AZSF 2008 Official Map/Info Thread- Mtbr.com
    Tucson, AZ

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! AZSF 2008 Official Map/Info Thread

Area Maps for all Rides (click on the link to view the trail map or the picture map to see driving directions and start times)
    Hawes
    Mt Lemmon/Milagrosa

Bars on Bikes Meeting Location

TMP Night Ride Meeting Location

SoMo

SoMo Party Map

BCT
    TMP
    Sedona Map
    Sedona Parking Map
    Sedona Camping
    Directions to Sedona Camping: North on AZ 179, to forest road 120. I have not been there for a few years, but here above is the approximate point. If you plan on camping, there is a group of us that should be there on Friday night (unless plans change). Come talk with me at the SoMo party if you want more details.

Sedona Party at BikenBean

Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 03-11-2008 at 08:57 PM.

pedaller
    Hey Chad, that Hawes map is a little too small...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Tucson, AZ

Final Ride Schedule

(note: if something needs changed, please send me a private message with the details/maps rather than posting a comment here. Thank you.)

Pre-Fling on Wed at Hawes
    Ride Leaders: Noelg
    Ride difficulty: “B” ride
    Meeting place/time: Walgreen's parking lot at the NW corner of Thomas & Power at 9AM. Plan to ride 2-3 hours. If you're coming from the west, take the 202 east to the end at Power Road. Turn left (North) and Thomas will be the next light.

Ride Description: The Hawes trail network is part of the Tonto National forest and is located in northeast Mesa. There are many variations of trails that can be ridden in the Hawes trail system. Depending on the group, we will most likely ride the "Standard Loop" that includes the Hawes Trail, Saddleback Trail, Mine Trail, etc. If weather permits and the group is interested, we'll probably add Twisted Sister out-n-back. The best description of the ride would be that it's 100% singletrack XC riding, with some short rocky sections and some switchbacks. It's also one of the best places for breaking out the camera with lots of wildflowers and beautiful backdrops. Lots of cacti - saguaro, cholla, etc. Use slime or thorn-resistant tubes or a tubeless system. Trails are SS-friendly. Map courtesy of Epicrider: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...?album=4&pos=0

Post-ride Beer: post-ride Brew would be at Red, White & Brew on the NW corner of Power & McDowell.

Pre-Fling on Wed, March 12: Tucson Mountain Park Night Ride
    Ride Leaders: azepicriderandrunner and bikes4max
    Ride difficulty: “B” ride
    Meeting place/time: Meet at Starr Pass parking lot at 6:00 PM. Plan to ride about 2 hours
    Post-ride Beer: Ride/drive down to 4th Avenue for some beer and food at Bison Witches.
    Ride Description: Starr Pass is more hilly than most of Tucson Mountain Park and provides greater ride variation for a given trail. This area is heavily covered in cacti. Flat-proofed (slimed) tires and pliers to remove cacti from your bike or yourself are recommended. Lights required also.

Thursday, March 13:
    Tucson B: 50-Year Trail
    Ride Leader: Chad
    Ride difficulty: B ride
    Meeting place/time: Meet at Golder Ranch Road at 9:00am
    Ride Description: We will be riding some of the best trails in the area, Baby Jesus, Upper 50, a quick sneak into the chutes, etc. If weather is hotter than expected, this ride might change to some fun singletrack on Mt Lemmon to escape the heat.

Route Description: The 50 year trail is a popular mountain biking trail that runs from the Catalina State Park equestrian center to the North end of the Golder Ranch Area. The trail contains a variety of difficulty levels from easy to advanced. We will be mostly on rolly sections, with a few rocks here and there to add some technical game to the ride.

Tucson A: -Bug Springs-Prison Camp-La Milagrosa Shuttle
    Ride Leader: Bikes4Max, Helimech
    Ride difficulty: “A” rid****Note**** This ride is very, very advanced, possibly the most advanced ride for all of AZSF. Riders should be able to descend obstacles with ease. Full suspension (although not mandatory is highly recommended). If you have armor, bring it.
    Meeting place/time: Meet at LeBuzz coffee shop (9095 E. Tanque Verde Road, Tucson, AZ 85749) at 9AM

Directions to Le Buzz: Take I-10 to Ina Road, and head East on Ina. Ina will change names twice, to Skyline and then Sunrise. About a mile after you pass the signal at Craycroft, the next signal at the bottom of a hill is Kolb. Turn right. Kolb will become Sabino Canyon, and about a mile after that you will come to a T intersection with Tanque Verde. Turn left and stay in either of the two left lanes (the right lane will become another road). After about a mile, find LeBuzz tucked in a shopping center on the NE corner of the Tanque Verde / Catalina Highway intersection behind the McDonalds.

Tucson B: AZ Trail, starting in Vail
    Ride Leader: Aaron (aka: MyBike'sBroken)
    Ride difficulty: "B" ride
    Meeting place/time: Meet out front of Montgomery's Grill and Saloon, 13190 E Colossal Cave Rd, Vail, AZ. @10AM.

Directions to Montgomery's: Take I-10 to Vail Rd. (exit 279), Turn left and head north on Vail Rd. After about a mile, there will be a shopping center on the right side of the road. You will see a Dairy Queen, Quikie Mart, etc. Montgomery's is on the North end of the shopping center. We will meet in the dirt lot out front. Driving time from the Tempe (SoMo) area will be around 3 hours. Ride Description: We will ride from Pistol Hill Road, out to Three Bridges, and return. Approx. 24 miles. This section of the AZ Trail is beautiful, and fun to ride. It rolls and twists through saguaro cactus forests. Most of the trail is smooth singletrack, with some slightly technical bits thrown in here and there. Some climbing, and of course, descending. It's singlespeed friendly. On my 29'er, I ride it with either a 32x18 or 32x20.

Tucson Party Info
    Wednesday Night Ride
    Starr Pass/Tucson Mountain Park Big Parking Lot
    at 6:00pm
    Post-race Beer and Food at Bison Witches on 4th Avenue

Thursday Bars on Bikes
    Meet at the Rincon Market (6th and Tucson Blvd):
    at 7:00pm with lights, blinkie and headlight, ready to ride and drink!

Friday, March 14: Phoenix, South Mountain rides
    SoMo A:
    National, Mormon, Buena Vista
    Ride Leader: Chad, Chollabal, Ionsmuse, Bikes4max
    Ride difficulty:A We will be riding the most mileage out of any other group on South Mountain, however, depending on how the group feels midway through the coast-to-coast, we will re-evaluate time and options.
    Meeting place/time: FIP at 9:30
    Directions to South Mountain: We will be meeting at the Pima Canyon Parking lot next to the Rocky Mountain and Yeti demo vans at the entrance of the park.
    National is one of America’s 10 Best Trails - bikemag.com
    petefagerlin.com - excellent video footage and helmet cam of Arizona trail including National, Mormon, and Geronimo.
    Google Earth Mapping of South Mountain courtesy of MtbikeAZ.com can be found here.
    Other Phoenix and Sedona maps from epicrider can be found here

SoMo B
    Mormon to National to Buena Vista, down National
    Ride Leader: CactusJoe (JB)
    Ride difficulty:B
    Meeting place/time: 9:30am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above)
    Directions to South Mountain: Same as above, We will be meeting at the Pima Canyon Parking lot next to the Rocky Mountain and Yeti demo vans at the entrance of the park.
    This ride is intended for those new to South Mountain and who want to get a good taste of National without puking...
    Starting at the Pima Canyon North Ramada, we will climb Mormon to National, then take National up to the Buena Vista
    parking lot. Turning around from there, we will take National all the way back down to the bottom. About 8-9 miles total,
    with a healthy dose of climbing. Pace will be social.

SoMo B+

Ride Leader: DurtGurl
    ROUTE: Desert Classic to Pima Canyon ramadas. Up National to Buena Vista. Continue west on National to just below the towers and before National starts to drop rapidly (this section beyond BV is one of my favorite sections of National that I'd like to share with our visitors). Turn around and head back on National to Buena Vista and then take Corona Loma (another one of my fav trails) down the backside of the mtn. Secret trails to Desert Classic. Ride can be extended or shortened depending on group.

LEVEL: Pace will be B level, but technical aspect of National and Corona Loma is A level for sure. Armor is recommended. I will likely be leading from the back of the pack but welcome any faster locals to join as leader.

TIME and MEETING PLACE: FIP at 9AM from my house in Ahwatukee with a 9:30 ride-by at the Pima ramadas.

I'm choosing to start from my house because I'm not in charge of the Fling this year (thanks Chad!) and because it's really just on the way of my designated ride . Anyone is welcome to start at my house - shoot me a PM if you need directions or just show up if you know the way. But we will also be swinging by the Ramadas at 9:30AM and can pick up riders who want to do my ride but prefer to base their ride out of Pima Canyon.

SoMo C
    Ride Leader: Kaboose
    Ride difficulty: C
    Meeting place/time: 9:00am
    Directions to South Mountain: We will be meeting at the Pima Canyon Parking lot next to the Rocky Mountain and Yeti demo vans at the entrance of the park.

Saturday, March 15 - Sedona
    Sedona B+:
    Ride Leader: Azepicriderandrunner (Chad)
    Meet at 8:45am, Ride departs at 9:00am promptly.
    Starting location: Park in Oak Creek or in the South Bell Rock Pathway lot.

Details: Plan is to ride up a large loop around Sedona hitting up the best singletrack and slickrock, 30ish miles.

Sedona B
    Ride Leader: Ionsmuse (Dave)
    Start location: South Bell Rock pathway lot, across from Bike n' Bean (see directions below). FIP @ 0930.
    Details: Bell Rock pathway-Templeton-Baldwin-Ridge-Bandit-Airport South-179-Morgan Rd-Broken Arrow-Little Horse-Llama-Bell Rock. ~22 miles, 3300' of up. Please note; getting down Airport without getting stuck by cactus is almost impossible. Shin guards are recommended to deal with this. Tire sealant is essential. DO NOT come on this ride without it.
    Sedona B
    Ride leader: Tomas
    Details: Start time is 9:15 at the Bell Rock parking lot. Trail is BRP, Templeton, Back o Beyond road, BRP, Little Horse, Llama, and back to the party at B&B. We can have a scenic stop out and back to Chicken Point. If folks are feeling like more riding after lunch, we can drive and park at the Thunder Mountain Trailhead and do Lower Chimney Rock, Girdner, Rupp, Cockscomb, Deadman's Pass, Long Canyon, Cypress, Snake and back to the trailhead. Milage is about 15+- and is a B/C ride. Finish the day at the Brew Pub.

Sedona C Ride: Paul B
    Info: Meet at IGA lot at 10a.m. on Saturday to help put together a B-tech/C-pace ride.

Bell Rock Parking Lot Directions:
    Take the Highway 179 exit that leads to Sedona. Seven miles in you will encounter not Sedona proper but The Village of Oak Creek (VOC). There is a bunch of road construction, and by late morning the traffic is just crazy. But at 8:30am, the traffic is not bad at all.
    Travel through most of mess until you get near the last light, a street called Bell Rock Blvd. Just before the light, on the right side of the road you will see Absolute Bikes and an Ace Hardware Store. BUT, instead of turning right into that little parking lot, directly across on the left side of the road is a big parking lot, which y'all should use. There is a two story strip mall building there. The one business I really like there is a Thai restaurant. Park the car. From there, once all geared up, carefully cross the road to the Circle K. From there ride up the dirt construction track to the USFS parking lot called Bell Rock Parkway or something like that. Its a few hundred yards from the Circle K. No need to purchase a silly red rock pass. Save your $5 for pizza and beer. I supose that folks will congreate in or near the ramada. The trail leaves from there.
    Also, if folks are camping down the road at the usual spot, I would not recommend riding your bike up 179 to the Bell Rock trailhead, with all the construction, lanes are narrow and locals and tourists alike might run you off the road or worse.

Sunday, March 16: Phoenix
    Black Canyon Trail: B and C rides
    Ride Leader: Tiffanyinanthem/Chad/Ionsmuse/Waltaz
    Start Location: BCT trail head at FIP9am for B ride C ride: Little Pan loop Start time 10a
    Directions to BCT trail head…Directions: From Interstate 17, either direction; take exit 242 (Black Canyon City and Rock Springs), turn west, proceed to stop sign, turn north (right) on the frontage road, drive about 300 ft to the first road on the left, Warner Rd, and turn left. Drive about 1300 ft to the first cross road, turn right and proceed to the parking area on the right near the end of the road, about 400 ft.
    GPS coordinates, using NAD27 Datum:

Directions to Table Mesa TH
    Directions to C Ride Little Pan Loop: From Interstate 17: Take exit 236 (Table Mesa Rd), turn west then north on the frontage road, drive approximately 1.65 miles to the “Y” and bear left, drive approximately 1.38 miles and look for the side road on the right. Turn onto this road and the trailhead is immediately to the left.
    GPS coordinates, using NAD27 datum:
    N33 59.076’
    W112 10.063’
    Start Time: 10am
    N34 3.140’
    W112 9.048’

Sunday: Phoenix Goat Camp
    Somebody is going to step up to lead this ride, more info later, but if you are staying in the valley, we plan on having rides both Saturday and Sunday. I will post more info as it becomes available, but there is definitely a goat camp ride on Sunday, with Durtgirl as one of the participants.

Dales cool map…http://singletrack.us/gallery/displa...album=54&pos=0

$8 pitcher of beer and some good food post-ride at the famous Rock Springs, about 1/2 mile from the trail head.

__________________________________________________ _____

Yeti Demo Days

Yeti will have a trailer full of 575 and AS-R demos, as well as some AS-R carbons for demoing from Thrs-Sunday.
    Rocky Mountain Demo Days: Wed-Sat (50-year, Somo, Sedona, BCT)
    __________________________________________________ ____________

The Post-Ride Parties
    Thursday 13th: Tucson 4th Avenue Bars and Bikes
    After the rides around town, we will be biking downtown in a bikes and beer like fashion, hitting different pubs/bars. Bring front and rear lights for this party, maybe some beer in your camelbak, and some cash. We will be meeting in the vicinity of 4th avenue, possibly near the Rincon Market. More info to above.

Friday 14th: South Mountain Party
    Beer and Margaritas will be provided
    PARTY FOOD - Although snacks may show up (we're working on it!), dinner is a BYO style. The grills will be fired up, and plates, utensils, condoments, water and soda will be provided. Bring your appetite, but don't forget to stop by the grocery store!

Saturday 15th: Sedona Beer & Pizza Fest: Sponsored by Bike & Bean.
    Beer (free! donated by Bike&Bean) & pizza (not free – will collect $10/person in the AM). Remember to support our sponsors!
    Time: TBA
    Location: Bike & Bean is at the far north side of the Village on the left-hand (west) side of 179
    Parking: Please do not park at the bike shop unless you are parking your bike. Park at the IGA and ride your bike to the Bean.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 03-13-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Endurance Junkie
    Chad thanks, now I know where I'm going and when to be there.

Tucson, AZ

Topofusion.com Maps

These were courtesy of Topofusion, a great mapping software designed with mtbiking in mind. These are some of the general topographic area of some of the rides.

Milagrosa
    TMP
    50-Year Trail
    SoMo (1 of 2)
    SoMo (2 of 2)

BCTSedona

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Hey Chad, that Hawes map is a little too small...
    This is the general link to all the maps, but it is always busy..... so I posted some more topo maps below.

Saucy Size
    It's not noted on the schedule but I'm still going to be at the IGA lot at 10a.m. on Saturday to help put together a B-tech/C-pace ride. C riders, you DO have a Sedona option.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    It's not noted on the schedule but I'm still going to be at the IGA lot at 10a.m. on Saturday to help put together a B-tech/C-pace ride. C riders, you DO have a Sedona option.

p.
    Added it. Paul, are you still going to make the trip in light of the I-17 construction?
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 03-12-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Added it. Paul, are you still going to make the trip in light of the I-17 construction?
    Yeah, that looks like a good time doesn't it?

I'll be there. Got a fancy new bike to show off!

p.

Saucy Size
    Okay, I'll post this in a couple different places:

If you were thinking about doing my B/C ride in Sedona on Saturday, RAISE YOUR HAND and post to one of the threads. If'n I'm the only one going, I'll bag it myself.

So, please, RSVP to me in a thread or give me a PM if you're thinking of going. If I don't get a show of hands by the end of Friday, I'm bagging it myself.

p.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Planning on it

Looks like we will have to get up a little earlier though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

If you were thinking about doing my B/C ride in Sedona on Saturday, RAISE YOUR HAND and post to one of the threads. If'n I'm the only one going, I'll bag it myself.

So, please, RSVP to me in a thread or give me a PM if you're thinking of going. If I don't get a show of hands by the end of Friday, I'm bagging it myself.

p.
    I would like to make it down there. I'll look into directions and whatnot about getting out there, maybe see if someone wants to ride down there togather?

Saucy Size
    Okay, this sounds good! Thanks for the RSVPs; I'm re-committed to doing this thing.

p.

skin tight lycra
    Quote Originally Posted by guardian86
    I would like to make it down there. I'll look into directions and whatnot about getting out there, maybe see if someone wants to ride down there togather?
    I'm looking for a carpool from Tempe area to Sedona. Doesnt matter what ride I do in Sedona. I can carry bikes or hop in another car. Perferably someone who knows the secret to detour the traffic on the 17.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseKipp
    I'm looking for a carpool from Tempe area to Sedona. Doesnt matter what ride I do in Sedona. I can carry bikes or hop in another car. Perferably someone who knows the secret to detour the traffic on the 17.

sorry I'm in Oro Valley so I wont be able to help you with the traffic, but if you want to meet up down here then PM me.

It rains here. :(

p.
    Count me in on this Paul.
    07 GF Rig

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

oop's

Quote Originally Posted by guardian86
    sorry I'm in Oro Valley so I wont be able to help you with the traffic, but if you want to meet up down here then PM me.
    Sorry I got that backwards, I was thinking sierra vista for some reason.

Chilling out
    Paul B - Thanks, if not for me than for my friend who came with me.

I'm going to try to get him hooked up with your ride on Sat - he really got cooked out today on Milagrosa as he's still getting over a bit of a cold. He's taking Friday off but plans on riding again on Sat and I'm going to try to get him to do the mellow ride so that he can for sure enjoy it.

If Kathleen "cooks me" tomorrow on her SoMo ride I may only have legs left for yours ... we'll see ... I do hope to be able to see more of Sedona riding though ... cold and frozen as it was in Dec is not the way I want the memories left.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm bringing the wife too for the sat sadona ride.

how long will the b/c ride be in total?

Saucy Size
    B/C ride info: Probably 4-5 hours total ridin' and sittin' and takin' pictures time. Maybe more if we decide to dork around on Llama Trail all afternoon.

This is what many people affectionately call "the big loop." Starting from the IGA lot, you take a little road ride, predominantly downhill, around the back of Cathedral Rock to the shores of Oak Creek. Take the Baldwin Trail, which is one of my all-time favorite semi-techy singletracks, over to Buddha Beach. Ride along the beach 'til you reach the switchbacks up to Cathedral Rock. Ride Cathedral Rock. Take lots of pictures. Take Back o' Beyond Trail, climb the son of a b*tch back up to the freeway, cross the freeway, find your way back to Mystic Trail. Find your way back to Broken Arrow. Ride Broken Arrow to the Devil's Dining Room and watch the brave souls jump their bikes off stuff. Continue on to Submarine Rock and chill with the tourists. Watch the brave souls roll off the back of the rock, a near-vertical face with a very smooth runoff -- freaky! Head back up to Chicken Point, then to Little Horse, then Llama, then home.

No idea the actual mileage, but it's sort of irrelevant (at least to my way of thinking). Even at a very relaxed C pace it's doable in 5 hours.

p.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

anyone want to carpool?

I'm doing Paul's Sedona ride, anyone have room for one more? I'd rather drive up with people than go it solo. I don't have a bike rack or else I'd offer to drive.

I'm right on the way out of town PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,

Tiff

B/C ride info: Probably 4-5 hours total ridin' and sittin' and takin' pictures time. Maybe more if we decide to dork around on Llama Trail all afternoon.

This is what many people affectionately call "the big loop." Starting from the IGA lot, you take a little road ride, predominantly downhill, around the back of Cathedral Rock to the shores of Oak Creek. Take the Baldwin Trail, which is one of my all-time favorite semi-techy singletracks, over to Buddha Beach. Ride along the beach 'til you reach the switchbacks up to Cathedral Rock. Ride Cathedral Rock. Take lots of pictures. Take Back o' Beyond Trail, climb the son of a b*tch back up to the freeway, cross the freeway, find your way back to Mystic Trail. Find your way back to Broken Arrow. Ride Broken Arrow to the Devil's Dining Room and watch the brave souls jump their bikes off stuff. Continue on to Submarine Rock and chill with the tourists. Watch the brave souls roll off the back of the rock, a near-vertical face with a very smooth runoff -- freaky! Head back up to Chicken Point, then to Little Horse, then Llama, then home.

No idea the actual mileage, but it's sort of irrelevant (at least to my way of thinking). Even at a very relaxed C pace it's doable in 5 hours.

p.
    Paul,

A few questions:

Can you pass some directions to that IGA?
    How much water do I need to bring, and is there anyplace to pick up more?
    Are there ways to cut this a bit shorter if I need to?

Thanks.
    07 GF Rig

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Paul,

A few questions:

Can you pass some directions to that IGA?
    How much water do I need to bring, and is there anyplace to pick up more?
    Are there ways to cut this a bit shorter if I need to?

Thanks.
    Okay, yes.

The IGA is visible from the road past the Tequa Marketplace stuff on the left side of the road. I think there's also a sign. Here's a link to a Google Map of the address (100 Verde Valley School Road).

I'll be going with a full 100oz bladder + a 28oz bottle with Gatorade or some other hummingbird food. Should be enough. I don't remember there being any water along the way. I mean, there's Oak Creek, but I wouldn't trust it in my stomach. If you blaze through your water, bring 100oz and a couple bottles just to be sure. I've never run out of water on this ride, esp. if it's going to be cooler/cloudy.

Cut it short: Yup! The first bailout would be at the climb up Back o' Beyond. It puts you right on the 179, but riding back -- scary! Scary scary. You've been warned. There's probably construction. There's definitely traffic. But it's mostly downhill all the way back into Oak Creek.

Next bailout will be at the end of Mystic. Same deal, ride 179 back into town. Ugh.

Next bailout will be at the end of Broken Arrow -- you can bypass the whole Submarine Rock stop and take singletrack straight back to Bell Rock Pathway, then boogie (heh, I just typed boobie (I did it again!)) back on the path. That'll also cut Llama out of the equation entirely.

Sound good? We'll get you back to your vehicle toot sweet.

p.

Okay, yes.

The IGA is visible from the road past the Tequa Marketplace stuff on the left side of the road. I think there's also a sign. Here's a link to a Google Map of the address (100 Verde Valley School Road).

I'll be going with a full 100oz bladder + a 28oz bottle with Gatorade or some other hummingbird food. Should be enough. I don't remember there being any water along the way. I mean, there's Oak Creek, but I wouldn't trust it in my stomach. If you blaze through your water, bring 100oz and a couple bottles just to be sure. I've never run out of water on this ride, esp. if it's going to be cooler/cloudy.

Cut it short: Yup! The first bailout would be at the climb up Back o' Beyond. It puts you right on the 179, but riding back -- scary! Scary scary. You've been warned. There's probably construction. There's definitely traffic. But it's mostly downhill all the way back into Oak Creek.

Next bailout will be at the end of Mystic. Same deal, ride 179 back into town. Ugh.

Next bailout will be at the end of Broken Arrow -- you can bypass the whole Submarine Rock stop and take singletrack straight back to Bell Rock Pathway, then boogie (heh, I just typed boobie (I did it again!)) back on the path. That'll also cut Llama out of the equation entirely.

Sound good? We'll get you back to your vehicle toot sweet.

p.

Sounds great I'll plug that address in the car's GPS. I've never ridden in Sedona, I'm looking forward to it. See you tomorrow, thanks.
    07 GF Rig

Saucy Size
    And weather.com says...Victory!

0% precip. High of 65F. Partially cloudy. Windy, but that beats rain/snow/earthquakes.

p.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Sedona Ride

Hey guys,

I know there is some concern about riding to the Bell Rock trailhead in Sedona but it has changed a little recently. Just so you know, we now have sidewalks all the way through the Village of Oak Creek on both sides of the street. You can now ride through town from any parking destination on the sidewalk. I know sidewalk riding is not the norm but our bike lanes have not been striped yet and I would not suggest riding on 179. Also there are no more traffic lights in the Village, we now have roundabouts. So far, traffic has been moving better on 179 now that they are all open

Look forward to seeing all for beer and pizza.

Jim

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Paul B.
    Sorry to do this last minute, but I have to cancel. The wife has someplace we need to be on sat night in tucson so I don't think there will be any way for us to make it. I hope to be able to get up there some other time soon.

If you're going to be in phx for a sunday ride tell me and I'll make it to that one.

Greg
    Last edited by guardian86; 03-14-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Saucy Size
    No worries, Greg! Do your thing and we'll catch up some other time.

Currently no plans to do any rides on Sunday, but I'm making this up as I go along!

p.

I'm "bad" different
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebean
    Hey guys,

Also there are no more traffic lights in the Village, we now have roundabouts. So far, traffic has been moving better on 179 now that they are all open

Jim
    Doesn't Oak Creek realize that Phoenecians are completely incapable of driving through roundabouts?!! I'm from New England where rotaries (what's with this roondaboot stuff??) are the norm, but everytime I hit the ones on Happy Valley I immediately flip the truck on the roof and slide around backwards so I look like a local.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No worries, Greg! Do your thing and we'll catch up some other time.

Currently no plans to do any rides on Sunday, but I'm making this up as I go along!

p.

I'm looking forward to BCT, If you got the energy left hit up the B/C ride there. depending on the difficulty/distance the wife might be joining me. She is having one of her works displeyed at a local gallery opening on sat night which is why were not making it up there.

Saucy Size
    Now that all the rides have come and gone I'll go ahead and desticky this one. Let's get a big photos-and-stories thread going ASAP!

p.

Tucson, AZ

Quick thanks to a few people....

AZSF would not have been possible without the following MTBR ride leaders
    Chollaball
    Ionsmuse
    Bikes4max
    Rock Punk
    MybikesBroken
    CactusJoe
    DurtGurl (great job on the somo party!)
    Noelg
    Tomas
    Paul B
    Tiffanyinanthem
    Kaboose
    JB and Chris BV Aid Station!

and the following companies (which I encourage you to support)
    Rocky Mountain (Kurt and Thane!)-- we were the first stop of the new sprinter demo and Rocky Mtns 2008 Demo Tour!
    Yeti (Anthony and Joe!--Thanks again for stopping in AZ to help us)
    Elete Water
    Clif Bars/Mojo/Luna
    Power Bars
    Hammer Nutrition
    Biken'Bean-the coolest, most amazing bike shop in all of Arizona. period. If you ride in Sedona, stop by and say hi to Jim, he will put a smile on your face and even give you some beta for your ride.

We had a great ride today out at BCT with post ride party at Rock Springs, I think around 20ish people showed up for both rides and the great weather

mtbr member
    Big Ups to you Chad! Thanks for running the show, man!

You Rock!

Chilling out
    Great job AZ people, kudo's to Chad and Max for the ride-leading and organizing.

Special thanks to Chad and DurtGurl for hosting me and Nando (particularly DurtGurl as she had to put up with us sprawled all over her home), borrowed lights, etc., you two are special-good-withing-good people.

I'm also particularly keen on the A "riders of tech" who were encouraging and patient and by-example have made Bear step up his game significantly this w/e - Clay and Carmen and Lynette come directly to mind. My apologies to those I rode with on Milagrosa who'se names escape me. As was said, a number of "demons" were chased away this w/e - yea buddy, waterfall cleaned both National and on Mila!

Now, if only the weather would have complied. Winter storm east of Tucson has I-10 closed at NM so Nando and mine travel plans are a wee-bit kaflooey.

*sigh*

Time for some rum and a good night's sleep.

Kathleen in AZ
    THANKS to Chad for pulling it all together this year. I hope that all our visitors had a great time - I know that I sure did! I had fun hosting the Texans (Bear and Nando), some New Mexicans (JimBeam and Clay), and of course Ohio Tim. All were great house guests and made it that much more fun for me. Now it's time for a week of recovery at work. I sure am tired...

p.s. My camera freaked out after day one so I am pixeless this time around. sorry....

mtbr member

Thanks

To everyone who made the trip to Sedona and enjoyed the ride(s), thanks! We will support this event every year without question. Everyone was a pleasure to have at the shop.

Thanks again Chad.

Jim
    Bike & Bean

Members who have read this thread: 0