Azt ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Azt ?

Big B's Trails

Azt ?

Question for the Flag guys, a friend and I rode the AZT from Schultz Tank north(west) towards snow bowl on sun. morning and after we crossed snow bowl road and climbed for a mile or two the trail sorted died... it ran into a Aspen grove where you had to jump multiple downed trees and just did not look like the same quality(excellent) as the rest... is that the trail or did we miss something?
    I dig dirt!

Ahhh the pain....
    You found it...that small unfinished section is a few hundred yards long. Once you get past that it's pristine trail again that climbs again. Here's a link to a gpx that will help you navigate the unfinished stuff. Note, the southbound track is what you want...the northbound is on SB road.
    SS Schultz to FR418 and back by raybum at Garmin Connect - Details

Give it a crank
    The unfinished section is not a big deal, just a short hike-a-bike through the forest. It looks like the major work for the trail is mostly done.

We HABed two different paths last weekend in each direction through that section. Here's a map and a link to the GPS log. Note that the southbound route colored in blue misses the lookout point with great views.

GPS log

DFL>DNF>DNS
    [QUOTE=Mtn-Rider;8419069]The unfinished section is not a big deal, just a short hike-a-bike through the forest. It looks like the major work for the trail is mostly done.

We HABed two different paths last weekend in each direction through that section. Here's a map and a link to the GPS log. Note that the southbound route colored in blue misses the lookout point with great views.
    QUOTE]

Here I thought we missed the lookout on the way down b/c we were just 'flyin' down the mountain!! I should've known better, I'm way too slow to fly by anything!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Big B's Trails
    Thanx guys, now I HAVE to go back( as if I didn't already )
    One more question... Do any of you know how to get temps/weather for Schultz tank/pass?
    Edit: nevermind found it...
    http://www.findlocalweather.com/pinpoint/us/az/schultz+tank/current448877.html
    Or better yet what the low was on last sat. night...
    I dig dirt!

Huffy Rider
    I use noaa for point specific weather details. Riding that section from Aspen corner to Snowbowl rd is EPIC!!!! Throw in an out and back on Mace's Revenge and you have near perfection.

Ahhh the pain....
    This weather sensor is fairly close, but appears to be nearer the bottom by the Y. However, you can look back and see historical data.
    Weather Station History : Weather Underground

Huffy Rider
    ^^^^HA! That is the site I use when I don't need point specific! The Wundermap is awesome for radar.

Big B's Trails
    Hmmm that site says the low was 45* for sat. night and my new summer bag is rated down to 45*... it was def. on the edge of cold but seems pretty accurate... good to know.
    BTW you guys have quite a Jem there with the AZT.
    We also rode the new singletrack at cerbat hills in Kingman and it's also being built very well.
    I dig dirt!

Members who have read this thread: 0