Back yard pump track. Ideas?- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Back yard pump track. Ideas?

Had a wild idea and think I have enough back yard to handle a decent pump track. Have gotten buy-in from my wife, as long as none of the current trees/shrubs are moved.

I have a total usable area of approximately 25 feet in width and 43-44 feet in height. Assuming this is enough usable space for something fun? Anyone have experience in building something like this or can point me to good resources? I assume I'll have to bring some good dirt in, as this side yard is covered in gravel currently and the dirt under it will be rock hard.

Thanks.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I'd recommend you go see Fish's track, or Rage's for some ideas that might fit in that lot. I bet Rage's is smaller than those dimensions, and Fish's may be right at them. I think you could build a very nice track in that space.

You may even need to have some dirt hauled in. Arizona's dirt can be made workable by soaking it. I'd probably start by moving the gravel off then start digging. Sounds like an excellent excuse to rent a Bobcat!
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

Pivotal figure
    Did you see the track we built for the So Mtn event? It was in a tight area but we got it to flow pretty well (would've been nice to be able to fine tune it but it was a 1 day event...)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    ...and 43-44 feet in height.
    Dang Blatant! 43-44 feet in height? Is that how tall the doubles will be or is that some kind of huge starting hill?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I, uh, didn't know what other word to use to be the opposite of "width."

Bloodied but Unbowed
    You could say length and width, or width and depth, depending upon how you see things.

I still want to play with a Bobcat in your back yard.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Looks like you have the smart to skip digging. Free fill dirt is some what easy to find, but get Tons and tons of it, like 30. If you can fit a tractor yard and and it fits in your budget do that too. I have seen people attempt to build pump tracks and fail. Time is your enemy, the longer it takes the less likely you are to finish the project.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No problem to get a small tractor or bobcat into the yard through the RV gate. No easy access to get tons of dirt in, though, as the RV gate is in the opposite side yard.

No Clue Crew
    Sounds like a couple wheelbarrows and a stop at the Home Depot Temp Agency is in your future...

Pivotal figure
    ^^Awesome ^^
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Perhaps you can convince your wife to sacrifice a "small path" for the tractor to drive across the yard. Can you can dump the dirt in your street or driveway for a day or two? Shovel the gravel to the side leave a path two feet wider than your tractor. Move any small palms, cactus or what ever you can that will survive transplant. Smooth out the tractor tracks and re-spread the gravel. Bad ass pump tracks take tons and tons and tons of dirt. Remember that your track will require lots of water.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by mtboz View Post
    Perhaps you can convince your wife to sacrifice a "small path" for the tractor to drive across the yard. Can you can dump the dirt in your street or driveway for a day or two? Shovel the gravel to the side leave a path two feet wider than your tractor. Move any small palms, cactus or what ever you can that will survive transplant. Smooth out the tractor tracks and re-spread the gravel. Bad ass pump tracks take tons and tons and tons of dirt. Remember that your track will require lots of water.
    Yes, lots of water, and even with that your neighbors will really appreciate the dust. Suggest you consider magnesium chloride or some other dust suppressant, in addition to the water.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The pump track we built has10ft rollers (1ft high), 10ft radius berms - flows pretty nice. To really get the speed up around the track we had to raise the berms, and put a little kicker at the end so that it shoots you back onto the track at the tail end of the berm. You can actually jump out of the berm onto the first roller after the berm.

M.

"No Clue Crew"
    I don't think you should egg injured riders, with stitches in their knee, into coming over for an easy pump track session by texting them "P****y. it's a pump track"

Just my two cents.

Members who have read this thread: 0