AZ Winter Fling 08 - Goat Camp on Mon 12/22- Mtbr.com
    Kathleen in AZ

AZ Winter Fling 08 - Goat Camp on Mon 12/22

Who's up for some Goat Campin deluxe fun-o-rama? CactusJoe is in and I'm pretty sure PaulB and maybe even a little CoyoteKis (both GC virgins) will show. This can be done as a loop with the gnar 3-mile DH (bring armor - I have some spare for you to borrow Ms. Coyote), or it can be done as an out-and-back XC. Both are great rides.

FIP @ 10AM

Directions from I-10... head west, way way west of Phoenix. Exit at 303 and head north. After about 7 miles turn left on Olive. It's $6 to enter the park so bring cash. Take the first left after the entrance and park near the first resthouse.

Post up if you plan to join...

Krein and Mikesee??? Bring those Lenz's on up from Tucson and join us!

Here's the video I made from my last run on Goat Camp to wet your GC appetite. Ironically, it was on Nov 22 and Monday's ride is on Dec 22.

from DurtGurl on Vimeo.

Salty Dog
    Hmmmmm.... let's see.... I ride Hawes on Sunday, will I be ok for GC on Monday? Never ridden it, but it looks like my kinda ride.... hmmmmmm
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    Hmmmmm.... let's see.... I ride Hawes on Sunday, will I be ok for GC on Monday? Never ridden it, but it looks like my kinda ride.... hmmmmmm
    You'll be fine!!! I'm riding Alta/Bajada or some SoMo variation on Sunday so we can limp up the long climb to Goat Camp together on Monday.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

MikeSee bait????

DG,

You really. really want to ride with Mikesee don't you? GC should be right up his alley from what I can tell.

How long is the commute on a Monday morning do you think, from the Tukster? I am guessing close to an hour assuming some light commuting traffic.

bobo

A Huckin' Hypocrite

Doctors Note?

Is this a scapula doctor approved ride
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
    Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

wrecking crew
    monday...gc had to be on a monday...wahhhhhh! I'm sure Jeff will be there. Darn unemployed people get to ride all day...sigh

Have FUN! I love love love GC. Are you going to try the new Mesquite connector and dump Willow/Ford from the loop?
    ~~~

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    DG,

You really. really want to ride with Mikesee don't you? GC should be right up his alley from what I can tell.

How long is the commute on a Monday morning do you think, from the Tukster? I am guessing close to an hour assuming some light commuting traffic.

bobo
    Am I that transparent? I really really wanna ride with Mikesee!!

Yea, it'll be about an hour's drive from Ahwatukee on a light-traffic Monday.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymmster
    Is this a scapula doctor approved ride
    Doc gave me the ok to ride... really!! He said to use pain as my guide and to try not to fall on that shoulder for another few weeks.

Kymmster - can you make this ride? You'd love it!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    monday...gc had to be on a monday...wahhhhhh! I'm sure Jeff will be there. Darn unemployed people get to ride all day...sigh

Have FUN! I love love love GC. Are you going to try the new Mesquite connector and dump Willow/Ford from the loop?
    I'm thinking you have a cold coming on.... do you feel it? Everyone's been sick. You definitely need Monday off to rest and relax on Goat Camp.

If unemployed Jeffro comes he can show me the way to the mesquite connector. Sounds like a good plan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If I can get off work I might join up with ya. I had a blast last time...we'll see if I can get off...cough, cough...think I'm coming down with something.

Ridin bikes is fun
    I'm looking forward to getting in on some of the winter fling rides, but Monday is out for me. What's next?
    Better than most, not as good as some.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    I'm looking forward to getting in on some of the winter fling rides, but Monday is out for me. What's next?
    I know what's next!
    Hows about you return my PM asking you to return my road bike. I need it back for somebody. Thanks in advance.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    (bring armor - I have some spare for you to borrow Ms. Coyote), or it can be done as an out-and-back XC. Both are great rides.
    Well dayum! I said DAYUM! Armor? I'm thinking anything that requires armor is beyond my wee-puppy coyote skills. Jury is out on this one. Hmm. Let me see if I can get a hall pass... and if so, I'm thinking I just need to bring the pom poms to cheer on you crazy cake kids as you take on the downhill. Awfully kind of you to offer your armor, Kathleen. Thank you. I'll let you or CactusJoe know if I can pull this off.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Post up if you plan to join...
    Well duh, I guess I'll be there. The big bike is feeling neglected, riding with all these fitness masochists lately.

I think it's time to feel the danger again. I'm getting all worked up now. Must bottle it and save it for monday....

Besides, I've riden the Ti Diva into the ground lately, and I think she needs a break. And a new drivetrain. Or at least an overhaul.

I'll be at your place at about 830-ish. Dibs on shotgun.

-JB
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Well dayum! I said DAYUM! Armor? I'm thinking anything that requires armor is beyond my wee-puppy coyote skills. Jury is out on this one. Hmm. Let me see if I can get a hall pass... and if so, I'm thinking I just need to bring the pom poms to cheer on you crazy cake kids as you take on the downhill. Awfully kind of you to offer your armor, Kathleen. Thank you. I'll let you or CactusJoe know if I can pull this off.
    Seriously, just listen to your instincts and you'll be fine.

That goes for all of you on the fence, by the way. Fear not the Goat Camp. Fear the fear of the Goat Camp. Or something like that.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Seriously, just listen to your instincts and you'll be fine.
    And if my instincts tell me this is over my head? heh-heh Just watched the vid, and ain't enough Cactus Juice in the world to make me take on that terrain.

Tucson, AZ
    So does this mean no Tucson visit for the Phx crew?

DG, I sent MC and Krein an email about your thread in case they are not on MTBR tomorrow.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    So does this mean no Tucson visit for the Phx crew?

DG, I sent MC and Krein an email about your thread in case they are not on MTBR tomorrow.
    Miligrosa for this Phx crew will be next week, probably on the 29th or the 30th when NewMexJoe and Jim Beam are visiting.

Thanks for passing on the Goat Camp info!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Hey Chadwick--thanks for the e'd headsup--we woulda missed this for sure.

And since you were kind enough to let us know about this here e-vent, we feel obliged to return the favor by pickin' you up at oh-seven-hundred on Monday AM to head out there with us.

The only remaining question to answer is whether you're making us breakfast or buying it en route?

And DG--thanks for the invite--looking forward to the gnar tech chunk challenge...

MC

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    And since you were kind enough to let us know about this here e-vent, we feel obliged to return the favor by pickin' you up at oh-seven-hundred on Monday AM to head out there with us.
    Breakfast burritos will be ready and hot. See you tomorrow and/or Monday.

MTBikeAZ.com
    This is shaping up to be an MTBR celebrity ride. Although I'm not worthy to tread in any of your tracks, I can't pass up an opportunity to hobnob with this gang of epic riders. I've had a hankering for Goat for a while now. I'll try to keep up. See you there.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    And if my instincts tell me this is over my head? heh-heh Just watched the vid, and ain't enough Cactus Juice in the world to make me take on that terrain.
    Girl, you will eat up the climb. Sure it starts with a brutal hike-a-bike, but then it's smooth uphill climbing for some 8 or 10 miles to way up top where you will be treated with awesome trails and great views of the Valley. The DH part does have a heavy dose of nastiness, but much of it is quite ridable even for whimpy Coyote pups. The nasty stuff... you can try some of it or you can just get off and walk. No shame in walking on this ride! The slower folks will not be left behind because those doing the chunk like to do it over and over so there will be lots of sessioning and videotaping and picture taking. Bring your pom poms and wear my armor. You will have a blast!!! Hope you can get away for the day. Now if only we can get SuLing to call in sick....

Kathleen in AZ
    Hey Chadwick--thanks for the e'd headsup--we woulda missed this for sure.

The only remaining question to answer is whether you're making us breakfast or buying it en route?

And DG--thanks for the invite--looking forward to the gnar tech chunk challenge...

MC
    Sweeeet! I'm really glad you boys will be making the trip up north.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarqsMan
    This is shaping up to be an MTBR celebrity ride. Although I'm not worthy to tread in any of your tracks, I can't pass up an opportunity to hobnob with this gang of epic riders. I've had a hankering for Goat for a while now. I'll try to keep up. See you there.
    I'm slow as molasses on the uphills now-a-days and I'm supposed to be conservative on the DHs to avoid falling on my fractured scapula. You won't be slowing me down . I'm expecting a relaxing (albeit painful) day on the White Tank trails. It won't be a race and hopefully the more speedy folks won't mind waiting up for the slower folks. Group ride! Bring lots of snacks cause we might be out there for a while. And anyone up for a meal and brew after the ride is invited to drive on over to the Gordon Biersch near the big new arena in Glendale after the ride.

http://tinyurl.com/85bzly

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I wanna go but havent been ridin much this year. I just started back a couple months ago plus goat camp scares me :-)

Damn this is my neck of the woods also. I just drive down Olive and Im there *ugh*

i like cheese.
    Monday?!?!? c'mon... y'all are killing me.

Saucy Size
    I'm out -- started feeling a little cold roll in yesterday evening, today woke up with a sore throat, this evening I've got snot pouring out my nose. Yuck!

Got a nice little ride in on T100 today, though, which is probably what pushed me over the edge.

p.

Salty Dog
    Ok, after Hawes this morning, I'm in for GC. I will watch and learn...

C U all there in the morning!

Tommy

aka Diesel
    Girl, you will eat up the climb. Sure it starts with a brutal hike-a-bike, but then it's smooth uphill climbing for some 8 or 10 miles to way up top where you will be treated with awesome trails and great views of the Valley. The DH part does have a heavy dose of nastiness, but much of it is quite ridable even for whimpy Coyote pups. The nasty stuff... you can try some of it or you can just get off and walk. No shame in walking on this ride! The slower folks will not be left behind because those doing the chunk like to do it over and over so there will be lots of sessioning and videotaping and picture taking. Bring your pom poms and wear my armor. You will have a blast!!! Hope you can get away for the day. Now if only we can get SuLing to call in sick....

And you had totally convinced me.
    I was SO in.
    Now I'll be doing some geriatric spinning on Hawes tomorrow afternoon, to force my muscles and my psyche to re-engage. Have FUN and I want in on the next time, demmit.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Animatorman
    I wanna go but havent been ridin much this year. I just started back a couple months ago plus goat camp scares me :-)

Damn this is my neck of the woods also. I just drive down Olive and Im there *ugh*
    You could always do the XC version... just go as far as you want on the uphill and then turn around and rip back to the cars - no commitments to a big long ride, just do what you feel like doing. If you're off work today AND you live out there you really should join us!

Scott in Tucson

Out

Both Chad and I have bailed (we were going to carpool). MC is en route, might be a couple minutes late since he's taking the I-8 Phoenix bypass route.

GC is still on the todo list for both of us, but today is not the day. Have fun out there.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Kathleen in AZ
    Bummer Paul. Take care of yourself. Soup, hot tea, cold meds, rest and time. I'm still blowing snot and my cold was two weeks ago

Tucson, AZ
    Bummer Paul. Take care of yourself. Soup, hot tea, cold meds, rest and time. I'm still blowing snot and my cold was two weeks ago
    Add Krein and I to the list of sick mtbers (must have been that 37-degree morning ride I did on Saturday). Good timing though?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Good ride today guys....and DG! You guys rock and I had a blast....except when I decided to try to ride that cactus! You'll have to post that pic DG. Can't wait to do it again.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tonloc08
    Good ride today guys....and DG! You guys rock and I had a blast....except when I decided to try to ride that cactus! You'll have to post that pic DG. Can't wait to do it again.
    Great ride! Cold ride! Seven showed up to brave the unusual Phx elements. Mikesee got a taste of the chunk stuff and also got to show off his trailside repairs on both a local kid's beater and on his own tire that blew a bead. I was colder than I like and I lost half my armor off my Camelbak somewhere on the long climb, but all in all it was a good ride. No carnage this time except for the cactus needles in Tony's tender underside and lots of good runs down the Spiral Staircase and Jackhammer. Videos are going to have to wait until later tomorrow, but here are a few pictures. Oh, and some nice hiker turned in my lost armor at the guard station so I'm set to roll again asap!

And another thing.... the new Mesquite connector trail is the bomb!!! It is the new way to the top for all my future Goat Camp rides.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by tonloc08
    Holy crap dude...I didn't realize you got so...intimate...with the plantlife out there!

Yeah I'd have been hurtin too.

That was the best ride I've done in a long time. Perfect mix of smooth steady climbing (Yeah DG, Mesquite rocks) on a nice pitch rewarded by some serious chunk on the downhill. For some reason, GC just felt better today. Awesome.

TheBarqsMan gets the MVP award. No jacket, no pads...and no fear. Nice.

MTBikeAZ.com
    Awesome ride today. Thanks to all for showing me the ropes of GC. I'll definitely be back to ride it again and again... or at least till I clean the Jackhammer.

The MVP award was nice CJ, but I can only get so lucky, so many times... I just might need to invest in some armor if GC is going to be a regular ride.

Looking forward to DurtGurl's videos, and Mikesee took a million crazy pics too. Hope he posts them on his blog.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

Salty Dog
    Nicely done, kids. I enjoyed my part of the ride for the first 6 miles. Sorry I had to bail due to time constraints, dammit! I will do the whole enchilada next time. I flatted about 2 1/2 miles from the Mesquite lot. Split a sidewall and the damn backup tube wouldn't hold air. Had to walk it out from there. I love the climbing! Such a gorgeous place to ride on a perfect riding day. DG, as always, continues to amaze me. Nice to meet and ride with the rest of the guys.

Scott in Tucson
    More pics and vids? Still dribbling along here with my cold. Need more visuals of what I missed...
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    More pics and vids? Still dribbling along here with my cold. Need more visuals of what I missed...
    Here you go... a few clips from the trail from the chilly ride on Monday that you missed. Sure was nice to meet Mikesee. We even switched bikes at the end of the ride:

from DurtGurl on Vimeo.

Scott in Tucson
    Thanks for putting that together. Some good stuff in there!

"Almost cheating" on MC's hopping. Ha!

Looking forward to getting out there.

This place needs an enema
    A fine time was had by all...

...all that bothered to show up, that is.

ChadBo and Scott--y'all get 25 demerits plus 3 days of the sniffles for laming out on such a great ride.

The weather was decidedly non-Phoenician: gloomy, gray and intermittently spitting on us. Didn't dampen (<-ha!) anyone's enthusiasm for the ride, tho'...

I admit that I was a bit confused by the layering thing many of y'all had going on. It was 50-something out there. Were you planning ahead for an overnight ride and forgot to invite me?!!?

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of bench-cut trail on the climb:

Seemed like the vast bulk was IMBA-spec and downright sanitized.

The above 'sanitized' comment is neither a complaint nor a judgment--more of a confused observation after having seen the descent.

The mellow middle-ring grade of the climb was very welcome, actually, after torching my legs for several days following Scott.

The mellow grade was also welcome in that it made it easy to look around and stop for pics. That had emphatically NOT been the case the three previous days with Scott.

Leafing ocotillo? In December? Must not be in Kansas anymore...

Snack stop:

The climb went on and on--in a most enjoyable way:

And then (snap!) the climbing was done and folks were in various states of armoring up, swapping clippy pedals for flats, adding more layers ( ) and eating. Oh yeah--and doling out warnings intended to scare the bejeezus outta the noobs (raises hand). Note to scarers: It worked.

The initial section of the descent was over-the-top steep with big holes and no room for error. I kept my hands on the bars (even/especially when walking) and the camera stayed in the pack.

Once we made it down to ~level ground (<-Ha! As if!) the camera came out a few times to record some skilled, patient, and humble riders making this trail look easy.

And after all was said and done, it sure seemed like someone was trying to talk herself into a new bike...

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Thanks again for the day y'all--I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Cheerios,

MC

Kathleen in AZ

The weather was decidedly non-Phoenician: gloomy, gray and intermittently spitting on us. Didn't dampen (<-ha!) anyone's enthusiasm for the ride, tho'... I admit that I was a bit confused by the layering thing many of y'all had going on. It was 50-something out there. Were you planning ahead for an overnight ride and forgot to invite me?!!?

And then (snap!) the climbing was done and folks were in various states of armoring up, swapping clippy pedals for flats, adding more layers ( ) and eating. Oh yeah--and doling out warnings intended to scare the bejeezus outta the noobs (raises hand). Note to scarers: It worked.

And after all was said and done, it sure seemed like someone was trying to talk herself into a new bike...

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Thanks again for the day y'all--I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Cheerios,

MC
    Glad you had a good ride and got to experience this treasure of ours called Goat Camp. Used to be that the ascent was as hard as the descent but since they benched in all the new trails over the last few years, the climbing is smooth and "easy" (except for the obligatory hike-a-bike at the beginning) and has opened up the Goat for all to enjoy (or curse).

As for all the layering, Mr. Iditarod, we live in southern Arizona!! I was literally frozen by mid-day - chilled to the core, teeth chattering, and my legs could hardly move. You looked naked with all that exposed skin just waiting to be shredded by the rocks or vegetation. I trust you were comfortable with the weather, but maybe next time bring some armor for the other hazards, ok?

Thanks for the spin on your bike. I felt right at home

Too many Sedonuts...
    Mike those were some amazing shots, thank you.

It was good meeting and riding with you, sounds like your travels were safe and not too hampered by the storms.

Until next time...

-JB