Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AzMtbeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    89

    Arizona indoor bike park

    Could Az benefit from a indoor bike park? I know the Fall/winter time is ideal for going biking, but in the summer time when the temps hit 110-120 deg wouldn't be nice to have a indoor bike park like Ray's indoor bike park?
    Check out some great MTB gear @ www.evomo.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMtbeR
    Could Az benefit from a indoor bike park? I know the Fall/winter time is ideal for going biking, but in the summer time when the temps hit 110-120 deg wouldn't be nice to have a indoor bike park like Ray's indoor bike park?
    Would it be motor-powered bicycle friendly?

    120 degrees in AZ in the summer? Peshaw.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    AZ is a broke ass state....Good Luck!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    774
    Most people go up north when the snow melts... better than any bike park I could imagine.

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Dude, we can't even get an outdoor bike park to be legit.

    It takes years of working with the forest circus just to get a log roller built. And screw the IMBA with there don't build anything to big or scary lecture...

  6. #6
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,406
    Why, you have year-round riding in Phoenix?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Why, you have year-round riding in Phoenix?
    We sure do. I love these noobs who think that once we hit triple digits that all us Phoenicians hid in our ACed houses.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  8. #8
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,273
    Good idea as an alternative. I for one find myself riding more in the summer not only up north but here in phx during the week especially with the longer days. The trails are so empty right now. The 40thst lot at PMP had two cars in it on Monday and Tuesday and yesterday at Go John didn't see a single soul. Plus I can use all the salt pellets off the back of my head for water softener. Perfect!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SPIDERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    302
    Ray was initially able to make it happen because of the low low cost of natural gas to heat the place. He was getting it for pennies on the dollar. The woman that owns the large brick industrial wharehouse that contains Ray's Indoor MTB Park purchases natural gas from the gas company in bulk (Ohio Edison I believe) . She passed the savings down to Ray which help to made it a viable operation. With the help of sponsers and the local MTB community, that place came to life. It is still growing as we speak.
    Basically someone would have to find a large wharehouse in a scummy part of town so that rent would be cheap, and then come up with a way to cool it for next to nothing. Add sponsers, the AZ MTB community and a really good liability policy/lawyer and there you go... Oh, and a person to donate their time to run it. Maybe a teacher or someone who doesn't work the summer months. FWIW
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

    Save the drama for your mama!!!

    Porkchop Sandwiches!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIDERS
    Ray was initially able to make it happen because of the low low cost of natural gas to heat the place. He was getting it for pennies on the dollar. The woman that owns the large brick industrial wharehouse that contains Ray's Indoor MTB Park purchases natural gas from the gas company in bulk (Ohio Edison I believe) . She passed the savings down to Ray which help to made it a viable operation. With the help of sponsers and the local MTB community, that place came to life. It is still growing as we speak.
    Basically someone would have to find a large wharehouse in a scummy part of town so that rent would be cheap, and then come up with a way to cool it for next to nothing. Add sponsers, the AZ MTB community and a really good liability policy/lawyer and there you go... Oh, and a person to donate their time to run it. Maybe a teacher or someone who doesn't work the summer months. FWIW
    No offense, but there is no ****ing way I'm spending $20 to ride my bike. Not when there are literally thousands of miles of trails within hours of my doorstep.
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 05-28-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    120
    Honestly,
    I don't think it would be very sucessfull for XC riders because you can really ride in AZ all year you just have to get up early or buy lights, or drive up to flag, all of which beat paying money to ride indoors. That said, i can see how rays park is successfull because in the midwest I think riding in 10 degree weather in the winter is pretty brutal and the temperature doesn't fluctualte much, so there it would be viable.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SPIDERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    No offense, but there is not ****ing way I'm spending $20 to ride my bike. Not when there are literally thousands of miles of trails within hours of my doorstep.
    None taken! When Ray's first opened I think that I paid something like $5 or $10 to get in and Ray hooked me up with a nice loaner bike for free (courtesy of a sponser). I was back there last month and he is charging for a rental bike plus the $20 to ride. It was still worth it though. There is a ton more to ride there now.
    The indoor riding thing (to me) is nothing like riding outdoors. The only similarity is that you are on a bike. It really focuses on skills, whereas riding outdoors is a combination of enjoying the ride mixed with skills. (if that makes sense) If there were such a park in AZ, people who are crunched for time or just want something different for a change would utilize it. I'm sure the BMXers would eat it up too. I really don't see something like Ray's happening out here, but if it did, it would definately be mixed into all of the other riding that I do outdoors.
    If I hit the Powerball I would build one.
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

    Save the drama for your mama!!!

    Porkchop Sandwiches!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    774
    I would love to use it if it was here.
    But I wouldn't go out of my way to make it happen, not because its a bad idea or the price is high. But AZ is full of whining babies and would find some way to put it down.

    Its funny people would complain about a $20 price for all day when they will spend 50-100 bucks for gas, and who knows what else kind of expenses for a couple shuttle runs in Globe and Flag.

  14. #14
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,273
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    and who knows what else kind of expenses for a couple shuttle runs in Globe and Flag.
    Food, beer and college women.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    I would love to use it if it was here.
    But I wouldn't go out of my way to make it happen, not because its a bad idea or the price is high. But AZ is full of whining babies and would find some way to put it down.

    Its funny people would complain about a $20 price for all day when they will spend 50-100 bucks for gas, and who knows what else kind of expenses for a couple shuttle runs in Globe and Flag.

    Dude, stop complaining already.

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    No offense, but there is no ****ing way I'm spending $20 to ride my bike. Not when there are literally thousands of miles of trails within hours of my doorstep.

    Thousands of miles of boring ass xc singletrack...no thanks...I forked over 279 for my Northstar pass.

    I'd pay for a skills park in AZ.....but it will never happen.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Thousands of miles of boring ass xc singletrack...no thanks...I forked over 279 for my Northstar pass.

    I'd pay for a skills park in AZ.....but it will never happen.
    You'll never learn.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,382
    Motorized bikes???? Arn't they called Motorcycles? Different forum.................Jrock IMBA lecture, good stuff, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    I'm thinking the 202/McKlintock underpass.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhFMf...layer_embedded

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Motorized bikes???? Arn't they called Motorcycles?
    Nope:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=618003

    I think we need more posts about riding non-mountain bikes on non-mountains.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    You'll never learn.

    I learn't there is more to riding bikes than riding around in circles in spandex on boring ass trails....

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    I learn't there is more to riding bikes than riding around in circles in spandex on boring ass trails....
    I assume you don't drink green tea either.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    This would be a no brainer to set up...maybe be a non profit and work with at risk and underprivlidged kids.

    A good enough legal team can keep you safe.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GR1822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,094
    Your not the only one w/ this idea. Check it out, from 6 months ago.http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=ray%27s

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tamen00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,025
    Here is my indoor bike park... Can ride it all year round and totally builds skillz!!

    Photobucket" width="549">

  26. #26
    Occidental Tourist
    Reputation: YuriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,563
    Put up a taco stand and a brewery on either side and you might have a chance
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

  27. #27
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Put up a taco stand and a brewery on either side and you might have a chance

    A strip club that serves beer and tacos..,.gotta teach the kids fundamentals.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Dude, stop complaining already.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    A strip club that serves beer and tacos..,.gotta teach the kids fundamentals.
    Why does it seem the best business ideas never happen.
    Just combine all the best things into one... Mountan biking, boobs, beer and tacos. An investers dream! haha

  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    Why does it seem the best business ideas never happen.
    Just combine all the best things into one... Mountan biking, boobs, beer and tacos. An investers dream! haha

    Because it actually means getting off your ass to start a business. Most people won't take a financial risk without a guarenteed payoff so what investor is really going to listen to you? I'm not saying it can't be done, but good luck getting an outside investor and sponsors in this economy.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,382
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    This would be a no brainer to set up...maybe be a non profit and work with at risk and underprivlidged kids.

    A good enough legal team can keep you safe.

    Look what a good legal team did for OJ....................Now most of the "team" has died off.

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Look what a good legal team did for OJ....................Now most of the "team" has died off.

    We are not talking about non-profit law not murder.

    Nothing wrong with knowing or paying somebody to fiqure out how to manipulate the law, some use it for murder...some might do the right thing.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: midget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    391
    Ray is expanding his park to Wisconsin, Milwaukee to be exact. HE is quoted as saying he would like to expand into two cities every year. Seems his model is finally paying off, although he also stated it took four years to turn a profit.

    I think it could work in Phoenix, given an investor willing to do it right and stay the course. It would take a crap ton of loot. But the population density in the area could easily support it.
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

  34. #34
    rip the line
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    299
    $20 a day and maybe an annual pass for the local folks who'd hit it a lot more. I'd love to see it happen, but like Kubo, I think too many people would get their panties in a wad.
    "I tried to live always free and above board like you" Cool Hand Luke

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    I'm thinking the 202/McKlintock underpass.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhFMf...layer_embedded
    Nah...Where ClubRio used to be on Rural. You could rent mtb's for the indoor park, cruisers for tempe town lake paths, have a ride up taco stand/bait shop, and you'd have a good view of the lake.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MattyBoyR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,062
    They tore that old building down, but that would have been good. I am trying to engineer a taco holder for my bikes.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    I'm thinking the 202/McKlintock underpass.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhFM...layer_embedded
    This seems like a more viable option than a building that has to be cooled with cubic dollars.

    Sure it would not be "air conditioner" cool, but at least it would be shady, and no cost for cooling the place. AC in a huge building would cost a butt load!! Find the right place, and it may be able to be built by the users, and just ridden without fees. Permission, and liability would be the biggest obstacles.

    Check out this link for a bunch of info and pictures.

    https://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index....:I-5_Colonnade
    Last edited by twowheelsdown2002; 05-29-2010 at 10:17 PM.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Climbing gyms seem to do OK with plenty of rocks outside....

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MattyBoyR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,062
    Looking at putting something under the freeway would be mainly a permission issue. ADOT already has huge amounts of liability ins adding on something for a skills park wouldn't make a dent in the bedget. City's also have large ins policies or are self insured. A bike park adds no more iability than a skate park which many cities have.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

  40. #40
    Chunky Monkey
    Reputation: circusubet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    413

    Ac

    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    We sure do. I love these noobs who think that once we hit triple digits that all us Phoenicians hid in our ACed houses.
    Oh come on, when did you turn on your ac?

    Thx
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

  41. #41
    Chunky Monkey
    Reputation: circusubet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    413

    Circles

    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I assume you don't drink green tea either.
    Tea?Drink?

    Thx
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.