Avid Disc Brake Pads?- Mtbr.com
    "Yabut"

Avid Disc Brake Pads?

I have a question for those of you with Avid mechanical discs. Is there a particular brand of pad that works better than others? I usually just use the Avid brand, but the time has come for new ones, and I was wondering if I should try another brand for the hell of it.

Yes, the doctor says my neck is healed, and I can start riding again in one more month!! So I have to get Betsy ready to ROLL!!

~Aaron~

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    I have a question for those of you with Avid mechanical discs. Is there a particular brand of pad that works better than others? I usually just use the Avid brand, but the time has come for new ones, and I was wondering if I should try another brand for the hell of it.

Yes, the doctor says my neck is healed, and I can start riding again in one more month!! So I have to get Betsy ready to ROLL!!

~Aaron~
    I like EBC green's and Koolstop.

fear this
    Any pad from a well known manufacturer is going to work fine. My Avids are great though, any particular reason you want to change brands?
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie
    Commencal Meta HT AM chromoly

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaker666
    Any pad from a well known manufacturer is going to work fine. My Avids are great though, any particular reason you want to change brands?

I just thought that since I was buying new pads, I may as well try something new. And if someone had a good suggestion, I would try it.

~Aaron~

mtbr member
    I would second the EBC Greens they seam to last a little better than Avids. I was told to avoid anything with sintered metal pads as they too hard and will wear on the rotors.

T

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Other than the EBC Greens lasting long, what is good about them? Do they have more bite than other pads or something? I'm also going to need new pads on my avid mechanicals soon. I know there is really no comparison, but I had EBC Green Stuff pads on my BMW 328is (yes a car) and they were awful! Hahaha, I just hope the same doesn't go for bicycles!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken

~Aaron~
    GREAT NEWS!!!! Who cares about brake pads, I'm just so glad to hear that you will soon be back on your bike. That is awesome, Aaron. Are your ribs all healed up now?

Well, I guess if you are getting back on the bike then you DO need to make sure your brakes are in good working condition . The Avid replacement pads seem to work just fine for me so I've never considered anything else.

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    GREAT NEWS!!!! Who cares about brake pads, I'm just so glad to hear that you will soon be back on your bike. That is awesome, Aaron. Are your ribs all healed up now?

Well, I guess if you are getting back on the bike then you DO need to make sure your brakes are in good working condition . The Avid replacement pads seem to work just fine for me so I've never considered anything else.

The ribs, ah yes. They still remind me that they are there, and broken. And my chest is not quite the same shape it used to be. I guess when stuff breaks, it doesn't always go back to where it was. I think that crash will be with me for the rest of my life. Aaaah, the memories.....

~Aaron~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian3900
    Other than the EBC Greens lasting long, what is good about them? Do they have more bite than other pads or something? I'm also going to need new pads on my avid mechanicals soon. I know there is really no comparison, but I had EBC Green Stuff pads on my BMW 328is (yes a car) and they were awful! Hahaha, I just hope the same doesn't go for bicycles!
    If long lasting doesnít matter to you I am going to guess that less expensive wonít either. If what you are looking for is performance than you may want to spend the money on something else. As for me I am cheep and need to get the most for my money. Also I do not ride very aggressively and so I choose durability over performance. Just my $.02.

T

my knees hurt
    Welcome back....and I wil second the EBC greens.....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl

Yes being back on the bike is way more important then what kind of pads you are breaking with.

After suffering a slipped disc this June I was unable to walk let a lone ride for nearly one month. The road to recovery was a slow one with a lot of ups and downs. I mostly feel good while exercising and then lockup and hurt like hell as soon as I lay down at night. Lots of stretching seams to help and the more I do the better I feel so thatís good I guess.

Good luck with the back and rib problem and I am sure you will enjoy being able to get back on the bike.

T

Members who have read this thread: 0