awesome vacation [ lots of pics ]

Just got back from another great trip in Arizona! For now, I'll let the pics tell the story. There are a few Utah pics mixed in too. Later...

Last edited by (Tom); 05-31-2005 at 01:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice pics! Looks like a good time.

Rita

It rains here. :(
    Yup, that blurry last pic is what I saw the last time I was in Vegas too.

After 15 rum and Cokes at the blackjack table!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Nice to see that you made it out to prescott.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

I am Doctor Remulak
    I really like the self portrait shadow picture. Looks like you had a good vacation here in the southwest.

Glad you all liked the pics !

Jm I think it was you who gave us Prescott trail advice - I wasn't sure if it was you, so I didn't ask. Anyway, we followed the loop fine - Up 62 to 104?? to 299 to 297 to 305. There was one unmarked left turn on 104?? that almost threw me but we stuck to the loop. Pushing our bikes up the ATV trail on the powerlines (299) I started to wonder if it would be worth it but in the end it was. 297 was a friggin blast, and 305 was perfect - smooth as glass and just the perfect downhill grade with lots of dips and turns that you could really rail on. We saw noone else the whole ride except forest service truck on the dirt road. Swimming in Lynx lake and the Mexican food at Hugo's capped off a fine day. Thanks for the 411.

Best Sedona ride was Schnebly Hill road to the Schnebly Hill Trail to Munds Wagon downhill. We followed the Schnebly Hill Trail to the top where it took a sharp left turn at the intersection of hot loop/munds trail then turned around and blasted back down the mountain. Question: Anyone know what the rest of the trail is like? According to the map it flattens out quite a bit across and travels across the mesa. I had visions of a singletrack trail traversing an open grassland with 360 degree views but it's probably just wishfull thinking. Munds/Hot loop looked sweet from the intersection but according to the map it enters Wilderness at that point.

Disappointed that the Rainbow Rim trail was snowed in, but the section of the AZ trail we rode was real nice. The rangers were telling us that it was snowed it at 9000 feet but we made it up to 8500 and didn't see any snow anywhere at all. I figure if it were snowed in you'd at least see some patches here and there at that elevation. Maybe there was just a lot more snow closer to the rim.

Anyway, a great riding out there and still lots more to explore.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=(Tom)]
    Best Sedona ride was Schnebly Hill road to the Schnebly Hill Trail to Munds Wagon downhill. We followed the Schnebly Hill Trail to the top where it took a sharp left turn at the intersection of hot loop/munds trail then turned around and blasted back down the mountain. Question: Anyone know what the rest of the trail is like? According to the map it flattens out quite a bit across and travels across the mesa. I had visions of a singletrack trail traversing an open grassland with 360 degree views but it's probably just wishfull thinking. Munds/Hot loop looked sweet from the intersection but according to the map it enters Wilderness at that point.

Disappointed that the Rainbow Rim trail was snowed in, but the section of the AZ trail we rode was real nice. The rangers were telling us that it was snowed it at 9000 feet but we made it up to 8500 and didn't see any snow anywhere at all. I figure if it were snowed in you'd at least see some patches here and there at that elevation. Maybe there was just a lot more snow closer to the rim.
    QUOTE]

Not that I've ridden the stretch between Schnebly and Jack's Canyon or Hot Loop but the views are limited because the higher Mund's Mountain is between the mesa and the Mogollon Rim/Sedona/Verde Valley. The trail is also extremely technical until you're out of the wilderness area. It basically drops down a fault break and is very steep. As for the stretch over to Hoot Loop I would imagine it is loaded with basalt boulders on top of the mesa if its anything like the section of Hot Loop from Jack's down to the creek.

As for the Rainbow Rim the rangers probably didn't want vehicle travel on the FS roads heading out to the points such as Timp, Fire, or Paraswampits. I'll bet the trail is completely rideable because it is mostly south facing with lots of sun exposure but some of the rides are in and out of canyons and still wet and/or snow covered. The section of the AZ trail from the horse corral to the park boundary is splendid, especially in the Fall.

Nice trip report!

Thanks Rockman ...

Also, the Hot Loop/Munds trail lower near Oak Creek looked interesting - I suppose you could ride up this and turn around where the trail enters wilderness. I had the emmit banks cartography map for both flag and sedona and it was invaluable for planning good rides.

We'll be back - I'd like to ride the AZ trail from the rim to Highway 89A sometime. I think a cool ride would be to get shuttled to the Rim and ride (mostly) downhill back to Jacob Lake on the singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by (Tom)
    Thanks Rockman ...

We'll be back - I'd like to ride the AZ trail from the rim to Highway 89A sometime. I think a cool ride would be to get shuttled to the Rim and ride (mostly) downhill back to Jacob Lake on the singletrack.
    I mainly ride it north to south and only from the Horse Corral (about halfway between Jacob Lake and the GCNP boundary) but either direction is fun. If you don't have a shuttle vehicle you can make a loop utilizing Tater Canyon and FS522?

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by (Tom)
    Glad you all liked the pics !

Jm I think it was you who gave us Prescott trail advice - I wasn't sure if it was you, so I didn't ask. Anyway, we followed the loop fine - Up 62 to 104?? to 299 to 297 to 305. There was one unmarked left turn on 104?? that almost threw me but we stuck to the loop. Pushing our bikes up the ATV trail on the powerlines (299) I started to wonder if it would be worth it but in the end it was. 297 was a friggin blast, and 305 was perfect - smooth as glass and just the perfect downhill grade with lots of dips and turns that you could really rail on. We saw noone else the whole ride except forest service truck on the dirt road. Swimming in Lynx lake and the Mexican food at Hugo's capped off a fine day. Thanks for the 411.
    Glad to hear you liked it, and yes everyone wonders "is this worth it?" while straining to get up to the ridge.

We did an interesteding and hugely fun ride last weekend, we rode up 305, up 297 to Spruce Mtn Road, then to the top of Spruce Mtn, then down a 5.5 mile trail to Senator Highway, went towards town on Senator highway for about 3 miles, then picked up the end of 299, went up 299 untill where it intersects with 9104 or whatever it is, and then took sevenmile gulch down to the bottom, and came back to the cars at costco. This proved to be a very fun loop as well, although it has over a third more climbing (so more like 3000') and more miles. There's also some great big loops out at Granite Basin, if you come during a little cooler period.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth