Anyone riding in Rocky Point this weekend?- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Anyone riding in Rocky Point this weekend?

PM if so. i'll be spinning in circles around Las Conchas every day, company would be awesome.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Meatbomb
    A ride out to the Oyster Farm for a rack would be a nice little trip

I usually take my XR when I head south of the border. It does better in the sand .

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    A ride out to the Oyster Farm for a rack would be a nice little trip

I usually take my XR when I head south of the border. It does better in the sand .
    guessing XR is a moto? yeah i spose it would be better

i've tried mtb'ing from both the Las Conchas side and via the Caborca highway. 4 times out of 5 going through the estuary is a sandy muddy disaster, but when it works seeing the wildlife it great and diving down the dune on the mtb is like snowboarding. the road is ok if cars don't sketch you out, but I only ride it early - i've made it and seen the guys working, but never actually stopped for a bite.

wrecking crew
    mmmm...beach...ocean...vacations must be nice.
    ~~~

Meatbomb
    Don't forget the street tacos !!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'd go check out the Mexico forum, there might be some good riding spots on the
    way there, maybe you could hook up with locals who know where the good trails are.

Meatbomb
    I doubt you will find much riding around RP unless you install balloon tires ... it's all sand.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    I'd go check out the Mexico forum, there might be some good riding spots on the
    way there, maybe you could hook up with locals who know where the good trails are.
    thanks for the suggestion le_buzz! that never occurred to me - pretty weak for an "alleged" internet guy.

Usually I'm travelling with family and stuff in the car, so stopping for a ride is not feasible, but maybe in the future. I have had some fabulous spins on the Mobile road between Maricopa and Gila Bend, however, when we ran out of gas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    thanks for the suggestion le_buzz! that never occurred to me - pretty weak for an "alleged" internet guy.

Usually I'm travelling with family and stuff in the car, so stopping for a ride is not feasible, but maybe in the future. I have had some fabulous spins on the Mobile road between Maricopa and Gila Bend, however, when we ran out of gas.
    Yeah, that sounds pretty painful, running out of gas there and having to ride to the
    nearest gas station with a gas can in hand.

There's a lot of mtbers in Mexico, I imagine theres some great riding within an easy drive of the border if you know where to go. You definitely want local advice
    on that, though

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Yeah, that sounds pretty painful, running out of gas there and having to ride to the
    nearest gas station with a gas can in hand.

There's a lot of mtbers in Mexico, I imagine theres some great riding within an easy drive of the border if you know where to go. You definitely want local advice
    on that, though

it was only about 5 mile. so i walk into the first gas station in Gila Bend with my bike in one hand and a gas can in the other and ask to prepay for 1 gallon -- this greatly perplexed the clerk, not quite putting 2+2 together.

it'd be great if some of the MX folks turn me onto something not too far - just never occurred to me before that there would be a riding scene there, and i'm usually perfectly content to hang on the beach and drink heavily. but that would be such a hoot to check out something new in another country. thanks again for the tip!

Kathleen in AZ
    Beach cruisers and sea kayaks are good options for Puerto Penasco...

Kathleen in AZ
    Kicking back and doing not much of anything is another good option...
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 11-20-2007 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i got a condo there, never saw anyone riding so i leave the bikes at home. hmmm sounds like a road trip!

Tucson, AZ
    PM if so. i'll be spinning in circles around Las Conchas every day, company would be awesome.
    Have fun man.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Kicking back and doing not much of anything is another good option...
    maybe on Planet DurtGurl where the inhabitants are thin, but all us nacho-inhaling drunks need to workout daily or gain 10lbs in one sloshy weekend.

definitely will do some kayaking, i think the water will be too cold to swim for any length of time.

have a great holiday and FOTP!

--ginormous man trapped in a tiny mtb'rs body

mtbr member
    You Gringos crack me up. Can't get away for a weekend without exercises. Only thing I do in Rocky Point is drink and sleep, and sometimes drink.

Watch out for the jellyfish.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Tucson, AZ
    definitely will do some kayaking, i think the water will be too cold to swim for any length of time.

have a great holiday and FOTP!

--ginormous man trapped in a tiny mtb'rs body
    I think it would be fun to toss your biggest tires on your bike and ride up that big sand hill with the rest of the ATVs/Jeeps. There should be some "pump" tracks in the area that ATVers use (I use the word "pump" loosely since they are sandy as hell).

Meatbomb
    Competition Hill is not what it use to be .. I remember back in the 70's when few people even made the top .. The equipment has gotten better as the hill gets smaller .

parenting for gnarness
    for fun and excitement, I warm up around Las Conchas then ride through town for a while. you gotta go early before traffic gets going and its really dangerous, but man it is urban freeride danger at its best! the drivers generally are ok if you stick to side streets, and dont even try getting your 3 feet of space. foot tall curbs, broken and ramped up sidewalks, packs of loose dogs, optional traffic lights...it definitely gets your blood going.

Meatbomb
    the Topas make great ramps tho

All That is Man
    I'm surprised they actually have trails down there. I considered bring my bike to San Carlos last time we went, but I figured A-there are probably no trails and B-my bike would get stolen in a heartbeat.
    John

Meatbomb
    25 years of traveling all over Mexico and have yet to have anything stolen from me.... Other than an ice chest that was stolen by a couple drunk spring break punks.

parenting for gnarness

a few pic

1. Las Conchas' first mile of pristine new bike lane
    2. biggest hill in the neighborhood, with Double Black Diamond gnar gnar speed bump at bottom. Sometimes i think about shifting out of the big ring when climbing this...
    3. estuary

another great weekend. cooking for 4 hrs is not so bad when the kitchen is surrounded by windows facing the ocean. my daughter and dog fought it out for licking clean the mixing bowl of pie-filling. daughter won, dog got distracted by licking the bag the turkey came in. beach, beer and leftovers for the next 3 days. Sunday i rode across town, only almost-died once, got chased by 3 dogs in succession, and returned with 2 liters of tequilla stuffed into my backpack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian
    @chollaball- Im suprised I didnt see you down there. I was thinking of bringing the single speed down there but I ended up not taking my car. I was down at the first and second estuary almost every day over the holiday. I fish at the first estuary from the other side as las chonchas although I didnt get so much as a bite. However, the fishing at the second estuary was amazing. We walked from the myan palace down there and caught about 55 sea trout, 3 pompano, and three nice flounder. If you find any trails down there that are worth riding defenatley let me know!

All That is Man
    Sounds like an awesome time! I like those pics too. What's causing the edges of the photos (2 and 3) to blur like that?
    John

parenting for gnarness
    AzTracer - hahah yeah it looks like your house is just on the other side of Cedo point from us? nice digs. that pic was facing across the estuary towards Mayan Palace. One of the new condo projects has put in an access road that is mostly-ridable, and it takes you out on a spit of land with the oyster farms estuary on one side, and the sea\Mayan palace area on the other. sounds like a good day of fishing...i wonder if the new condo construction is going to affect the life in the estuary ? there aint squat that is really worth riding down there, but its better than no riding at all.

Zero Signal - those images had their resolution taken down so I could post. Possibly also my digital cam struggled with the bright light and foreground\background? the dt's from 4 days of drinking might have contributed too

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Signal
    Sounds like an awesome time! I like those pics too. What's causing the edges of the photos (2 and 3) to blur like that?

Maybe he was taking the pictures through the tequila bottle.

Members who have read this thread: 0