anyone withe a spare bike? be a PAID ride guide next sunday 4/11?- Mtbr.com
    SamuraiBunnyGuy

anyone withe a spare bike? be a PAID ride guide next sunday 4/11?

this is probably a long shot, but...

first off, i am well aware that there are plenty of places to rent bikes, but i will only have 2-3 hours in the EARLY morning (like crack of dawn or a little before) on sunday april 11th if i am going to be able to do this. I will be at the ramada on baseline across from AZ mills mall on sat & sunday nite. It's just a 3-day getaway with my fiance (why i cant just up and ditch in the middle of the day to go riding).

If anyone has a 2nd bike 18"-20" frame, and can take me on a 2 hour guided ride on either hawes or somo (NOT the chunky route), it will be worth $100. Being used to midwest forested dirt XC trails with elevation only ranging from 650'-700'msl , i'm not going to attempt my first desert mountain ride on my own. I would prefer hawes, as i will not have any armor or helmet. and platform pedals (i ride candys up here, but crashing into our plants doesn't hurt). I'm not too crazy about drops and jumps, so even a single speed would be cool. I usually stand up and hammer in my big chainring on most of my rides anyways...

still waiting for the IL singletrack to dry out. i've started doing a few pavement each week to get my legs cranked up for summer, but havnt been on trails in 5 months...

-mike

mtbr member
    Mike,
    You're a 5 min drive to Cactus Bikes 480-940-7433. Talk to Davin or SteveO. Pretty sure they can work something out with you like a Sat night pick up. You can ride to the trail head from there (another 5 mins).
    My suggestion would be an out and back on Desert Classic. This is an XC trail. Fast, flowy and fun!
    Just an idea. Enjoy your stay!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i'm man enough admit that im scared to be out there alone. i have zero experience on this type of terrain or with the critters that inhabit it (supposedly they're out in full force in early morning). if i encountered a snake riding on my own, it would take more than a little blue baggie for cleanup...

mtbr member
    Haha! Hawes would fit this scenario but not South Mt. Impossible to be alone on South on a Sunday morning. It will also be too cold in the AM for any snakes to be interested in doing anything.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Also, Desert CLassic is a little more do-able with no helmet. Don't really recommend any of the non-bike path trails here be ridden without a helmet, but DC isn't too bad. Hawes has some black diamond spots and some narrow ridges. There is no way you catch me at Hawes without a helmet. DC is very busy on the weekends and it's open enough that you can see whats coming up the trail well in advance. If you have the least bit of mtb experience you can easily handle DC. Like tmakos said it's fast (if you want it to be) and really fun with some short climbs. And if you want a riding buddy, just ask anyone in the parking lot. 99% of the people riding here are really cool.

mtbr member
    Rent a bike and helmet and I will show you around Hawes on Sunday... Free of charge!

(but not sans-helmet... I'm not going to scoop your brains up with my new gloves, I just got them!)

banned
    Sep 2007
    Rent a helmet?

Kathleen in AZ
    I think the Phx MTBR community needs to group together and show this long haired Mike (do you really have long hair? Is your name really Mike?) a good time. He's been posting and hanging on the AZ boards or months now, anticipating his upcoming move. He tosses comments out on many subjects. Let's meet this dude!!

I have spare armor and plenty of spare helmets. I have spare bikes but all are size small. My 29ers would probably work if your are 5'9" or shorter... any taller and you might be all cramped up. But surely someone has a M or L full squish bike he could borrow. Let's take him up Mormon to National to BV and back. If Mike doesn't feel like riding a techy area, walking is A-ok. I'm slow, fat, and outa shape right now so no worries on the pace. We'll take it slow and show him the goods.

mtbr member
    I have a peach of a bike to padel that can be a loner - med 03 big hit.

Where are the black diamond sections on Hawes? Admitedly I haven't been all over hawes but so far nothing has been realy near black diamond.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Theres some tech sections that a few of the maps have marked with little black diamonds. Took me a few times but I can clean em. Just going by the map. Definately not a trail to free-skull (yeah I just made that up) though.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I think the Phx MTBR community needs to group together and show this long haired Mike (do you really have long hair? Is your name really Mike?) a good time. He's been posting and hanging on the AZ boards or months now, anticipating his upcoming move. He tosses comments out on many subjects. Let's meet this dude!!

I have spare armor and plenty of spare helmets. I have spare bikes but all are size small. My 29ers would probably work if your are 5'9" or shorter... any taller and you might be all cramped up. But surely someone has a M or L full squish bike he could borrow. Let's take him up Mormon to National to BV and back. If Mike doesn't feel like riding a techy area, walking is A-ok. I'm slow, fat, and outa shape right now so no worries on the pace. We'll take it slow and show him the goods.
    I have a size medium Mach5 you can borrow that weekend....it's also my 5th anniversary weekend....so there is no way I'm getting a pass to go ride anyways. I can arrange to have it either at DurtGurl's place should you decide to ride SoMo...or somewhere next to my house since I live right next to Hawes. Just need someone here to broker the transaction for Longhair that knows me....Durt....if you want to org a ride...I have armor, helmet....everything.

pedaller
    Dayum Maad! That's a smoking offer! Can I get in on that deal? Happy Anniversary too!

I might be interested if this turns into a group ride of some sort!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

My other ride is your mom
    I'm trying to bank the karma up....or, you can take the Mach5 and give him your new HT.....you do know how to ride a dual squishy........don't you?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    I think somo will be better since its closer to the hotel, so that will mean more riding time and no commuting time.. i just need to do this EARLY on sunday so shana wont feel like im ditching her on our vacation (ideally finishing up around 8am).
    im 5'11 but ive been riding an 18" trek y-frame for the past 15 years (i'm old school everything, still using v-brakes and spinergys).. i'm not looking to hit jumps and i only weigh 165 so no worries about your suspension. A hardtail is cool too,,
    I have a helmet (never used) i might be able to fit in my backpack. I just want to avoid checking any luggage on the flight.
    i hope you guys arent squeamish about a 50 degree morning temp... this time of year our average HIGH is only 53, although we lucked out and stole your 83 this past thursday :P

we're leaning more towards gilbert for a house purchase.. nice an centralized, not having to drive everywhere, but still close enuff to BFE when you DO feel like getting out to in the middle of nowhere...
    http://www.newhomesource.com/communi...ions/market-18 is this in a decent neighborhood? moving is easy,, but moving when you have an online home business and buttloads of inventory makes it 10x more pain... not to mention shutting down your store completely for at least a week
    Last edited by longhairmike; 04-03-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Kathleen in AZ
    An 8AM finishing time is likely a deal breaker for me. I figure you need to schedule 3 hours for a taste of SoMo. I would rather not start till 7 at the earliest (8 or 9 is better!) Therefore, you might be done by 10. Perhaps the girlfriend needs some spa time in the AM? Or what if she sleeps in and meets us for some kick-ass breakfast burritos at 10? Seems like sampling the single track is really important to you - I hope she understands that! If not, well....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    she can't drive (no shes not underage, she just had extenuating circumstances in high school).. my little brother is also coming along (we want to eventually hire him as the IT tech person for our business,, he's currently a best buy geek squad tech and one of those MMORPG addicts)

IF i can convince them both to ride too,, then we could schedule a middle of the day ride no problem, but they have NO mtb experience whatsoever. Shana hasn't been on her bike since she had a bad trail wipeout 4 years ago... if i'm a bit nervous about AZ terrain, i can only imagine how she'd feel.

mtbr member
    Nice thing about Somo is if your fiance and brother are into hiking or trail running- there is lots of options there for them too.

Just hook the helmet straps to your carry on. Do it all the time!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    we did a little hiking on somo last trip out,, that was my first time ever seeing a mountain in real life. and that was the last time i'll ever wear street running shoes hiking on said mountain.
    I do have MTB shoes with crank bros cleats in them.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    we did a little hiking on somo last trip out,, that was my first time ever seeing a mountain in real life. and that was the last time i'll ever wear street running shoes hiking on said mountain.
    I do have MTB shoes with crank bros cleats in them.
    Bring your pedals too and you'll be good to go. And that's great idea to have your gal and brother hike while you ride! Then everyone gets to enjoy the flower show we have going on here out in the desert.

mtbr member
    If you are sticking to SoMo my recommendations for a first timer out here are Desert Classic or Javelina. Maybe even warm up on East/West loop then hit either of the aforementioned trails. Those trails may seem tame to us because we've ridden them backwards and forwards a thousand times but to someone who's never ridden them before it's going to be a blast.

longhairmike, PM me I have an extra bike but it's setup for someone who is 6'3". If you can get a bike I can show you DC, East/West or Javelina on Sunday morning (early) and get you finished up by 8 am (or damn near close to 8 am).

Going from the trails in Illinois to Arizona is going to be a bit of a shock (I grew up riding in Illinois before I moved out to the desert). I wouldn't toss him into deep end of Mormon/National on his first ride.

mtbr member
    Mike, I live right up the road from the neighborhood you are looking at. Gilbert is a great area to live. Far enough from the city, but not in the middle of nowhere and most everything around here is fairly new. San Tan Mtn. is really close too. It's one of the easier trails in Phoenix, but it's a pretty fun trail. This area is really close to the Loop 202 and if I go straight up Higley, I can be on the 60 in 15 min, so it's really easy to get around. I'd love to join you tomorrow but gotta do the Easter egg hunting with the daughter. I love riding, but my baby comes first.

mtbr member

good area

we live just n of that off higley too. Look in power ranch in that area too, just n and e of shamrock a mile or two. easy drive to SanTan park which is getting better and better for riding. good luck on the move!

EDR
    Mike, Hawes is sooooo much more beautiful than DC at SoMo, and the terrain so much more interesting. You gotta plan for some extra time and make the 20-25 minute drive (from SoMo area) over there if possible. I guess if you are moving here it can wait though...

Sunrise at Hawes? That is sweet! I live right by Hawes and would be glad to show you around when you get settled.

-Jamie

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I have a size medium Mach5 you can borrow that weekend....it's also my 5th anniversary weekend....so there is no way I'm getting a pass to go ride anyways. I can arrange to have it either at DurtGurl's place should you decide to ride SoMo...or somewhere next to my house since I live right next to Hawes. Just need someone here to broker the transaction for Longhair that knows me....Durt....if you want to org a ride...I have armor, helmet....everything.
    oh so now you are not bringing your bike to the beach?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    im going to go ahead and pack my helmet (circa 1998. never used), pedals, and shoes.
    I think we're going to check out both hawes and somo a on foot saturday (we arrive before 10am so we'll have tons of time,, just hafta go grocery shopping first). If shana and my brother see it first hand it may be a little easier to convince them to ride too..

3 straight days of soaking,, our trails are out of commission for at least 2 weeks
    Last edited by longhairmike; 04-05-2010 at 09:56 PM.

It rains here. :(
    As a fellow MidWesterner Mike, I used to live in AZ, and I agree with Cranky. For your first ride stick to Desert Classic at South Mountain. If that's not enough tech, venture over to Javelina and back around to the East/West loops.
    07 GF Rig

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    all efforts to try to talk shana into biking too have failed, so im going to have to shoot for an early morning ride.

i talked to cactus bikes, they said once i confirm a rental reservation, if i cancel within 24 hours of the ride i still get charged, BUT if i wait until saturday to make my decision, it may be already too late to get a bike. i would really like to go early sunday, so im going to PM cranky to see if he's still got his bike available. even if we're finishing up by 8, im sure we'll run into some of you starting around.

or, being the impulsive kid i am, i might even solo it at the last minute. when i bought my ultralight in '98, i only had 17 total hours flight time, but i spur-of-the-moment decided to solo it 4 hours all the way back to Chicago from southern Indiana...

parenting for gnarness
    or, being the impulsive kid i am, i might even solo it at the last minute.
    chances are you will be fine, but as you know by now, AZ is a different environment so be careful and let someone know your route.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i wouldnt even know my route.
    i'd probably end up following the first group i see out there,, and they'll probably drag my butt over the most technical trail...

EDR
    Mike, you'll be fine. You can't ride 100 feet anywhere on SoMo on a Saturday morning without running into people, so even if you have a mechanical issue or whatnot it's not like you'll be stranded. On the trails you'll be riding, help is never more than 5 minutes away.

Besides, there will be so many bikers there that morning you can easily find someone to tag along with. And since you are not married just yet, you might just decide to leave the bike in the car and do some jogging with the ASU babes

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    I wont have my bike (besides i ride 1.95s with tubes,, wouldnt last 5 mins from what i keep hearing)

i need to make the decision to rent a bike or borrow off someone here.. i'm worried i waited too long for either. cactus bikes told me it would be better if i just brought my own pedals and shoes though...

It rains here. :(
    I wont have my bike (besides i ride 1.95s with tubes,, wouldnt last 5 mins from what i keep hearing)

i need to make the decision to rent a bike or borrow off someone here.. i'm worried i waited too long for either. cactus bikes told me it would be better if i just brought my own pedals and shoes though...
    Just a rent a front suspension for 4 hrs from Cactus, go with platforms...doesn't matter if you run into stuff you can't ride, just don't ride it. Heck any day of riding...even if I get lost is better than nothing. Go cheap and if you hate your ride it only costs you 30 bucks.

edit: oh and you don't need fullsuspension or even gears for that matter if you ride desert classic...which is a short ways from cactus.
    07 GF Rig

Kathleen in AZ

Yea... your lack of enthusiasm for my offer to get a group XC ride going in your honor drove me back to my DH bike I'll likely be shuttling on Sunday so have fun doing whatever you end up doing

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    im sorry, i can only go REALLY early...
    maybe i'll buy a $50 walmart bike and then ghost ride it off a cliff when i'm done...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I sent you a email. I can get my brothers stumpjumper. Call me, I have to get it before he leaves tonight at 11pm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Mike,

I used to live like 5 minutes away from Swallow Cliff in Palos and rode it for 10 years before moving to AZ, so know what you are used to... just hit Desert Classic and E/W loops for your first time out. Don't let the locals take you out on anything that is not totally beginner-friendly. The elevation change on DC and E/W loops is less than some trails in Palos, and there is even less tech than some of the off-labeled trails at the back of the tobaggan slides at Swallow Cliff, but you are used to alot more traction on the black dirt out there. Learning how to turn/lean at speed in the desert without washing out needs to be your first priority before challenging yourself with elevation gain, drops, ledges etc.

Riding in the desert will hone a new set of skills. You are used to cornering in better traction situations and falling on dirt which doesn't remove skin, so take it easy and have fun.

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by V02 deficient
    Mike,

I used to live like 5 minutes away from Swallow Cliff in Palos and rode it for 10 years before moving to AZ, so know what you are used to... just hit Desert Classic and E/W loops for your first time out. Don't let the locals take you out on anything that is not totally beginner-friendly. The elevation change on DC and E/W loops is less than some trails in Palos, and there is even less tech than some of the off-labeled trails at the back of the tobaggan slides at Swallow Cliff, but you are used to alot more traction on the black dirt out there. Learning how to turn/lean at speed in the desert without washing out needs to be your first priority before challenging yourself with elevation gain, drops, ledges etc.

Riding in the desert will hone a new set of skills. You are used to cornering in better traction situations and falling on dirt which doesn't remove skin, so take it easy and have fun.
    As an ex palos compatriot, I concurr. DC and E/W Loops will give you a taste without sending you home in a body bag. Do your own thing and go your own pace.

What time are you riding ? My Sunday just freed up.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    im high on sunshine after 1 day here,, im meeting at 6am at the pima entrance.. this hotel wifi conection sucks monkeyballs

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ojunkie
    I sent you a email. I can get my brothers stumpjumper. Call me, I have to get it before he leaves tonight at 11pm.
    dude, im totally glad you dumped me right on national and mormon for my first ride.. i told shana how much easier it was for me to handle your bike than mine,, then SHE suggested i get a new bike,,, can argue with that logic

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It really isn't that hard if you are at least an average mountain biker. And it helps when the people that take you out there the first time let you know about everything before you are riding off it :P

Glad you liked the trail. We did Mormon to National, up National to the saddle before Buena Vista then back down National all the way to the fire road.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i finally saw a rattlesnake while hiking in the san tans!! i was afraid i was going to have to go home a 2nd time without seeing one.. i was flipping rocks over everywhere looking for criters but all i found were those damn lizards until...

i was about 20ft ahead of shana and my brother on the service rd returning to the car,, i heard the rattle and was looking at a bush on the side but didnt see anything,, after another 10 feet i looked forward again and he slithered out to cross,,, he stopped in the middle and shana yells out to me "snake!, and its got a rattle"

then it just stopped in the middle of the trail between us for a photo op... shana said "i hope its not going to take a nap here" but it eventually finished crossing the trail...

Team Tortuga
    Dude? Did you actually ride while you were out here? I don't see any real ride report from you.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    yes,, h2ojunkie let me use his brother's stumpjumper.. what kinda ride report do you want? "i nearly **** myself on this descent there,, i hike-a-biked up that rock garden there..."
    how bout if i just say somo was the techiest, rockiest stuff id ever ridden.

my living room is lined up with about $8000 worth of doll orders to catch up on. im going to be packing nonstop all day today and tomorrow...

shana looked up the snake online,, it was a western diamondback,, it had the black and white bands by the tail.. it was 4 feet long. there was another one we saw that wasnt a rattler,, it was beige, narrow, about 2' long, and in a real hurry to get the hell away from us...

Members who have read this thread: 0