Barn Burner Experience- Mtbr.com
    Always a good day to ride

Barn Burner Experience

This BB has been one of my favorite events of the year. This year's was a totally different experience for me and my team. The grassroots, fun feel of the event seems to be replaced with the whole Leadville Race Series thing. LifeTime Fitness has taken the soul away from this event in my opinion. I think it is great for those that are trying to qualify for Leadville, but it lost it's flair for the rest of us. Moving up the event to this time of year and the VERY windy-dry-dusty conditions did not help either. That first lap in the dust cloud was insane! I could not see 10 feet in front of me for most of the lap. I am still coughing up some very interesting stuff from the weekend.

How was your experience?

It ain't easy being Green
    I agree about the weather conditions but (no offense) I think you're just getting your panties in a bunch about Lifetime Fitness "ruining" the race. If you picked up your buckle, packed up and went home before the awards ceremony you would notice almost no difference to last year in terms of organization. It looks like every man and his dog from four states turned up for this race because of the "Leadville" thing and that's fine with me, even though I got severely relegated in the results table compared to last year!

One difference I noticed this time was that guys weren't as cool as previous years; there was a ton of trash on the course and at the site after people left; how f***ing hard is it to put your $h1t in a trashbag and take it with you?

Overall it was a great day; tough conditions brought out the best in most racers and I made some new friends on solo alley.

I was in Flag for a few days before the race and took the opportunity to ride some of the singletrack on Elden; you local guys are lucky bastards! Upper Oldham was a hoot and I know there's bunch of other stuff other out there too that I didn't find. Kudos to you guys for looking after your trails so well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bik_ryder View Post
    This BB has been one of my favorite events of the year. This year's was a totally different experience for me and my team. The grassroots, fun feel of the event seems to be replaced with the whole Leadville Race Series thing. LifeTime Fitness has taken the soul away from this event in my opinion. I think it is great for those that are trying to qualify for Leadville, but it lost it's flair for the rest of us. Moving up the event to this time of year and the VERY windy-dry-dusty conditions did not help either. That first lap in the dust cloud was insane! I could not see 10 feet in front of me for most of the lap. I am still coughing up some very interesting stuff from the weekend.

How was your experience?
    I definately think the carrot of the Leadville entry brought out the competitive side of many. To be honest, that aspect of the race didn't really bother me. I was shocked at how fast many of the soloist went out, and I'm sure it had a lot to do with Leadville. But the more and more I thought about the event, yea, it did get a bit "drink the kool-aid"-e. I've done a few Red Rock events, and while I enjoy them, I personally think they have a long way to go before getting into Epic Ride's category. From the racer meeting Friday night, it really didn't they were all together there. But I'm sure putting on such a large event, with so much as stake (joining the Lifetime Fitness family, Leadville qualifer, etc.), it not easy.

This was my second year doing it. I tried doing it solo last year, and got three laps in before "quitting" as Ken (I think it was Ken) put it during the racer meeting. (Yea, my soul was crushed after he made such a bit deal about finishing.) I rode on a 4-person team this year, and to be honest I think I was in worse shape after one lap this year that three last year. I was still having a hard time breathing as of last night. I did the second lap, and the dust was still terrible.

But that said, I did have a fun time and really enjoyed the race and spending the weekend with other cyclists.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Need more cowbell
    Seemed like the same event to me....except that my time sucked this year.

mtbr member
    This was my 3rd year doing the event and it was fairly different from the last 2. Most of it was out of race organizer control; mainly the dust and ban on campfires.

I do feel that the Leadville/Lifetime advertisement was a bit over the top. I was pretty surprised that the vendor area only consisted of Leadville and Barn Burner merch. Outside of Bigfoot and 4 Peaks, were there other vendors present that I just missed?

A plethora of pinatas
    It was my 3 year out there too and it was a lot different to me as well. Still had a great time in spite of the corporate thing, my poor riding abilities and the conditions. I think Aug/Sept would be a much better time of year to put on this event, but that would not fit well into the Leadville Qualifier stuff.

Congrats to everyone that competed and BIG CONGRATS to those who qualified for Leadville! Also, Big PROPS to Mrs. Casual Observer who competed in her 1st event and through down an awesome lap time!!

BTW - Any one see the results and lap times posted anywhere? I only see the link to the LQS Barn Burner 2012 results webzine posted on Red Rock Co's site.
    Marty

Master Gardener
    Bumping the date up to accommodate the demands of being a Leadville Qualifier is why it was so dusty. If I were promoting that race, I'd want people to come out because the event was fun... not just to qualify for Leadville. If they don't change it back, fewer people who want to have fun will show up, and the field will be comprised primarily of people trying to qualify for LT100, which is kind of sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1 View Post
    Bumping the date up to accommodate the demands of being a Leadville Qualifier is why it was so dusty. If I were promoting that race, I'd want people to come out because the event was fun... not just to qualify for Leadville. If they don't change it back, fewer people who want to have fun will show up, and the field will be comprised primarily of people trying to qualify for LT100, which is kind of sad.
    Wonder why they couldn't treat it as a qualfier for *next* year's Leadville? I would imagine that to actually prepare for Leadville, you'd need more than a couple months to get ready anyways.

mtbr member
    My 2 cents

Very different feel from the previous 2 years, despite well intended efforts from the race organizers in an attempt to keep that "local race" atmosphere. It was apparent that the "Leadville brand" was more important than the Barn Burner event. They definitely over did the name dropping of "Leadville", "Lifetime" and the Leadville winner that lead the pre-ride (even with the repeated name dropping, still don't remember his name).

The trash around the camp area and especially on the trail was very disappointing. The wind and traffic driven dust was horrible. Understanding that this is outside of the event organizers control, it is most likely would be less of an issue in August or September.

As much as they hyped the USA Cycling rules and enforcement it was sad to see racers standing next to their bikes at the start to avoid the run and the A-holes clogging up the transition area rather than waiting on the side with everyone else. Would like to have seen some public DQ's prior to the awards.

On a positive note, it is a good thing to have a Leadville series qualifier in Arizona and I do believe the promoters made a good effort to keep as much of that local event feel as possible. That means nothing to me personally as I don't intend on attempting Leadville, but overall a good thing to be a part of.

I do agree with CO (almost chocked on those words that Epic Rides events are more to my liking.

All said, I had a good time racing, met many new friends, drank a lot of free beer (thanks Four Peaks) and wasn't overly annoyed by the corporate feel to the event. Maybe a staggered start is in order given the large number of competitors?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    It was my 3 year out there too and it was a lot different to me as well. Still had a great time in spite of the corporate thing, my poor riding abilities and the conditions. I think Aug/Sept would be a much better time of year to put on this event, but that would not fit well into the Leadville Qualifier stuff.

Congrats to everyone that competed and BIG CONGRATS to those who qualified for Leadville! Also, Big PROPS to Mrs. Casual Observer who competed in her 1st event and through down an awesome lap time!!

BTW - Any one see the results and lap times posted anywhere? I only see the link to the LQS Barn Burner 2012 results webzine posted on Red Rock Co's site.
    I think she slept with her buckle last night!

That's the only place I could find results as well.

Always a good day to ride
    I love having this event in my backyard and it is great that it brings so many people to Flag for the local business.

But if the event stays the way it was this year, it is off my list of to dos for 2013.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Regarding the dust and when to hold the race, some historical perspective:

2009 - Held the first weekend of June. I remember sitting in my car at 0630, it was raining but stopped by the 0700 start. The trail was mud for the first 10 miles but then an asphalt hard line set up and it was very fast. No dust.

2010 - Scheduled for the first weekend of June, but was cancelled on the Thursday before race Saturday because of forest fires. I was sweating the AZ fire reports this year. It was amazingly depressing to train up for a 100-miler and have no where to go The race was then run in mid-September and it was a dusty mess just like last weekend. No rain, the monsoons had already ended.

2011 - Held at the end of August, and it actually rained in northern Arizona during the peak of monsoon season. Who would have guessed? A total mess for those of us still on the course 10 hours in.

2012 - Back to the first week of June. A dusty mess and a bit warm for me...

As far as Lifetime's increased presence, I spent my whole day on my bike in the woods, and had a great time Whatever it takes to keep the event going. Maybe a little earlier would be good, 2-3 weeks after the Whiskey 50, so it could still be a LT qualifier?

Speed996
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    Seemed like the same event to me....except that my time sucked this year.
    What with all that road riding you've been doing?

Kudos to all you that are willing to spend the $$ to ride dirt road. Last year was enough for me... just not diggin the couse. I think Red Rock puts on good events (i.e. 12 hours of Papago), in my opinion it is the people that show up that make it great. And most mountain bikers are pretty darn fun.

livin' the dream......
    3rd year doing this and I had a good time. I arrived Friday night much later then I planned due to ADOT paving the shoulder just past the Sedona exit and having us down to one lane. There were overheated vehicles off on the sides and it took an hour to go 5 miles.

I arrived slightly bent about the delay and was trying to set up before dark. I could hear the pre race meeting over the speakers and felt like I was listening to an infomercial for Lifetime Fitness, but was not bothered by it.

I did 4 man team again this year and went first this time. It was kind of fun doing the le mans start, I was just patient and safe getting to my bike and out on course. Like others mentioned, the dust was unreal and it was tough to see where you were putting your wheel at times.

Even on the 1 st lap there were quite a few water bottles lost or tossed and a bit of trash, I heard from others it was pretty bad later on.

Overall, I had fun like the last two years and don't feel the race lost anything by being a Leadville qualifying race. I met some great people and enjoyed some 4peaks in the process!

mtbr member

Barn Burner 104

1st year out there for me. Conditions were tougher than i thought. Great training for Leadville. NO way would i push myself that hard on my own.

I thought there was a pretty good mix of serious riders looking to qualify and casual riders doing the team thing. Lifetime maybe was a bit over the top with their presence.

The wind and dust was nasty for sure, made life tough, A water truck al least on the road out and around the camp would have made a big diference. BY lap four there were so many full bottles, a lot of them still in cages on the course. Rather hazardous, but hey, its racing. Roadie style couse?? uh , no, i dont think so.

The SAG was lacking IMO. A few big belly dudes w/ water and a radio??? Come on Lifetime, you cheaped out. Ken says "no crybabies" but really, its a 104 friggin miles, how about a slice of orange or bananna at mile 13ish?

Overall it was quite an adventure. On the way home we all said we would never go back to that dustbowl, but.................................

K3N
    Certified slacker
    3rd year solo for me. I don't think Flagg got a drop of rain since the BB last year. I heard from the pre-riders that it was gonna be dusty, but man! I had no idea it was gonna be anything like that. Lotsa fast riders out there, major props to everybody who stuck it out and finished.

I also think Red Rock needs to step up their quality control checks on the buckles. The 1 on mine has no red!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by K3N; 06-05-2012 at 12:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Folks concerned about their lap times now concerned that OTHER folks even MORE concerned about their lap times will ruin the race... Folks also concerned about how dusty the air around the dusty course was....forgetting that they themselves caused the dustiness by participating in the event. Stupid nature. Very surprised that things get dusty in Arizona sometimes.

Maybe the event could give off a more folksy home-grown vibe by somehow getting STRAVA involved?

Note: I am fat, lazy, and don't race.

mtbr member
    Pretty snarky Chem- but you are at least pretty right for a non racer.

I did not do this race (still making my comeback ala Rocky 17) but its on for next year I think, but I have personally been a promoter, worked with many of them and have a fair idea of what goes down-so please bear with me:

But really kids: Have you seen the news lately? Its dry as hell up there due to no rain all year pretty much. Also very little snow in that area. So take it as a lesson in RACE CRAFT- check course conditions before going so you can be prepared mentally if not physically.

Too much sponsorship?- It's a race. Races cost money to put on. LOTS OF MONEY for things like porta potties, land permits, prizes, and hopefully, a little profit to sock away for promoting NEW races and courses. We all want more, bigger, exciting events and venues right? Those cost money when spending time traveling/sighting/planning/coercing rangers & town officials, creating signage, advertising, buying permits.. etc-just to PLAN a new race which will most likely lose money in its first two years, and that's if it ever becomes a race.

The buckle- a bummer with no paint I agree. You worked very hard for that buckle and it should be right, and I really mean that. Bet the promoter agrees too. Have you talked to them about it yet? Are they able to do anything about it? If they can't, well it is a buckle, does your admirable accomplishment mean any less to you?

We are a pretty fortunate lot to have complaining about having a good time as one of our biggest problems don't you think? I am in no way related to the promoters of this event, and have never worked with or for them so maybe I am off base and they really are terrible people out to rip off great people. And I am sure they made some mistakes truly worth complaining about, but I haven't seen one yet in this thread.

Surely when we spend our own hard earned duckets we expect to get full value. But when you are buying an experience that is made by humans working in concert with mother nature (and the guvment) to put on an event for a lot of other fundamentally diverse beings such as humans with disposable income, warts will occur. Honestly, the true way to judge a race or any service is how those warts occur and are treated.

BTW- this rant started by my white trash neighbors and their car alarm going of at zero-dark thirty this morning and waking me and my kids up. I didn't get too mad, just called a tow truck
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Registered Bike Offender
    I raced it last year, and this has got to be the lamest race course ever. Not sure why it is so popular and some people's favorite race. I guess the atmosphere makes it fun, but definitely not the course. The course is what makes a race for me. I like to be challenged. I can go camping with my buddies any weekend. It was pretty dusty last year until the massive thunderstorm rolled in and turned the final 1mile stretch into a running river. Pretty freaky having lighting directly above your head every 10seconds for an hour. I was just waiting for one strike to come down and someone to get zapped. I think I would take the dust over that any day. I will probably never do this event again just because of the course.
    "Grab life by the bars"

Ahhh the pain....
    I've never done BB, nor Whiskey, but have done a bunch of the AES races over the last few years. I certainly understand those folks that do them for the "race experience". Me personally put far more importance on racing a good singletrack course, over long distances against some good competition then sharing stories after the fact....all for free. If that interests you, come out and join us for the AES races...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ride bikes= check, drink beer=check, make friends=check, have fun=check. Some are windy, some dusty, some muddy, some snowy, some perfect, its racing. Looks like a success to me. Sunday Cycles MTB team por vida!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunda...p/186569860165

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It was my second Barnburner, first time solo. I had a great time and plan on doing it in the future, but it baffles me the organizers didn't have a couple water trucks in camp. We racers should have known we were in for a dusty mess out on the course, but knocking the dust down in camp for kids, families, supporters, etc should have been a no-brainer. It was a big miss for RedRockCo.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjohnny View Post
    BY lap four there were so many full bottles, a lot of them still in cages on the course. Rather hazardous, but hey, its racing.
    I don't get this.. why would people stop and unscrew the cage? I must be missing something.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree with the water trucks. Maybe water that final stretch of road to the venue and the camping area on Thursday. The dusty course I don't mind, but my family was miserable at the venue. They watched me finish a lap and said "screw this, we're outta here." This is unfortunate, because the kids loved the venue in years past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I don't get this.. why would people stop and unscrew the cage? I must be missing something.
    the course was so rough it shook loose bottles out and rattled loose bolts out of cages

K3N
    Certified slacker
    That buckle i got is the one I got. I earned it. That very one they handed me at the finish. I never had any intention to complain about it and make them give me a new one. I'm not upset at all. I just thought it was interesting and I'd share with all you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    That buckle i got is the one I got. I earned it. That very one they handed me at the finish. I never had any intention to complain about it and make them give me a new one. I'm not upset at all. I just thought it was interesting and I'd share with all you.
    hey K3N- I wasn't calling you out, sorry if it sounded that way. Just hoping you at least shared that with the promoter. They can't fix it/prevent it from happening again if they do not know.

In fact I apologize to anyone who felt offended or singled out by my post. If there are issues one had with a race, one really needs to let the promoter know through email or a phone call, or even at the event. One cannot assume the promoter reads every forum and if they don't know, they don't improve.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Wonder why they couldn't treat it as a qualfier for *next* year's Leadville? I would imagine that to actually prepare for Leadville, you'd need more than a couple months to get ready anyways.
    It's good for the 2012 OR 2013 Leadville. You've seen the winning times for solo, right? One can't pull those top 15 times out of their a$$e$.

I do agree with some that the race is losing its party quality the night before. Hell, I remember when 24 of OPueblo used to hopping the night before the race. Drunk people wandering, lights on everywhere...it was epic (no pun intended). Now, it's a very serious race and not nearly as much of a party like it used to be.

Hell, we're lucky to have races like these in AZ. C'mon, a Leadville qualifier in AZ, it's sweet! Now one doesn't have to play a lottery for Leadville.

Master Gardener
    Most races/events go through that same evolution. Grassroots and small is a blast, but it's the rare promoter who doesn't want their business venture to grow. So it gets bigger, more money is involved, money lends a certain vibe and attaches strings to things, and they change.

But when it comes to races, just as one event gets too big for its britches, up sprouts a fresh new one. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open.

mtbr member
    Most races/events go through that same evolution. Grassroots and small is a blast, but it's the rare promoter who doesn't want their business venture to grow. So it gets bigger, more money is involved, money lends a certain vibe and attaches strings to things, and they change.

But when it comes to races, just as one event gets too big for its britches, up sprouts a fresh new one. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open.
    Great point- this race out-growning itself as some would see it just means the promoters have done a pretty damn good job in the past. One thing all sucessful promoters know is that as much as they would love too, you can't please everyone. Which in itself is good, means there is plenty of diversity left in this sport and as you aluded-it opens the door for other promoters to be sucessful.

I remember 20 years ago- there were a lot of races and events in AZ (relatively speaking in ratio to the number of participants) and 10 years ago there were about 12 including all the MBAA events. As I am getting back into MTB competition, I am stoked to have far too many choices and actually having to pick and choose which runs I CAN go to vs. just what I want to go to.

Speed996
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjohnny View Post
    The SAG was lacking IMO. A few big belly dudes w/ water and a radio??? Come on Lifetime, you cheaped out. Ken says "no crybabies" but really, its a 104 friggin miles, how about a slice of orange or bananna at mile 13ish?

Last year they at least had PowerBar type gels and some other stuff at aide station around mile 12/13... Lifetime IS super cheap with the swag, last year I did a qualifier in Crested Butte, and very lame for the $150 they charged... that was before I realized I just couldn't stomach dirt roads and lost any desire I had to ride the Leadville 100.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by speed996 View Post
    What with all that road riding you've been doing?
    Too many races lately....been getting slower since Pueblo...need a break. Probably base until Tour of the White mountains.

All true.

For anyone who wants to break out of their comfort zone of paying lots of money for highly organized races with well marked courses, food tables, swag, podiums and the like there is an alternative. The Arizona Endurance Series is true grass roots since it does not have an entry fee and limits the number of participants. It will never grow "too big for its britches". The folks participating are always super cool and the post ride "chill sessions" are great.

Yes, the miles tend toward "lots" and it can seem pretty intimidating. I was quite nervous doing my first one of these - but ended up having a great time. And, yes, it isn't for everyone. You gotta be able to take care of yourself and your bike. And you need a GPS + common sense. Yeah, this is way different from your standard race - but, for some, it is way more rewarding.

I get no real benefit out of telling people about the series except for the pleasure of seeing someone try something new and loving it - like I did a few years ago.

--Jeff

mtbr member

Not to sound like a broken record, but I'll use Epic as an example. While they surely have grown in terms of number of participants, and I'm sure as a company. They still have that "grassroots" vibe. I think it boils down to the that one figure head.

I'm not sure who at RedRocks I could consider that person we are cyclists can identify. I think part of that has to do with me not doing many of their races, and part has to do with how many different events they do: mt bike races, running races, tris, etc. The Lifetime Fitness thing is probably a good fit for them. I don't think that would work for Epic Rides.

I am Walt
    Like maybe this one:
    Bear Jaw Groove 12 Hour Mountain Bike Race | The Flagstaff Nordic Center
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Funny how the Barn Burner experiences are being decided by people that were not there.

My second year doing the race. I now its all fire road, I know its not cool singletrack like the AES rides, but its a still a big endurance challenge and definitely a tough century on the singlespeed. You have to spin like crazy all out at top speed for most of the course and then settle for two fairly tough climbs. The spinng quickly tires you out and where the hills are usually the gain for the SS rider, become a slug match with everyone else.

Wee bit different than last year, the Lifetime/Leadville thing has changed it. The pre-race meeting became a rally for Leadville rather than hyping the BarnBurner.

My time was almost identical to last year, but the dust and some nutrition gambles hurt me on the second and first part of the third lap.

Everyone was awesome on the course and apart from the dust will probably be back next year to hopefully crush my time(s)!

Check out the Fire on the Rim for this race September as well. $50 for reg, free camping, and a $5 dinner and $3 breakfast, SS masters division so I dont have to deal with all the young fast boys and walking distance to a brew pub. Im in.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    That one's on the short list. Unfortunately, it seems absurdly expensive. But it sure looks cool.

livin' the dream......
    Anyone recall where the photos were being posted?

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Anyone recall where the photos were being posted?
    TR-IAG Photography, LLC

livin' the dream......
    thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritMtnBiker View Post
    its a still a big endurance challenge and definitely a tough century on the singlespeed. You have to spin like crazy all out at top speed for most of the course and then settle for two fairly tough climbs. The spinng quickly tires you out and where the hills are usually the gain for the SS rider, become a slug match with everyone else.
    I'm glad it was not only me. I loved the flats (outside of being passed by everybody and their brother who had a big gear). But my legs were so damn used to the constant spinning that when I got to the hills, they were crying. One lap was enough for me this year. Kudos to those who did 2 or more.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    We had a fun time.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/nevada/nv-fot...st9391665.html

The dust on the course was part of the course, but camping/eating/sleeping/sitting in it for 72hrs...THAT was a nightmare...never again We will hotel-it for sure next time.

Matt
    I should be out riding....

meow
    Let's switch this up. Who saw the donkey?

livin' the dream......
    I think I saw a donkey my first year, maybe it was last year. Donkey was a no show for me this year.

It ain't easy being Green
    No donkey for me this year; last year I couldn't get rid of the damn thing! Last lap, in the rollies just before the final big downhill it trotted out of the trees and ran along next to my bike for about half a mile; I was only able to lose it when I picked up speed on the downhill. It was kinda cute, just a little thing about elbow height on me.

Was he back this year?

Members who have read this thread: 0