Back in AZ...looking for riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Back in AZ...looking for riders

I just moved back to AZ from Los Angeles. I am living in North Phoenix (I-74 & I-17) I guess its the Cave Creek area? I originally lived in Tucson about 2-3 years ago.

I am looking for anyone who would like another person to tag along for some rides. I am into epic and short rides, it don't matter. I would just like some company when riding. I rode in LA mostly by myself and it gets lame pretty quick. One thing that was an easy way to find trails in LA was geoladders.com, is there anything like that in Phx/Az?

I don't work during the winter so I am available to ride whenever and where ever in phoenix. Night rides are cool too, I have a few nigh riders lighting systems.

I am gonna go to the bike shop and get "The Map" but does anyone have any good suggestions for North Phoenix riding.

I feel like I just put in a personal on craigslist, I like long walks on the beach, candlelight dining.....

wrecking crew
    Phoenix has alot of good riding. The Phx Mountains (T100/Dreamy Draw Area) has an amazing amount of trail packed into linking mtn preserves in North Phoenix.

To the east, you have the McDowell Sonoran Preserve with amazing trails leading up and over the McDowells.

Cave Creek has the GoJohn Trail but it is really rather short on distance. The Pima/Dynamite area is good after the rains but tends to be likened to riding on kitty litter when dry and there are alot of OHV'er in the area. Even further north is the Black Canyon Trail system which part is still in the works of construction. We have a loop that starts at off Table Mesa Rd and connects with an out and back section (20mi total). With the rains, the river crossings may not be passable.

To the west, the White Tanks. There are some race loops at the base but the real meat is in the hiking trails going up and up and up with gnarly DH sections. Or go the the DH section and turn around for an amazing XC ride.

To the south, the unforgettable trails of SoMo (South Mountain). Great stuff packed with different skill level trails. Coast to Coast to Coast is always a fun adventure. Too much to list. SE: there is Hawes and Pass mtn.

There are rides being posted all the time. I would suggest just hooking up with one and getting out there to meet other riders.

Here is a link to some good phoenix area trail maps from epicrider's stash...
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th...s.php?album=54

oh yeah...be forewarned. We have ALOT of rock. Bring tubes (slime them) or better yet, run tubeless/stan's. Sidewall slashes can be common depending on the aggressiveness of your riding.

ALSO...this link has more detail local ride descriptions and such if you haven't already perused it.
    VISITORS READ HERE FIRST: Local riding advice
    ~~~

poser Administrator
    dude you moved to Phoenix? Aw man opened this expecting you to be back here.

Make sure to hook up on the bypass rides. I am aim to hit one yet and then we can get a ride in. Not sure if I can get rick up or john but I will be there representing the Tucson crowd in Jan (hopefully).

david
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Even further north is the Black Canyon Trail system which part is still in the works of construction. We have a loop that starts at off Table Mesa Rd and connects with an out and back section (20mi total).
    Thanks. Is there a MTB organization that is building the trail Black Cyn? and if so, how do you volunteer for some trail building?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Penix huh?

I don't even know you anymore!

At least try to make it down for SSAZ'08.

Welcome back to AZ!
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scanjok
    Thanks. Is there a MTB organization that is building the trail Black Cyn? and if so, how do you volunteer for some trail building?
    http://bctaz.com/index.html

The next trail day is on the 15th.

There are quite a few of us on the forum that are regulars on trail day.

EXORCIZE
    These GPS maps can be helpful:
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th...s.php?album=54

If you're up north, the trailhead south of Shea/40th Street (in the GPS map called "Phoenix Mountain Preserves") might be one of your best bets. Its a good starting point to a big spehetti dish of intermediate-level trails (give or take) sometimes referred to collectively as "Dreamy Draw." There are so many trails that I can't make sense of the map, but since its impossible to get lost, you can just roam around and explore.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I plan on riding go john trail in the morning. Prolly around the 930 area. Ill check in the morning on here to see if your interested in riding. FyI the trail is 5 bucks to get into and its a pretty rocky trail with a few technical sections, not a whole lot of downhill speed sections.

mtbr member
    I will be there 930

Members who have read this thread: 0