Arizona is rad!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Arizona is rad!

mtbr member

Arizona is rad!

I am looking at my calendar and in every weekend in April and into May has a great ride or event to attend.

Beerduro, Whiskey, DFMBL party/ride event, Whiskey pre-ride with Ironclad bikes, and on and on. All over the state we got stuff going on all year round. We truly are the most fortunate riders in the country!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

The Original Suspect
    I agree man! I would bet we have the longest riding season of anywhere in the US! With world class trails!!!

Click Click Click
    Don't forget about the McDowell Night Ride series that should be starting up soon also
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    That's where you are wrong, sir. Arizona has hikers. They ruin my day. Also horses.

But you are absolutely right. Feels good knowing that there is always something around the corner should I miss an event or group ride. We are truly spoiled.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

How much further ???
    True dat.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Always in the wrong gear
    Don't spread the word. We already have enough snowbirds.

I totally agree though.

mtbr member
    You're forgetting the AES Monstercross on the 4th. Registration still open:

https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/pm/

Ouch, I am hot!
    AZ sucks.

1. It's too hot. Freaking 90 in March.
    2. Way too much pollen.
    3. PMP has too much chunk.
    4. SoMo has too many hikers.
    5. Did I say that it's 90 in March?
    6. We have deadly monsoon storms.
    7. Casual Observer lives here, and way too close to me.
    8. The weather at Old Pueblo is unpredictable and usually sucks.
    9. Scorpions, poisonous snakes, termites, those noisy cricket things and Casual Observer.
    10. And last year, biblical floods.

Nope. Don't come here. It blows. San Diego, Utah and so many other places are better. I wish I could follow the example of Skinny Tire and get out of this place.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    We are really lucky to live in a state with so much public land and few user conflicts (i.e. horse/bike in coastal CA). Most huge cities suck to live (as it relates to mt. biking) in always having to drive to the one trailhead with 6 mile loop an hour from the front door. I do hate the hot weather but ..... now spend most time in Pine building trail ....new schedule ..... get up.. drink coffee ..... run the dogs .... then choose ... bike or build trail? Would love to have some new trail builders. Visit the Pine Strawberry Fuel reduction website for trail building schedule. Usually
    every Saturday 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM..... I am serious.... we need some help! Glad to be a tour guide to anyone wanting to come up and ride also... Ah.... life is good .....

mtbr member
    90- I need to get up there and do one of those trail days, then ride the trails then go to That Brewery for a cold one!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    90- I need to get up there and do one of those trail days, then ride the trails then go to That Brewery for a cold one!
    ^^^ This. I plan on making more trail work days a priority.

I've been asked a few times recently what trails do I ride the most. I have to pause, because I don't stick to any one trail system, but if I had to pick one it would be S.Mtn only because I work next to it. For me, the difficulty is picking WHERE to ride, so many solid choices.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

CDK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir View Post
    AZ sucks.

1. It's too hot. Freaking 90 in March.
    2. Way too much pollen.
    3. PMP has too much chunk.
    4. SoMo has too many hikers.
    5. Did I say that it's 90 in March?
    6. We have deadly monsoon storms.
    7. Casual Observer lives here, and way too close to me.
    8. The weather at Old Pueblo is unpredictable and usually sucks.
    9. Scorpions, poisonous snakes, termites, those noisy cricket things and Casual Observer.
    10. And last year, biblical floods.

Nope. Don't come here. It blows. San Diego, Utah and so many other places are better. I wish I could follow the example of Skinny Tire and get out of this place.
    You forgot to mention that Arizona now has the real life equivalent to Elmer Fudd running the state!
    I am glad to hear that some of you love it here so much but I can not wait to leave. Only a couple more months and im outta here!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, if you're primarily a weekend warrior, or a huge spode, Arizona sucks big vacuum cleaner attachments. Infinitely better places to be if access to hundreds and hundreds of miles of single track isn't a priority for you.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

The Original Suspect
    I'd put the Phoenix area right up there with anyplace for sheer number of quality trails within a short distance. Depending on what part of the valley you live in, nothing is really more than an hour away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    cstem get you and your bike up here ... bring a bud ..... got a few more miles of trail since the race...

mtbr member
    How much do you change your ride times in the Summer to beat the heat??

How much further ???
    Um Im up at 5 am and done by 9am latest. But that's in the most extreme time of the year. Night riding is always an option too. All I know is I've had 4 Lagunitas IPA's and Im about to put the lights on and ride to some single track from my house. Life is good.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Always in the wrong gear
    Mine change a lot. Oct-March I ride whenever I want. Day or night.
    April I'm usually on the trail shortly after a sunrise breakfast. By June/July, I'm pedaling as soon as I can see the trail, or I wait until dusk and night ride. I *can* ride in triple digits, and have, but it's gnarly and miserable.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Weekdays, I don't change a thing. Typically on the trail at 3pm until 5:30. Riding at that time of day in July is a topic for another thread. Weekends, at the trailhead before sunrise and aim to be finished by 11a or so. OR, I jump in the car and head north!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    July/aug i try to be pedaling by 0600.
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    Thanks... It's my first summer of riding here in AZ.
    Ok, I get up at 4am Monday - Thursday, so getting early on the weekends shouldn't be to tough.
    But I'm still wanting to do some night rides.

Thanks!

No Clue Crew
    In the summer if I'm not on the trail by 5a it's too late...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Fiancee got a new job with her company so we relocated to Michigan in January. Excited to get to ski again but i got a shop space for bikes, added one to the quiver and all i can do is look at it! AZ is fantastic for mtn biking. Hit a trail for those of us stuck in the midwest will ya.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post
    How much do you change your ride times in the Summer to beat the heat??
    I just night ride, A LOT. Lights have really come down in price the last few years. Even if it is still 100 out, without the sun beaming down on you it is not too bad. I also freeze my camelback bladder laying flat, so there is a solid block of ice on my back for a good hour or so. I also carry 2 bottles on the bike, one totally frozen at the start of the ride and the other one half frozen. The fully frozen one is just for squirting in my helmet. I probably do that about every 15 minutes or so during a 1 - 2 hour ride (you should see me at the end of a ride, talk about a smelly soaking wet mess - with a huge smile on my face). I also use the neck cooler things, and the arm cooler/sun shade things. All of these things in combo make riding even during the middle of the day tolerable, and at night it is actually my favorite time of year. NO Hikers / Horses or any of that to deal with (well I do run into a few hikers on my local trail at night with no lights, little water and they tell me to "be careful" LOL.
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Summer riding is great - NO HIKERS !
    That's only time I get to ride in AM, Too damn cold outside of the SUmmer.
    ALso no warm up necessary - you are warmed up and good to before you get on the bike.
    Riding in heat does wonders for the V02 max...if you make it back on two wheels not four.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah I don't change a whole lot during the summer. Longer rides over 2 hours I will sometimes do early AM but usually since I hate getting up early I end up going out after 7 or 8PM. Sometimes later depending on family schedule. Less that 1.5 hours and I'll go out anytime. Those rides I don't really push it on the climbs and I will stop fairly frequently if shade presents itself on the trail.

I've been doing this for 3-4 summers though and I know my body very well at this point. Just because I or anyone else can ride at this time doesn't mean you can. People die here every year - the desert doesn't forgive the unprepared. IMO take as much water as you can carry, plus your electrolyte needs. Just because you know that a ride wouldn't normally take more than an hour doesn't mean than can't be doubled or tripled in the event of an accident or mechanical issue. Now your one hour water supply is a big issue. Depending where you are (even in popular places) you can't anticipate someone being there to help you out when it is that hot.

Bottom line is figure out what works for you, but be smart about it.