Arizona visit- Mtbr.com

Thread: Arizona visit

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Arizona visit

I'm going to be staying in an RV park in Apache Junction during Feb & March to do some mountain biking, visiting, & road riding. I've ridden in Sedona & McDowell, & I plan to ride South Mountain on this trip. What I want to know is about road riding around Apache Junction, are there any good/safe 30-50 mile training rides in that area? I'm coming from Michigan, & I'm not familiar with that area. Are there any other mtn bike areas I need to be aware of. Thanks for any help.
    dm

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dmassey
    I'm going to be staying in an RV park in Apache Junction during Feb & March to do some mountain biking, visiting, & road riding. I've ridden in Sedona & McDowell, & I plan to ride South Mountain on this trip. What I want to know is about road riding around Apache Junction, are there any good/safe 30-50 mile training rides in that area? I'm coming from Michigan, & I'm not familiar with that area. Are there any other mtn bike areas I need to be aware of. Thanks for any help.

Tortilla Flat to the end of the pavement. From the VFW post at Brown\Lost Dutchman its 42 miles of the best roadieing in AZ. The topos in the links below are from my house which add 13 miles on either end. Early morning is better, weekdays are better. There are group rides and informal races, but you'd have better luck on the roadie forums for that.

http://chollaball.net/blog/2009/06/h...choolyear.html

http://chollaball.net/blog/2009/07/t...th-cheese.html
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    I'm going to be staying in an RV park in Apache Junction
    I'm so sorry
    during Feb & March to do some mountain biking, visiting, & road riding. I've ridden in Sedona & McDowell, & I plan to ride South Mountain on this trip. What I want to know is about road riding around Apache Junction, are there any good/safe 30-50 mile training rides in that area? I'm coming from Michigan, & I'm not familiar with that area. Are there any other mtn bike areas I need to be aware of. Thanks for any help.
    I have not rodebiked in a long time, and I can't vouch for the Beeline south of Shea Blvd, but the Fountain Hills area is, IMHO, the best road cycling in the Phoenix area. Also, the road out to Apache Lake and Tortilla Flat is suppose to be nice, and challenging, but I personally have not ridden out there. I've driven out there, and the shoulders seem pretty narrow. But I do know it's popular with road cyclists.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    That tortilla flats ride that is mentioned is hands down the best ride in Phoenix - just head out and go to the end of the pavement like CB stated above. (I could ride that every day for a month and love it everytime!)

Also check out the rides by Saguaro lake, Usery park etc. I think they are accessable from AJ... someone else will post those rides.

Fountain hills loop is OK... also, the area around Cave creek is great, however both are pretty far from AJ if you do not have a car.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Also check out the rides by Saguaro lake, Usery park etc. I think they are accessable from AJ... someone else will post those rides.
    WRT Saguaro Lake and Usery, both are accessed via Ellsworth Road in AJ\E. Mesa. when you hit Bush Highway, you go east to get to the lake, or west to do the Usery Loop. You can also start from along Power Rd at McDowell or Thomas. Both are fun, but Tortilla is better and closer to you. If you want a shorter day, you can ride Tortilla just to town and back for about 30 mile RT.

If you are getting in your car to come do either of these rides, I'd bring the MTB and ride either Pass Mtn. or Hawes. Usery and Saguaro are my bread-and-butter roadie loops because they are out my front door and make for tidy 1-2 hr rides, but the S-curves and hills on Tortilla blow them both away.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Members who have read this thread: 0