Ridin Mexican Borderlines

Anything at all decent in the SanTans?

I'm relatively new here and am looking for some help. I live in the SouthEast valley (Chandler Hts/Higley) and there's nothing to ride out here within reasonable riding distance. I've heard talk for years about trail development out at SanTan Regional Park but haven't ever talked to anyone there who has found anything worth riding. Is there anyone that has ridden anything remotely decent?

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by scoottay View Post
    I'm relatively new here and am looking for some help. I live in the SouthEast valley (Chandler Hts/Higley) and there's nothing to ride out here within reasonable riding distance. I've heard talk for years about trail development out at SanTan Regional Park but haven't ever talked to anyone there who has found anything worth riding. Is there anyone that has ridden anything remotely decent?
    Check this out

San Tan Mountain Park

I used to live in that same area and San Tan isnt necessarily all that close to you. A little farther drive and you can get to Hawes. Check out the Hawes review on that same sight and you make the call if its worth it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Scoottay, we must be neighbors because I also live around CH/Higley! I'm in Marbella Vineyards.

I used to ride the Santans quite a bit and they are fairly decent for being your 'home base' trails. I've ridden most of the trails there and you can get a decent workout. You won't find anything super techy and some of the trails fall into washes so be prepared to pedal in some sand in some parts.

Another area that is just a bit farther than the Santans but is much better is Hawes! I ride there regularly and know the trails very well.

These are the two areas I always hit up regularly. Let me know if you want to tag along for a ride one of these weekends now that I know we're neighbors!

How much further ???
    I used to live on Aris Dr.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

I'm actually on what I call the "white trash" side of Seville which is the side to the north of Chandler Heights, so our subdivision abutts Marbella Vineyards.

I'm not looking for super tech anyway, but I'm looking for something that doesn't end in a sand pit or a dead end which has been the case any time I've gone out there looking for trails. I've heard rumors for years that there was going to be a trail system set up to be comparable to the loops at McDowell. My assumption is that the tax dollars dedicated to the development must have dried up.

Thanks for the link on more information. I get up to Hawes once in a blue moon. Most of my riding is done at South Mountain since my office is at 48th and Baseline. I'll try to look you up if I'm going out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just biked there last week. Video and trail route here:
    Trip Report San Tan Mountain Regional Park, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I just biked there last week. Video and trail route here:
    Sweet video. Guess I'll have to try to do some research off of what you guys have furnished and have at it again. Hopefully, I can do a better job of avoiding the sand pits.

mtbr member
    I'm actually on what I call the "white trash" side of Seville which is the side to the north of Chandler Heights, so our subdivision abutts Marbella Vineyards.

I'm not looking for super tech anyway, but I'm looking for something that doesn't end in a sand pit or a dead end which has been the case any time I've gone out there looking for trails. I've heard rumors for years that there was going to be a trail system set up to be comparable to the loops at McDowell. My assumption is that the tax dollars dedicated to the development must have dried up.

Thanks for the link on more information. I get up to Hawes once in a blue moon. Most of my riding is done at South Mountain since my office is at 48th and Baseline. I'll try to look you up if I'm going out.
    Yeah, you need to know your way around Santan to avoid most of the sand traps.
    Here is the official Maricopa Park website and it has a map on there as well: Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

I'll shoot you a message if I head out anytime soon as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    me and my son are very new too mountain biking we just picked up some specialized bikes. thinking about a sunday ride into the san tan park for our first ride out. were new to all this, I need a hobby and exercise

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by azcolorado View Post
    me and my son are very new too mountain biking we just picked up some specialized bikes. thinking about a sunday ride into the san tan park for our first ride out. were new to all this, I need a hobby and exercise
    Great place for a couple noobs to the sport. Like others have said there is nothing technical out there. Some buff single/double track that you can get a pretty good flow going on and get the heart rate up a little bit. Pretty cool scenery out there too. Welcome to the sickness

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I'll shoot you a message if I head out anytime soon as well.
    Awesome. Always looking for new peeps to ride with.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Most of my riding is done at South Mountain since my office is at 48th and Baseline. I'll try to look you up if I'm going out.
    I too work at 48th & Baseline! I'm usually hitting up SoMo weekdays from 3-4:30p, just enough time between jobs for me. I'm heading out today for a spin. If that time works for you, let me know sometime.

As for the OP, I also live out that way & on occasion will go for a ride there. I too would prefer Hawes or Gold Canyon over SanTan, but the inner trails at SanTan can be fast & fun.

Here's my normal route I take: SanTans 10-23-10 by motdevil@yahoo.com at Garmin Connect - Details

By trails: Moonlight-Stargazer-right on Santan-Hedgehog-right on Santan-Littleleaf-Moonlight-go past Stargazer this time, then left on Santan-Hedgehog-left on Santan-Stargazer to finish. Not too much sand on this route, the fringe trails are sketchy at best.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I too work at 48th & Baseline! I'm usually hitting up SoMo weekdays from 3-4:30p, just enough time between jobs for me. I'm heading out today for a spin. If that time works for you, let me know sometime.

As for the OP, I also live out that way & on occasion will go for a ride there. I too would prefer Hawes or Gold Canyon over SanTan, but the inner trails at SanTan can be fast & fun.

Here's my normal route I take

By trails: Moonlight-Stargazer-right on Santan-Hedgehog-right on Santan-Littleleaf-Moonlight-go past Stargazer this time, then left on Santan-Hedgehog-left on Santan-Stargazer to finish. Not too much sand on this route, the fringe trails are sketchy at best.
    Do you ever ride later in the afternoon? I don't typically get out of work until after 4:30.

BTW, thanks for the mapping.

mtbr member
    Hey freeskier, long time no see! We should hit up Hawes or Santan one of these days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Looks like I live near you as well. San Tan is still pretty much the same with nothing new like the loops at McDowell. The trails are really short. I usually do little leaf -> goldmine -> Santan loop until I hit the sand (about 5 miles in) and then backtrack to hedge hog. It's only 8 miles and takes roughly 40-45 minutes. I do this a couple of times to get 16 miles in. I think it is fun and would recommend it.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I also work baseline x 48st.... I am all the time climbing javelina to Mormon in a red enduro. We should set up a ride someday.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Do you ever ride later in the afternoon? I don't typically get out of work until after 4:30.

BTW, thanks for the mapping.
    There are some occasions when I could get out later, but I'm pretty boxed into that 3 - 4:30p window right now. I get off my day job @ 2:45 & start my PT gig @ 5:30. I'll let you know when I take an evening or two off from work. I usually then do a long ride on the weekend just about anywhere.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Hey freeskier, long time no see! We should hit up Hawes or Santan one of these days.
    Yeah, no kidding!! Seems like forever ago that we were chowing down on some pie in Strawberry!! I'm usually free on weekends, but I realize you're a bit limited these days!! I've been riding all over the place lately & can't recall the last time I was at either Hawes or SanTan for that matter.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Yeah, no kidding!! Seems like forever ago that we were chowing down on some pie in Strawberry!! I'm usually free on weekends, but I realize you're a bit limited these days!! I've been riding all over the place lately & can't recall the last time I was at either Hawes or SanTan for that matter.
    Yeah I've noticed! You guys were hitting up the K-trail big time while I was in Portland last winter and now I see the pics from Picketpost and I'm getting jealous.

I'll be doing BCT with a few friends of mine on Sat. the 10th so if you want to tag along, let me know. It will be a casual ride (no hammerfest) probably from RS to top of LPL (might throw in LPL if people are up for it). If you do tag along, we can keep our pie tradition up at Rock Springs Cafe.

I will probably do a quick spin out at Hawes or Santan this Sunday morning so let me know if you want to tag along too. And that goes for anyone else here!

im4Gsus
    FireLike's route is the one i always take out there. the section past that south wash has too much sand. the only difference is that once i come down hedgehog and go north on santan, we climb stargazer.

if you avoid that section of santan trail and malpais altogether, you'll have fun!

also, if you're a casual rider, come join my c-ride at papago park this saturday.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yeah I've noticed! You guys were hitting up the K-trail big time while I was in Portland last winter and now I see the pics from Picketpost and I'm getting jealous.

I'll be doing BCT with a few friends of mine on Sat. the 10th so if you want to tag along, let me know. It will be a casual ride (no hammerfest) probably from RS to top of LPL (might throw in LPL if people are up for it). If you do tag along, we can keep our pie tradition up at Rock Springs Cafe.

I will probably do a quick spin out at Hawes or Santan this Sunday morning so let me know if you want to tag along too. And that goes for anyone else here!
    Ahh man, I'd love to do BCT, but I have a date with the AES McDowell 60 on the 10th! I'll be heading out to the Cards/Cowboys game on Sunday, so I can't make Hawes either, bummer. I'll keep posting up rides, I'm sure you'll get on one eventually!! Have fun out there on Skyline.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    just did san tan trails today with my son, pretty easy trails alot of cardio for me thou. The trails were all well marked, for me was a good day me and my son really new to this but had a blast.

I decided to ride out from my house yesterday since I cleared an afternoon away from the wife and kid rather than try to drive to the trailhead. I rode/hikeabiked over Goldmine and then linked a series of trails together once I got back down inside of the park. The trails are decent once in there, but Goldmine wasn't the most enjoyable. There's got to be a better way than Goldmine or the road as a way into the park proper.
    Riding Dusty Mexican Borderlines

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    That place is really popular w/ the equestrians which really tear up the trails. Nothing against them, especially if they all stay out there I doubt it will ever be decent. Go over to Hawes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by chiva View Post
    That place is really popular w/ the equestrians which really tear up the trails. Nothing against them, especially if they all stay out there I doubt it will ever be decent. Go over to Hawes instead.
    I get the Hawes love. I ride out there periodically. I guess the reason why I am trying to figure out the whole SanTan thing is that I think there's something to be said for starting a ride out your front door.
    Riding Dusty Mexican Borderlines