AZ Single speeders, what gear do you run?- Mtbr.com
    XC Geek

AZ Single speeders, what gear do you run?

I've just converted a ride to single speed and I'm curious what gear ratio others use, I'll probably ride it most in areas like Pima and Dynamite.
    Thanks
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Steelhead
    I've just converted a ride to single speed and I'm curious what gear ratio others use, I'll probably ride it most in areas like Pima and Dynamite.
    Thanks
    34:18 is my do-everything ratio. I've never ridden anything different, and I've taken it up/down National, Hawes, P&D, Sedona, all over Flag, Payson, Prescott, Mt. Lemmon, etc.. But I'm thinking of picking up a 17 so I can run a true 2:1 on flat/fast stuff like Desert Classic.

But maybe I should drop 20# first.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

34x18 here too

Seems to work for me everywhere that I have ridden it, Hawes, Pass Mtn, Desert Classic, 24HITOP... Haven't tried anything else yet though.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by JDAZ
    Seems to work for me everywhere that I have ridden it, Hawes, Pass Mtn, Desert Classic, 24HITOP... Haven't tried anything else yet though.
    I forgot to mention: The singlespeed cult up in Flagstaff (the guys who are, have been, and always will be better than you -- not "you" but EVERYONE) pretty consistently run 32:18. I hung with them pretty well with my 34:18, in fact I was faster on flats and some shallow climbs, but they were less worn out after 6 hours of thin air and tall mountains.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

wheeeee!!!

depends...

For more flat rides, including p&d, DC, the old pueblo, and my local (t-bird park) I run 2:1 (32x16). For lotsa climbing I'll go 32x18 or even 32x20.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Steelhead
    Thanks

XC Geek
    I kind of figured I should have used the 18 tooth cog instead of the 16 with a 34 tooth front, oh well live and learn. It did make for an interesting ride though.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

mtbr member
    I just switched from a 32-16 to a 32-18. It's a bit too small (or is it big, whatever, it's too easy) for me. I ride a lot of T100 E of DD, so lots of loose, gradual and some very steep stuff. For T100, I'd say a small rear cog would be better, as most of the climbs are short and not rocky (so standing and climbing is easier since you don't have the loose stuff).

Portable curmudgeon

Thirty-six twenty on Fifty etc.

I'm on 36:20 (1.8:1), which is betwixt Mr. B.'s 34:18 (1.88:1) and the Flagstaff mutant contingent's 32:18 (1.77:1). For what its worth, this ratio pulls my Clydesdale (m)ass all over the 50-Year Trail, Tucson Mountain Park, and Fantasy Island. Are those places comparable to P&D?

I was running a 34:20 (1.7:1) and it was getting to feel too low down here in the bajadas. Or maybe I finally got stronger or lost weight (shyah right). As summer draws closer and higher altitude, climbing-intensive rides beckon, I might switch back to the lower combo. Or maybe that's what that cobweb-covered geared hardtail is for.

An unsolicited $0.02 for you: I recommend against smaller combos (32:18) if you can get a similar ratio out of higher tooth counts. Its minimally heavier and reduces ground clearance somewhat, but I like knowing I have a lot of chain wrapped up when I'm hammering out of the saddle. That's just me.

Bike down.
    AZB