Apc- Mtbr.com

Thread: Apc

Tucson, AZ

Apc

We finished the APC today on some great singletrack on the 24 HOP. Results are up. Great job to all those that lined up.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 01-27-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Sweet dude. After the quad yesterday all I could muster was a 12 mile spin out at McDowell. How'd glenzx do? He did the quad yesterday and was up at 5 this morning to hit the APC today. The dude has MY respect...
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Sweet dude. After the quad yesterday all I could muster was a 12 mile spin out at McDowell. How'd glenzx do? He did the quad yesterday and was up at 5 this morning to hit the APC today. The dude has MY respect...
    Hey Joe!

Did OK considering the tenderizing ride and multiple beers on Saturday - and I was up at 4:17am. I was actually driving by 5am... I just woke up and was ready to go. Weird. All that uninterrupted sleep I guess! APC was incredible. Chad and Scott and some other young bucks showed me some of the most amazing, epic, remote trail I have ever ridden. Wayfinding and common sense are critical - but the payoff was immeasurable.

Great to meet you in person - and Chad! Thanks again. I owe you pizza and beer when you come back north...
    Last edited by glenzx; 01-26-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Just another half mile...
    Painter Boy and Binky are sweet trails. B Barr showed us around over T-day weekend in 07. Looks like they added more trail to what I rode. It was really a route more or less when we rode it in some places. Looks like I will have to get back down there!

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    We finished the APC today on some great singletrack north of the 24 HOP area called Painter Boy. If you are in the area ever, the 15 mile loop has 2225 feet of climbing has some stunning views and is a must-do.

Add it to your list of Rides That I Should Do While I am in Tucson.

If you want more info, email me for a map/GPX file/directions. Thank you to June for the beta on this loop.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Great to meet you in person - and Chad! Thanks again. I owe you pizza and beer when you come back north...
    Great job not only doing both rides but having the endurance to drive all the way back to SF. Great job!

Old Fart at Play
    We finished the APC today on some great singletrack north of the 24 HOP area called Painter Boy. If you are in the area ever, the 15 mile loop has 2225 feet of climbing has some stunning views and is a must-do.
    Add it to your list of Rides That I Should Do While I am in Tucson.
    If you want more info, email me for a map/GPX file/directions. Thank you to June for the beta on this loop.
    This route looks to be the Suffering Gulch Loop pioneered several years ago by Stan Peterson, with some help from the local bovines and Stan's friend Don. SAMBA has been breaking it in for a few years. June rode with us on some of it last October. I'm glad she could put you on to it. It sure beats a graded road! Unfortunately, it looks like Stan won't be riding with us for a while, due to health reasons.
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

Tucson, AZ
    It is a great trail, SAMBA and Stan did a great job pioneering it.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 01-27-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Maximus
    This route looks to be the Suffering Gulch Loop pioneered several years ago by Stan Peterson, with some help from the local bovines and Stan's friend Don. SAMBA has been breaking it in for a few years. June rode with us on some of it last October. I'm glad she could put you on to it. It sure beats a graded road! Unfortunately, it looks like Stan won't be riding with us for a while, due to health reasons.
    Bummer about Stan. So what is the proper name for the trail we followed from the bottom of the Blinky road to roughly the High Point on 24OP. I want to make sure we are calling it the right thing. I also rode the trail that pops out further west on the course (which I think is Boneyard?).

Thanks for the trail. For the 'route' that it is, I thought it was actually quite easy to follow and definitely fun to ride.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Scott - and others with the nifty frame / TT mounted packs; where do you all recommend looking into good bike touring gear like that? I'll go ping Mike C's site too, but thought I'd ask here, as I was impressed with the one you had Scott... or am I trippin'? I swear it was not the 'FeedBag' dealie-o - but maybe I was in fact trippin'.... looked like it attached to the top of the top tube right behind the stem.
    Last edited by glenzx; 01-27-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Tucson, AZ
    Mr Boatman from CDC is where I got my gear, be prepared to wait for a few months though. Well worth the wait time though. I love my gear.

I heard Epic Designs is sometimes faster, just as good of a product too. I think Scott has a frame bag from ED.

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Bummer about Stan. So what is the proper name for the trail we followed from the bottom of the Blinky road to roughly the High Point on 24OP. I want to make sure we are calling it the right thing. I also rode the trail that pops out further west on the course (which I think is Boneyard?).

Thanks for the trail. For the 'route' that it is, I thought it was actually quite easy to follow and definitely fun to ride.
    What have long been routes are becoming trails in many parts, due to increased use. I'm not sure Stan ever assigned a name, as such to the trails, rather he named different ride variations. Such as: "Suffering Gulch", which is the lower sections of "Painter Boy" and "Blinky" (from the map above) circling around the ridge east of Suffering Gulch combined with parts of the 24 Hr. course (which I might add, Stan was leading rides on long before it became a race course); "Black and Tan", which goes up Painter Boy, crosses over to Blinky, climbs up to the ridge and the large boulder outcropping above and north of Suffering Gulch and Brown Wash (one canyon to the west), then down the Brown Wash canyon, crossing back over to Suffering Gulch to the north of Fortified Peak: "Radio tower loop", which starts at the gate on the road to the tower, climbs to the tower, then mostly downhill back, or sometimes we shuttle from the "arch". Then there is the "ala mode" which climbs up to the quartz outcropping, high on the ridge. I'm sorry I can't provide you with any GPS track files. Stan or John Pollock might be able to help you out with that. stanpede70@msn.com pollock@arizona.edu Tell 'em I sent you. --Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Scott - and others with the nifty frame / TT mounted packs; where do you all recommend looking into good bike touring gear like that? I'll go ping Mike C's site too, but thought I'd ask here, as I was impressed with the one you had Scott... or am I trippin'? I swear it was not the 'FeedBag' dealie-o - but maybe I was in fact trippin'.... looked like it attached to the top of the top tube right behind the stem.
    Mine was a feedbag, but I saw someone (can't remember who) that had a top tube mounted bag. I think the feedbags hold more.

bikepacking.net is the place to go for touring gear / discussion.

I made an attempt to write up Paula's amazing ride, and included a bit from my perspective too:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2009...-apc-mine-too/
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Maximus
    What have long been routes are becoming trails in many parts, due to increased use. I'm not sure Stan ever assigned a name, as such to the trails, rather he named different ride variations.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I need to get out and ride the upper trail from the Blinky. Could be a good addition for next year's APC (as if this one wasn't hard enough).

I still need to get out and meet / ride with some of the SAMBA folk sometime soon.

swashbucklerette
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Mine was a feedbag, but I saw someone (can't remember who) that had a top tube mounted bag. I think the feedbags hold more.

bikepacking.net is the place to go for touring gear / discussion.

I made an attempt to write up Paula's amazing ride, and included a bit from my perspective too:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2009...-apc-mine-too/
    I just ordered a mountain feed bag. Saw your review on them and decided to pull the trigger and get one.

Congrats to Paula on a fantastic ride! Great report!

Man, I look cold in that pic. Legs are red!

swashbucklerette
    Thanks for the honorable mention. I wish we could've made it but the legs had other plans. Next time I shall taper for such events and not do a crazy trail run the day before.

Now time to start planning for the next AES event!

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    Congrats to Paula on a fantastic ride! Great report!

Man, I look cold in that pic. Legs are red!
    Yep. I keep my weak little knees covered when it's below 70 (some say below 90), that pic does look cold to me, too.

Good job riding the bulk of the course. How did the gasline / bloodsucker bailout go for you?

Scott in Tucson
    We finished the APC today on some great singletrack on the 24 HOP. Results are up. Great job to all those that lined up.
    Here's a report and pics from Tom Purvis, who was the only rider to earn the 60 minute bonus for the 24 hour course:

http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com/2...challenge.html

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    Now time to start planning for the next AES event!
    So many more during the next few months it is hard to choose which ones.

bicycleonthebrain

some pics

Got some pics on my blog of this amazing ride. I can't wait to do it again next year. thanks again for the route and q-sheets scott and Chad

Members who have read this thread: 0