Anyone ride a bullit UP National?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone ride a bullit UP National?

I've read alot of reviews and people seem to think a bullit pedals really well. I'm in the market for something more burly and the bullit is at the top of my list.. My only concern is that it may be too much to pedal up a trail like National. I currently ride up national on my 5" bike and clean everything, I would hate to get a bike that I would have to put a foot down and push up stuff.

Anyone else been in the same situation? thoughts? opinions? I would love to get a more burly ride like the bullit that still pedals. weight is not an issue. It only makes you stronger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnatiAZ
    I've read alot of reviews and people seem to think a bullit pedals really well. I'm in the market for something more burly and the bullit is at the top of my list.. My only concern is that it may be too much to pedal up a trail like National. I currently ride up national on my 5" bike and clean everything, I would hate to get a bike that I would have to put a foot down and push up stuff.

Anyone else been in the same situation? thoughts? opinions? I would love to get a more burly ride like the bullit that still pedals. weight is not an issue. It only makes you stronger.
    Bullit is a great bike.
    If you get one, get a coil shock instead of the DHX Air. On the Bullit, the Air blows through the travel, then stiffens at the end. So, if you are climbing, the rear sags too much and the head angle gets way too slack - you will be fighting to keep it straight on the climb. With a coil, no problem.

Also, an adjustable-travel fork (like a Domain U-Turn) would make climbing much easier.

My medium green 2007 is for sale, PM if interested.

Edit - yes, I rode mine up National many times and also rode it Coast to Coast.

Shred...it's the new drug
    bullits rule! I gotta 2000 model with a coil and it had no problems ripping up and down natty. buy that bike, you'll never regret it. I'm about to turn mine into an all mountain rig. Anyone got a single crown 6-7" fork for sale?

mtbr member
    I would definitely get a coil, this seems to be the consensus with other bullit owners as well. I think I would need a large bullit since i'm 6 feet tall.

Just curious what are you replacing the bullit with?

mtbr member
    I would definitely get a coil, this seems to be the consensus with other bullit owners as well. I think I would need a large bullit since i'm 6 feet tall.

Just curious what are you replacing the bullit with?
    Yeah, they do tend to run smaller...my Medium is kinda of small. Check out the Pig, I saw they have a green Bullit with a Domain for sale, Large. Perfect! That's where I bought mine.

A Giant Glory. I do more DH and FR than climbing and wanted something bigger than the Bullit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    bullits rule! I gotta 2000 model with a coil and it had no problems ripping up and down natty. buy that bike, you'll never regret it. I'm about to turn mine into an all mountain rig. Anyone got a single crown 6-7" fork for sale?
    Yes...but it comes with the Bullit

Shred...it's the new drug
    ha...I got the bullit already, unless you're willing to part with it for $300.

parenting for gnarness
    can't speak for a bullit, but I have a Heckler which has a lot in common. Its about 33lb w. pedals. I'm the limitation, not the bike. I have a coil which i thought was overbuilt originally but my riding has come up to it. The single pivot seems to handle chunk like National well - it compresses, then pauses before rebound and helps push you over lifts. at least that is what it feels like to me.

that all said, people say amazing stuff about the Turner Highline which is probably comparable travel and burliness.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    can't speak for a bullit, but I have a Heckler which has a lot in common. Its about 33lb w. pedals. I'm the limitation, not the bike. I have a coil which i thought was overbuilt originally but my riding has come up to it. The single pivot seems to handle chunk like National well - it compresses, then pauses before rebound and helps push you over lifts. at least that is what it feels like to me.

that all said, people say amazing stuff about the Turner Highline which is probably comparable travel and burliness.
    I'm also interested in the heckler but lean towards the bullit since it is more burly and more freeride oriented. Weight isn't an issue as long as it is under 40 pounds. I think a bullit could be build up under 37 fairly easy. If I went with the heckler I think I would kick myself for not getting the bullit. I have seen some guys do some gnarly stuff on hecklers though.

mtbr member
    I've got a 888 and heavy freeride build on my bullit and I climb National with it. It's a boat anchor on long sustained climbs, but I think it actually climbs better than my smaller 5" rocky mountain for short, steep, tech climbing. I certainly don't clean everything on National on either bike though, so take it with a grain of salt. The propedal on the DHX coil works great with this type of single pivot on the climbs.

parenting for gnarness
    I'm also interested in the heckler but lean towards the bullit since it is more burly and more freeride oriented. Weight isn't an issue as long as it is under 40 pounds. I think a bullit could be build up under 37 fairly easy. If I went with the heckler I think I would kick myself for not getting the bullit. I have seen some guys do some gnarly stuff on hecklers though.
    like I said, I'm sure I'm the limitation. But if you want bigger and more FR, the Bullit is right for you. I wanted an AM ride.

Santa Cruz has on their website a bike builder that includes weight - its only their kits, but it should help you get a good concept of your what your build will weight. If you added about 1.5 lbs to the frame, and a 36 TA air fork (I have a 32 Pike air), and maybe some burlier rims...you'd be pretty close the weight you had in mind. Coil fork, big fat 2.5+ tires and a few other details might get you closer to 40.

Adventure in Mesa usually stocks Bullits. I did a partial custom build and they were great in working with me. But I don't think they do as many custom builds as some other shops.

good luck!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

"Yabut"
    I have a friend that rides his Bullit everywhere. He has even rode it on The Flight of The Pigs!
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    I can ride my highline up national, but downhill it's super-overkill. If you're building a bike with going down national in mind, keep in mind there's nothing real crazy and a 5-6" bike will easily go faster with any type of skill, the bigger bike just slows you down unless it's steep downhill.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I can ride my highline up national, but downhill it's super-overkill. bigger bike just slows you down unless it's steep downhill.
    I come from a xc background so going up is fun for me and I like clearing obstacles going up. Are you able to clean most of national or are you ever thinking "this is too much bike"

I know what you mean the bigger bike slows you down. When I went to whistler the DH bikes sucked to pedal in the flatter areas. However; going off the drops and jumps was a hoot! So now I'm wanting something more than my 5" bike and don't want a 6" since it will feel too much like the bike I have now. Seems like the bullit may be the answer

Elitest thrill junkie
    I come from a xc background so going up is fun for me and I like clearing obstacles going up. Are you able to clean most of national or are you ever thinking "this is too much bike"

I know what you mean the bigger bike slows you down. When I went to whistler the DH bikes sucked to pedal in the flatter areas. However; going off the drops and jumps was a hoot! So now I'm wanting something more than my 5" bike and don't want a 6" since it will feel too much like the bike I have now. Seems like the bullit may be the answer
    I think you're underestimating the capability of some of those 6" bikes, some like the turner RFX ride way different than their lesser travel breathen, like the 5spot. So even though there's less than an inch difference in the travel (5.5 vs 6.4 for the 2008 models), the ride due to the geometry and everything else is far different.

I can climb just about anything, but yeah it's a monster of a bike to take uphill, my highline is built heavy with 888WC and all. It's not about the bike though. On the other hand, you don't get as much payoff with a bike that big, again unless it's a steeper downhill, you're working pretty damn hard on the downhill just to keep a decent speed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Just Joshin' ya!
    I think you're underestimating the capability of some of those 6" bikes, some like the turner RFX ride way different than their lesser travel breathen, like the 5spot. So even though there's less than an inch difference in the travel (5.5 vs 6.4 for the 2008 models), the ride due to the geometry and everything else is far different.

I can climb just about anything, but yeah it's a monster of a bike to take uphill, my highline is built heavy with 888WC and all. It's not about the bike though. On the other hand, you don't get as much payoff with a bike that big, again unless it's a steeper downhill, you're working pretty damn hard on the downhill just to keep a decent speed.
    Watching Jayem descend National (once) reminded me of watching an aircraft carrier sail through rough seas. It is so big that it almost looks like it is moving in slow motion. The fork just sucked up everything, but so much so that it looked like it was absorbing momentum....I see what he says about working to keep speed on flatter terrain (ha, I just called national flatter terrain).

I bet on steep, nasty trails though, that bike is like a freight train.

The question is though, does the bullit handle like a highline? With a 160 mm fork, the bullit has a pretty steep head angle (for a 7 inch travel bike) and is pretty snappy. It feels like AM instead of FR/DH.

It is funny that you are asking this question. I had the same as I am demoing lots of bikes these days in anticipation of buying one soon. The Bullit at Slipper Pig has caught my eye, but there is no way I would buy it with that crappy DHX air. I have never had any luck with that shock at all and it has always blown through its travel on me. The fox float R shock has been better than this POS.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This is an obvious answer, but if you find or know anyone that has a Bullitt...ask for a chance to ride it. If we ever cross paths, you're welcome to give mine a spin.

Without knowing you and how/what you currently ride, it's tough to say the Bullitt is the "right choice".

I've had mine for almost exactly 8yrs now. It's got a fox coil with reservoir rear shock and a 'Zochi QR20 up front (old school!). Travel is 6" rear/ 5" front. Rest of build is pretty standard reliable (shimano XT) stuff, Sun Rhino Lite rims and some rather hefty tires (Intense 2.7DH front...cheap but effective can't remember rear, 2.4). Large frame...a solid 37lbs. I'm 6'2" and prolly just about maxing out that frame size. 6'...you'd prolly be perfect.

To me, it does everything good...but can't say it's excellent in one category. A bit small for DH, and too heavy for XC. I still LOVE the bike, though. It's just "stable". And if you have the leg strength and/or are willing to adjust your climbing style (if you need to)...it does climb pretty good. I run out of leg strength on long stuff, or like National where I have to perform some "all body" moves to hop/work some of the sections/obstacles....but that's just me.

My other FS bikes have been a VooDoo Canzo (URT!) and I now also have a Superlight. The SL is OK, but just feels flimsy to me. Not comforting at all when speeds pick up...even on easy trails. I weigh ~180, so may be pushing the limits of the SL???

I've ridden some 4-link bikes - a few Titus Quasi's, Ellsworth Moment, Intense Uzzi SLX and M1. The 4-links seem better...but not "huge" diffs. Not enough that I wish I spent the extra $800+ for one of them frames as opposed to the Bullitt frame. Except of course the M1! If I had dedicated to DH...wow! That bike was like cheating by comparison to my lil' Bullitt!!!

Bottom line...8yrs later, bike still rides great. The design hasn't changed much and is still competitive in the market. Would I like a new ride, too? Sure. But the damn Bullitt just suites what I do...so............

Anyway...good luck!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    I see what he says about working to keep speed on flatter terrain (ha, I just called national flatter terrain).
    It's only that last half mile of National on the "downhill" side that is "fast". On that section, I'm flippin "gone", but otherwise it's a b*tch to keep the speed up. I just like riding the highline anyway.
    Last edited by Jayem; 01-15-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Just Joshin' ya!
    It's only that last quarter mile of National on the "downhill" side that is "fast". On that section, I'm flippin "gone", but otherwise it's a b*tch to keep the speed up. I just like riding the highline anyway.
    For sure. I was thinking about the sections between the saddle and the waterfall.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Happy trails
    the first time i saw someone clean the whole "widow maker" section up morman,they came up on a bullit w/ jr.t fork.that was seven years or so ago.with todays shocks i'm sure they climb even better now.
    Aaron

Members who have read this thread: 0