DFL>DNF>DNS

AZT300/750 is ON!!

Don't know if you all know or follow, but the AZT300 & 750 kicked off y'day morning and some huge efforts are being thrown down after the first 24+ hours.

Track it here: Trackleaders: AZT300/750

More race discussion here: Bikepacking.net/aztr

Kurt R. is going for the 750 record and is currently on pace.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    These gals and guys are insane. I was watching yesterday Kurt was at Loma alta at like 830 pm haha. Its going to be super hot but super windy around Tucson today im going to the azt/bellota in a few to slap some high fives.

mtbr member
    Kaitlyn Boyle looks to be going after the Female 300 record. Any in the process beating all the me Except for Neil Beltchenko. They are only a few miles apart on Oracle ridge best I can tell 175ish miles in to the race.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    im going to the azt/bellota in a few to slap some high fives.
    Don't forget to tell them how much faster you are

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It really is amazing watching all of these guys (and gals) out there. Watching the pace that the fast riders are throwing down can't really be appreciated if you haven't ever been out there on the route. It really is beyond my comprehension that they are riding at basically double my pace. It's humbling as hell, and so very impressive and inspiring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    It really is amazing watching all of these guys (and gals) out there. Watching the pace that the fast riders are throwing down can't really be appreciated if you haven't ever been out there on the route. It really is beyond my comprehension that they are riding at basically double my pace. It's humbling as hell, and so very impressive and inspiring.
    Kaitlyn reached summerhaven over 26 hours faster than me last year. And she had not even been out there 26 hours. So Yeah superfast is an understatment.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Here's a photo album I took from the 300 start y'day. I hung around long enough to watch all the 750 riders come through.

2018 AZT300/750

I'll get some shots from Picketpost this weekend. Looks like I'll be heading over there super early to pick up Neil!! Dude just dropped in from Tiger Mine. 93 miles to go!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Here's a photo album I took from the 300 start y'day. I hung around long enough to watch all the 750 riders come through.

2018 AZT300/750

I'll get some shots from Picketpost this weekend. Looks like I'll be heading over there super early to pick up Neil!! Dude just dropped in from Tiger Mine. 93 miles to go!!
    John You may want to head out there and spend the night. Can he do 93 miles in 12 hours? It took me 12hours to get from the Gila to the finish last year, but Neil not quite human. He is a machine. Yeah if you target 46-50 hours it will be morning, but the man he is flying.
    Joe

Nov 2015
    I went out and gave out lots of high fives and a few safety meetings. I have about 20 pictures of different riders where can i send them?

These people are super crazy for sure. Going up Redington just getting pounded by the sun. It was a good mix of people riding up and people pushing up. Everyone was in good spirits and going strong.

While I greatly respect those throwing down ridiculous efforts (especially considering how warm it is this year), there are plenty of stories and small victories in the rest of the pack. So, don't forget to send positive vibes to the ordinary shlubs out there. Those folks make up the bulk of this thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    While I greatly respect those throwing down ridiculous efforts (especially considering how warm it is this year), there are plenty of stories and small victories in the rest of the pack. So, don't forget to send positive vibes to the ordinary shlubs out there. Those folks make up the bulk of this thing.
    So true. I met Keith Tomei a couple weeks ago while my wife and I were riding on the AZT. Super nice guy, we had a nice long conversation on the trail. He's about halfway up Lemon now. Wishing him luck!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For sure man. John and I met Clayton Petersen down at the start. He is riding for a good cause. Hes hoping to get into Tucson today after having a catastrophic seat bag failure in the canelos. Anyone who lines up and gives this a go no matter the result deserves much respect.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Indeed JZ. I often follow the fast dots with pure awe & amazement knowing I am so far out of that league. It's hard to relate to those efforts because I'll never be there (nor do I want to be). So much respect for anyone that toes the line for these events. The nervous energy & anxiousness at the start is palpable. So many show up not knowing what to fully expect and they go for it. Kudos. That takes stones.

In the end the fast riders are tired, sore and glad to be done. The slower riders are also tired, sore and glad to be done when it's over. They have to battle the elements longer, perhaps making it a tougher event for them. Neil finished this morning and was pretty wrecked. He's now konked out on our spare bed with the A/C on. Think about all the other riders still out there, many for days to come, while the Mercury pushes over 90*.

Congrats to everyone who lines up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    HaH;
    son James says to me; "Dad, just riun faster!" when I tell him that the last hour on my marathon times are so hot!

We just got back from PicketPost; saw out local hero/trail builder Curtis Barrett finish with alot of hooping; really nice to see his enthusiastic spirit---after 300 miles!!!
    'Well done' to all finishers; and kudos to John Schilling, who was at PP this AM---giving out hi fives, and water....and beer!
    Anyone have a week June 30-July 7 to ride the BC 1000 Epic with me?
    Cheers
    TS

Nov 2015
    Any updates? I cant get trackleaders to load with half decent service up here.

Kurt is approaching Grandview. He'll drop into the canyon today for sure.
    Dustin is next back on the Happy Jack segment (one of my least favorite).
    Max is up on the rim on some nice trail. I'm sure he is having a good time.

I'm happy to see that Dan Holmes is still going - on the Payson to Pine suckfest. He did me a solid last year after he had to DNF with a broken bike on Highline. Really want to see him finish.

There are riders out there as far back as Tucson. Kudos to all who have stuck with this through the heat. Tough year.

Nov 2015
    Kurt is approaching Grandview. He'll drop into the canyon today for sure.
    Dustin is next back on the Happy Jack segment (one of my least favorite).
    Max is up on the rim on some nice trail. I'm sure he is having a good time.

I'm happy to see that Dan Holmes is still going - on the Payson to Pine suckfest. He did me a solid last year after he had to DNF with a broken bike on Highline. Really want to see him finish.

There are riders out there as far back as Tucson. Kudos to all who have stuck with this through the heat. Tough year.
    Thanks Jeff, did Nick Armado finish the 300? Had a good time with him when i went out to morale support on Redington.

Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Thanks Jeff, did Nick Armado finish the 300? Had a good time with him when i went out to morale support on Redington.
    he got it done

Race Status Finished
    Last Update Rec'd 08:34:21 PM (MST) 04/08/18

Nov 2015
    he got it done

Race Status Finished
    Last Update Rec'd 08:34:21 PM (MST) 04/08/18
    Thanks again Jeff. I told all 20 riders i slapped hi fives and clapped for that..Pain is temporary, results are online forever. These people are legends.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Kurt is flyin'!! Showing no signs of slowing down. Looked fresh on the video I saw of him in Flagstaff y'day. His target time? Tomorrow night before 7:28p. It's looking good for him. Aaron Denberg, the southbound speed demon, knocked out Stateline CG to the South Rim under 24 hours on Friday. If he's lucky, he'll roll through the Gila at night, scorcher down there right now.

Ron Thomson & the 300 Lantern Rouge, Travis Waters, are slogging up into Martinez Canyon in the heat of the day. Ouch.

I've updated my 2018 AZTR album. Grabbed some finish shots out at Picketpost and a few 750 riders as they rolled through the Gold Canyon & beyond area the past couple of days.

Gotta say, It truly warms my heart to see all those 750 riders off of US60 and on the dirt of Gold Canyon & Jacob's Crosscut trail!! Most said the jeep roads between Queen Valley & Gold Canyon were an inferno due to lack of any breeze. Tough, tough people out there.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Warm one this year for sure. It does get me energized to do at least the 300 next year. I still have thoughts on the 750, but time off needed for it always a concern.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Some great shots in that album!

Interesting to see a few 750 riders not using seat bags. And their packs are still smaller than the one I normally use....

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Some great shots in that album!

Interesting to see a few 750 riders not using seat bags. And their packs are still smaller than the one I normally use....
    Every time I see a picture of a bikepacker with an ultra small compact kit...I break out my detailed gear list spreadsheet and try to figure out what the hell I'm carrying that others aren't, and what I can "flung" (< Bill Bryson style). I usually just scratch my head because I'm pretty dialed in and light weight already.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    ...and Kurt's DONE. 6d 6h & change for a new fastest time on the 750. Insane.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Kurt is done 6 days 6 hrs 8 minutes.
    Joe

mtbr member
    ...and Kurt's DONE. 6d 6h 8m for a new fastest time on the 750. Insane.
    Too fast for me John, Look like you beat me to the post!

As for Kurt... Yeah that guy is just silly. Next closest guy is half way between flag and GC
    Joe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's hard to fathom the 750. When I start to contemplate the speed in which Kurt did it, it wrecks my mind. Unreal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds View Post
    Every time I see a picture of a bikepacker with an ultra small compact kit...I break out my detailed gear list spreadsheet and try to figure out what the hell I'm carrying that others aren't, and what I can "flung" (< Bill Bryson style). I usually just scratch my head because I'm pretty dialed in and light weight already.
    I hear you. Realistically I could eliminate some clothing and carry less food. Could leave my sleeping kit but I seem to use that every night. I could leave my tools, but if something goes wrong I'd be screwed.

It's hard to fathom the 750. When I start to contemplate the speed in which Kurt did it, it wrecks my mind. Unreal.
    I know. I look at the rest of the dots in the Payson area and they look so slow by comparison, I figure that's probably where I would be. Then I look again and realize they're actually going pretty fast and I'd be off the back behind them. I don't really care to be that fast or able to ride through the night. But it would be killer to be able to pull off the 750 or CTR in a week. Would make coming to these events a lot easier. Getting 2 weeks off at once isn't easy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I hear you. Realistically I could eliminate some clothing and carry less food. Could leave my sleeping kit but I seem to use that every night. I could leave my tools, but if something goes wrong I'd be screwed.

I know. I look at the rest of the dots in the Payson area and they look so slow by comparison, I figure that's probably where I would be. Then I look again and realize they're actually going pretty fast and I'd be off the back behind them. I don't really care to be that fast or able to ride through the night. But it would be killer to be able to pull off the 750 or CTR in a week. Would make coming to these events a lot easier. Getting 2 weeks off at once isn't easy.
    Man Id be so stoked with 12 days lol

Elitest thrill junkie

Cool to see Alaska getting 2nd!

Here, people do the same shit, but the risk is even bigger. In some races, you are required to carry a -20 sleeping bag, and going over the pass to McGrath and into the interior, that's even a little on the light side. Some racers are taking 0 bags though, and "betting" that they won't get caught or the weather won't change. The 1000 mile winner went without a front brake. Although you don't need much brake on that kind of terrain, there are some conditions you are likely to encounter where you at least NEED one brake (with your studded tires and even shoes), due to ice-flows. I've ridden in plenty of terrain at -20, sections of the Iditarod actually, where brakes are not necessary, but the reason I use two isn't because I need two brakes for these sections, it's in case one fails, and that's the real danger out there. Things can get jammed with overflow ice and then it instantly freezes and you can't get it to work, it's like epoxy. So some of these sacrifices and decisions that people are making can get pretty risky. They start betting a lot on a positive outcome and not encountering any complications. When it goes too far in this direction I think it reduces the competitive nature of the event, since the person that wins may be one that made a questionable gear decision and simply just got lucky, rather than responsible (able to deal with conditions and situations) decision and ability. Part of the fun of racing though is experimenting and seeing what is faster and what is slower, so to some extent this optimization is definitely positive, but some people do take it too far. Several people got caught last year in the pass by bad weather and some were pretty ill prepared, experienced racers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Man Id be so stoked with 12 days lol
    Same here. That's roughly the time I'd be shooting for and is what my 300 time extrapolates to. Still works out to almost 70mi/day which is not an insignificant amount to ride day after day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Several people got caught last year in the pass by bad weather and some were pretty ill prepared, experienced racers.
    Some of the faster riders on the CTR had to bail last year as it was getting toward evening and they got to the start of a climb over a high pass with a storm either socked in or approaching. None of them had adequate sleeping gear or shelter to deal with that kind of weather from what I read. Fortunately they made a good decision and scratched.

I don't get enough time off at work to be able to bail part way through one of these longer events. Once I'm in, I'm in and I come as well prepared as I can to finish it.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I look at the rest of the dots in the Payson area and they look so slow by comparison, I figure that's probably where I would be. Then I look again and realize they're actually going pretty fast and I'd be off the back behind them.
    In 2016, I was on the Highline Trail when Neil finished. Would've been the same this year. Dave H. is riding very close to my pace from that year, although he's now pushed ahead of my virtual JS dot!! (I had camped at Washington Park & he made the push up the rim and continued to the top of the Blue Ridge HAB). I still believe I could get the 750 done in the 10-11 day range. Plenty of areas where I 'gave back' a ton of time. Bonus 80+ miles for starters, stopped early in Oracle, Payson, Flagstaff, South Rim, camped during the hike, got a room at Jacob Lake, etc. That stuff right there easily added 2+ days, riding at a similar pace would put me at 11 1/2 days. I fully intend to tackle this beast again, perhaps next year...

Yeah, Dustin's effort has kinda flown under the radar because of Kurt, but he's really throwing it down out there. Coming from Alaska straight into the inferno this year and performing so well tells you how strong he is. He'll probably finish in the rarefied air of Sub-8 finishers. There's only been a handful of those over the years. Looks like he's getting his hiking rig situated as I type, rider #2 into the ditch soon....
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    I know. I look at the rest of the dots in the Payson area and they look so slow by comparison, I figure that's probably where I would be. Then I look again and realize they're actually going pretty fast and I'd be off the back behind them.
    That is so true. Kurt makes normal fast people look slow. Those folks in payson now are just 1 week into a very grueling effort and they are making great time. Anyone that complete the 750 is pure bad ass all the way and deserves credit. Even dtownmtb.
    Joe

It's hard to fathom the 750.
    yeah it is. But I'm living proof that any old person can do it with planning, luck, a burning desire, and lots of time.

BTW,
    For those who want to see a little more chatter about what is going on there is discussion here:
    2018 AZTR300/750 Race Discussion Thread

mtbr member
    Plenty of areas where I 'gave back' a ton of time. Bonus 80+ miles for starters, stopped early in Oracle, Payson, Flagstaff, South Rim, camped during the hike, got a room at Jacob Lake, etc. That stuff right there easily added 2+ days, riding at a similar pace would put me at 11 1/2 days. I fully intend to tackle this beast again, perhaps next year...
    Yeah, there are places I could gain plenty of time too. But I figure I'd lose equal amounts in other ways like stopping to do laundry or having the wrong timing at a resupply, permit office or start of a particular section. I'd like to do most of the canyon in daylight and splitting into two days would help my knees survive. Will need to carry more cold weather clothing so going over lemmon won't be an issue like it was in the 300. My timing was wrong getting there for the clothing I had - didn't want to be up there in the middle of the night so I ended up taking a longer sleep break than I wanted to.

mtbr member
    Yeah, there are places I could gain plenty of time too. But I figure I'd lose equal amounts in other ways like stopping to do laundry or having the wrong timing at a resupply, permit office or start of a particular section. I'd like to do most of the canyon in daylight and splitting into two days would help my knees survive. Will need to carry more cold weather clothing so going over lemmon won't be an issue like it was in the 300. My timing was wrong getting there for the clothing I had - didn't want to be up there in the middle of the night so I ended up taking a longer sleep break than I wanted to.
    One of the big challenges in these events is time saved in one place may not be time saved at all. Last year I stopped in summerhaven to get a long lunch at sawmill. That stop was a couple hours at least when I could have just gotten water refill at tacked Oracle ridge. In stead I waited for the restaurant to open a great lunch and completely re-hydrated and hit oracle ridge "fresh". Plus had a great time with other riders. Yeah it was time consuming, but for both the body and moral how much did it help? No way to really know, but I like to think it was valuable. Of course my goal in 2017 was really just to finish. Time was not a big concern so a stop like that which put me in good mood and got my body working well was so nice. It is part of the concern for 2019. Do I work to cut my 2017 300 time down alot and how do I do it. Or do I tackle another "just hope to finish" effort and take on the 750? For me anyway the time commitment is the big fact on the 750. I know I can do the 300 in 4 calendar days (assuming no major trouble), but the 750? It is going to take alot longer that is for sure.
    Joe

Rhino
    ... I fully intend to tackle this beast again, perhaps next year...
    JS, you and I ride similar pace, I think we both could cut off 3 days off our time. I want to give it another run as well...but The OTT occupies my mind daily, and I'm day dreaming about finishing that.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Wait'll we connect OTT to Baja Divide! The base route I have for CA is 1800mi and +180,000ft, and that's before adding in singletrack. Will be a while til that route is done though.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds View Post
    JS, you and I ride similar pace, I think we both could cut off 3 days off our time. I want to give it another run as well...but The OTT occupies my mind daily, and I'm day dreaming about finishing that.
    The OTT looks mighty enticing. I heard they added more singletrack!! Alice was telling me about at the 300 start.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Nov 2015
    Have any of you checked out Trans North Georgia? Thats supposed to be super hard too.

The OTT looks mighty enticing. I heard they added more singletrack!! Alice was telling me about at the 300 start.
    how about AZTR southbound?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    how about AZTR southbound?
    No. Nope. Nada.

Let's see: colder start, hotter finish (in theory!!), Highline & Happy Jack suck in each direction, so no advantage there. Gila100 ring a bell? Thought so. Up Oracle Ridge?? Las Colinas southbound? What's the reward? A finish in the Canelo Hills...uphill....ok, there's some ok dirt road down to the border, but I'll take the entry into Stateline any day.

How about Justin's run? Dude bonked hard on the first day, almost quit in Patagonia. Then got lost after Kentucky Camp and wandered around the wrong side of the Santa Rita Mtns. for 5+ hours...in the dark. He stuck with it and slowly picked off one rider after another to wrap it up a short while ago in 4th place. His LIVE feeds on FB were hilarious too.
    My Two Schillingsworth