AZSF: Picketpost to Kelvin Shuttle - Sat. 3/16 (Roll Call)- Mtbr.com
    DFL>DNF>DNS

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! AZSF: Picketpost to Kelvin Shuttle - Sat. 3/16 (Roll Call)

Post up if you plan on attending.

AZT - Picketpost to Kelvin (shuttle)

Arizona Trail: 'A' ride (due to length: 38 mi. & elevation gain: 6000')
    Ride Leader: freeskier46 (John)
    Start Location: Picketpost trailhead
    End Location: Gila River auto bridge in Kelvin

The plan is to meet at the Picketpost TH at 8am, arrange the shuttle vehicles then drop off shuttles in Kelvin. Round trip time for shuttle drop off is approx. 1 hour. The goal is to start riding as close to 9am as possible. This will be an all day ride, +/- 8 hours.

Bring plenty of water & food, this is a remote stretch of trail in rugged terrain.
    Bring a camera!! There will be ample opportunity for photos. While this is a strenuous ride, it will be at a more casual pace.

Riders not wanting to go all the way through to Kelvin are welcome to join in and do a portion of this ride as an out-n-back.

Directions to Picketpost TH: From PHX: Take US60 east, towards Superior, between mileposts 221 & 222 look for large brown sign designating the Picketpost trailhead. Turn right on graded dirt road. Go 1/4 mile to the end & turn left. Follow this dirt road into the parking area.

Bring a cooler with your favorite post-ride beverage/snack to leave in the shuttle vehicles.

More info & pics can be seen here: PP to Kelvin 12.31.11 and AZSF 2012: PP to Kelvin
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    John:

So when you say 6000 feet, is that 6000 feet of climbing ? If yes, wow, that is way out of my capable range...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I've done the ride twice now, using my Edge 705 on both. One time it was 5400' the other 6100' of climbing.

Based on what I saw you do on the Ripsey route, IMO you could handle this ride. A few others from our Ripsey group have done it, Jeff, Nancy, Bev, Noel, Tim, Bob, Ray & Steve. Heck, I couldn't keep up with you on those long climbs!! Also, while there is a bunch of climbing, none of the climbs are as brutal as the 'Big Hill' on Ripsey, not even close. See you at the trailhead!
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Most of the terrain is rolling. There are 2 grunts on the way out. Both are spinnable and reward you with some sweet views and some downhill once you're up.
    The descent to the river is pretty sweet, I think that's nearly 2,000ft and it is fast. Everything flattens until the very end and you hit a climb with a few switchbacks to finish up.

I agree, not easy, but not any more difficult than Ripsey.

How much further ???
    I might be in for an out and back. Ive wanted to do this ride since last year but I have family coming in that weekend. My bother-in-law rides as well but I doubt he would be up for a ride of this caliber. He said he was struggling on a 7 mile ride he did the other day.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Ripsey definitely had some nasty sections... almost dangerous... I'll likely be there, I let you know next week...

Lurky Lou
    In for the shuttle. Might try to convince one more.

aka Diesel
    Absolutely! Count me in for the shuttle! Did it last year, and it almost killed me, but I'm ready for round 2!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

"Yabut"
    I'm in, if somebody promises to scare the vultures away from my dead body.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Dave
    Absolutely! Count me in for the shuttle! Did it last year, and it almost killed me, but I'm ready for round 2!

Me and Patti rode from the south end to meet you guys that year but we never saw you. We turned around after 12mi or so., this year will do it proper like, start and finish with all you nuts.
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    We just rode from Kelvin trailhead to Cochrane las Sunday; where we crossed the knee deep river and met our pick-up.
    The trail is in great shape, and the scenery is some of the best on the Az Trail.
    My (young) friend Craig is joining your ride, and, based upon his ridin yestrerday at SOMO: Geronimo, 24th st., and Holbert; he'll not slow you down.
    Have a safe and wonderful ride. Please post some pics.
    Cheers. TS

mtbr member
    as of now the high tempertaure forecasted for Superior on this ride day is 88F. I'll be doing an out and back just because I am a bit scared to commit past a point of no return... I tend to hit a wall especially when it's warm...

I hate to sound like a statistic weenie... but about how far out (and back) will give me around 4000 feet of climbing ? Maybe 12 miles ?

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post

Me and Patti rode from the south end to meet you guys that year but we never saw you. We turned around after 12mi or so., this year will do it proper like, start and finish with all you nuts.
    Dave, my recommendation for you & Patti is to start riding when the group leaves to set up the shuttle. That'll give you about an hour head start. You can take your time on the climbs that way and do them while it's still cool. The group will catch you and you will still have some gas in the tank for the finish. That is what Amy & I did last year.

It's a full meal deal for sure!

Wish we could do it again this year...Why to people insist on spring weddings?? Don't they know that's prime pedaling time!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I hate to sound like a statistic weenie... but about how far out (and back) will give me around 4000 feet of climbing ? Maybe 12 miles ?
    The OnB to the Gila Saddle (point of no return) is 14.5 miles out & Strava posted it at 4005' of elevation gain for the round trip.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    The OnB to the Gila Saddle (point of no return) is 14.5 miles out & Strava posted it at 4005' of elevation gain for the round trip.
    thanks for all your help !

aka Diesel

AZSF: Picketpost to Kelvin Shuttle - Sat. 3/16 (Roll Call)

Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post

Oh yeah! That's right, I forgot about that.

I am most likely going to plan on an out and back this year. As I get real about the shape I am in post-surgery, it occurs to me that after a week of AZSF riding I might not have enough gas left for the whole thing. So I am thinking pizza and beer for the "Flip a B*tch" group.

I plan to ride to the epic crest (so amazing up there!) and then turn back. Still a stout ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Count me in Burrito Brother!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Picketpost Shuttle

Count me in. Likely my last ride in AZ before I return to MI. Hopefully it will be cooler then predicted temps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As usual, this will be a game day decision for me when it comes to the full meal deal. I will at least do an out and back. I like to go out to the Ten mile point. Even though it's mostly down hill from there, you still get worked pretty good from the tight turns and small climbs.
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    I'm most likely out because of work. My friend Nardo is coming instead. He's mainly a roadie and should be insulted for the duration of the ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Call in sick Judgekins! I will keep an eye on the roadie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    John, I am hoping to make it.

Anyone wanting to carpool from the South Mtn Area, please give me a shout. PM.
    Michael
    old guy

mtbr member
    No can do. I'll be on call and need to be able to receive calls. I might try and push it and do the ONB

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Myself and one other will be joining ya'll, see ya at the trail head.

No new blood
    It looks like most of the climbing is in the first 12 or 13 miles, which is basically the "Alamo Canyon" section of the trail. I've done that as an out and back before. For me, my concern is the additional distance of continuing to Kelvin. How much water is considered "plenty of water"? More than 100oz?
    "I've upped my standards. Now, up yours." - P. Paulsen

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBob View Post
    It looks like most of the climbing is in the first 12 or 13 miles, which is basically the "Alamo Canyon" section of the trail. I've done that as an out and back before. For me, my concern is the additional distance of continuing to Kelvin. How much water is considered "plenty of water"? More than 100oz?
    I'm planning on 100oz + 1 bottle. I may bring extra in case others need it. Forecast now is showing a high of 80 for Superior & 83 for Kelvin. I think if you tend to drink a lot of water during rides you should plan on more than 100oz. There's always the option to filter the Gila if needed.

Yes, most of the climbing is done by mile 14, with that said the climbs over the final few miles can be draining because most riders are pretty whooped by then. That final climb is a crusher, totally rideable, but it messes with your mind so close to the finish.

Hope that helps.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Hi John, looking forward to this ride. However, I am considering leaving a lot earlier as I like to take my time on these huge inclines. I am hoping there will be enough room on the shuttle trips back.

No new blood
    I've been looking for a reason to get a larger pack and now I have one. I've had a 100oz bladder stuffed into a 70oz pack, but I measured what I've actually been carrying in a full pack and it's still 70oz.

Thanks for the info

Carnivore
    I'm doing the Fat Tire 40 on Sunday with my daughter and had planned to be there Sat. for the time trial but now I'm thinking this might be a nice "warm up" for the 40. My whole family is on Spring Break now and I was thinking about doing the PP-Kelvin ride mid week like maybe Thursday. Anybody up for that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    My whole family is on Spring Break now and I was thinking about doing the PP-Kelvin ride mid week like maybe Thursday. Anybody up for that?
    I could be up for that. Looks like other plans for the weekend.

Ryan

I am Walt

My rule of thumb for big rides like this is that the forecast high should be no more than 80 degrees. Higher than that, and it becomes a death march. I'd be very, very careful in assessing your readiness and preparedness for this ride, given that the high is forecast to be around 90, and there are extremely limited or no water refill/bailout options. Just my two-cents worth...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    My rule of thumb for big rides like this is that the forecast high should be no more than 80 degrees. Higher than that, and it becomes a death march. I'd be very, very careful in assessing your readiness and preparedness for this ride, given that the high is forecast to be around 90, and there are extremely limited or no water refill/bailout options. Just my two-cents worth...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    I have lived in AZ since 1992, and I have hiked, biked, hunted, and rock climbed all over... And I will have to agree with this statement 100%... I wanted to say something but I didn't want to be a buzzkill.. Thanks for saying it Walt...

However, I believe the high temp forecasts have been decreasing since Friday..

aka Diesel

Due to the heat, I'm gonna have to bail. Bummer! Arizona, and it's bi-polar weather!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'm seeing forecasts ranging anywhere from 83 to 88 for Superior on Sat. As long as one other rider shows up who wants to go to Kelvin, I'm going. Be sure to bring more water than you think you'll need, I'll probably up my capacity to 200oz just because I can. I'll also be bringing some sort of electrolyte drink. Don't forget trail food!!

See you out there.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Carnivore
    You could move the start time up an hour to avoid finishing in mid day heat.

pedaller
    mid day...Hahaha. That's a good one.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Yeah, you and Amy finished "mid-day" last year, right Noel...? ;-)
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    I was kinda thinking the same thing!! I think I'll put up a POLL on the start time, if the masses want to go an hour earlier, then we shall. Either way, it'll be 'warm' down by the river.
    My Two Schillingsworth

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitionSenior View Post
    We just rode from Kelvin trailhead to Cochrane las Sunday; where we crossed the knee deep river and met our pick-up.
    The trail is in great shape, and the scenery is some of the best on the Az Trail.
    Hey TS.

I'm interested in where you crossed. Was it several miles to the west of where the trail dumps down to the river (marked as A - Cochran proper on the map)? If so this doesn't seem any shorter than parking at the kelvin hwy lot several miles to the east of where the trail dumps out at.

I see two possible locations just hundreds of feet from the east bound turn up to Kelvin Hwy that could shave ~5 miles off of the end of the ride. Not totally necessary but the last 5 miles along the river to the car don't look particularly entertaining after a long day on the bike.

Take a look at this map if you would and give me your thoughts. The green line is the trail coming down from PP T/H - Thanks.

EDIT: I see you started at Kelvin not PP for this trip. At any rate any input as to whether or not crossing the river at the red circles (and parking) is viable? -thks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AZSF: Picketpost to Kelvin Shuttle - Sat. 3/16 (Roll Call)-1screenhunter_07-mar.-11-10.42.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'll certainly be there regardless... An earlier start time is always better when it gets warm... Out and back for me for sure, I'll likely go to the 14.5 mile mark or until I am uncomfortable on how I feel or how much water/electrolytes I have left...

btw, I bought both of these items from REI last week, I think this ride will be prime proving grounds on how effective they are...
    Vitalyte Drink Mix - 80 Serving at REI.com
    SaltStick Plus Electrolyte Salt Capsules - 100 Capsules at REI.com

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Hey TS.

I'm interested in where you crossed. Was it several miles to the west of where the trail dumps down to the river (marked as A - Cochran proper on the map)? If so this doesn't seem any shorter than parking at the kelvin hwy lot several miles to the east of where the trail dumps out at.

I see two possible locations just hundreds of feet from the east bound turn up to Kelvin Hwy that could shave ~5 miles off of the end of the ride. Not totally necessary but the last 5 miles along the river to the car don't look particularly entertaining after a long day on the bike.

Take a look at this map if you would and give me your thoughts. The green line is the trail coming down from PP T/H - Thanks.

EDIT: I see you started at Kelvin not PP for this trip. At any rate any input as to whether or not crossing the river at the red circles (and parking) is viable? -thks
    If I'm reading the map correctly, that big circle on the right is where we all parked last year for the end of the shuttle run from the PP TH. It is a big dirt lot, and perfect for parking.
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    If I'm reading the map correctly, that big circle on the right is where we all parked last year for the end of the shuttle run from the PP TH. It is a big dirt lot, and perfect for parking.
    No, that large circle is the bottom of the 6+ mile downhill to the Gila. The green line then follows the river for ~18 miles to where we parked last year.

I know people have parked/crossed @Cochran, just not sure exactly where based on the map.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Here's the POLL, cast a vote.
    My Two Schillingsworth

I am Walt
    No, that large circle is the bottom of the 6+ mile downhill to the Gila. The green line then follows the river for ~18 miles to where we parked last year.

I know people have parked/crossed @Cochran, just not sure exactly where based on the map.
    Ah, gotcha...I think I remember that spot...kind of an intersection of some dirt roads...? After some very rocky stuff...? Anyway, LOTS of draining riding after that point!!
    Ride more; post less...

EDR
    Freeskier is correct on the map interpretation. There is no bridge at the red circles, just river. The bridge crossing near the Kelvin T/H is ~5miles to the east.

Getting to and parking at the red circles looks easily do-able. Crossing? I have no idea. I guess it depends on the width of the river and the flow at the time. It's kind of a long way to scout it out and have to turn around and go back to the hwy just to end up at Kelvin T/H anyway.

I NEED to check this out! Gotta know!

Anyway I'm entertaining the thought of this Sat ride. I've gone out ~10 miles (and back) at PP with no problems but that doesn't mean a whole lot, one day I feel great on the bike and the next ride can be completely opposite. Maybe if I were in better shape.....hmmm..........Naaaa.

mtbr member
    I'm seeing forecasts ranging anywhere from 83 to 88 for Superior on Sat. .
    I think the 88 from weather underground is not correct.... Weather channel and NWS both have the high around 83... And the phoenix high is 90 on this day... 7 degrees lower in Superior is about right...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    This may help here as well. AZ current water flow

and more specifically @Kelvin.

I see that it has spiked up just a tad and is starting to drop off again. A co-worker of mine was able to easily cross the river near Cochran about a month and a half ago. Chad also reported on his last bikepacking trip out there how low the water levels were.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I will be doing the O&B thing to the 10 mile point for sure. I want to ride BCT the next day and this ride destroyed me last year as well as the Ripsey ride a few weeks back. When I'm done, I'll head over to Kelvin and help with shuttles back. I can carry 3 extra bikes but I will need your wheel adapters if you have 15 or 20mm thru axels. And I will have room for your coolers of beer if you want a cold one a the end of the ride.
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi!

I've been wanting to do this ride for a very long time, so I am thrilled to connect.

I have a Honda CRV and can shuttle a rider.

My wife (Denise) will do the out and back from the forest service boundary, drive around and pick up someone.

THanks for organizing!

Ron

mtbr dismember

Repeat March 30?

How about a repeat of this ride March 30th? I've done both ends out and back but due to a lack of shuttle partner I have not been able to do the whole thing. But I would suggest a 7 am meetup since I might be slower than most. It appears you are meeting at PP trail head, driving to Kelvin, and then back to PP? Why not meet at Kelvin and shuttle to PP? Then more time to ride.

It also seems like it might be easier doing Kelvin to PP because the last 11 miles it mostly downhill. For those interested in an out and back from PP, below is the elevation profile for going out about 15 miles, then returning.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    How about a repeat of this ride March 30th? I've done both ends out and back but due to a lack of shuttle partner I have not been able to do the whole thing. But I would suggest a 7 am meetup since I might be slower than most. It appears you are meeting at PP trail head, driving to Kelvin, and then back to PP? Why not meet at Kelvin and shuttle to PP? Then more time to ride.

It also seems like it might be easier doing Kelvin to PP because the last 11 miles it mostly downhill. For those interested in an out and back from PP, below is the elevation profile for going out about 15 miles, then returning.

How bout a mid week first week of April. I had been planning an O&B to about the 15 mile mark on April 1, but I could be flexible. I have never done this trail but it's been on my hit list for a while.

Carnivore
    I'm currently camped with my wife and kids in telegraph canyon just 3/4 mi E. of the AZT. I may just meet you guys on the trail Sat. if I decide to blow off the Fat Tire 40 TT.

mtbr dismember

Doubtful

Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    How bout a mid week first week of April. I had been planning an O&B to about the 15 mile mark on April 1, but I could be flexible. I have never done this trail but it's been on my hit list for a while.
    I doubt I can do other than March 30. I hope someone else will step up for that date.

The Usual Suspects
    I'll be driving in from California to join my friend, Ron (Usual Suspect 1) for this ride. I'm really looking forward to it.

~Dustin
    You gotta pay (climb) to play (down hill)!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    2012 Trek Fuel EX9.9 w/Shimano XTR (XT crank)
    2013 Trek Madone 5.2
    2011 Trek Pure Sport
    My blog

DFL>DNF>DNS

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! TIME CHANGE: MEET @7am Picketpost Trailhead

For those coming out on Sat, the meeting time has been moved up one hour. Meet at the Picketpost trailhead @7am!! See you there!
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2006

2 More PP to Kelvin

Myself, Craig, and a friend, Gary, are looking forward to joining you for the PP to Kelvin shuttle ride. See ya Sat morning!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    I'm currently camped with my wife and kids in telegraph canyon just 3/4 mi E. of the AZT. I may just meet you guys on the trail Sat. if I decide to blow off the Fat Tire 40 TT.
    Chris, where on Telegraph are you camping? How close to the AZT crossing? I wanted to scout out Trough Springs on our ride, it should only be a couple hundred feet north of the crossing on the west side.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Carnivore
    If you look on a topo map you will see a low saddle just north of PP Mtn. There is a cow trail that goes from the AZT east 1/2 mi through the saddle to the rd up telegraph canyon a couple miles north of trough spring. We are camped where that trail meets the rd. Today we hiked from there back almost to PP TH then went up the trail/route to the top of the mountain. Almost 11 miles rt. it was hot on the way back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If anyone would like to carpool from the west side of I-60, or Ahwatukee/Chandler 202 corridor area, email me. beekiller cox net

I am commitiing to the O/B (up to 30 miles). Plan to be back on the road between 1-2 pm.
    Michael
    old guy

No new blood
    I'm in plus one more. We're not sure if it'll be an out and back or the whole enchilada. That'll be a decision to be made before committing to the long descent.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for putting this together John. Certainly one of the finest epic rides around. And the wild flowers were just an added treat to an already awesome ride with incredible views.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    A huge thanks to all who showed up, either for the full Kelvin ride or an OnB ride! Another thank you goes out to the shuttle drivers, you guys rock! I have to also mention Douger-1 here as well, if it wasn't for his generosity I would have had to bail on my own event!! Thanks Doug for the last minute hook-up on the front brake assembly, worked like a champ!! Now I just need a new front derailleur!! Sheesh, the battlewagon is falling apart on me.

Anyway, here are some snaps from the day. **Click on the link at the lower right of the photo for the rest of them**

Thanks to Brett for hanging around until I caught up, strong rider & good company on the trails
    From AZSF: Picketpost to Kelvin 2013

Brett making the plunge to the Gila

Fixing a flat with a view

Golden ground cover

Closing in on the final climb

Poppies were out in force
    My Two Schillingsworth

The Original Suspect
    Thanks for the pics. Brett's a good friend of mine and yes, a very strong rider. A couple of my other buddies were on the ride as well. Hopefully I'll be on board next time.

mtbr member
    Thanks for putting it together John....

Very nice to meet Joe, Brett, and CJ.... Hope to ride with y'all in the future...

-Brian
    Last edited by RajunCajun44; 03-18-2013 at 01:44 PM.

mtbr dismember

Water?

Should I find anybody to accompany me in the next 7-10 days, is there a good reliable water source along the route worth bringing a water filter? I always carry plenty of water but it would be good to know.

EDR

Re: AZSF: Picketpost to Kelvin Shuttle - Sat. 3/16 (Roll Call)

Should I find anybody to accompany me in the next 7-10 days, is there a good reliable water source along the route worth bringing a water filter? I always carry plenty of water but it would be good to know.

Admittedly I have not done the point to point complete shuttle ride myself. But I've gone a pretty long way and I can't imagine there is any sort of water along the route other than when you drop down to Gila river. By that point you're just a few miles from being back at your car anyway. As to whether or not that river can be filtered, I have no idea. But it's there in a pinch if 1 were to need it.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yeah, the only 'reliable' water is the Gila River. According to the AZ Trail website it's safe for filtering. It's a solid 16 miles of trail along the river into Kelvin, some great sections and a few good climbs. Our ride last weekend had temps in the mid/low 80's and I went through roughly 140oz + a bottle. So, if you have the capacity to carry 200oz, I'd recommend it. A couple riders didn't carry that much and ran out. Also, if you're dropping a car down in Kelvin, there's a nice new parking area just after the singletrack dumps you onto a jeep road. After you turn off of Rte 177 at the Kelvin/Riverside sign, follow that road down past the Wilson Trailer court & just before crossing the one-lane bridge over the Gila turn right onto a dirt road. Follow that around a couple of homes, staying left at the white house. This will take you right to the parking area only a couple hundred yards in.

I wish I could join you, but I'll be out there a couple of times in April. Good luck & have fun. I'll keep an eye peeled for your report!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

EDR

Re: AZSF: Picketpost to Kelvin Shuttle - Sat. 3/16 (Roll Call)

. It's a solid 16 miles of trail along the river into Kelvin,
    Holy cow! I thought it was like 7 or 8 miles max.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Holy cow! I thought it was like 7 or 8 miles max.
    Yeah, that could get you into trouble!! It's not the toughest riding, but you sure are whooped when you get there. That last climb by the RR bridge is a beast, the now infamous 'Dale's Demoralizer'!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sorry as this is an old thread but just wanted to know if you have to cross the Gila river or if you just ride next to it? IOW, do I need to get wet, is there a bridge, or is no crossing needed? Thanks!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by chiva View Post
    Sorry as this is an old thread but just wanted to know if you have to cross the Gila river or if you just ride next to it? IOW, do I need to get wet, is there a bridge, or is no crossing needed? Thanks!
    No river crossing along the AZT from Picketpost to Kelvin. The Gila makes for a great water source though, bring a filter. The trail runs parallel to the Gila for the most part, but there is no access to the river except where the AZT makes a 90 degree turn after the long descent to the river basin. Don't follow the AZT here, stay straight, then bear right for a few hundred feet. There's an obvious opening in the trees for easy river access, filter here. Then head back to the AZT for the final 16 miles to Kelvin.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks John!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    John:

So when you say 6000 feet, is that 6000 feet of climbing ? If yes, wow, that is way out of my capable range...
    This post is so old and so funny since I know you would not say that now! HA...
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    You thinking of doing it again in '18?
    Date set yet?
    Likely I'll cross the river to my rv.
    Cheers. TS

mtbr member
    Dang, memories of riding Picketpost to Kelvin with one curmudgeon of a dude with a passion for long rides. RIP Wherewolf.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Dang, memories of riding Picketpost to Kelvin with one curmudgeon of a dude with a passion for long rides. RIP Wherewolf.
    Yeah, I thought that too when I saw his name in the comments. RIP.

TS,
    No plans set for this. If something works out, I'll post up about it. I know I'll be doing this section at least 3 times in the coming months: Bikepacking the Gila100, Queen's Ransom & reverse during the AZT300. The shuttle logistics are a bit of a hassle and I don't know if I'm up for a 4th jaunt when there's so much more out there I want to check out.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    ^^ And don't forget 1.5 times on the Pulverizer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    This post is so old and so funny since I know you would not say that now! HA...
    true dat...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    ^^ And don't forget 1.5 times on the Pulverizer
    Pulverizer riders don't need a stinkin' shuttle.
    My Two Schillingsworth