AZ trip /Sedona recommendations anyone?- Mtbr.com
    I bent my wookie.
    Jun 2007

AZ trip /Sedona recommendations anyone?

Hey everyone,
    I've never been to Sedona area trails and was curious about trail recommendations, must rides, etc? I'm aiming to do a 2-3 day MTB trip early next week. Want to hit up the best Sedona, or nearby area has to offer. I like to mix it up on the SS so I was thinking about doing some 20+ mi loops. Or longer? Thanks for your input

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    When you get to Sedona, stop by a bike shop. Buy yourself a map and have the guy at the shop highlight some loops for you. Enjoy.

The Next 100 Miler
    I just did the Dry Creek Long Loop as described in Cosmic Ray's book on Arizona mountain bike trails (page 85). Great trail with a lot of nice scenery. Girdner Trail coming up, through and in/out of the Dry Creek bed was a bit above my level with a bunch of HAB.

Even with the description from the book, a good map and a Garmin GPS, I missed three turns and had to back track. That made my ride a total of 20 miles. As a first timer, be prepared to miss some turns and explore. You will be out there longer than planned just because it takes time to find your way around.

Sedona is all rocky, some trails tougher than others. Most trails the maps rate as intermediate, would be expert in other places I've ridden. Many trails change quickly from smooth flowing single track to tech ledges, steps and chunk.

It is a beautiful place, have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am visiting Sedona right now and having a blast. My two cents......head to bike and bean with a six pack and buy the map and they will outline all the good stuff to ride. There are some new trails that are not on the map but they gave us the beta to find it. You can park right at the shop and be on trails in a matter of minutes!

My primary bike is a single speed but opted to bring a squishy with gears and I am so glad i did. You can definitely pull off riding a single speed here but it's so much fun to try and ride all the techy rock stuff when you are not bouncing all over the place on a HT. Even the intermediate rides have lots of techy downs and punchy rocky ups. I am from colorado and 20 miles in sedona is harder than the typical 20 miler in Colorado. You never seem to stop pedaling here because there are not many sustained downhills

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The Sedona map you want is called the "Core" map. Has all the latest and greatest rides. Pick it up at Over the Edge. Dynamic SS riding in Sedona with lots of power boost moves.

If you want to warm up a little and want more sustained climbs/descents check out the Black Canyon trail 1+ hour south. Killer trail stretching for nearly 70 miles. Can be done in a big day. More info at Sonoran MTB Cheers!
    www.sonoranmtb.com
    facebook.com/sonoranexpeditions
    "Riding the Sonoran Desert since 1969"

mtbr member
    Connect with the guys at Bike and Bean super cool and great guides and beer/pizza in the shop afterwords just makes it an epic day!!