Anyone Riding in the Rain Tomorrow? (AKA Anyone Commuting in the Snow Tomorrow?)- Mtbr.com
    Just Joshin' ya!

Anyone Riding in the Rain Tomorrow? (AKA Anyone Commuting in the Snow Tomorrow?)

I am hoping to hit up SOMO again and ride national. I won't ride if the rain gets out of control tonight in respect to the trails, but if it is just a sprinkling, I am out. I am flexible on the time so if you want to ride from Pima, post up.
    Last edited by PrincipalRider; 02-09-2009 at 05:40 PM.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    I am hoping to hit up SOMO again and ride national. I won't ride if the rain gets out of control tonight in respect to the trails, but if it is just a sprinkling, I am out. I am flexible on the time so if you want to ride from Pima, post up.
    I am game for a ride today if the weather cooperates. BrianC and Boston Greg are in for Somo too but I'm thinking it won't happen till later today as B's email was sent to me at 2:38 this morning. Zzzzz

Radar looks like the rain will be heading off to the east so maybe a noonish start? 2? I was thinking Mormon, Holbert, road, Corona Loma but of course am open to whatever. I'm surprised how good I feel today after yesterday's Goat Camp ride. I'll post up or call when they wake up and we get the ride organized.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Sweet, let me know. I will start getting my "chores" done this morning so that if the weather clears, I can head out.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Kathleen in AZ
    Sweet, let me know. I will start getting my "chores" done this morning so that if the weather clears, I can head out.
    Holy crap, it's raining like crazy out there now and the sun was out just 20 minutes ago. But I still have high hopes for an afternoon ride.... radar shows this as the last green blob...

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Hey keep posting the SOMO rain status....

I want to sneak out there early afternoon for a ride when the kids are napping...

thanks,
    bobo AKA dude with the beak....

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Holy crap, it's raining like crazy out there now and the sun was out just 20 minutes ago. But I still have high hopes for an afternoon ride.... radar shows this as the last green blob...
    I bet a 2:00 start will be best. THe sun is out at my house (20th St and Baseline) and it seems to be breaking up coming from the west.

mtbr member
    it looks like the rain has stopped on SoMo. I think a 1pm ride time would work. I have no idea how long my knee will hold up, but I'll do what I can. YoGreg is primed for anything.
    b

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    it looks like the rain has stopped on SoMo. I think a 1pm ride time would work. I have no idea how long my knee will hold up, but I'll do what I can. YoGreg is primed for anything.
    Indeed! Sun is shining and skies are clearing to the SW and house chores are almost done. It'll be a beautiful ride today... Meet at the N ramada at 1? or my house at 1 and meet others at the ramada at 1:30?

Kathleen in AZ
    We'll be rolling by the ramadas at Pima Canyon at 1:30 if anyone wants to join us...

Weather is looking good but pack a rain jacket just in case!

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I was heading out to SoMo today at around 10am and as I got to the 10 Frwy it was dark and raining. I decided to flip it and head over to Hawes since it looked pretty clear over that way. From the time it took me to drive the 202 all the way over to the McDowell exit it got super dark and started to come down. Just as I hit the exit I saw a big strike of lightning and heard huge thunder. I thought "F this" and flipped it again. As I got towards home, I could actually see SoMo so I head over to Warpaint and managed to squeeze in a quick ride. Sun came out and there were only 4 other riders on the trail.

Kathleen in AZ
    Wasn't sure if it would be a big ride or not today. It ended up being a big ride.... 27 miles big! Up National, down Holbert, up road, down Corona Loma.

Josh got to ride his new El Guapo and Kenny B was on his new Firebird. We got sprinkled on when riding up the fireroad from the meeting place, but then what a gorgeous day after the rain went away! The trails have new life to them, with Holbert and Corona Loma all etched out with sand and rocks moved around. Obviously, the mtn saw lots of rain today. After a sweet Holbert descent (I really do love that trail), YoGreg and I were on our own back up the road... plan was to ride the road to Telegraph and then drop to Desert Classic for the fastest way back to my house, but Greg was first and didn't know the way so we ended up at Buena Vista - no biggie because the views of the city were just about the most beautiful I had ever seen with the setting sun, clear air, and big poofy clouds. He had not yet done Corona Loma on any of his previous visits so off we went. The sun was setting as we were cresting the last climb and somewhere along the way down the delicious CL we looked up from the trail and noticed the moon. WOW. It was a fantastic end to a great day on the bikes.

After Goat Camping yesterday, today's ride, and then a big ol pile of food at Nellos, I'm heading for a coma. I wasn't in pic-taking mode today so missed getting shots of Josh on his new bike or Greg the visitor smiling big while enjoying the trails, but I did get Ken whooping it up on his new Pivot. And of course, I had to grab the moon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pivotal figure

More pix

I saw that sunset and also had to snap a shot! Climbed on the roof for this one Also, here's the shot I'm taking in the shot Kathleen took. Confused?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Just Joshin' ya!
    Wow, those pics of Ken do not do justice to that drop at all. He was hucking down to the transition at least a good 7 or 8 vertical feet.

Kathleen in AZ
    Wow, those pics of Ken do not do justice to that drop at all. He was hucking down to the transition at least a good 7 or 8 vertical feet.
    Here's one of those pics uncropped... it give better perspective of the drop.

wrecking crew
    Sweet! Gorgeous pics. Glad you guys got out! I didn't ride at all and now I'm jealous!

I did, however, see the spectacular cloud formations and the moon and kept getting Jeff out there to look at them.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    I got out for a quickie in the late afternoon and ran into Ken in the parking lot. Man that Firebird is nice.
    So eh BrianC... How are you feeling? You've done some serious riding over the last 4 days. Are you feeling Exhilerated, obliterated, all of the above?

mtbr member
    You got some nice pics going on in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    I got out for a quickie in the late afternoon and ran into Ken in the parking lot. Man that Firebird is nice.
    So eh BrianC... How are you feeling? You've done some serious riding over the last 4 days. Are you feeling Exhilerated, obliterated, all of the above?
    all of the above. I was able to ride myself into a nice fitness. but the goat camp full pull climb worked me. I over stressed my left calf and tendons in that knee. So I had to call yesterday's ride short.

but overall, it was a killer four days of riding, and time spent with friends.
    b

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I saw that sunset and also had to snap a shot! Climbed on the roof for this one Also, here's the shot I'm taking in the shot Kathleen took. Confused?

got any detail review of the bike? also what's the weight on that bad boy?

Looks sweet I might have to put that on my list of my new bike search!!

Just Joshin' ya!
    Here's one of those pics uncropped... it give better perspective of the drop.
    Damn! I'm fat. I need to do something about that.

Pivotal figure
    I haven't done a full on review yet but here's a quick rundown for the weekend's riding. It also has the build specs and weight (35 lbs).

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=490525

Fly High!
    what/where is that drop? think I recongnize it but not too sure.
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

Pivotal figure
    End of Holbert just off the road.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    got any detail review of the bike? also what's the weight on that bad boy?

Looks sweet I might have to put that on my list of my new bike search!!
    If you're searching for a new bike, firebird should be considered.

:P

Holbert huh? 'nother piece of SoMo I gotta put on The List. Maybe have to to Stupid Epic day there in March. Hm...

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    If you're searching for a new bike, firebird should be considered.

:P

Holbert huh? 'nother piece of SoMo I gotta put on The List. Maybe have to to Stupid Epic day there in March. Hm...
    There will be Chad's Stupid Fast Epic AZSF SoMo ride but I'd be willing to lead a Stupid Slow Epic SoMo ride if you're interested.... The ride I did yesterday would be perfect! Took us ~5 hours at a pretty relaxed pace. More epic? sure, we can do that too

Tucson, AZ
    There will be Chad's Stupid Fast Epic AZSF SoMo ride but I'd be willing to lead a Stupid Slow Epic SoMo ride if you're interested.... The ride I did yesterday would be perfect! Took us ~5 hours at a pretty relaxed pace. More epic? sure, we can do that too
    Stupid Fast might not be in the cards this year, depends on how many people show up that want the Stupid part of said ride.

We should change this thread to who is commuting in the snow tomorrow? The Old Pueblo forecast says possibly snow tomorrow!

parenting for gnarness
    Chongoman mentioned something like that for the SOMO A ride, to mix up a couple of the DH runs. I do like the back side of National, but a run down Holbert and then up the road or Kiwanis would be a welcome change.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member

If your looking for a KILLER epic route, here it is....

start at Pima take National to Holbert

down Holbert then up road to Telegraph

down Telegraph to ruins trail

take ruins trail all the way to San Juan

from San Juan take National coast to coast back to Pima

I plan on trying this some time in the next month.

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very nice! Kenny appears to be letting that "bird" spread its wings for its first few flights.......fly! Nice pics DG, next time I shoot spiral staicase - was just really tired when I reached the top of GC - very little energy for the ride down.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I think that this ride has to be part of the AZSF. I think that Kort's idea of up National, down Holbert, up the road, and down Telegraph would be awesome. However, instead of doing all that other stuff, we should just go sit in your hot tub.

Chilling out
    i'm all over Stupid, really.

Fast? Maybe on some DH sections. Maybe.

What's Alta like?

Hmm. I *always* know how to find DG's 'tub ... gonna be a good time no matter what happens ...

Just Joshin' ya!
    i'm all over Stupid, really.

Fast? Maybe on some DH sections. Maybe.

What's Alta like?

Hmm. I *always* know how to find DG's 'tub ... gonna be a good time no matter what happens ...
    Ahh, who am I kidding, going back up the rode and down telegraph probably ain't happening. I will just ride Dobins back to my house. I guess I need to put in my own hot tub.

mtbr member
    Ahh, who am I kidding, going back up the rode and down telegraph probably ain't happening. I will just ride Dobins back to my house. I guess I need to put in my own hot tub.

So how's that new bike? doses it make the Haro seem like a pile of poo ?

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

mtbr member
    Looks like a great ride. Thanks for posting up.

How is the EG, Josh? Looking forward to a full report.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Looks like a great ride. Thanks for posting up.

How is the EG, Josh? Looking forward to a full report.
    It feels a tiny bit too big...but maybe I just need to get used to it. It handles really well and it eats up nasty trails so I do think it is pretty awesome. If I had an inch less on the top tube, which I would get on a medium, I think it would be better. I posted pics in the titus forum of the build. Go check it out.

Any chance of you making it to AZ for the Spring Fling? I need to get back to Vegas one day to ride the Cowboy Trails again!

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortface
    So how's that new bike? doses it make the Haro seem like a pile of poo ?

I hate to say it, as I do have a soft spot for my old Haro, but the El Guapo out handles it easily, even though it has a slightly longer wheelbase and top tube length. It also climbs much, much easier and gets way better traction. I held speed down holbert that was unthinkable on the Haro.

mtbr member
    Any chance of you making it to AZ for the Spring Fling?
    I'm still trying to figure out when I can get to AZ this spring. Hopefully for the AZSF but it may be later, during our spring break.

Glad you're enjoying the El Guapo. I'll go check it out now.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0