BAB, build a bike- Mtbr.com
    Tdub

BAB, build a bike

Looking for advice on building a 29r if I can in fact get my order placed for a RIP9. Not sure that I have the technical prowess to get it done, ordering the rest of the bike and assembling....so, dumb question but, how do you go about it when you order just the frame? LBS assembles for you along with advising on compatible components....or really, how's the best way? I hate to make this into a learning project when the frame starts off in the price range of my current bike in it's complete stage, just worried that I don't know enough about ordering everything I need, or getting the best mojo out of components.
    "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyWW
    Looking for advice on building a 29r if I can in fact get my order placed for a RIP9. Not sure that I have the technical prowess to get it done, ordering the rest of the bike and assembling....so, dumb question but, how do you go about it when you order just the frame? LBS assembles for you along with advising on compatible components....or really, how's the best way? I hate to make this into a learning project when the frame starts off in the price range of my current bike in it's complete stage, just worried that I don't know enough about ordering everything I need, or getting the best mojo out of components.
    I've built up three SS's by acquiring frames, then piecemealing components together from what I had laying around or on other bikes, and ordering online. In each case, I had a friend or friends help put it together and really do most of the technical stuff as I just don't have that prowess. I've also learned more in each case. So that's one way to go, just order the frame, then order and/or compile parts, then have someone help you put it together. If you post up, there are always helpful MTB'ers willing to help.

If you order through the LBS, you can also order a build kit, which provides everthing you need to build out the bike. Most LBS' will let you swap various things in or out of the kit, giving you a credit or an extra charge depending on what you swap in. You have to get all the parts through the kit, though, as they'll charge you more if you want to provide certain parts on your own.

I am in the same boat with the rip9 as I want that bike. I have been thinking about getting the frame and the build kit through the Pig with some upgrades, but think I will do much better if I get the frame online, get parts online or through eBay, then have someone help me put it together. For one thing, there is some serious tax savings: if you order the frame and build kit through an LBS and it's, say, $3500, that will add almost $300 in tax. Buying online saves that. You also get to really pick your components, pparticularly the wheelset, which you will always do better on in terms of quality getting it online vs. with the build kit.

But the LBS way is very easy and user friendly as they do it all for you, and provide the ongoing service and support for the bike. Definitely something to factor in.

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

Tdub
    Helpful Walt, thanks. I see they're out of the Silver Medium frame until Dec....but just happen to have a blue waiting. Since I'm still trying to figure out the whole process, I'll probably buy the extra month and wait.

Kathleen in AZ
    Helpful Walt, thanks. I see they're out of the Silver Medium frame until Dec....but just happen to have a blue waiting. Since I'm still trying to figure out the whole process, I'll probably buy the extra month and wait.
    Building new bikes even if with old parts is always fun! Make a list of all the parts you'll need... I always make an Excel spreadsheet and it's usually called "build-a-bike" so that's why your post caught my eye! Then I list two sets of components... my budget list and my primo list.

Coming to the point of being able to pick and choose the component list requires educating yourself... ask friends, talk to your lbs, read the bike mags, and scour the MTBR component reviews. Then do some comparison on-line shopping at all the various mail-order places... Speedgoat, Universalcycles, Price Point, and Jenson are my on-line shops of choice, especially Speedgoat. Put the prices in your spreadsheet and don't forget to consider S+H and/or tax.

Don't be afraid to bring your list of "best internet prices" to your LBS and see if they will match or come close to the prices. Having the local support may be worth the extra cost, especially since this is your first build. Nothing sucks more than to be waiting for that key component to arrive at your door only to find that it won't work and you need to return it for something else. doh!!

When it comes to installation, having the right tools (allen wrenches, bb tool, headset press, fork crown race setter, pipe cutter, star nut setter, cog setter or whatever it's called, cable cutter) is key but the whole process is really pretty darn easy. And as Walt said, there are several of us out here who will gladly open their garages and lend a hand. Need a headset installed? I can do it for you with my handy dandy park hs press in 5 minutes. Depending on the bb/crank set-up, give me another 10 minutes there. New fork? Piece of cake...1/2 hr!! Deraileurs, brakes, and cables/housing takes a bit more time and effort.

I can't find one of my build-a-bike lists, but here is the list of components on my stolen DeKerf that I used to get an insurance settlement. It'll give you a starting point of all the bits and pieces that you will need to build a bike from the frame up:

1998 DeKerf ST - copper - 15.5"
    Manitou Black Elite 80mm front shock
    Chris King headset - silver
    2 silver spacers
    1 green spacer
    Race Face titanium BB - taper
    Race Face standard crankset
    Race Face rock ring / bash guard
    Green Aluminum chainring bolts
    Time Attack carbon pedals
    Chris King hubset - green
    Mavic 517 rims
    Aluminum silver nipples
    14/15 spokes
    Specialized Armadillo tires
    slime presta valve tubes
    Cook Bros wheel skewers
    SDG Belair kevlar/Ti rail saddle
    Syncros seatpost
    Thomson 100/5 stem
    Easton carbon riser handlebars
    Yuri Hardcore grips
    Avid Ultimate brake levers
    Avid Ultimate brakes
    XTR pod shifters 9-sp
    XTR rear deraileur 9-sp
    XTR 8-sp cogset
    XT front deraileur
    brake cables (2)
    brake cable housing
    deraileur cables (2)
    deraileur cable housing
    cable ends and ferrules
    Cateye bike computer

A wonderful place to start building your dream bike is www.wrenchscience.com. Even if they don't have your exact frame, start with sometthing comparable and use their awesome site to pick and choose components. I bought my 5Spot from them - the deal was as good as buying the same components at best on-line prices AND it arrived at my door ready to ride!! That was the first bike in a long time that I didn't build and I'm pleased to report that they did as good as a job as I would have done.
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 11-03-2006 at 07:18 AM.

Tdub
    Way cool! I have to say, the tools alone are intimidating, although the ante from the gang of "I'll help you" is the most awesome part. I'm not tool inept, I just don't have everything you'd need to build frame up. Nonetheless, I think I'd get a great education with the help that's been offered, and so long as I have a rig waiting while I tinker on the new build, and beers/pizzas/chocolate or the likes for helpers, it wouldn't make me too impatient where I just claim the H_LL with it, and have the LBS do it all. Great support offered and already learning there is a right and wrong way to go about this.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Building a Bike = Fun!

Way cool! I have to say, the tools alone are intimidating, although the ante from the gang of "I'll help you" is the most awesome part. I'm not tool inept, I just don't have everything you'd need to build frame up. Nonetheless, I think I'd get a great education with the help that's been offered, and so long as I have a rig waiting while I tinker on the new build, and beers/pizzas/chocolate or the likes for helpers, it wouldn't make me too impatient where I just claim the H_LL with it, and have the LBS do it all. Great support offered and already learning there is a right and wrong way to go about this.
    I zipped an Excel sheet up and hopefully you can download it as a starter bike building tool. I'm out on the East side and enjoy wrenching too so don't be shy...
    Attached Files Attached Files

igoslo
    Troy, there have been some great tips handed out so far. While not a big supporter of online bike shopping I can certainly see the advantages for the whole bike build. A friend of mine back East just bought a whole build kit from bikeman.com and saved ~30% off MSRP, however he's got a full shop of the right tools and more bike building experience than most LBS mechanics. If your set on doing it yourself make sure you've got a torque wrench on hand for everything you do and use the right tools for each job. There are plenty of people on this site with well equipped garages and willing to help if you bring the beer.

Tdub

Dumb with excitement

OK...fully expected to go into the Slippery Pig today and simply learn more about a 29 custom build, particularly for a Rip9. Well, after those guys hooked me up with 4 different rigs to try out, inlcuding the Ventana El Cap, GF 292, El Mariachi SS, and the Lenz Leviathan...I am now a beaming owner of a Lenz Leviathan with better components than I thought I could afford. The bike had ~200 miles on it, and was set up really sweet. Pics attached and many thanks to the PIG! I'm so giddy right now, I don't even feel safe to ride. I'll report back after the maiden voyage. I'm still blowing kisses to my Trance and we'll give her all the love I have time for, but looking forward to seeing you all on the trails 29 stylin. Pics to follow as the system is "too busy" right now.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I know you just bought your new bike, grats by the way, but I just did the BAB with a Juice about 3 months ago. I bought everything seperately (wheels I bought built by MC) and put most things together myself. When the frame arrived, the LBS offered to press the headset as long as I paid for the spacers.

I bought the frame, shock, and stem from them and the parts on-line from the same sites listed above. Since I am not a big money person I don't know if I got a good deal, but I can say that I know a lot more about bikes now then I did before. If you get the chance in the future I would highly recommend doing it.

mtbr member
    woot! woot!

Occidental Tourist
    offer beer. some wayward ex-shop rat will help.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Tdub

Maiden Voyage

Some personal observations after the first ride on the Leviathan, and regarding 29r's in general:
    1) I love it, and see why 29r's are becoming as popular as they are...it's just fun
    2) the twisty tight singletrack issues that I first read about with turning radius etc...all BS, I don't know if it's the bars or the general front end, but it is stable and rails very nicely
    3)all small bumps become inconsequential, which was most notable in river bottom that usually chatters my teeth pretty well
    4) Climbing was easier, but not so much that it couldn't have just been the adrenaline. On the same note, the small whoop de doos, or other quick steep climbs were in fact much easier, and I cleaned a few rocky sections back in Ironwood wash that sometimes send me over on the 26
    5)White Bros forks are light, but noisy...the plush nature of a Reba, was far from evident in the White Bros Magic...I don't really know what this was, but it handled nicely outside of the "hollow sound"
    6) 29r's roll better....I noticed that speed was never lacking, and in general, the bike just rolled better
    7)Descending will take some getting used to, it feels very different than a 26
    and finally
    8) I know your aren't supposed to feel higher with more clearance, but I did, and noticed essentially ZERO pedal contact moments on the 29r which are common on my Trance 2 26.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Happy trails

sweet ride..

i'll be throwing a 29er into the stable after the first of the year.a short travel xc rig for sure.
    untill then i am in the watch and learn stage to see how all these new rigs perform and hold up for you guys.
    Aaron

Kathleen in AZ
    The whole bike is an awesome set-up, right down to the dinger bell! What size is the frame and what does the bike weigh in at? And what is that funky handlebar/stem combo? very cool looking...

wrecking crew
    purdy! 29ers are fun, that is for sure! You'll love it more and more as you get used to it.
    ~~~

Tdub

THE industries bar stem combo

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    The whole bike is an awesome set-up, right down to the dinger bell! What size is the frame and what does the bike weigh in at? And what is that funky handlebar/stem combo? very cool looking...
    I had to look it up, as I've never seen anything like it either. Apparently it is booku $'s, but it feels really nice. Carbon "flight system" from THE-industries.

Tdub
    Oh, and using the very non scientific get on the bathroom scale without and then with the bike, she weighs 27 pounds, or just a tad under.

Members who have read this thread: 0