suvlako

Anyone using Cushcore or similar? Worth the money?

Thinking about giving this a try. Anyone feel like it really helps? I want to mitigate the $ lost from pinching tires and cutting sidewalls/top of the tire.

mtbr member
    Best product I have installed since the dropper.

Pivotal figure
    Everyone I know who's running these type of inserts is happy with them but I still see the same negatives for all of them. Added rolling weight, cost, complexity and worst of all: you can still slice a tire if you get unlucky and catch a sharp edged rock. I can totally see using it for DH runs but for regular trail riding it's a bit much for me. I can only imaging needing to install a tube and carry that setup back after it's been installed (sloppy with sealant, bulky, and kinda hard to install/remove).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out Skills with Phil YouTube channel. He did a fairly thorough unbiased review of them a while back.

The .05 percent
    Using Huck Norris. No flats.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Everyone I know who's running these type of inserts is happy with them but I still see the same negatives for all of them. Added rolling weight, cost, complexity and worst of all: you can still slice a tire if you get unlucky and catch a sharp edged rock. I can totally see using it for DH runs but for regular trail riding it's a bit much for me. I can only imaging needing to install a tube and carry that setup back after it's been installed (sloppy with sealant, bulky, and kinda hard to install/remove).
    I run ProCore on one of my bikes and it is bad enough dealing with what is essentially a road bike tube and tire that is covered in sealant if you have a sidewall cut and have to put in a tube on the trail. I can't imagine what I would do with one of these foam inserts if I had to pull it off the wheel in the middle of a ride.

That said, I am really happy with the performance of the ProCore system. I suffered a puncture at the start of the last downhill stage at the SoMo BeerDuro and was able to finish the stage (got a PR to boot) and then ride a couple miles home without any damage to the rim.

dirt visionary
    I would rather run an old school 3ply michelin dh tire that was very easy to ride flat if you ever got one than deal with a crush core
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Rocks belong
    I just recently installed it on two of my rear wheels. I went with the hardtail (EXO tire + CC, down from 2ply tire + huck norris) and the DH/park rear wheel (2-ply tire + CC).

I'm keeping the trail bike rear wheel as 2-ply + Huck Norris for now. The thought of having to tube up a CushCore tire 20 miles from civilization keeps me from going CushCore on all of my bikes.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Pivotal figure
    I have a ProCore that I got for testing and it works great but yeah, definitely messy when you get a cut and have to carry it back. Mine also got clogged in the dual valve portion that inflates the actual tire which meant I had to pump it up super high just to get air past the clog (like 70 psi at the pump end) and then when I needed to lower the tire pressure back down (because I overshot it a bit) I couldn't do it. Luckily the clog cleared up after riding it for about 30 minutes but I was having nightmares of figuring out how to get that tire off...The stuff it lets you get away is nothing short of amazing tho. I also rode home on pavement with only 12 psi in my rear tire and it felt fine. My test runs consisted of using a basic Ardent (no EXO casing) and 28 psi (rear tire only) and just riding rocky sections like I was on a DH bike. Never flatted or pinged a rim but that tire was pretty much trash after about 1 week, threads showing all over
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    I run ProCore on one of my bikes and it is bad enough dealing with what is essentially a road bike tube and tire that is covered in sealant if you have a sidewall cut and have to put in a tube on the trail. I can't imagine what I would do with one of these foam inserts if I had to pull it off the wheel in the middle of a ride.

That said, I am really happy with the performance of the ProCore system. I suffered a puncture at the start of the last downhill stage at the SoMo BeerDuro and was able to finish the stage (got a PR to boot) and then ride a couple miles home without any damage to the rim.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

_____
    Jul 2007
    I put a set of Cushcores in for my rides at PMP Dreamy Draw about 3 months ago. I often pinch fla the rear (Maxxis Minion SS 3C exo 2.3) and occasionally the front (Maxxis Minion DHF 3c EXO 2.5). In my opinion Cushcores work well with the rocks at PMP. They are sharper than other areas, even south mountain. That metamorphic schist is like hardened tool steel and keeps its edge.

They have definitely saved me a few flats but as others said, it's a trade off. Besides added rolling weight i've found it negatively affects handling in the front. The Cushcores make the front tire too stiff and instead of conforming to the trail it slips instead. After a few front end wash outs I pulled the Cushcore out of the front and I am now much happier. I think it works very well in the back though and actually improves handling, unlike like the front.

In my opinion, Cushcores make sense depending on where you ride and how aggressive you are. I havent pinch flatted in 3 months which make them worth it for me.