AZSF MTBR Ride and Info Thread- Mtbr.com
    Tucson, AZ

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! AZSF MTBR Ride and Info Thread

Friday, March 12: Phoenix, South Mountain/T100 rides

SoMo A:

Ride Leader: Chad
    Ride difficulty: A- technical, B+ pace National, Hobert, 24th Street/Morman, Corona de Loma, DC, Tele, National. "Sessioning" uphill technical moves will be done on this ride. Cameras are strongly recommended, but not required. 100+ ounces, we will fill up at Boy Scout water fountain.

Meeting place/time: at 9:00am. Please bring water. It would be nice to chat for a few minutes with all the other group leaders, so make sure to be a little early if you want to meet some people. Bring lots of water and snacks, we can drop stuff off at BV (water and snacks) if we have to.
    Directions to Pima Canyon at South Mountain: Located at 9904 S. 48th Street and Guadalupe Road. Map of South Mtn

SoMo B+++

Ride Leader: ChongoMan (Bob) --National, Holbert, Up Ranger, National, Road to BV , Corona Loma, DC back to Pima
    Ride difficulty: B+++
    Meeting place/time: FIP at 9:00am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above)
    Directions to South Mountain: see above

SoMo B+

Ride Leader: DurtGurl (Kathleen)

Meeting place/time: FIP at 9:00am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above).
    ROUTE: Up Mormon to National to Telegraph. Road back to Buena Vista. Down National. Distance will be about 15 miles (not exactly sure) and time maybe 5 hours. Call this ride an “A-” for technical and a “B---” for pace. Pace will allow for frequent photo, snacking, and ******** stops. Be sure to start with a full 100oz bladder and snacks.

SoMo B-

Ride Leader:

Meeting place/time: at 9:00am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above). Leave after meeting everyone from other groups.
    ROUTE: Up the fire road to javelina, down javeline to east/west loop, then over to DC, with a few options to drop off if it gets long. Otherwise, this is a fun ride, plenty of time to take pictures, enjoy each other’s company, etc.
    SoMo C
    Ride Leader: John Headrick
    Ride difficulty: C (Slower Pace)
    Time: 9, FIP at 9:20 at Pima Parking Lot Pima 2 Corona Loma (ccw) 2 warpaint 2 flintstone benches(post52) 2 sidewinder 2 pima

There will not be a group party after South Mountain rides. Head up to Sedona for the PARTY!

———————————————————————————————

Saturday, March 13 – Sedona SHOW UP TO BIKE N BEAN AT 9AM if you want to ride in Sedona (other than Triple H and C ride). PARK AT IGA OR NEARBY. Please do not park at Bike n Bean for any reason. They do not have room. Park in the city of Oak Village. See AZ Website for more info.

All Sedona rides should aim to be back at Bike n Bean between 2-3. There will be plenty of pizza and beer, but this will guarantee that we all are there for socializing. If you arrive early, the beer will be ready to pour!

All Sedona Rides (unless noted below) will be parking in the Bell Rock Parking Lot (see directions below) and will be congregating at Bike n Bean. Please make sure you read the directions. There will be maps available on MTBR in a few weeks. After parking your car and gearing up, venture to the Bike n Bean to buy some coffee and other goods that you may need, sit back and wait for everyone to show up. If you want to rent a bike in Sedona, Bike n Bean is offering 10% off any rental! Check out their rentals by clicking their link.

Sedona A
    Ride Leader: traildoc, Chalkpaw

This Sedona advanced ride will be referred to as the Triple-H ride. The Triple H names come from the three main trails that make this ride extra special. Those three trails are Hangover, Hog Heaven and High Line. In order to complete this ride we will be connecting multiple trails that will make this ride difficult to follow unless you are very familiar with the Sedona trail system. Be advised that there will be many short sections of this ride that an advanced rider will not be skilled enough to ride the first time through, so be prepared to use good judgment where appropriate. If you suffer from a fear of heights this ride will make you nervous in several sections.

Unlike some of the other AZSF Sedona rides this ride will start at the intersection of Hwy. 179 and Schnebly Hill Rd. There is plenty of parking within ˝ block of the starting point, but the final ending point of the ride will be at Bike & Bean which is approximately ten miles south on Hwy. 179.

Since this ride will be pushing 18 to 20 miles over five to six hours in total, not everyone who starts the ride will want to do the whole ride. There will be numerous bailout points and if you can’t make the 9:00 AM meet time and 9:30 AM start time there will be several other meeting points along the route where people can hook-up with the group.

I will bring a cell phone for linking up at other meeting spots along the way. The second meeting spot will be back at Hwy. 179 and Schnebly Hill Rd. The third will be the Broken Arrow Parking lot. The forth will be the Little Horse parking lot. And the fifth will be the parking lot at the base of Bell Rock.

Due to the length of the ride I am recommending bringing lots of food and at least 100 ounces of liquid. I will have a car parked at the three quarter point that will have bulk apple berry flavored Cytomax for energizing and tap water available to top off hydration packs.

If people have questions about the ride, please feel free to ask those questions on the MTBR thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=592325 and I will try and answer those questions to the best of my ability.

As a side note I ride with dual ply 2.5 tires with a ghetto Stan’s system, and I do so to reduce the chance of flats and a more stable riding platform. Please bring at least two spare tubes if you are a weight weenie and run single-ply tires.
    Sedona B+/B SINGLESPEED RIDE
    Ride Leader: Elrancho66 Mark G
    Proposing a Singlespeed specific advanced ride if folks are interested. Meet at Bike n Bean and head out from there at 9:30. Ride will be approx. 18 miles and cover many of the finer trails in V.O.C. ,4+ hours in length at a brisk pace but a few snack stops built in.........and nobody will get dropped unless they choose to. TENTATIVE RIDE DESCRIPTION : Start at B n B,,,,,,, ride Made in the Shade to Slim Shady, out to the HT/Templeton junction,,,,,,,,,,,,HT over to and under the fancy new bridge, hook up with Little Horse,,,,,,,,,,,continue up to Chicken Point,,,,,,,,,,,onto Broken Arrow until we arrive at the Hogs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,traverse the Hogs over to Mystic, Mystic to Chapel............Chapel back over to Little Horse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LH to LLama,,,,,,,,,regroup and discuss how to finish up,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ride subject to change as needed,,,,,,,,,FEEDBACK?

Sedona C Ride
    10:00 at Bike and Bean. Get some coffee and head out on the ride at around 10:20

Bell Rock Parking Lot Directions: Take the Highway 179 exit that leads to Sedona. Seven miles in you will encounter not Sedona proper but The Village of Oak Creek (VOC).
    Travel through the round abouts until you get near the last light, a street called Bell Rock Blvd. Just before the light, on the right side of the road you will see Absolute Bikes and an Ace Hardware Store. BUT, instead of turning right into that little parking lot, directly across on the left side of the road is a big parking lot, which y’all should use. There is a two story strip mall building there. The one business I really like there is a Thai restaurant. Park the car. From there, once all geared up, carefully cross the road to the Circle K. From there ride up to Bike n Bean. Its a few hundred yards from the Circle K. No need to purchase a silly red rock pass. Save your $5 for pizza and beer.

Post Ride Party at Bike n Bean in Sedona. Free Beer and $10 pizza.

We will be meeting at Bike n Bean again this year for the after party. Bike n Bean is once again buying our beer! The only thing is that we have to buy the pizza, so bring some cash! Bike n Bean has been sponsoring the AZSF for years, please do your part by supporting them with merchandise, coffee, and passing the good word along to everyone.

If you need a place for lodging in Sedona, check the FAQs link above or check out this link.

Free Camping will be available at Beaver Flats south of town both nights (Friday and Saturday night). We will be driving up from Phoenix after the party, setting up camp, and doing the Sedona rides the next day. Since BCT is close to Sedona, we will be finishing off the Oak Creek keg that Bike n Bean has given us (remember to support our sponsors), then going back to camp to continue the social/happy hour. All parties are welcome; there is plenty of space. After turning on Bear Flats, make your first left. A map will be posted and I will have copies for those interested in camping.

———————————————————————————————

Sunday, March 14: Black Canyon

This is going to be one of the biggest rides of the entire week. If you want to go with certain people during the ride, make sure to try to arrive early. We will start grouping the riders a little after 9am. There is plenty of place to park, so you do not need to worry about parking. There is a post-ride gathering at Rock Springs about 200 yards from the trailhead. They are famous for two things: their amazing pies and very slow wait times, but the beer is cheap! Eat a little bit before the ride if you plan on waiting, or just come join us for beer. Bring some cash to make it easier to separate the checks if you plan on eating.

Black Canyon Trail: B and C rides
    Ride Leader: Chad/Walt / Tiffany(early group leader)
    Start Location: BCT trail head at 9am Walt's faster group, Chad's B-- picture taking group will be leaving at 9:30, taking pictures, looking at artifacts, etc. Other rides will start as people arrive. I will be coordinating rides to leave every 10-15 minutes.

Plan is to hook up during the ride with some of the groups, snacks at one of the river crossings. Depending on water level, you may have to get your feet wet. Plan accordingly.

Directions to BCT trail head…Directions: From Interstate 17, either direction; take exit 242 (Black Canyon City and Rock Springs), turn west, proceed to stop sign, turn north (right) on the frontage road, drive about 300 ft to the first road on the left, Warner Rd, and turn left. Drive about 1300 ft to the first cross road, turn right and proceed to the parking area on the right near the end of the road, about 400 ft.

Optional BCT Rides--SEE MTBR FORUM FOR INFO.

Post-ride Food and Beer at Rock Springs.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 03-11-2010 at 08:48 PM.

aka Diesel

Can't I just do it all??

My head is spinning. This is going to involve a lot of coin-tossing. But I can't wait. If this year was anything like last year's SF, it promises to be memorable! BCT, is a given.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    If this year was anything like last year's SF, it promises to be memorable!
    That it was!

Chad, I can help sweep/lead any ride I go on. I probably can only make the weekend rides and might do the BCT workday on Sat. I just don't know. so I can't commit. but will help any way i can.

b
    b

Just another half mile...
    I'm stil up for leading the Wednesday Hairball Margarita Night Ride (WHBMNR).

Shred...it's the new drug
    I'm offering up a Wed. Mornin' Pre-Fling Somo Shuttle if anyone wants to join. We got the transportation and the group leaders to show you flingers around somo on a day with little to no hikers We've been doing wed. mornin' shuttles for over a year now and we always have a great time! We might even have a little breakfast burrito break in between runs if we get enough interest. Please stay tuned to the wed. mornin' shuttle thread for more info!!! I do plan on hitting some of the other fling rides, but it all depends on wifey's work schedule...

mtbr member
    I'm in for Fri shuttles. I can lead, follow or drive. Also, I'm in for Sedona, hangover, etc. I haven't ridden these trails, but am a good sweeper.

My other ride is your mom
    And I'm still in for leading the Hawes whirrlygig on Wednesday night. Send me a pm if you will be attending.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    And I'm still in for leading the Hawes whirrlygig on Wednesday night. Send me a pm if you will be attending.
    I will be with you man, either sweeping or just being one of the riders. See you there. Post up a time later. I think last year was the first time I went down the mine trail at night.
    I need to ride more and work less.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    The Sweetwater link and motionbase link does not work.
    Do you have any Garmin GPS (xxx.gdb) files for these trips?
    I am a slow rider and like to know I can find my way back home without slowing the fast riders down...
    thanks
    Bob in Denver

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

I am Walt
    I am going to try to make this one...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt

BCT Sunday Ride

I'll help lead the BCT ride on Sunday. What I'd like to do is take out a fast, early group with the intent to do the "lollipop" (BCT south to Little Pan Loop, then back) in 3:30 or faster...assuming the crossings aren't too FUBAR'd. So per Chad's listed times, maybe FIP right at 9 am...we'll see. I'd call it an A- pace...
    Ride more; post less...

Glutton for punishment
    I think I'm going with you this year Dale.

Fight the Kakistocracy!

You should be fine

If you are going to the Thursday 4:45 C ride, you shouldn't have any problems. I am going, and plan on printing a few maps for folks.

TucsonMTB link for trail info post

Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackLovr
    The Sweetwater link and motionbase link does not work.
    Do you have any Garmin GPS (xxx.gdb) files for these trips?
    I am a slow rider and like to know I can find my way back home without slowing the fast riders down...
    thanks
    Bob in Denver
    Last edited by veelz; 02-18-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

Disgruntled Peccary
    I'm planning on that one as well, simply because it works out well for me for work. The area's really easy to find your way around on in the first place. Not too many worries at all
    mike

"Yabut"
    The Thursday B ride, on the AZ Trail (in Tucson), will only take place if there are enough people that want to do it. Please post up if you are interested. Otherwise, you will find me on the A ride, La Milagrosa. Thanks!
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Powered by ice cream.
    Wed ride in Prescott with a guided rock crawling tour through the Dells should also be offered as an option. I will be gone that week but could probably find a leader if there is interest.

If we get hit with snow in the next three weeks, it will be a better option than the current plan. If no snow, could offer two rides?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Let's see, if I had to set my schedule right now it would be:

March 10th
    Morning - Shuttles with Bob, Andy, and the Bergundy Braap Braap Beauty
    Evening – Hairball at PMP

March 11th
    Bug Springs-Prison Camp-La Milagrosa

March 12th
    SOMO B+

March 13th
    An easier ride in Sedona. I need to recover. Or maybe I stay home that day.

Sunday, March 14
    Black Canyon or Goat Camp.

Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is there going to be a "B" group doing Milagrosa?

Just not sure if Mike can keep up with me;-) -Dre

Kathleen in AZ
    I plan to be a random participant this year, not a ride leader as in the past. I will also have Tim and Gary from Ohio in tow again. Not sure yest what rides we are up for this year but I'm thinking Gary has some demons to slay on Milagrosa so we'll probably be down on Thursday.

Thanks to Chad for keeping the Spring Fling alive!!

im4Gsus
    ok, i'll be "leading" the C-riders (Slow Intermediate Riders) at Papago Park wednesday at 5pm (meet at 4:45pm) and T100 from Aunt Chilada's friday morning at 8am. (new location. last year we did T100 from 7th street.)
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Wed ride in Prescott with a guided rock crawling tour through the Dells should also be offered as an option. I will be gone that week but could probably find a leader if there is interest.

If we get hit with snow in the next three weeks, it will be a better option than the current plan. If no snow, could offer two rides?
    Chatted with Billy and going to talk to a few more Prescottians to see what to do...

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I plan to be a random participant this year, not a ride leader as in the past. I will also have Tim and Gary from Ohio in tow again. Not sure yest what rides we are up for this year but I'm thinking Gary has some demons to slay on Milagrosa so we'll probably be down on Thursday.

I think Goat Camp on Sunday is calling your name .

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    I think Goat Camp on Sunday is calling your name .
    I'm thinking Greenie-Bugs-Milli on Thurs, rest and recover on Fri, Traildoc's Triple H on Sat, rest and recover on Sunday

"Yabut"
    I'm thinking Greenie-Bugs-Milli on Thurs, rest and recover on Fri, Traildoc's Triple H on Sat, rest and recover on Sunday
    I'm thinkin' this sounds like a good plan.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

Chilling out
    DG is learning. I remember how there was almost a meltdown last year. ;^)

mtbr member
    Traildoc's Triple H on Sat
    Is gonna be a A$$ kicker. Did 2 of them today and its a workout .
    SHITBIRD

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    DG is learning. I remember how there was almost a meltdown last year. ;^)
    almost????

Chilling out
    almost????
    Well, I was trying to be gentle.

You ARE one of my favorite people on this planet, probably the the solar system but I haven't explored that aspect of your greatness yet.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Is gonna be a A$$ kicker. Did 2 of them today and its a workout .
    Madmax will be heading up to Green Mtn with you all

High Alpine Adventure
    I second this DirtyGal... I know organizing MtBikers is like herding cats and Chad really shows the patience of Job to get this thing together. I also know he doesn't do it alone so here's to ALL of the other people who help "git 'er done"!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    I second this DirtyGal... I know organizing MtBikers is like herding cats and Chad really shows the patience of Job to get this thing together. I also know he doesn't do it alone so here's to ALL of the other people who help "git 'er done"!!!
    Kinds words. In really is a huge group of us, especially all those volunteers.

Anyone that is interested in the AZSF t-shirt, check out this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=594674

mtbr member
    I really want to do the BCT but my wife is due sometime in March and I think it would be unforgivable if I was out riding when the baby was born. Damn Damn Damn!

slower than you
    where's elrancho's ss sedona ride going on the 13th?

i don't think i see it on the list above... i wanna go on that ride!
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    I'll lead a SoMo B++ ride on Friday if you still need it Chad.

I'd like to alter the route a bit. maybe something like
    National, Holbert, Up Ranger, National, Road to BV , Corona Loma, DC back to Pima

mtbr member
    May 2007

you tell me what you need.............

Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    where's elrancho's ss sedona ride going on the 13th?

i don't think i see it on the list above... i wanna go on that ride!
    rocky, i doubt you've heard of most of the trails we plan to ride but pm and i'll clue you in
    super sweet V.O.C red durt trails are the plan

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    I'll lead a SoMo B++ ride on Friday if you still need it Chad.

I'd like to alter the route a bit. maybe something like
    National, Holbert, Up Ranger, National, Road to BV , Corona Loma, DC back to Pima
    Sweet. We could use another leader on Friday. I may also be doing a B ride depending on demand that day. I will add it to the list

banned
    Sep 2007
    Corrected links for Tom's Thumb.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7813739

mtbr member
    Sweet. We could use another leader on Friday. I may also be doing a B ride depending on demand that day. I will add it to the list

"SoMo A:

Ride difficulty: A

Meeting place/time: at 8:00. All SoMo rides have been changed to 8:00 due to the heat."

Huh? What heat?

Any chance we can push the start out to 10:00?
    Last edited by Evil Patrick; 02-25-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    "SoMo A:

Ride difficulty: A

Meeting place/time: at 8:00. All SoMo rides have been changed to 8:00 due to the heat. "

Huh? What heat?

Any chance we can push the start out to 10:00?
    9am is the start time. This document is still a work in progress, so thank you for letting me know. I will change it. BTW, we could use some more ride leaders with more options if you want to lead a ride

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Looking forward to getting something more secure under the tyres - and reducing riding garments by two thirds

Last Saturday

Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    What time are the BCT rides on Sunday coming back in? I need to be back in Chandler by 2 or 3 at the latest.

I really wanted to ride the AZSF for the first time but I'm out of town on most of these days this year.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    What time are the BCT rides on Sunday coming back in? I need to be back in Chandler by 2 or 3 at the latest.

I really wanted to ride the AZSF for the first time but I'm out of town on most of these days this year.
    If my group leaves at 9, and we take 3.5 hours (fast pace), we'd be back at 12:30...maybe 1 pm if sh*t happens. So you'd make it, but it's a hard ride at that pace, so don't cramp.

Edit: You can also turn around at Little Pan, and save an hour, and make it back in plenty of time. That's a good ride, in and of itself...
    Ride more; post less...

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    Looking forward to getting something more secure under the tyres - and reducing riding garments by two thirds
    You're a crazed man Graham!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    If my group leaves at 9, and we take 3.5 hours (fast pace), we'd be back at 12:30...maybe 1 pm if sh*t happens. So you'd make it, but it's a hard ride at that pace, so don't cramp.

Edit: You can also turn around at Little Pan, and save an hour, and make it back in plenty of time. That's a good ride, in and of itself...
    There will be other slower groups leaving after this group also. It is good to have different levels. I will be leading a B- group that wants to stop and take pictures, look at the artifacts, flowers, etc.

My other ride is your mom
    For those folks doing the Wed night, Hawes Pre-Fling Ride....I won't be able to lead it due to a level II avi course in silverton that week.....good trade IMO....but I'm still bummed I'll be missing out on all the warm weather fun. Liteandfast will be leading the ride as he did last year....have an arrogant bastard for me at Joe's afterwords.

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Well, I was trying to be gentle.

You ARE one of my favorite people on this planet, probably the the solar system but I haven't explored that aspect of your greatness yet.

Well, pooh! Where does that leave me? Actually, DG is one of my favorite-est people in the UNIVERSE!
    ~~~

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    I really want to do the BCT but my wife is due sometime in March and I think it would be unforgivable if I was out riding when the baby was born. Damn Damn Damn!
    Next time you must pre-plan conceptions of your future birthing of mini-CranyMonkeys to avoid any kind of riding event. Especially AZSF!
    ~~~

mtbr member
    BTW, we could use some more ride leaders with more options if you want to lead a ride
    If I knew Sedona or PHX like I now know Tucson, I'd lead something. Seems like all the
    Tucson rides are already spoken for. Well, the 50-year pre-ride doesn't seem to have a
    leader, but I don't think I can make it up there in time after work on Wednesday.

No...Wednesday night I'll be out at Starr Pass to [strikethrough]ruin[/strikethough]...err..join
    your "A" ride. BTW - I have a suggestion for a leg of that route. N-MOAT

EDIT: See:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=598832
    Last edited by Evil Patrick; 03-09-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

banned
    Sep 2007
    For those folks doing the Wed night, Hawes Pre-Fling Ride....I won't be able to lead it due to a level II avi course in silverton that week.....good trade IMO....but I'm still bummed I'll be missing out on all the warm weather fun. Liteandfast will be leading the ride as he did last year....have an arrogant bastard for me at Joe's afterwords.
    Another Stone's Fan, eh? Not talking Rolling, either.

mtbr member
    If I knew Sedona or PHX like I now know Tucson, I'd lead something. Seems like all the
    Tucson rides are already spoken for. Well, the 50-year pre-ride doesn't seem to have a
    leader, but I don't think I can make it up there in time after work on Wednesday.

No...Wednesday night I'll be out at Starr Pass to [strikethrough]ruin[/strikethough]...err..join
    your "A" ride. BTW - I have a suggestion for a leg of that route. N-MOAT
    You can lead greenie to millie then . Doesn't seem to be much call out for this ride. I'll head down with a little group and tag along.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    You can lead greenie to millie then . Doesn't seem to be much call out for this ride. I'll head down with a little group and tag along.
    I suppose there are just too many people that let their day jobs ruin their lives!

I hope Greenie is OK. No one that I know of has been up there yet this year. Could be
    snow. Could be dead-fall. Could be nothing to worry about (except its ever present middle
    "hump" ).

Whatever we're dealt, we'll make it a good ride! Of course, we'll have to leave a "helimech
    was here" somewhere along the route.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

"Yabut"
    I hope Greenie is OK. No one that I know of has been up there yet this year. Could be
    snow. Could be dead-fall. Could be nothing to worry about (except its ever present middle
    "hump" ).
    Greenie will be deep in snow. Looks like the ride will start at Bugs Spring. Any thought to using SW Trekking as the shuttle?
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    Greenie will be deep in snow. Looks like the ride will start at Bugs Spring. Any thought to using SW Trekking as the shuttle?

Let me call J and see what he would charge.

"Yabut"
    Let me call J and see what he would charge.
    I think he normally charges $15 per person, and needs at least 6 people. The 6 people is no problem.
    It's so nice not to have to waste an hour driving back up the mountain.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

Coors, the american beer.
    just talked work into hooking up friday off, so im out thurs at 1230p leaving from cupertino, ca .... i was at the fling in 05, 06, had a black accord the first year and the silver integra the second, ..... im stoked!!!!!!11 ... still looking into relocation to the phx area and this trip will help facilitate that
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Have fun with the AZSF guys! If it wasn't for my work schedule and 2 guys being out of office right now, I'd be fixin' to head down there for this.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    What's the BCT like? Lots of climbs? Tech? I live way on the north side of town so it would be ideal for me. I'm just not in primo shape yet. I'm getting better and making strides, but I wouldn't want to hold anyone back. What's the mileage like on this ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    I live way on the north side of town so it would be ideal for me.
    North side of what town?
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    North side of what town?
    Far north Peoria/Glendale area.

mtbr member
    Far north Peoria/Glendale area.
    Ahh...yes. If you were on the north side of Page, the story would probably be different.

And if you were on the north side of Black Canyon City, you'd have no excuses!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    If contractions haven't started just carry a cell. As the trail's near I-17 Verizon should work.

Will make a few rides, so many sweet choices. Bug-Millie!
    Anyone wish to carpool to Sedona?
    agmtb

"Yabut"
    What's the BCT like? Lots of climbs? Tech?
    There are some climbs. But they are not extended, and not horribly steep. It's a great Singelspeed trail. Not technical, no worries.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    There are some climbs. But they are not extended, and not horribly steep. It's a great Singelspeed trail. Not technical, no worries.
    I still don't understand how you guys get on and off of a bike that only goes a single speed.
    I guess it wouldn't be too hard to do if the single speed it always goes is a little slower than
    you can comfortably jog. So, as the the riderless, singlespeed bike comes rolling up, you
    start jogging along side and jump on? And when you're done riding that single speed, you
    jump off and set her free as you jog away?
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

Tucson, AZ
    Lemmon rides: a shuttle would be $15/person. Would people be interested in this?

"Yabut"
    Lemmon rides: a shuttle would be $15/person. Would people be interested in this?
    Yeah, not having to drive back up the mountain would be nice.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up. You happen to know the approx distance of this ride? I'd say I'm above average with my riding ability, but still not yet in what I would say, great shape.

Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the heads up. You happen to know the approx distance of this ride? I'd say I'm above average with my riding ability, but still not yet in what I would say, great shape.

~30 miles with 4k of climbing for the Full Meal Deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Sedona C

This will be my Second time riding in Sedona. What does the "Sedona C" ride consist of?

Need more cowbell
    I may just do the BCT starter kit......cut the little pan loop out of the ride.

mtbr member

GO GET'EM GARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hey DG! Wish i could I join you this year! I know bear isn't going but i'm actually going to be there Friday March 12th through March 21 riding my ass off as much as I can. My friend Matt and Eden invited me out...They live here in Austin for a few months and are from there...going back to live in Sedona soon. Riding and shuddling S. Mt all next wkend and then doing Sedona for three days From Sunday night to Wed.. then back to Phx til Sat night the following week....maybe we can hook up! I had such a blast last you with you guys! My butt is going to be soooo sore.

Hey evil i'll try to contact you and Tracy!! Maybe we can hook up!

see ya

Kris
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm probably with Whiskers on BCT Lite. Pretty much been a lurker on MTBR-looking forward to meeting you guys.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Here's my AZSF plan, Wednesday Hawes, Thursday work yeah, Friday South Mountain, Saturday Sedona. I want to do part of the TD's HHH, but I'll be leaving from home (Mesa) on the morning of so 7:30am is not going to happen, I plan to ride something in Sedona though so I'll have to see about that. Sunday is up in the air, maybe just rest.

Tucson, AZ
    Free Camping on Beaver Flats on Friday and Saturday in Sedona. This is where the Post-ride Friday Party is going to be. Please come up and camp to join the community of AZSF mtbikers!

Directions: North on 179 to Beaver Flats Rd, turn left (west) and take your 2nd right. Drive until the pavement ends, head north/left on dirt road until you see the cars. Click here to see the map.

mtbr member
    Not sure of the Sedona rides, but the only one getting attention right now seems to be the
    one discussing the "Triple H" ride.

Personally, I'd like to start in Oak Creek and roll HL and High on the Hog first, mainly
    because I've never done High on the Hog. If there's still "gas in the tank" and time on the
    clocks after those loops, then I'll load up and drive to Schnebly to do the HO loop.

Has anyone here done High on the Hog? Of those that have done it, would anyone be
    interested in guiding that leg for an A (or A+, or A- ...I don't care) ride that starts in Oak
    Creek? I can easily lead the Slim Shady / HL side of this ride. And I can get us over to
    the Broken Arrow / Sub Rock area. I just don't know the High on the Hog route.

Any interest?

Any takers?

EDIT: See:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=598832
    Last edited by Evil Patrick; 03-09-2010 at 08:40 AM.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Just checking, but from what I see above, there are no SOMO shuttles on friday, correct?

Dave
    Free Camping on Beaver Flats on Friday and Saturday in Sedona. This is where the Post-ride Friday Party is going to be. Please come up and camp to join the community of AZSF mtbikers!

Directions: North on 179 to Beaver Flats Rd, turn left (west) and take your 2nd right. Drive until the pavement ends, head north/left on dirt road until you see the cars. Click here to see the map.

I'll be there again Chad same place different tent. I think I'll be sleepin in the new Subie.
    Hope we don't awake to gunfire again.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by rideflatout
    Just checking, but from what I see above, there are no SOMO shuttles on friday, correct?
    Correct, they are just having them on Wednesday morning (as normal) this year.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks!

If there is enough interest for some Friday morning shuttles I might be able to make it happen with the burgandy braap braap van. Post up if you want some shuttle action on friday....

I am Walt

Re the Sunday BCT Rides...

Sunday, March 14: Black Canyon

This is going to be one of the biggest rides of the entire week. If you want to go with certain people during the ride, make sure to try to arrive early. We will start grouping the riders a little after 9am. There is plenty of place to park, so you do not need to worry about parking. There is a post-ride gathering at Rock Springs about 200 yards from the trailhead. They are famous for two things: their amazing pies and very slow wait times, but the beer is cheap! Eat a little bit before the ride if you plan on waiting, or just come join us for beer. Bring some cash to make it easier to separate the checks if you plan on eating.

Black Canyon Trail: B and C rides
    Ride Leader: Chad/Max/Vern?/Walt / Tiffany(early group leader)
    Start Location: BCT trail head at 9am Walt's faster group, Chad's B-- picture taking group will be leaving at 9:30, taking pictures, looking at artifacts, etc. Other rides will start as people arrive. I will be coordinating rides to leave every 10-15 minutes.

Plan is to hook up during the ride with some of the groups, snacks at one of the river crossings. Depending on water level, you may have to get your feet wet. Plan accordingly.

Directions to BCT trail head…Directions: From Interstate 17, either direction; take exit 242 (Black Canyon City and Rock Springs), turn west, proceed to stop sign, turn north (right) on the frontage road, drive about 300 ft to the first road on the left, Warner Rd, and turn left. Drive about 1300 ft to the first cross road, turn right and proceed to the parking area on the right near the end of the road, about 400 ft.

Post-ride Food and Beer at Rock Springs..
    Here's some cool info:

- Hydrograph of the river's Stage/Flow:
    http://ahps2.wrh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...0,7,8,2,9,15,6
    We would be screwed if the ride were mid-week this week, as we want that blue line low and flat. As a point of reference, after the epic rains in January, the Stage hit 27.55 feet (would have been almost DOUBLE the scale of that chart), which was the highest ever recorded there, and was "Major Flood Stage." It completely destroyed the landscape around the crossings...if you haven't been there since that flood, you're in for a surprise.

- USGS water flow data in table format:
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dv?cb...rred_module=sw
    We want the left column, the discharge (in cubic feet per second), to be at or below 150, or maybe a bit more. Again, look back on Jan. 21-22 for the amount of water that was flowing during the epic rains/flood.

Just cool stuff to look at and play around with. We should be golden for Sunday as there is no rain forecast after Tuesday, and the water level will go back down to OK levels. You WILL get your feet (and ankles and shins and maybe knees) wet, though...

I'm looking forward to this...

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    BCT was awesome this weekend!!

fyi.... but a couple of the river crossings were waist deep on Saturday not sure how that compares to the blue line

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    BCT was awesome this weekend!!

fyi.... but a couple of the river crossings were waist deep on Saturday not sure how that compares to the blue line
    For a BCT noobie who is planning on doing the ride on Sunday, any things one should bring for river crossings? Or same assumption won't be waist deep on Sunday?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    For a BCT noobie who is planning on doing the ride on Sunday, any things one should bring for river crossings? Or same assumption won't be waist deep on Sunday?
    I just trudge across in my bike shoes, then slosh my way along after each, until my shoes dry out a bit. Some people have brought trash bags to cover to up above their knees, and others bring sandles (e.g. Teva's) to switch into for the crossings. Still others have just gone barefoot...all depends on what you feel like dealing with. And the water is COLD...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Bct

Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    We went hiking up there on Sunday, just down to the 1st crossing starting from Rock Springs. I was shocked to see how much change/damage was done by the raging river. The far side bank is completely different! Also, the river was too high for my liking on Sunday and I would not have attempted to cross it. I'm also 5'3 and a buck something so having to carry my bike up over my head while wading through waist high water is not something I'd be good at! I'm not trying to scare anyone, but it just might be too tough for some.

About what to wear to cross, I'd suggest just crossing with cycling shoes on. I've done it barefoot and with flip flops (dont try that) and with my cycling shoes on worked the best.

Tiff

mtbr member
    I just trudge across in my bike shoes, then slosh my way along after each, until my shoes dry out a bit. Some people have brought trash bags to cover to up above their knees, and others bring sandles (e.g. Teva's) to switch into for the crossings. Still others have just gone barefoot...all depends on what you feel like dealing with. And the water is COLD...
    How many water crossings? Also, I was planning on bringing my bigger bike just because I don't have a XC, but is it SS friendly? I probably will still bring the big bike, as I've had absolutely no desire to ride my SS since the Old Pueblo.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    How many water crossings? Also, I was planning on bringing my bigger bike just because I don't have a XC, but is it SS friendly? I probably will still bring the big bike, as I've had absolutely no desire to ride my SS since the Old Pueblo.
    Four crossings, and BCT is an excellent SS trail. Forget the big bike...
    Ride more; post less...

Hey Chad, you are a little off on the milage and climbing for the BCT Little Pan lolipop ride. Closer to 22 miles and around 3200' of climbing. See MAP for profile and milage.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Hey Chad, you are a little off on the milage and climbing for the BCT Little Pan lolipop ride. Closer to 22 miles and around 3200' of climbing. See MAP for profile and milage.
    Ops...thanks for clarifying. I just posted from memory.

Here is my GPX that I have for the route should anyone want to upload it before the ride.

With yesterdays rain the river is now ruinning at 1500 cfs, which is way to high to cross. With rain and snow forecasted for the Bradshaws on Tuesday, I doubt that the river will recede to a level by Sunday that would be safe for everyone to cross comfortably. Depending on how wide the river is and where you cross, flows less the 150 might be safe to cross. A group rode out there on Saturday and the flows were around 120 cfs and the depth at the first crossing was around knee deep to give you an idea.

If the flows are still to high by Sunday, I would suggest heading further up north and ride the northern section from Bumble Bee road up to Hidden Treasure Mine. This would be a 20-mile out and back ride and around 1800 fet of climbing. Great SS ride for you SS'ers. See MAP. The trail extends another 1.6 miles north to Hidden Treasure MIne from where is it shows it ending on the map. It's a great ride and there are no river crossings. The only thing is that it is not signed and it is difficult to follow the route where it follows the jeep roads crossing Bumble Bee Road, but if you take a copy of my map, you shouldn't have any trouble finding your way. There is a large dirt parking area to park 1.2 miles down from the Bumble Bee road interchange with I-17that is wasy to get to (See map). Paved road all the way.

Need more cowbell
    I would suggest heading further up north and ride the northern section from Bumble Bee road up to Hidden Treasure Mine. This would be a 20-mile out and back ride and around 1800 fet of climbing.
    What is this portion like? i.e. rocks, exposure, etc....

I am Walt
    With yesterdays rain the river is now ruinning at 1500 cfs, which is way to high to cross. With rain and snow forecasted for the Bradshaws on Tuesday, I doubt that the river will recede to a level by Sunday that would be safe for everyone to cross comfortably. Depending on how wide the river is and where you cross, flows less the 150 might be safe to cross. A group rode out there on Saturday and the flows were around 120 cfs and the depth at the first crossing was around knee deep to give you an idea.

If the flows are still to high by Sunday, I would suggest heading further up north and ride the northern section from Bumble Bee road up to Hidden Treasure Mine. This would be a 20-mile out and back ride and around 1800 fet of climbing. Great SS ride for you SS'ers. See MAP. The trail extends another 1.6 miles north to Hidden Treasure MIne from where is it shows it ending on the map. It's a great ride and there are no river crossings. The only thing is that it is not signed and it is difficult to follow the route where it follows the jeep roads crossing Bumble Bee Road, but if you take a copy of my map, you shouldn't have any trouble finding your way. There is a large dirt parking area to park 1.2 miles down from the Bumble Bee road interchange with I-17that is wasy to get to (See map). Paved road all the way.
    Hmmmm...here's a link to the real-time data:
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb...te_no=09512800

We will need to make a call on Friday or Saturday re this ride, so watch this thread. That said, if we need to go north, I don't know that route, other than from Dale's map. I'm happy to lead a route-finding ride, but would love to have someone there who knows the route.

Stay tuned and we'll figure it out...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    make sure you switch the option to Graph w stats. in this view you can see that the current discharge has dropped from the 1500 cfs that Dale saw to

Most recent instantaneous value: 1,370 03-08-2010 15:50 MST
    b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    We went hiking up there on Sunday, just down to the 1st crossing starting from Rock Springs. I was shocked to see how much change/damage was done by the raging river. The far side bank is completely different! Also, the river was too high for my liking on Sunday and I would not have attempted to cross it. I'm also 5'3 and a buck something so having to carry my bike up over my head while wading through waist high water is not something I'd be good at! I'm not trying to scare anyone, but it just might be too tough for some.

About what to wear to cross, I'd suggest just crossing with cycling shoes on. I've done it barefoot and with flip flops (dont try that) and with my cycling shoes on worked the best.

Tiff
    Are the trees gone upstream? Was a beautiful spot.
    agmtb

A lot less exposure and less rocky. Most of the trail is less than a year old. The only real technical part is the jeep road section that s drops down to Bumble Bee and will be a little challenging in sopt to get back up. The only grannygear section. A little bumby in spots since it hasn't been riden in yet, but overall a great trail!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    What is this portion like? i.e. rocks, exposure, etc....

Walt, it's not that hard to follow. From the parking area, pick up the trail on the north side of Bumble Bee road and ride north. There are no turns on the singletrack. Once you get to a well travel forest road, cross over and head downhill on a old rocky jeep road. (marked in green on the map). 3/4 of the way down you will tee into another old jeep raod, turn left and you will shortly pop out onto Bumble Bee Road. (Make a mental note to turn at the MP 4 sign on the way back). head north on Bumble Bee Road and take the first left past the bridge (turn at the 15 ton sign). follow the jeep road up and around and cross down throguh a stream crossing and climb back up to the north until yo uget to a green gate. go through the gate and the trail starts up agin to the NE of the gate. Look for the cairns. from the gate it is a steady moderate climb and roll stowards the end at Hidden Treasure Mine. Turn around and zip back down. Oh, take the map!

We will need to make a call on Friday or Saturday re this ride, so watch this thread. That said, if we need to go north, I don't know that route, other than from Dale's map. I'm happy to lead a route-finding ride, but would love to have someone there who knows the route.

Coors, the american beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    If there is enough interest for some Friday morning shuttles I might be able to make it happen with the burgandy braap braap van. Post up if you want some shuttle action on friday....
    i want to shuttle SOMO friday! i didnt know you guys stopped doing this last fling i came to was 06!
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Tucson, AZ
    C Sedona Ride has been added. 10am at Bike & Bean for some coffee and head out at 1020ish.

High Alpine Adventure

SOMO Cookout?

Does this mean the cookout at the SOMO Group Pavilion is not happening this year? It was a great time last year, but I can understand if folks want to bee-line to Sedona. 7:00AM rolls around pretty damn early!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Does this mean the cookout at the SOMO Group Pavilion is not happening this year? It was a great time last year, but I can understand if folks want to bee-line to Sedona. 7:00AM rolls around pretty damn early!!!
    Yes, that is the plan. The goal being to encourage people to head up to Sedona early this year (out-of-towners and Phoenecians alike) to have the BBQ and party there, stay both nights to camp. Free PBR and a huge, warm fire should lure people up there. I hope that this will bring more people OUTSIDE instead of heading back home after SoMo. It is also something different; we are trying it out this year and welcome any feedback

From what I understand from my Phx source, no alcohol is permitted on those sites anymore.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    i want to shuttle SOMO friday! i didnt know you guys stopped doing this last fling i came to was 06!
    If shuttles don't happen on Friday then you could always join up for Shortbus Sunday shuttles... 7AM at Scorpion Gulch. Bring ~$5/run for shortbusjames!

So far there's two or three for friday shuttles. If we can get a few more, I'd be willing to bring the van and trailer out. Start at 8:30? Post up if ya'll want in...

If you're in town come out tomarrow for the official wed. morning spring fling somo shuttle day!!!! 7am at the scorpion gulch!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Where is C ride headed?

from b&b what trails and how long?
    thx

Dave
    After seeing Dale's msg yesterday I think I'd like to start a ride at Bumble Bee and head north. I have done the southern loop and I want to see something a little different. So if there are any takers let me know. Bumblebee around 930 or 10 am Sunday

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone know the route and mileage for the Sedona C ride??

Dave
    Yes, that is the plan. The goal being to encourage people to head up to Sedona early this year (out-of-towners and Phoenecians alike) to have the BBQ and party there, stay both nights to camp. Free PBR and a huge, warm fire should lure people up there. I hope that this will bring more people OUTSIDE instead of heading back home after SoMo. It is also something different; we are trying it out this year and welcome any feedback

From what I understand from my Phx source, no alcohol is permitted on those sites anymore.
    I'll be up there at the camping spot again. See you there.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    After seeing Dale's msg yesterday I think I'd like to start a ride at Bumble Bee and head north. I have done the southern loop and I want to see something a little different. So if there are any takers let me know. Bumblebee around 930 or 10 am Sunday

Lower mileage + less climbing... = count me in!

I have a feeling I may be a little slower than normal after Saturday....

Let'er Buck
    I may be info for this one as well

mtbr member
    OK, well this week has sucked for me at work, things have changed a dozen times. IF a few more want to shuttle Friday, that will prob be the only day for me. So count me in Bob.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey Dave,
    A few of us from Preskitt did the Bumble Bee section 2 weeks ago. Sweet trail and worth doing, especially with the river crossings the way they are(will be). Lets plan a B/C ride from the parking lot at 9:30am? Look at/print Dales map for beta. The parking lot is real easy to find about 1/2 mile from the I17 exit (road is still paved there). There are a few of us from Preskitt heading down so should be a good group.

Also, another option is to leave from the parking lot and head south. Not sure how far down the river crossing is? Need to check Dales map, or if someone knows chime in.

Rick

Dave
    Sounds good Rick. I'll be driving down from Sedona so maybe 10ish. I have a printed map and some words to help fill in the blanks. I like the B/C rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah for me. Looks like the wifey has given the a-ok to go play in AZ this week .

For the scottsdale/phoenix folks, how long do you think it'll take to get to Lebuzz in Tucson on a Thursday morning? And anyone doing the milagrosa ride wanna carpool?

High Alpine Adventure

Love riding with Dave!

I'm with ya Dave... I'm not into wading through a river. I want to give the North a go... I'll have a "liteandfast" rider with me. We'll start off with whomever shows up and pace the ride from there. We have Albuquerque to make by that evening, so may end up breaking away... just saying.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Dave
    Great goat, it'll be good to see you man. Is your wife joining you this time? Or is this liteandfast person someother person.

"Yabut"

Tucson: Thursday Bugs Spring/Milagrosa Snow Report

So I drove up Mt. Lemmon to the Bugs Spring Trail. Checkin' it out for tomorrow.
    OK, so at the parking area, there is 3-4 inches of snow. Of course, it gets deeper as you push up the hike-a-bike. I was the only one to make tracks, so I was the first one up there since it snowed. (I hiked it). At the top, it was about 8 inches deep. It is going to take considerable effort to push the bikes up that HAB. But it is totally doable. Patience and breaks, will be key. Going down could be interesting. It could make for some hilarious videos though! I would say that we would be outta the snow after about 1 mile, maybe less. I say let's do it!! Snow on the trail doesn't happen that often, and it would be an adventure. Oh yeah, it really wasn't that cold. And it was nice and sunny. Beautiful!!
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Stay Away Rain!

"Yabut"
    Perfect weather scheduled for Tucson!
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    So I drove up Mt. Lemmon to the Bugs Spring Trail. Checkin' it out for tomorrow.
    OK, so at the parking area, there is 3-4 inches of snow. Of course, it gets deeper as you push up the hike-a-bike. I was the only one to make tracks, so I was the first one up there since it snowed. (I hiked it). At the top, it was about 8 inches deep. It is going to take considerable effort to push the bikes up that HAB. But it is totally doable. Patience and breaks, will be key. Going down could be interesting. It could make for some hilarious videos though! I would say that we would be outta the snow after about 1 mile, maybe less. I say let's do it!! Snow on the trail doesn't happen that often, and it would be an adventure. Oh yeah, it really wasn't that cold. And it was nice and sunny. Beautiful!!

In light of that, I may opt to start at the bottom of Bug, climb to the Hoo Doos and turn
    around there, continuing the ride on down and out Mili.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

livin' the dream......
    Down for Sunday BCT for my first time ever, ever! Keeping an eye on this thread to see what the final call is. Never did a AZSF ride before due to schedules, psyched to finally get on one!

I plan on packing my daughters "Dora the Explorer" water wings, just in case!!! FIgure I can zip tie them to my camelback???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Are there just two sedona rides now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    I'm down for shuttles. let us know!

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Recommended motels to stay at near the mtb trails?

Also, I may have a n00bie rider in tow... recommendations for trails they can ride and enjoy?
    Last edited by MTBNate; 03-11-2010 at 03:29 PM.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    FYI - I started a new "Alternative Sunday BCT ride" thread on the main page for those interested.

mtbr member
    May 2007

More than 2 Sedona rides, be at B n B @ 9

Quote Originally Posted by Leethal
    Are there just two sedona rides now?
    There should be at least 4 or 5 rides in Sedona Saturday when everything gets figured out at Bike n Bean,,,,,be there at 9am and start asking questions.................my ride is hovering around 11 riders and I'd like to keep it under 12............this is the B+ SS Double HH's with a few surprises perhaps.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    There should be at least 4 or 5 rides in Sedona Saturday when everything gets figured out at Bike n Bean,,,,,be there at 9am and start asking questions.................my ride is hovering around 11 riders and I'd like to keep it under 12............this is the B+ SS Double HH's with a few surprises perhaps.
    Well said.

Updated the thread...

I am Walt

Down to 598 cfs as of 8:30 pm this evening...which is down just over 200 cfs in the last 24 hours. If that rate of decrease continues (which it won't...the rate of decrease will also decrease), the flow would be around 200 cfs at this time on Saturday evening, which will be too high to cross safely or comfortably on Sunday morning. I'd say it's looking grim for the originally-planned BCT route (south from BCC).

I'll make a call on my portion on that ride tomorrow night or Sat, based on what the water level is doing. A "north" BCT option has been posted, so I suggest getting familiar with that as the likely BCT ride for Sunday.
    Ride more; post less...

inebriate savant
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    I'd like to jump in on the SS ride if i still can!

n00b to the azsf, but heading out from socal this afternoon to make the riding in Sedona tomorrow, hoping to crash at the Beaver Flats site late this evening. I've read up on the ride description and all; anything more i should need to be prepared for?

Stoked.

mtbr member
    May 2007

A checklist for the B+ Singlespeed HH+ 3/13 ride

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmason
    I'd like to jump in on the SS ride if i still can!

n00b to the azsf, but heading out from socal this afternoon to make the riding in Sedona tomorrow, hoping to crash at the Beaver Flats site late this evening. I've read up on the ride description and all; anything more i should need to be prepared for?

Stoked.
    JM, here's a few things for your list,,,,,,,,,,,,,,slimed tubes or tubeless setup,,,,,,,,,,,,,a few extra tubes, plenty of water, plenty of food/robot bars..........a camera.......sunscreen, beer and pizza money, and a good attitude Have you ridden Sedona? If not, be prepared for the longest 20+ miles of your life,,,,,,,,,,as well as some of the finest 20 miles of your life.Plenty of short steep climbs a swell as a few longer techy climbs so gear down if you are not use to tuffer climbs. I'm running a 32X 18 on a 27 lb full suspension bike but will put the 19 on if I get the chance later today. See you at Bike n Bean manana @ 9am
    elrancho66

inebriate savant
    Thanks for the heads up!

I'll be running 32x20 on my 29er, which is just kinda my go to gearing; i'm pretty used to climbing with it. I'll throw a 21 in just in case i get scared in the morning. Got all new stan's loaded, lots o' tubes just in case, and all the other bases covered.

Stoked, see y'all in the morning.
    Work smarter AND harder.

Need more cowbell
    Where/when is the best time to pick up shirts? I assume BCT on Sunday?

livin' the dream......
    I checked earlier on the usgs.gov site and the flow was still north of 500 cfs.

I am Walt

No way for BCT south from BCC...

Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    I checked earlier on the usgs.gov site and the flow was still north of 500 cfs.
    At 500 cfs right now...the river will be impassable on Sunday. The BCT ride going south from BCC is off. Only option will be to go north...check out that thread...
    Ride more; post less...

Tucson, AZ
    I rode down to the Agua Fria river today, that thing was flowing! Thank you for the recommendation to head north to Bumble Bee.

Members who have read this thread: 0