• 02-25-2013
    SugarHigh
    AZSF - Hawse Beerduro Wednesday 3/13 - 6:00 Las Sendas GC Stage
    Douger-1 and I are planning to co-host the AZSF ride at Hawse on the 13th. Wanted to get a little feedback on start time. We want to include as many as possible.

Sunset on the 13th is 6:35. Lot's of folks work until 5:00 though. Originally I was thinking about a 4:30 start, but then Doug said in the past it has started around 6:00 and required lights.

So let's leave it up to you guys. Both will be fun, and there will be beer either way. Above should be a poll. Feel free to post a comment too. I have a few cool ideas.
  • 02-25-2013
    BIGHORN LEW
    hey SH I don't see a poll or a link to one? Glad to see you are healing. I would prefer a daylight ride since i have no lights worthy enough.
  • 02-25-2013
    longhairmike
    temps start dropping pretty quickly there in the shaded areas about 2 hours before sunset
  • 02-26-2013
    SugarHigh
    Lew, The poll appeared on the top of the thread. Some folks filled it out, so it seems to be working.

Mike, Bring a jacket in case. I am betting the temps will be perfect. I heard ti was getting into the 80's this weekend.
  • 02-26-2013
    azepicriderandrunner
    Work is for suckers.....
  • 02-26-2013
    Noelg
    1 Attachment(s)
    I've done the AZSF Wed Hawes ride quite a few times in the past and IMO, timing the ride so that you are at the top of the Mine Trail at or near sunset is primo! :thumbsup:

Attachment 775659
  • 02-26-2013
    SugarHigh
    So romantic! :)
  • 02-26-2013
    Noelg
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    So romantic! :)

That is what U2METOO said! :smilewinkgrin:

Attachment 775661
  • 02-26-2013
    Douger-1
    How was the turn out to this ride last year? I know I did the Gold Canyon ride earlier in the day and missed this one.
  • 02-26-2013
    Douger-1
    Didnt take long to thin your blood. I did a night ride out at Hawes last night about 9pm. Was a bit chilly for sure.
  • 02-26-2013
    Maadjurguer
    Dude....you're from Chicago....HTFU and ride!!!!! I flew through there yesterday and it was a typical late FEB $h!tshow......I bet your homies back home would KILL to be "cold" in 45 degree and clear weather and riding.....

Hell....we got a guy on this forum who is bald and has -0.3 body fat (yes......negative body fat) and was a bike messenger in Chicago to include the winter. He's also a fan of pie charts........and I'm quite certain his chart says riding out here is never cold....
  • 02-28-2013
    SugarHigh
    The people have spoken. Plus, I am a sucker for romance. We ride at 6:00. We will stage at the Las Sendas Golf Course and then have a beer there after the ride.

This will be called the Hawse Night Beerduro. The winner will be dubbed KOH. King of Hawse. How will this work you ask?

We will have at least 1 timed section. Likely on Hawse trail at the Diomond Point start, to the cut off to Disneyland. If it goes smooth and does not burn a lot of time, we will add the Mine Downhill, which would likely be in the dark. The last stage will be near the end of the ride at the elusive Cold Beer Bush. You will be timed how quickly you can finish a beer. If you do not drink beer, I hear the elsuive Bush will have soda too. Your combined time will be tallied and one rider will emerge in glory and much respect. So yeah, this will be real serious.

Any other cool ideas are welcome.
  • 02-28-2013
    HighTitan
    I like.

Im game for 430 - Lights are a pain
  • 03-06-2013
    MyBike'sBroken
    This ride was moved to Friday night, right???
  • 03-06-2013
    CoyoteKis
    Definitely in! Missed this ride every year! NOT this one! Update por favor!
  • 03-06-2013
    Maadjurguer
    Am I excluded from the beer drinking because of my pro status? I mean, I was almost in the Olympics but I won $20 in an amateur bowling tournament....
  • 03-06-2013
    SugarHigh
    Friday night. I will add details shortly. it.should be fun. No handicaps, so Maad might have an advantage based on his boozability.
  • 03-06-2013
    schillingsworth
    In.
  • 03-07-2013
    HighTitan
    I did some practice runs down Disneyland DH and Mine DH the other day, Im ready.
  • 03-07-2013
    CoyoteKis
    AZSF - Hawse Wednesday 3/13 - Start early, or Require Lights?
    Okay, awesome as it is, your route just turned MY participation into a Party Of One! Meaning I will start with everyone but do my own route and intersect with with you guys at Mine! This is my first night ride in years (surgery on eyes) (not to mention just getting back into riding after thumb surgery) so I might be better served sticking to the low lands, and catching everyone!
  • 03-07-2013
    Douger-1
    What part are you questioning? There really isnt any true DH at Hawes and we arent coming anywhere close to the microwave tower stuff. If you can do Mine you wont have any other issues where the ride is planned.
  • 03-07-2013
    CoyoteKis
    Oh I said NOTHING about riding down Mine. lol I was planning to flip it head to Pride Rock or wherever you guys were planning on finishing. I lived in Las Sendas for 8 years, so I know the trails well, this is just more of an issue of any downhill wreaking havoc on my surgery for an avulsion fracture of my thumb. I live next to McDowell's now, and I am just BARELY coming back into riding, so I was just thinking of cruising around the lower stuff. I will play it by ear. Hawes is WAAAAAAY less rocky than the McDowell's so maybe it won't be an issue!!
  • 03-07-2013
    Douger-1
    Fair enough. Recovering from surgery isnt an easy process so I understand.
  • 03-09-2013
    surfndav
    I'm planing on showing up for this ride. I just bought a new light set, so let it get darK.
  • 03-11-2013
    CoyoteKis
    Was out there today and Hawes is in perfect condition! Can't wait for Friday!
  • 03-11-2013
    Douger-1
    Had several drinks Friday night and my liver is perfect condition. Cant wait for Friday ;)
  • 03-11-2013
    longhairmike
    wish the gdmfn post office would pick up already so i can go ride...
  • 03-13-2013
    liteandfast
    this is confusing to follow. Is this ride on 3/13 or 3/15? Ride time is 6?
  • 03-13-2013
    Douger-1
    The ride is on 3/15, pedaling at 6pm. Sugarhigh will be providing additional details soon on parking location and ride/post ride festivities.
  • 03-13-2013
    longhairmike
    as long as it's 90 every day this week,, ill be hitting hawes every afternoon.
    i get high on sushine & heat.

anyone else want to start around 3-4, let me know
  • 03-14-2013
    SugarHigh
    I tried to create a new thread with the right date and time on it, but no one posted on it. No biggie. We are on for Friday, pedaling at 6. Staging will be moved to my house, which is in the same area, in the middle of our entrance and exit point of the trail system. The bar has an event and it will be packed on Friday night, so might as well have some beers in my driveway/garage. It is a common occurance, so no sweat. I will have a case or so, but feel free to bring something if you want. 40's get much respect in the Las Sendas hood.

Mi casa, is in Mountain Gate and the code is #7777. My house has unique slopes in the front, and there should be a silver ford or two around it. 7755 e western hills mesa az - Google Maps

This will be called the Hawse Night Beerduro. The best rider will be dubbed KOH. King of Hawse. I might make a really cheesy award of some kind too. How will this work you ask?

We will have at least 1 timed section. Likely on Hawse trail at the Diomond Point start, cut off to Disneyland (the only right), ending around the junction to go to Secret . If it goes smooth and does not burn a lot of time, I have three others in mind. 2. Secret Trail ending after the Switch Backs. 3. Mine Downhill. 4. The fun flowy section of Ridge heading toward the canal staging. No gaurantees on how many we will do. Let's just see how it goes and how the group likes it.

The last stage will be near the end of the ride at the elusive Cold Beer Bush. You will be timed how quickly you can finish a beer. If you do not drink beer, I hear the elsuive Bush will have soda too. There are no rules on how you finish that beer, but no cups or other supplies will be provided. The beer bush will only have Bud Light.

Your combined time will be tallied and one rider will emerge in glory and much respect. So yeah, this will be real serious. We will try to score this right after in my driveway/garage. Tunes, chairs, ...

I will provide a time card and pens. The card can be taped on your bike, or just put it in your pocket. My plan is that one rider starts the test. They will write a start time on the riders card. Another rider goes down first and times themself, writing the stop time on their card. They stop and then record everyones time and write it on their cards.

We will give 30 seconds of space between riders. Folks that know they are fast, should go first. If someone catches you, you get out of their way asap. If someone is hurt and needs assistance, you obviously stop. After the first test, we should have a good pecking order. The last person then writes there time, goes, and finishes. After that, the group goes on to the next section to repeat. Me and Doug will likely be the check point folks.

I might rock some of my kids glow sticks in my spokes. I will also bring a camera. Any other cool ideas are welcome.

Post up if you are coming and if you are bringing others. Who is confirmed so far:

Shug - Total Squid with an injured wing
    Douger
    MyBikesBroken
    Maad - Fast Beer drinker. I expect a poem about the ride!
    CoyoteKis - May not ride all of it with us
    freeskier46 - Goes on real long rides
    Andy Z - X Expert Level Down Hill guy that has not been on a MTB in years
    HighTitan - Seeing his video, he might be the Vegas odds fav
    surfndav
    lieandfast?
  • 03-14-2013
    CoyoteKis
    Sounds like a fun night ahead!

Okay so here's my dealio-

Since it's my first NR since thumb and eye surgery, and my hubster has decided to join in for HIS first NR post surgery, we are going to start our slow-mo' selves at the Walgreens, and start out on the low lands while you Highlanders do your thing! We are going to look for your lights and join up with you guys at the Beer Tree, and then post-ride come on up to your casa!

Anyone else who can't do the Highlander thing is welcome to join us and link up with the group, as we plan to do!

Check your pm SH! About to send you one
  • 03-15-2013
    cstem
    This sounds like a blast! I can't make this one as I will be course checking the fat tire 40 about then. If this just happens to be done again on the future I will be there! Have fun!

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
  • 03-15-2013
    SugarHigh
    cstem, If this works out, I would be up for doing another in the day before it gets too hot.
  • 03-15-2013
    cstem
    Night time is the right time too!
  • 03-15-2013
    longhairmike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Night time is the right time too!

i dont think ray charles could make the distinction between day and night rides
  • 03-15-2013
    SugarHigh
    1 Attachment(s)
    I ordered the award for the KOH (King of Hawes) and it just came in. $hit just got serious!!!
  • 03-15-2013
    CoyoteKis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    I ordered the award for the KOH (King of Hawes) and it just came in. $hit just got serious!!!

Okay THAT rocks! Got four of us meeting at Walgreens FIP at 6:30. Read your pm, and will see you at the designated tree. Can't wait to find out who gets that prize.
  • 03-15-2013
    schillingsworth
    Yeah, that is pretty slick. AZSF is NOT dead!!

Maad: I have a little Y.E.A.S.T.I.E for you!!
  • 03-15-2013
    Douger-1
    I just got my first six pack of Dale's Pale Ale for post ride celebration. Even if I lose I win!!
  • 03-15-2013
    CoyoteKis
    And here we thought we were being "exotic" by getting Tecate instead of our usual CoorsLight :-)