Arizona is Amazing, indeed...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Arizona is Amazing, indeed...

Holy crap my legs are toast and my hands hurt!

Rolled out with Walt's Quad By-Pass ride on Saturday and, um, you know had an amazing, stellar, face-hurting-because-I-was-grinning-so-much kind of day. Great trails, great people, camaraderie I never see anywhere else in the country, and good friends - old and new - abound.

The social aspect - even in our 'fast/lead' group kept everything fun and enjoyable. Super-studs and studettes seem to be everywhere!

Sunday was a very different, but equally humbling experience. Chad and Scott - the co-masterminds behind the Antelope Peak ride/race, part of the AZES - brewed up the most remote and fantastic ride I have ever done in Arizona. The AZT needs more riders to go find it, ride it, and love it. It cannot possible ever get too much use, i think - and is one of the most mind blowing gems in the western USA.

The common thread between the two was that in both rides, everyone - while being individuals no doubt - had the same helpful, fun, smart approach to any and all things mountain biking. Compared to the pre-dawn snot-beard cross-eyed training that comprises most of my 'ride time' - this was a weekend to remember for a long, long time. The views, the trails, the whole weekend were great, and I owe you all a huge thanks!
    Last edited by glenzx; 01-26-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

I am Walt
    Great to meet you, Glen!! And thanks so much for coming over for the Quad. I'm glad you enjoyed the trails, the group and the vibe...and THAT is the whole point!!

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

wrecking crew
    Nice to meet you Glen. Come back and play...there's more!
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Great to meet you, Glen!! And thanks so much for coming over for the Quad. I'm glad you enjoyed the trails, the group and the vibe...and THAT is the whole point!!

Walt
    Good times Walt - and nice to finally meet you for real.

Glad I wasn't the one getting tossed in the bar/club mens room the night before the Quad!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    You as well Su-ling! It is great to meet up with some of the characters from our online 'hood. I'm blown away by how strong you AZ ladies are! And self assured and cool. And other stuff too, of course .

Bet on me coming back - especially with an invite like that!

glen

Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Nice to meet you Glen. Come back and play...there's more!

mtbr member
    Sounds like you had a blast. Too bad I could not join for at least a little part of it. But my family visit just complicated things.

Any time you want to come back to AZ, I have two spare beds. so concider this an open invite.
    b

Kathleen in AZ
    It was great to see you again Glen! Your double dose weekend blows me away - you are a stud for sure. I woke up with a start on Sunday at 5:30 AM thinking that you had overslept your alarm. I hurried down to the guest room to find that you had snuck out without even raising a bark from the dogs. While I was rubbing my weary eyes and puttering around in the backyard pushing dirt and rocks, I kept thinking of you hammering the AZ trail. Glad you had such a great trip!

wrecking crew
    Oh yeah...like Kathleen said..."you are a stud for sure"! Those are two hefty rides back to back. I can't believe you snuck out without the pooches sounding the alarm...amazing! Take up Brian's spare room offer cuz we hope to ride with you again soon.
    ~~~

Sup?
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    ... this was a weekend to remember for a long, long time. The views, the trails, the whole weekend were great, and I owe you all a huge thanks!
    Great meeting you Glenn! Glad you had a good time

-tim

mtbr member
    Sorry to not have gotten to hang out w/ you Brian - but next time for sure. I'll bring a bigger bike and some armor and you all can show me the chunky side of AZ!

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Sounds like you had a blast. Too bad I could not join for at least a little part of it. But my family visit just complicated things.

Any time you want to come back to AZ, I have two spare beds. so concider this an open invite.

mtbr member
    Kathleen, my dear. Thank you again for being a shining beacon to wayward mtbike souls out west. It was lovely to catch up a little bit, ride, and of course eat & drink together again! Somehow I woke up in some sort of Ninja Stealth mode and somehow never tripped, stubbed a toe, or otherwise alerted the faithful protective pups! It was probably too early for them too .

After the APC ride, I was nuked - and late. I blazed into Tempe in the nick of time, got IKEA items loaded and shot out of town like a bullet. The drive was great - IKEA to driveway in 6h15m. Not bad.

Thanks for the good times and being the bestest host ever (again).

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    It was great to see you again Glen! Your double dose weekend blows me away - you are a stud for sure. I woke up with a start on Sunday at 5:30 AM thinking that you had overslept your alarm. I hurried down to the guest room to find that you had snuck out without even raising a bark from the dogs. While I was rubbing my weary eyes and puttering around in the backyard pushing dirt and rocks, I kept thinking of you hammering the AZ trail. Glad you had such a great trip!

mtbr member
    Oh the peer pressure! All these fantastic folks 'making' me plan to come back soon? How can a fellow possibly resist? As for Joop and Booj - I used my Jedi doggie mind control....

...wish I could harness it for other endeavors! (no comments, of course)

haha.

Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Oh yeah...like Kathleen said..."you are a stud for sure"! Those are two hefty rides back to back. I can't believe you snuck out without the pooches sounding the alarm...amazing! Take up Brian's spare room offer cuz we hope to ride with you again soon.

aka Diesel
    Holy crap my legs are toast and my hands hurt!

Rolled out with Walt's Quad By-Pass ride on Saturday and, um, you know had an amazing, stellar, face-hurting-because-I-was-grinning-so-much kind of day. Great trails, great people, camaraderie I never see anywhere else in the country, and good friends - old and new - abound.

The social aspect - even in our 'fast/lead' group kept everything fun and enjoyable. Super-studs and studettes seem to be everywhere!

Sunday was a very different, but equally humbling experience. Chad and Scott - the co-masterminds behind the Antelope Peak ride/race, part of the AZES - brewed up the most remote and fantastic ride I have ever done in Arizona. The AZT needs more riders to go find it, ride it, and love it. It cannot possible ever get too much use, i think - and is one of the most mind blowing gems in the western USA.

The common thread between the two was that in both rides, everyone - while being individuals no doubt - had the same helpful, fun, smart approach to any and all things mountain biking. Compared to the pre-dawn snot-beard cross-eyed training that comprises most of my 'ride time' - this was a weekend to remember for a long, long time. The views, the trails, the whole weekend were great, and I owe you all a huge thanks!
    Awesome to meet you Glen! You are super human, doing back-to-back rides like you did. Plus after the quad, you looked like you had just enjoyed a nice long nap, while the rest of sat there slack-jawed. Do come back and ride!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Too many Sedonuts...
    Kathleen, my dear. Thank you again for being a shining beacon to wayward mtbike souls out west. It was lovely to catch up a little bit, ride, and of course eat & drink together again! Somehow I woke up in some sort of Ninja Stealth mode and somehow never tripped, stubbed a toe, or otherwise alerted the faithful protective pups! It was probably too early for them too .

After the APC ride, I was nuked - and late. I blazed into Tempe in the nick of time, got IKEA items loaded and shot out of town like a bullet. The drive was great - IKEA to driveway in 6h15m. Not bad.

Thanks for the good times and being the bestest host ever (again).
    Glad you enjoyed your trip man. Until next time brotha...you know where to hang.

-JB
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Just 6:15?! That's flying! You obviously didn't stop at the Denny's in Holbrook, nor stock up on fireworks. Hardly time to finish a six-pack before you're home. What route did you take?
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    Just 6:15?! That's flying! You obviously didn't stop at the Denny's in Holbrook, nor stock up on fireworks. Hardly time to finish a six-pack before you're home. What route did you take?
    - Joe

You are funny Joe! From Tempe I went through Payson/Heber/Holbrook - and made stellar time by pushing the speeds a little bit, but not bad. No stops except for gas/toilet in Heber, I think - then a quick gas tank top off in ABQ.

Lets see; rte. 87 / Beeline Hwy. / 260 / 277 / 377 to Holbrook. Then, once on I-40 I just put the cruise control on 85mph and presto! Home again home again jiggedy jig (my dad used to say that...).

I was tempted to crack a beer in ABQ - but was too tired to reach back and pull one out of the cooler. I forgot about the Fireworks though!

Doh.

mtbr member
    that is almost as impressive as your MTB weeked. My record was 6:30 door to door. ABQ heights to 27th st and Indian School. Same Holbrook short cut.

I've had a lot of people swear by the I-17 Flag route, but I'm conviced and your new land speed record confirms it. Payson is the way to go.
    b

Just another half mile...
    It may be the way to go for the east valley peps and from Tukee where you live, but it all depends on where you live in the valley and the weekend travel patterns. For north and west valley peps, the I-17 route is faster. For me, the I-17 route is about 50 miles longer than the Payson route from my home near Dreamy Draw. I usually take I-17 if leaving on Friday afternoons because to get to SR 87 from Dreamy Draw I have to fight 18 miles of cross town traffic on Shea and then fight the slow trucks on the two-lane section between Payson and Holbrook. I've done it both ways several times over the years and even though the Flag route is longer, it almost always takes me the same amount of time no mater which way I go. I bet the traffic was lite going north on Sunday night and there was little truck traffic making for the record time. If he hit that route on a summer Friday afternoon, I bet it would have taking him a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    that is almost as impressive as your MTB weeked. My record was 6:30 door to door. ABQ heights to 27th st and Indian School. Same Holbrook short cut.

I've had a lot of people swear by the I-17 Flag route, but I'm conviced and your new land speed record confirms it. Payson is the way to go.

Members who have read this thread: 0