20-30 feet high. I remember carefully trying to pick my way up, over and across that. And the sides of the crossings/canyons were scrubbed WAY up. The effects from that flood have remained to this day, and it will be interesting to see how this latest flood has affected things.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I heard on the radio today, new record for flow in the Agua Fria, 59K something. Might go have a peek at it tomorrow.

Walt, I remember standing on the East side of the river, looking across in disbelief at that. It was a HUGE piles of debris, not having a clue of where to go to get to the trail.

I bet Antelope Canyon will need a complete makeover.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the media is wrong on the new record flow. They also reported 14" of rain in Black Canyon City. That's not physically possible.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    I heard on the radio today, new record for flow in the Agua Fria, 59K something. Might go have a peek at it tomorrow.

Walt, I remember standing on the East side of the river, looking across in disbelief at that. It was a HUGE piles of debris, not having a clue of where to go to get to the trail.

I bet Antelope Canyon will need a complete makeover.
    Wow, re the flow from today's storm...take some pics if you go...

And same thing I remember, when I first saw that...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I'm also a flood/weather geek. I was watching the Agua Fria flows today from work but the highest I saw was 28,100cfs. I have rowed a raft through Lava Falls in the Grand Canyon at 45,000 cfs, 59,000 in the AF is unimaginable. I'm a little bummed that it must have washed out the giant carp living in the deep pool upstream of RS. I had been planning to do a little carp "fishing" with my bow and arrow there. These desert rivers have been flooding big time for eons and the floods are actually good for native fish and vegetation that are well adapted to these big disturbances. Not so good for the exotic carp.

I made it down to see the Verde River flowing 125,000 cfs back in 1993. Crazy! I canoed the Verde after that 125K cfs flood when it was down to 3700 cfs and it was wonderful. No trees or strainers just beautiful sand beaches and clean cobble bars. There wasn't a stick of vegetation for 50' above the river. Now it is a jungle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09512800 AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR ROCK SPRINGS, AZ

The crest was 40,000 cfs and just short of 25 feet. Flow stayed above 30,000 for 1.5 hrs.. Banging.

mtbr member
    maybe I win the nerd award.... maybe not...

but I am taking some time off work today to go out there and take some photos... Ill get back to you all today or tomorrow with hopefully some (after) photos..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heychubby View Post
    USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09512800 AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR ROCK SPRINGS, AZ

The crest was 40,000 cfs and just short of 25 feet. Flow stayed above 30,000 for 1.5 hrs.. Banging.
    yes, a 50 yr/100 yr event type flood for sure. What is more unusual is that it occurred in the summer. Most of the big ones are winter storms in El Nino years. Rain on snow type stuff. Salt hit 200,000 cfs in 1993.

I am Walt
    maybe I win the nerd award.... maybe not...

but I am taking some time off work today to go out there and take some photos... Ill get back to you all today or tomorrow with hopefully some (after) photos..
    Cool...you rock! Can't wait to see 'em!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Here's a thread from the Jan, 2010, event, including some pics:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/raging-river-587509.html
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks for the link Walt, it's so hard to fathom sometimes when you're used to simply hopping over some of those crossings. I'll have to scan a couple of old pics I have from '93, I was on my way back to the dorms from the airport & witnessed a section of the Mill Ave bridge collapse during construction. The Salt River flexed its muscle that day.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    photos...

trail is in excellent condition considering. I only rode from Rock Springs down to just above the river.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1086.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1087.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1088.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1089.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1090.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1091.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1092.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1093.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1096.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1098.jpg  

BCT agua fria, rock springs-100_1099.jpg  

mtbr member
    if you want my opinion...

I am really amazed how little damage there was in Black Canyon City considering how much rain that area upstream got... Even New River looked fine.. There were many domiciles close to the "New River" that were untouched.... I honestly think that house we saw on TV was the only house in New River that was affected..

What's really funny is how the news media is making such a big deal of it.. I mean even the national media is paying attention to it...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recon and posting the pics. You went North? did you ride to the South crossing as well?

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    Thanks for the recon and posting the pics. You went North? did you ride to the South crossing as well?

Steve
    I did not. I actually hate that crossing and when I crossed it last month it was way too over-grown....

I can only assume it's a mess there... it was pretty hot when I rode today and I just was too lazy to go down there